ADVERTISEMENT

Changing the topic to something a little less contentious …car insurance

zeke4ahs

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2003
So I kind of forgot I’d be paying more insurance when I got a new car. I hate it, but I suppose I have to go insurance shopping. I’ve been with my company for more than 30 years. Is it reasonable to be paying $500 a month insurance on a 2018 Audi? I’ve had a few claims, but a pretty decent driving record. Also, if I choose to pay it off instead of carrying a loan, are there things I can drop to make coverage cheaper?

• Wow
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
So I kind of forgot I’d be paying more insurance when I got a new car. I hate it, but I suppose I have to go insurance shopping. I’ve been with my company for more than 30 years. Is it reasonable to be paying $500 a month insurance on a 2018 Audi? I’ve had a few claims, but a pretty decent driving record. Also, if I choose to pay it off instead of carrying a loan, are there things I can drop to make coverage cheaper?

That’s about right if you’re driving a $120,000 R8. But if you’re talking about an A4 or similar it’s absurd. We pay less than $150 a month for three vehicles including a 2020 BMW. Go online to Progressive and get a quote.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
$500/month seems insane. That's what....a $30-40k valued car?
Little over 40,000. That’s what I thought . It’s considered a sports car I know and a luxury but that still seems crazy high.

That’s about right if you’re driving a $120,000 R8. But if you’re talking about an A4 or similar it’s absurd. We pay less than $150 a month for three vehicles including a 2020 BMW. Go online to Progressive and get a quote.
Wow. Thanks! It’s an A5S.

No. That’s way too much

Wow. Thanks! It’s an A5S.
I used to have a 2019 A5, until some clown rear ended me and totaled it. You should be paying nowhere near that much unless you’re extremely high risk. Shop around.

BTW, do you have the Virtual Cockpit dashboard? I loved that.

I used to have a 2019 A5, until some clown rear ended me and totaled it. You should be paying nowhere near that much unless you’re extremely high risk. Shop around.
I pay for an S90 Volvo, a 5 series and a 3 series and it’s about $650

Let me guess, you sold the farm, paid of debit and have a terrible credit score because you are not borrowing. ?
Car insurance rates are based on your credit score, among other things. That is a total pile of Horse shit !!
$500 a MONTH? I wouldn't pay $500 a year. Anything more is a total waste for my record.

But you say you've had a "few claims". I have a daughter who has had "a few claims". Usually right before she goes to the meth clinic. AGAIN.

Pay it off. Drop down to PL & PD. Don't wreck. Set the $6K aside and self insure for any fender benders. Insurance is a losing proposition.

By the way, I’ll offer some additional off topic advice as an Easter egg for anyone who bothers reading this thread. Here it is. The new Beverly Hills Cop Axel F movie is horrifically bad. I’m not talking about bad, but entertaining in a mindless way. I’m talking about just plain bad. As in it’s almost impossible to watch. Just terrible with no redeeming qualities.

Pay it off. Drop down to PL & PD. Don't wreck. Set the $6K aside and self insure for any fender benders. Insurance is a losing proposition.
The problem is that $6k isn’t covering any fender bender on that car. They are quite expensive to fix.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
By the way, I’ll offer some additional off topic advice as an Easter egg for anyone who bothers reading this thread. Here it is. The new Beverly Hills Cop Axel F movie is horrifically bad. I’m not talking about bad, but entertaining in a mindless way. I’m talking about just plain bad. As in it’s almost impossible to watch. Just terrible with no redeeming qualities.
Ok, so since you started it and it's a Zeke thread.

Do you remember that time, that we talked about that thing, that I really realy didn't like and I kinda got mad because the trash wasn't taken out AGAIN, and we had shell fish the night before which might have caused me to break out, but the dog barked all night at the neighbors new light that shines in our back yard? Kohls has a sale next week.

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
Easy to say, but what if she sees The Donald in a crosswalk?
Car Crash GIF

Reactions: ulrey
Let me guess, you sold the farm, paid of debit and have a terrible credit score because you are not borrowing. ?
Car insurance rates are based on your credit score, among other things. That is a total pile of Horse shit !!
$500 a MONTH? I wouldn't pay $500 a year. Anything more is a total waste for my record.

But you say you've had a "few claims". I have a daughter who has had "a few claims". Usually right before she goes to the meth clinic. AGAIN.
No my credit score is still good. A few claims in 30 years isn’t awful, is it? I’m trying to remember when the last one was. Probably close to 10 years.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Yes Quattro….don’t know what that means. Still getting used to all the bells and whistles. Was it sloooow concert traffic the other night and it kept beeping at me anytime someone walked by, it was really annoying for 40 minutes!
Were you in gear and it was warning you that you had traffic approaching?
If you have turned on a turn signal, it would know that you were looking for traffic and only made your seat vibrate when people walked by...

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Were you in gear and it was warning you that you had traffic approaching?
If you have turned on a turn signal, it would know that you were looking for traffic and only made your seat vibrate when people walked by...

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I was in gear with foot on brakes. I think I finally put it in Park, it was warning me that people were walking close to me, in front, beside, and in back.

I don’t think in any. I had someone open their car door into me in a narrow street in Btown about 8 years ago I’m pretty sure is the only thing in the last decade.
Easily covered for less than $6K.

Easily covered for less than $6K.
Yes it wasn’t much at all. His car was fine and mine was side mirror. He was driving a rental Mercedes though and wasn’t the designated driver. He was scared. Tried to switch drivers.

No my credit score is still good. A few claims in 30 years isn’t awful, is it? I’m trying to remember when the last one was. Probably close to 10 years.
In 30 years, no...

My apologize my lady, I could have sworn you said in the last couple years. ... Simple, straight answer... you are getting hozed. Shop it around and more importantly, if you've been with your current provider for long. Go stand on there desk and bitch like they were donald effing trump. Be that level of pissed off.
They will either find a fix for you, our you will find a fix for them.
My money is that they are gambling that you will simply pay it, if you've been there for a bit.

Now back to the fun stuff. Men vrs Women.. lol

• Love
Reactions: stollcpa
In 30 years, no...

My apologize my lady, I could have sworn you said in the last couple years. ... Simple, straight answer... you are getting hozed. Shop it around and more importantly, if you've been with your current provider for long. Go stand on there desk and bitch like they were donald effing trump. Be that level of pissed off.
They will either find a fix for you, our you will find a fix for them.
My money is that they are gambling that you will simply pay it, if you've been there for a bit.

Now back to the fun stuff. Men vrs Women.. lol
Haha. As much as I like to argue here, I absolutely suck as a negotiator. But I have an acquaintance I can call tomorrow to get a quote and then I’ll call and tell them. I tried to do online Progressive but they wanted me to drive with an attachment for a week. Uh no.

I do appreciate being able to come here and have several guys help me out on things I know nothing about. I’ve got plenty of guys friends but I’m not going to call and bother a bunch of them when it’s easy to hop on here and get some opinions. Thanks!

Something very wrong. Better find new agent.

I do appreciate being able to come here and have several guys help me out on things I know nothing about. I’ve got plenty of guys friends but I’m not going to call and bother a bunch of them when it’s easy to hop on here and get some opinions. Thanks!

Bottom line is you'll need to carry full coverage if you're carrying a note. Pay it off and you at least have the option one way or the other.

My wife is very risk averse. (Might be a Canadian thing.) She doesn't know she only has PL&PD on her car. It's a nice car, but it's not worth anywhere close to $40K. If she totals it we can buy her another.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT