Saturday Nov. 16 at Penn State Nittany Lions
Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA Time TBA TV TBA
Saturday Nov. 23 Michigan Wolverines
Memorial Stadium, Bloomington, IN Time TBA TV TBA
Saturday Nov. 30 at Purdue Boilermakers
Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN Time TBA TV TBA

Reactions: CC Mac
FUTURE NON-CONFERENCE OPPONENTS
  • 08/31 - at Ball State (at Indianapolis, IN)
  • 09/07 - Eastern Illinois
  • 09/21 - UConn
  • TBA
  • 09/11 - Indiana State

WKU out/moved(?) and EIU in.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/02/indiana-host-eastern-illinois-2019/

2019 Indiana Hoosiers Football Schedule
Saturday Aug. 31 at Ball State Cardinals
Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN Time TBA TV TBA
Saturday Sep. 7
eastern-illinois1.png
Eastern Illinois Panthers
Saturday Sep. 14 Ohio State Buckeyes
Saturday Sep. 21 UConn Huskies
Saturday Sep. 28 at Michigan State Spartans
Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI Time TBA TV TBA
Saturday Oct. 5 OFF
Saturday Oct. 12 Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Saturday Oct. 19 at Maryland Terrapins
Maryland Stadium, College Park, MD Time TBA TV TBA
Saturday Oct. 26 at Nebraska Cornhuskers
Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA TV TBA
Saturday Nov. 2 Northwestern Wildcats
Saturday Nov. 9 OFF

Good move. Still 8 tough Big Ten games on there. Someone in the AD's office finally gets it...! Good job Fred & staff!!!

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-19/2019-indiana-hoosiers-football-schedule.php

///I still hate that Louisville future scheduling in trade for a couple of basketball games move though. That school can and does bring in guys who couldn't even get on campus here. That's more than a bit of a recruiting advantage..., which translates in to a lopsided matchup...///

Maybe they can fix that next. Even playing those clowns in basketball serves to re-legitimize Louisvilles' stinking carcasse of an Athletic Department..,

Last edited:

Saturday Sep. 7
eastern-illinois1.png
Saturday Oct. 5 OFF
Saturday Nov. 9 OFF
They’ll need to have 2 for 1 beer specials to get a decent crowd for that game.

That's the get the young guys ready for Big Time/Big Ten game. The one where you figure out who's really ready to step up and get into the 2nd and 3rd lineup rotations. It's the one that the players mothers and fathers can show up and hope to see their young son actually out there for a couple of minutes at the position they were recruited at...

I love watching that type of game, always have. You get to see a glimpse of the future of IU Football and make your own uninformed assessments of how good a guy really may be...;):D

Reactions: vesuvius13
That's the get the young guys ready for Big Time/Big Ten game. The one where you figure out who's really ready to step up and get into the 2nd and 3rd lineup rotations. It's the one that the players mothers and fathers can show up and hope to see their young son actually out there for a couple of minutes at the position they were recruited at...

I love watching that type of game, always have. You get to see a glimpse of the future of IU Football and make your own uninformed assessments of how good a guy really may be...;):D

You'll have 3 of them to watch.

I’m not sure I have ever seen another fan base piss and moan about playing a top 10 level schedule, because they think it’s too weak. It’s...odd.

And speaking of odd, we play 5 conference road games in odd years, so yeah, teams in that situation are going to try to add at least one easy win at home to make up for that. That’s just kind of obvious. And still, we’re going to have a really difficult schedule. How many big-name teams do you need to see? We’re going to play probably 4 top 15 level teams every single year.

Last edited:
Good move. Still 8 tough Big Ten games on there. Someone in the AD's office finally gets it...! Good job Fred & staff!!!

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-19/2019-indiana-hoosiers-football-schedule.php

///I still hate that Louisville future scheduling in trade for a couple of basketball games move though. That school can and does bring in guys who couldn't even get on campus here. That's more than a bit of a recruiting advantage..., which translates in to a lopsided matchup...///

Maybe they can fix that next. Even playing those clowns in basketball serves to re-legitimize Louisvilles' stinking carcasse of an Athletic Department..,
9 BT games.

I’m not sure I have ever seen another fan base piss and moan about playing a top 10 level schedule, because they think it’s too weak. It’s...odd.

And speaking of odd, we play 5 conference road games in odd years, so yeah, teams in that situation are going to try to add at least one easy win at home to make up for that. That’s just kind of obvious. And still, we’re going to have a really difficult schedule. How many big-name teams do you need to see? We’re going to play probably 4 top 15 level teams every single year.
Not sure why you take a handful of comments on a football board and generalize about an entire fan base. Sure, there are people who think the OOC schedule should be a murderers' row like Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma, but that position doesn't make a whole lot of sense and I'm pretty confident those folks are in the minority.

Saturday Sep. 7
eastern-illinois1.png
Saturday Oct. 5 OFF
Saturday Nov. 9 OFF
That's a tough schedule overall.

Not sure why you take a handful of comments on a football board and generalize about an entire fan base. Sure, there are people who think the OOC schedule should be a murderers' row like Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma, but that position doesn't make a whole lot of sense and I'm pretty confident those folks are in the minority.

I can see how you would read it that way as it's definitely how it was written.....but I'll be honest and say I I think he meant it differently, which is the way I read it. I think he meant we have more people than other fan bases that tend to complain about not having Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma on our pre-conference schedule every year. Every year there is a decent number of posters that complain about it and it's based off nonsense. There will be a time when IU should play a UF, Texas, Auburn, ND....etc in the pre-conference, but it's not now. Even so, our conference schedule is so brutal that it's hard to envision a reason we would even need go that route then. If we went undefeated in the season, we would be GUARANTEED a spot in the national title. Once you are certain of that, why push the agenda further?

I hope you're right.

It's not clear why we backed off Western Kentucky, which was also a home game scheduled for the same day. They lost to Illinois, Marshall, Georgia St., and La. Tech last year, and nearly lost to Middle Tenn. State, Old Dominion, and UTEP. If we backed off them to make the schedule easier, it's really pretty sad, don't you think?

Last edited:
I would much rather see 8 conference games and make every team schedule 1 P5 ooc opponent. F*ck 9 Big10 games. No adventure at all.

Reactions: Chriselli
I would much rather see 8 conference games and make every team schedule 1 P5 ooc opponent. F*ck 9 Big10 games. No adventure at all.

The bad thing about an 8 game Big 10 schedule for IU is that, because we play Purdue every year, we would only play Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, NW and Minnesota once every 6 years. I agree that most IU fans would rather play UL or UK or Cincy or Missouri or Pitt or W. Virginia in any given year than Rutgers or Maryland, but that wouldn't be the trade-off.

The bad thing about an 8 game Big 10 schedule for IU is that, because we play Purdue every year, we would only play Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, NW and Minnesota once every 6 years. I agree that most IU fans would rather play UL or UK or Cincy or Missouri or Pitt or W. Virginia in any given year than Rutgers or Maryland, but that wouldn't be the trade-off.
Ohh man Im talkin a juicy texas (austin), Colorado (Boulder), Ucla, washington, miami, ole miss, some fun roadies. We play all the difficult Big opponents tough so there is no reason we couldnt do some home and home games with some fun venues.

Also if anyone read the recruiting article posted not too long ago about branding and 15-17 year old kids, IU needs ALL the branding recognition it can get.

It's not clear why we backed off Western Kentucky, which was also a home game scheduled for the same day. They lost to Illinois, Marshall, Georgia St., and La. Tech last year, and nearly lost to Middle Tenn. State, Old Dominion, and UTEP. If we backed off them to make the schedule easier, it's really pretty sad, don't you think?

If IU was looking downgrade opponents, I would guess it is more likely about trying to rest up to go all in the following weekend when IU hosts OSU, or at the very least have a glorified bye week to lighten the grind of the season as a whole. We wouldn’t be in a good spot if we were worried about losing that specific game, but WKU has shown that it can test you and will likely be significantly better than they were this past year (year 1 of a new staff). In which case, going with EIU would allow IU to rest some first stringers and play a bit more conservative. Now you can debate the effectiveness of this strategy, but the big picture scenario makes more sense than thinking of it as a potential loss.

Reactions: 76-1
[QUOTE
If IU was looking downgrade opponents, I would guess it is more likely about trying to rest up to go all in the following weekend when IU hosts OSU, or at the very least have a glorified bye week to lighten the grind of the season as a whole. We wouldn’t be in a good spot if we were worried about losing that specific game, but WKU has shown that it can test you and will likely be significantly better than they were this past year (year 1 of a new staff). In which case, going with EIU would allow IU to rest some first stringers and play a bit more conservative. Now you can debate the effectiveness of this strategy, but the big picture scenario makes more sense than thinking of it as a potential loss.

The approach you outline is, in my way of thinking, the way it should always be done in regard to out of conference opponents.

With 9 Big Ten opponents year in year out (virtually guaranteeing a top 20 degree of difficulty in terms of schedule), adding any out of conference opponents who would increase this degree of scheduling difficulty doesn't make much sense to me.

These days there is always the chance of a loss (even to a supposedly lesser opponent) but the less wear and tear concept is the one I would hope we continue to pursue.

Reactions: ESalum86
What other choices were there besides Eastern Illinois? I had thought the P5 conferences were supposed to do away with FCS scheduling. I can understand a cupcake here and there, but this should be beneath IU if we are trying to fill the stadium. Count me as someone wanting Kentucky or Mizzou back on the schedule.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners

Yeah, I didn't see anything that indicated why. As a season ticket holder I would rather see a more significant opponent but it is still a tough schedule overall.

I can understand a cupcake here and there, but this should be beneath IU if we are trying to fill the stadium.
You're not thinking clearly. We are in, arguably, the toughest division in college football, and endure a grueling conference schedule week after week. Big crowds are nice, but the immediate objective is getting to six or more wins. Scheduling ooc games against SEC schools is not how you get there.

You're not thinking clearly. We are in, arguably, the toughest division in college football, and endure a grueling conference schedule week after week. Big crowds are nice, but the immediate objective is getting to six or more wins. Scheduling ooc games against SEC schools is not how you get there.
Getting better grades by taking easier classes isn’t a recipe for becoming smarter, but it makes your transcript appear better. Not exactly a virtuous path to building a successful program, especially when you’re dipping down to an EIU level school, but that’s the reality for a program like IU’s.

Getting better grades by taking easier classes isn’t a recipe for becoming smarter, but it makes your transcript appear better. Not exactly a virtuous path to building a successful program, especially when you’re dipping down to an EIU level school, but that’s the reality for a program like IU’s.

Overloading your course schedule will not put you at risk of injury. I understand where you are coming from, but not an effective analogy in my opinion.

Look at teams consistently in the hunt for the FBS title... Alabama stands out to me. Their 2018 schedule has LA-Lafayette, Arkansas State, and The Citadel. What is particularly intriguing to me is that they play The Citadel the week before Auburn and have a bye week before playing LSU. They have good athletes yes, but they also know how to manage their schedule. Regardless of what program you look at, the objective should be to keep the 18-24 year old athletes healthy and well rested throughout a long season.

Overloading your course schedule will not put you at risk of injury. I understand where you are coming from, but not an effective analogy in my opinion.

Look at teams consistently in the hunt for the FBS title... Alabama stands out to me. Their 2018 schedule has LA-Lafayette, Arkansas State, and The Citadel. What is particularly intriguing to me is that they play The Citadel the week before Auburn and have a bye week before playing LSU. They have good athletes yes, but they also know how to manage their schedule. Regardless of what program you look at, the objective should be to keep the 18-24 year old athletes healthy and well rested throughout a long season.
But those teams have already climbed to the top and are seeking to maintain their perch, whereas IU is much further down the hill and attempting to ascend. Playing the EIU’s of the world is a great way for a so-so program to get to 6-6, but it’s very unlikely to help you build that program into a consistent winner.

You never took a course like Music Appreciation as a breather from Organic Chemistry, Quantum Physics, and Advanced Calculus? And football scheduling is about virtue, now? Seriously?

Reactions: RBB89 and 76-1
You never took a course like Music Appreciation as a breather from Organic Chemistry, Quantum Physics, and Advanced Calculus? And football scheduling is about virtue, now? Seriously?

I actually took all of these classes at IU besides music appreciation. My substitute was Art History (FINA-H 100). I guess I could have swapped that out for Integrative Physiology in the same semester and failed out.

Nope, mainly because transcripts never lied. Anyone could spot a cake course from a mile away.

Nope, mainly because transcripts never lied. Anyone could spot a cake course from a mile away.

Who looks at/cares about transcripts? Even for grad/med/law school they only want an official transcript to verify GPA and grades in prerequisite courses. I knew plenty of people that became doctors/lawyers/etc that took their share of blow off classes.

Reactions: Chriselli and 76-1
You're nothing if not predictable - - clinging to an argument no matter how weak, flawed or fallacious. And making sure you get the last word. Have at it.

Exactly. My wife is an Alabama fan/grad and she, like the rest of their fans, knows that they will play a cupcake every single year before the Auburn game. They do this for a reason.

And yet we schedule Indiana State for 10 years from now, and you get people on here whining about how “we’re better than that.” It’s just dumb.

You're nothing if not predictable - - clinging to an argument no matter how weak, flawed or fallacious. And making sure you get the last word. Have at it.
There’s nothing flawed, weak or fallacious about the argument at all. You wouldn’t be so defensive otherwise.

I can see how you would read it that way as it's definitely how it was written.....but I'll be honest and say I I think he meant it differently, which is the way I read it. I think he meant we have more people than other fan bases that tend to complain about not having Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma on our pre-conference schedule every year. Every year there is a decent number of posters that complain about it and it's based off nonsense. There will be a time when IU should play a UF, Texas, Auburn, ND....etc in the pre-conference, but it's not now. Even so, our conference schedule is so brutal that it's hard to envision a reason we would even need go that route then. If we went undefeated in the season, we would be GUARANTEED a spot in the national title. Once you are certain of that, why push the agenda further?
^^^ This. ^^^

Every single offseason. Alabama schedules an FCS or FCS quality opponent every year before Auburn. Their fans know this and appreciate the strategy. They can rest players.

Reactions: 76-1
Exactly. My wife is an Alabama fan/grad and she, like the rest of their fans, knows that they will play a cupcake every single year before the Auburn game. They do this for a reason.

And yet we schedule Indiana State for 10 years from now, and you get people on here whining about how “we’re better than that.” It’s just dumb.
IU isn’t Alabama.

IU isn’t Alabama.

No, but we hope to be in that position someday.

We'll never get there scheduling two or three extra really tough games a year.

The wear and tear factor is the one that clearly holds the most water. There are no "sure wins" anymore, but there are teams that are less likely to knock out three starters when you play them.

I remember watching us play KY regularly. We have/had a winning record against them but nine years out of ten we incurred major injuries among the two deep that routinely cost us Big Ten wins later in schedule.

Smart Athletic Departments take the AL approach to scheduling (as outlined previously)...

Reactions: Bowlmania
IU isn’t Alabama.
And you're not Einstein. No school - - whether it's Alabama, Indiana or Podunk U - - wants to get the living shit beat out of them every week, increasing the risk of injury going into the conference schedule and/or a particularly important game. Everyone wants to maximize wins and counterbalance the brutality of a Power 5 schedule with a lesser opponent or three.

Reactions: MrBing and 76-1
Ohh man Im talkin a juicy texas (austin), Colorado (Boulder), Ucla, washington, miami, ole miss, some fun roadies. We play all the difficult Big opponents tough so there is no reason we couldnt do some home and home games with some fun venues.

Also if anyone read the recruiting article posted not too long ago about branding and 15-17 year old kids, IU needs ALL the branding recognition it can get.

The wiliest scheduling I ever saw was that of Howard S. when he first came to UL. He'd play about 8 gimmes per year, and 3 of the hgihest profile teams he could schedule.even if he couldn't get a home and away.
No, but we hope to be in that position someday.

We'll never get there scheduling two or three extra really tough games a year.

The wear and tear factor is the one that clearly holds the most water. There are no "sure wins" anymore, but there are teams that are less likely to knock out three starters when you play them.

I remember watching us play KY regularly. We have/had a winning record against them but nine years out of ten we incurred major injuries among the two deep that routinely cost us Big Ten wins later in schedule.

Smart Athletic Departments take the AL approach to scheduling (as outlined previously)...

The problem with that for IU is that, unlike Bama, playing 3 crap OOC teams kills our attendance for those games and is a drag on season ticket sales. I'll give you your two crap teams if you'll give me one UL, Cincy, UK, Missouri, Pitt or WV per year.

I sit close enough to where our recruits are to see them walking around.....what do you think our chances are when they see 30000 at the game, and half of them go home at halftime? Sorry, don't think it works for us.

I do believe I am thinking clearly. Basically what I stated earlier was for IU to not degrade the schedule and play a FCS team. It won't help get seats filled (which many on here complain about) and doesn't create much excitement or rivalry of any kind. And I don't buy the excuse we can't schedule Kentucky or Mizzou to get to six wins. We've proven very capable to beat both and either school on the schedule would be a win-win situation regarding to having a rekindled rivalry and selling tickets.

Last edited:
And you're not Einstein. No school - - whether it's Alabama, Indiana or Podunk U - - wants to get the living shit beat out of them every week, increasing the risk of injury going into the conference schedule and/or a particularly important game. Everyone wants to maximize wins and counterbalance the brutality of a Power 5 schedule with a lesser opponent or three.
But you're saying that, in Year 3 of the Tom Allen regime, IU needs to have EIU on the schedule to enhance their chances of winning 6 games and being bowl eligible? I get what you're saying, but it's dumbing down the schedule to break .500. That's hardly program building.

Reactions: Upset Alert
I do believe I am thinking clearly. Basically what I stated earlier was for IU to not degrade the schedule and play a FCS team. It won't help get seats filled (which many on here complain about) and doesn't create much excitement or rivalry of any kind. And I don't buy the excuse we can't schedule Kentucky or Mizzou to get to six wins. We've proven very capable to beat both and either school on the schedule would be a win-win situation regarding a having a rekindled rivalry and selling tickets.
I disagree, at least at this juncture. I would gladly have taken a gimme and a bowl game in 2013 over those losses to Mizzou and Navy and no bowl.

Besides, we do have UConn - from the same conference as Cincy, Houston, Memphis, and some other pretty good programs. While the Huskies haven't been world-beaters lately, they gave us more than we wanted when Randy Edsall was there before. Now that he's back, I think that program might turn around again.

Right now, with the conference schedule as brutal as it is, we need non-con wins against teams that don't require our best players playing 60-70 snaps. As much as recruits want to play in front of big crowds they also want to play for teams that go to bowl games. I'll sit through a game with EIU in September every year for the chance to take a nice trip in December (hopefully in January someday soon).

Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT