ADVERTISEMENT

Change in Direction

HoosierNative

Redshirt
Sep 30, 2007
Hate to see people fired although this is sometimes the price of growth!

I could be mistaken but the Coach Allen press conference strongly suggests to me that there will be a change in defensive coordinator at the end of this season—maybe prior.

The look, directness, and vocabulary in the press conference are very similar to previous coordinator changes.

Obviously, if there is a head coaching change, this becomes a moot point. I think Coach Allen will be the head coach of the Hoosiers next season.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Changing coordinators is like re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
It's actually not. Changing coordinators is exactly what needs to be done and Carey is proof of it. The problem is the guy hiring coordinators gets it right 1/4 times. Hire Vince Koerhes from Toledo or the guy from SMU and we win 9 games next year. But Allen will call some friend of his who will recommend some guy who has never been a Coordinator and he'll hire him. Allen needs a hiring firm to handle all his hires. They would do a much better job.

The problem has always been, at its root, Tom Allen. The buck starts and stops with him.

Maybe Archie Miller wasn’t the problem in basketball at IU?
Maybe Tim Crean never should have been fired?

We know it wasn’t them. It’s their assistant coaches who just needed to be replaced.

Think that argument would hold water?

Allen has been here 7 years and replaced about 350 assistant coaches. Time to stop dicking around with this notion that Allen can have good teams with better coaches. It all falls in him.

And why in OT did they not even attempt to get a TD? It’s like they forgot all about the Penn State game. Terrible and gutless.

I dont think all the 2-3star recruits coming in next year will help change anything! Revolving doors never seem to stop! New coaches/players every year where most are’t good enough at this level! Never a change that can bring a permanent winning culture! I know what this feels like too much unfortunately since it seems everyone of my jobs Ive ever had have been revolving doors. Depressing times!

Yeah that made me mad.

Responsibility ducking. I mean, yeah the defense stunk. Which means Tom Allen let us down today. Not the young men.
Not to quibble but he said things were unacceptable and especially said the defense today. Is he wrong and I can't say from his statements that he is ducking accountability. When he says something is unacceptable it first means him, and he knows that regardless of what is said on here.

Not to quibble but he said things were unacceptable and especially said the defense today. Is he wrong and I can't say from his statements that he is ducking accountability. When he says something is unacceptable it first means him, and he knows that regardless of what is said on here.
It doesn’t matter. He’ll never get let go as long as his nephew is the athletic director.

The problem has always been, at its root, Tom Allen. The buck starts and stops with him.

Maybe Archie Miller wasn’t the problem in basketball at IU?
Maybe Tim Crean never should have been fired?

We know it wasn’t them. It’s their assistant coaches who just needed to be replaced.

Think that argument would hold water?

Allen has been here 7 years and replaced about 350 assistant coaches. Time to stop dicking around with this notion that Allen can have good teams with better coaches. It all falls in him.

And why in OT did they not even attempt to get a TD? It’s like they forgot all about the Penn State game. Terrible and gutless.

Tim Crean had big shoes to fill after Keith Sampson, melvin Dvis and Bruce Knight.

Changing coordinators is like re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
It’s doing BIG SOMETHING not the head coach. The head coach’s last act in trying to regain control. Tom of hatchets flying, the desperate culling of his herd in season come to turd.

I wish Tom wasn’t such a good man…an energetic one of Godly-spirit, the kind it’s hard to not like. If he ever wins enough to keep us happy, he will be one of the most extremely very well liked. Its an unlikely scenario so we won’t dwell on it.

The last two IU ballgames have been very entertaining…the yin yang of game endings, the contrast in energy flow.

Just roll with the punch-it softens the blow

It will be an interesting off-season as has been said before. Poor Tom just can’t seem to be able to get to the top. Now he’s sliding backwards, running out of steam.

Imagine if we win our last two games, this loss we should have won, the bowl dreams come undone.

It’s doing BIG SOMETHING not the head coach. The head coach’s last act in trying to regain control. Tom of hatchets flying, the desperate culling of his herd in season come to turd.

I wish Tom wasn’t such a good man…an energetic one of Godly-spirit, the kind it’s hard to not like. If he ever wins enough to keep us happy, he will be one of the most extremely very well liked. Its an unlikely scenario so we won’t dwell on it.

The last two IU ballgames have been very entertaining…the yin yang of game endings, the contrast in energy flow.

Just roll with the punch-it softens the blow

It will be an interesting off-season as has been said before. Poor Tom just can’t seem to be able to get to the top. Now he’s sliding backwards, running out of steam.

Imagine if we win our last two games, this loss we should have won, the bowl dreams come undone.

This sounds almost like 18th century prose or a Haiku.
I kind of like it.
With that said:
“Let them eat cake. Off with his head!”

I worry that at this point no coach will want to come to IU. Are we being called a grave yard for your career yet?
Allen has changed assistant coaches without wins. It is time to change HC. If/when we lose the last two, Allen should fall on his sword. Negotiate a buy out below 24 M and enjoy retirement.

I worry that at this point no coach will want to come to IU. Are we being called a grave yard for your career yet?
Allen has changed assistant coaches without wins. It is time to change HC. If/when we lose the last two, Allen should fall on his sword. Negotiate a buy out below 24 M and enjoy retirement.
Why should he "fall on the sword?" Why should he walk away from a penny of the compensation that IU is contractually obligated to pay him? Why should be retire at 53, with many high-earning years still ahead? Would you?

Yeah, we're going to finish 3-9, 4-8 or 5-7. Pretty shitty. But wait. This is a school where that's the norm. He's supposed to feel guilty about the past three seasons, resign and leave money on the table? Should be pretend 2019 and 2020 didn't happen? Should he leave his AFCA Coach of the Year Award on the table with the money he's walking away from?

Just to be clear, I'm not defending his record. In fact, if he loses the last two, or beats MSU but then loses to PU, I'd like to see him gone (understanding the buyout is a huge obstacle). I'm saying he's holding all the cards, he's got all the legal leverage, and he'd be a fool to do as you propose. He won't. And he shouldn't.

Mark Dantonio. Helluva coach. Knows the Big 10.
He’s 67. Sign him to a 5 year deal and see what happens. He cannot be fully retired. He came back to help out with MSU.

Reactions: kmathum
Just to be clear, I'm not defending his record. In fact, if he loses the last two, or beats MSU but then loses to PU, I'd like to see him gone (understanding the buyout is a huge obstacle). I'm saying he's holding all the cards, he's got all the legal leverage, and he'd be a fool to do as you propose. He won't. And he shouldn't.
Legally he's holding the cards because IU's lawyers were p***poor. Morally I'd argue if he can't do the job he's hired for he should negotiate a way, fair to both sides, to get out of it. Psychologically, how much fun can it be to fail Saturday after Saturday; surely the players are realizing they're being wasted under him, too. He, also, is or should be better off doing something else. Or nothing.

Legally he's holding the cards because IU's lawyers were p***poor. Morally I'd argue if he can't do the job he's hired for he should negotiate a way, fair to both sides, to get out of it. Psychologically, how much fun can it be to fail Saturday after Saturday; surely the players are realizing they're being wasted under him, too. He, also, is or should be better off doing something else. Or nothing.
I would imagine players understand things are more complicated than the problem simply being that the head coach is "wasting" them.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Just remember, Brenda Tracy is just a 1-800 phone call away.
Give her a couple million to entice Allen into recorded phone sex and then we save $18 million.
Oh…that was really bad. Just a sick thought. Forget all of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT