ADVERTISEMENT

Changing the topic to something a little less contentious …car insurance

Haha. As much as I like to argue here, I absolutely suck as a negotiator. But I have an acquaintance I can call tomorrow to get a quote and then I’ll call and tell them. I tried to do online Progressive but they wanted me to drive with an attachment for a week. Uh no.
This is where message boards get hard.
You've been with your provider for a long time, right? (I think you mentioned this a while ago). Which I also assume that means that you have some other stuff like home, life, jewelry, guns, vacation insurance. There is no negotiation, you simply set a day for a face to face meeting, explain that this $500 isn't going to cut it or I take everything down the road.
It does take some time setting with other agents, to get their offers after you present your entire portfolio for a competitive counter offer.

OR, as Mark ( I think) said, Put it under a liability only plan and move on.... IF it's less than about $35-$55 a month. You are rich, you can replace your own crap.

Reactions: UncleMark
OR, as Mark ( I think) said, Put it under a liability only plan and move on.... IF it's less than about $35-$55 a month. You are rich, you can replace your own crap.

I pay $700 a year for PL&PD on our three vehicles, total. Both of us have pristine driving records.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
So I kind of forgot I’d be paying more insurance when I got a new car. I hate it, but I suppose I have to go insurance shopping. I’ve been with my company for more than 30 years. Is it reasonable to be paying $500 a month insurance on a 2018 Audi? I’ve had a few claims, but a pretty decent driving record. Also, if I choose to pay it off instead of carrying a loan, are there things I can drop to make coverage cheaper?

Looked it up. We pay $815 a year on our 2018 A5 convertible. Clean driving record.

So I kind of forgot I’d be paying more insurance when I got a new car. I hate it, but I suppose I have to go insurance shopping. I’ve been with my company for more than 30 years. Is it reasonable to be paying $500 a month insurance on a 2018 Audi? I’ve had a few claims, but a pretty decent driving record. Also, if I choose to pay it off instead of carrying a loan, are there things I can drop to make coverage cheaper?
F#ck. This might be worse than getting shot in the ear. How many wrecks have you been in?

I pay $700 a year for PL&PD on our three vehicles, total. Both of us have pristine driving records.
Thats $58 a month. I didn't mean for my #'s to be concrete (Although I should now better, but I'm lazy). Seems pretty dang reasonable to me.
The last time I looked at insurance with our friend Karen over on Spencer, my PL PD was about $38/ month... That was probably 12 yrs ago. Since then, I turned everything over to the female who doesn't expect to live with me much longer. ... So I have no idea what we are paying.

I have a 17 y/o driving a new car (#Hamco things). AMA.

Also, you should shop your insurance every year. Also also, rates have gone us 22% YoY for all quarters so far 23 vs 24. Guess who's never going to be poor? The Catholic church and insurance companies.

The greatest trick the insurance companies ever pulled was getting state legislatures to make it mandatory.

I have a 17 y/o driving a new car (#Hamco things). AMA.

Also, you should shop your insurance every year. Also also, rates have gone us 22% YoY for all quarters so far 23 vs 24. Guess who's never going to be poor? The Catholic church and insurance companies.

The greatest trick the insurance companies ever pulled was getting state legislatures to make it mandatory.
I’ll bet 90 percent of the wrongful death cases I had had state minimum coverage

Reactions: larsIU
You need to find an independent broker. I've been using the same guy since 98 (other than some out of state living). I have full coverage on 2 vehicles, although they're older than your vehicle, and pay $770/yr. My homeowners is through him too and I'm right around 1k annually on it. I've been with the same company now for both of those for 14 years. He shops it every year and so far, not worth it to switch. My son uses him for auto also and he's moved him 3 times in 7 ir 8 years, each time finding him some savings without lowering coverage.

Happy to DM you his info.

Did the girls take you car and wreck it on 3rd st?
Holy shit, I had not even thought of this angle.
Did the girls ever tear down a power line?
Did the girls ever, successfully stop a train?
Did the girls ever park INSIDE a drive through.
Did the girls ever make a drive through in a carry out store only?

So many questions about your girls...... I mean, driving record. WE can save you though I am sure.

You need to find an independent broker. I've been using the same guy since 98 (other than some out of state living). I have full coverage on 2 vehicles, although they're older than your vehicle, and pay $770/yr. My homeowners is through him too and I'm right around 1k annually on it. I've been with the same company now for both of those for 14 years. He shops it every year and so far, not worth it to switch. My son uses him for auto also and he's moved him 3 times in 7 ir 8 years, each time finding him some savings without lowering coverage.

Happy to DM you his info.
Yes please! I have one person I want to talk to, but I’d like several. Thanks!

I just went through this nightmare a with my car. I was using Chubb and was paying $2,000 per quarter. On top of that. My health insurance with BCBS was $1,350 per month!

So, I just started dealing with health insurance “consultants”. And found the same coverage for less than $700 and I still can go to U of C Med Center, Northwestern Hospital and Rush. All the same docs.

But back to the car insurance, everyone said Chubb or Pure were the Rolls Royces of insurance. Wrong. So, I started just making phone calls and I went and met with State Farm. And they are seriously the best (at least the office I deal with). They cut my Auto Insurance in half with the exact same coverage! It’s a Greek family and everyone who works there is related. You just feel the family vibe. Just kind people.

I would be happy to forward all of these guys’ information to you and I think they can really help you. Let me know. They’re good people. It’s worth a try. No way you should be paying that much for an ‘18 Audi.

Let me guess, you sold the farm, paid of debit and have a terrible credit score because you are not borrowing. ?
Car insurance rates are based on your credit score, among other things. That is a total pile of Horse shit !!
$500 a MONTH? I wouldn't pay $500 a year. Anything more is a total waste for my record.

But you say you've had a "few claims". I have a daughter who has had "a few claims". Usually right before she goes to the meth clinic. AGAIN.
You don’t need to be borrowing to have a good credit score.

I pay that with 3 cars...

No my credit score is still good. A few claims in 30 years isn’t awful, is it? I’m trying to remember when the last one was. Probably close to 10 years.
If you haven't had a claim in 10 years and your car is around $40k new, then $500 a month is highway robbery. That is around 80% (give or take) of your likely car payment on a 5 year loan. Shop around.

Accidents usually only stay on your insurance "record" for 3 to 5 years.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Haha. As much as I like to argue here, I absolutely suck as a negotiator. But I have an acquaintance I can call tomorrow to get a quote and then I’ll call and tell them. I tried to do online Progressive but they wanted me to drive with an attachment for a week. Uh no.

WTF? Both my kids went through Progressive. I switched my cars to Progressive last year. No one ever had to drive around with anything for a week. It was literally a 30 minute process. You sure you didn't kill someone at some point?

I looked up my Progressive policy. This is what I pay. All are $250,000/$500,00 liability, Uninsured Motorist. Full collision and comprehensive with a $500 deductible. Rental car coverage. Etc.

2020 BMW 330i: $69 monthly
2018 Subaru Crosstrek: $40 monthly
2018 Fiat Spider Abarth: $33 Monthly

Total: $142 per month. You're getting taken.

Last edited:
WTF? Both my kids went through Progressive. I switched my cars to Progressive last year. No one ever had to drive around with anything for a week. It was literally a 30 minute process. You sure you didn't kill someone at some point?

I looked up my Progressive policy. This is what I pay. All are $250,000/$500,00 liability, Uninsured Motorist. Full collision and comprehensive with a $500 deductible. Rental car coverage. Etc.

2020 BMW 330i: $69 monthly
2018 Subaru Crosstrek: $40 monthly
2018 Fiat Spider Abarth: $33 Monthly

Total: $142 per month. You're getting taken.
Someone with Progressive insurance hit me on Memorial Day. I’m still dealing with those bastards….well I was, I filed the claim thru my insurance and they said they would go after them.

Someone with Progressive insurance hit me on Memorial Day. I’m still dealing with those bastards….well I was, I filed the claim thru my insurance and they said they would go after them.

When my car was totaled, I had dashcam footage of the whole incident. There could be no question of fault. My insurance company paid out right away for my total loss (less deductible) then went after the other driver's insurance to recoup the money (and my deductible). It took over a year, but I finally got the $500 back.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Looked it up. We pay $815 a year on our 2018 A5 convertible. Clean driving record.
I don’t even bother shopping for car insurance. Every car I’ve owned since 1985 is covered by USAA. They do me right the few times I’ve needed them - always the othe driver’s fault. I contact them with all the information and they care of everything. They even reserve the rental car while the car is in the shop. I compared prices a couple times years ago and they were a little more expensive, but not that much and it’s worth it for the service, plus I do home ownership insurance, credit card, banking, mortgages, etc. with them too.

My newest car they cover is an Audi RS5. Similar to yours but considerably less practical. ;) I’ve owned nothing but sports coupes to date. Wife likes 4 door vehicles so it worked out for when we need a practical drive. Adults aren’t going to ride in the back seats of mine.

Reactions: MrBing

I don’t even bother shopping for car insurance. Every car I’ve owned since 1985 is covered by USAA. They do me right the few times I’ve needed them - always the othe driver’s fault. I contact them with all the information and they care of everything. They even reserve the rental car while the car is in the shop. I compared prices a couple times years ago and they were a little more expensive, but not that much and it’s worth it for the service, plus I do home ownership insurance, credit card, banking, mortgages, etc. with them too.

My newest car they cover is an Audi RS5. Similar to yours but considerably less practical. ;) I’ve owned nothing but sports coupes to date. Wife likes 4 door vehicles so it worked out for when we need a practical drive. Adults aren’t going to ride in the back seats of mine.

It's my wife's car. I wanted the RS but she decided the A5 was enough power for her. Gotta say I am not real thrilled with my Audi. Little things keep failing - window motor, convertible top spring, keyfob - annoying as hell.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

It's my wife's car. I wanted the RS but she decided the A5 was enough power for her. Gotta say I am not real thrilled with my Audi. Little things keep failing - window motor, convertible top spring, keyfob - annoying as hell.
Mine has been great, except replacing the brakes was very expensive. The guy at the shop said, “Audi is very proud of their brakes.” I said, “they better be at that price!” They’re substantial brakes and smooth as butter when braking now.

Reactions: ribbont
Mine has been great, except replacing the brakes was very expensive. The guy at the shop said, “Audi is very proud of their brakes.” I said, “they better be at that price!” They’re substantial brakes and smooth as butter when braking now.
Next time tell them you know someone in the parts business who is calling bullshit.

I bet OEM pads and rotors are ridiculously expensive.
Speaking the language of the dream team. Hooky was watching the copa and James Rodriguez was playing for Colombia. I was like damn what happened to that dude. He had that massive World Cup a decade ago went to Real Madrid loaned to Bayern then disappeared. So now he comes back to play at retirement age playing in NB GRILLERZ cleats!! NB even targets players in their final years!!! How do they know. They honor their brand.

• Love
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Speaking the language of the dream team. Hooky was watching the copa and James Rodriguez was playing for Colombia. I was like damn what happened to that dude. He had that massive World Cup a decade ago went to Real Madrid loaned to Bayern then disappeared. So now he comes back to play at retirement age playing in NB GRILLERZ cleats!! NB even targets players in their final years!!! How do they know. They honor their brand.
Probably slipped into some jorts after the game and had the entire team over to his VRBO for burgers and dogs on the grill.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT