ADVERTISEMENT

Can a community of people suffer from group Borderline Personality Disorder?

Pretty amazing how one poster can simultaneously

man-splain
white-splain
boomer-splain
straight-splain
and HVAC-splain

EVERYTHING for us.

We are truly blessed to have it all so well defined from his lofty perch in the Rockies.

He can have all my shitty crypto. Hey how was that spot in fla for vaca? Less crowded than 30a?
It will be nice in 5 years. As is, had to go to down to Port St. Joe to spend any money. Can't fault them. They were ground zero for one of the most destructive hurricanes to ever hit the U.S.
But the beach was relaxing, and mostly empty near our place.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

man-splain
white-splain
boomer-splain
straight-splain
and HVAC-splain

EVERYTHING for us.

We are truly blessed to have it all so well defined from his lofty perch in the Rockies.
Interesting, too, that he keeps insisting pride events are a yawner for him while, at the same time, he started the discussion and he can't stop talking about them.

I have often wondered why some people make a big deal out of their heritage, their military service, their sexual orientation, their political party, their occupation, their college. their religion, etc., etc. and others don't.

I just found out my high school basketball coach who died a couple of years ago had a distinguished military career in WWII. He never talked about it. In fact he never talked about himself. His focus was always on learning about and helping the other guy. I have never met anyone who knew Coach Jones who did not consider him to be one of the most positive influences in their life.

In contrast to Coach Jones, i have known a good many people who are successful people at least partly because they are self promoters. They not only brag about their past but might even tend to exaggerate past accomplishments. On the plus side, they make generous donations to their colleges and are usually the first person to pick up the dinner tab.

Let us face it, the world is full of different types of people. Think of how dull life would be, if we were all alike.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I guess they queered up east side park pretty good.
LOL. No doubt some of churches in Daviess and Martin County are vehemently against these folks. But like most Catholics ignoring church teaching on abortion, most church and non church folks say live and let live.

man-splain
white-splain
boomer-splain
straight-splain
and HVAC-splain

EVERYTHING for us.

And there’s the problem! Woke bullshit words.

He can have all my shitty crypto. Hey how was that spot in fla for vaca? Less crowded than 30a?
tenor.gif

You're all over the place with this post, but I'm going to focus on one piece, the "pride" thing.

I assume you're a straight man. So am I. Do you think we can even begin to understand the challenges that gay people (and gay men in particular) have faced and continue to experience? That's why your comment: "I think it is strange that as gay rights is pretty much establishment orthodoxy these days, that Pride events are taking on increasing importance. Why?" is more than a little tone deaf.

There's a reason Carl Nassib's disclosure last week was headline news. Professional athletes are still reluctant to come out because a large segment of society is still not accepting of this. I think that's particularly true in "tough guy" environments such as professional football. The potential for backlash - - from opponents, fans and even teammates - - is very real.

It wasn't forever ago when Matthew Shepard was beaten, tied to a fence, and left to die in a frozen field in Wyoming. Hate crimes against LGBTQ people are still far too common. Kids are still killing themselves after being shamed by family members and friends for being gay.

I think you're out of touch.
I see gay,lesbian the lbgt etc people as people. They are to be treated with respect. I would have no problem having them over for dinner. If I was their neighbor I think they would see me as a positive influence who doesn't hurt a soul. If Michael Sams had ended up being a great Defensive End and was on the Colts I would root for him.
But I can't in good conscience say that their actions are right before God. God has spoken on the subject of sexuality and the fact is sexuality is only right in His eyes if it is between a married man and woman who are both physically born as male and female. Now those who differ from this are out of the Will of God. But that doesn't mean I can't treat them well and love them.
My sister lived with a man she was not married to. It was wrong. Did I stop loving her? No. A good friend of mine left his wife and three children for another woman. Did I stop loving him? No. Let us not confuse love and treating people right with acceptance of their activities. Who on here believes adultery is right? Go ahead and make the claim and then justify it. Who on here wants a son or daughter who sleeps around with many people and believe it to be right? Who on here believes that sex between close relatives is completely justifiable? See, we do have standards. It doesn't mean we accept all activity and that all activity is right. There is right and there is wrong.

Reactions: F.Fletch
I see gay,lesbian the lbgt etc people as people. They are to be treated with respect. I would have no problem having them over for dinner. If I was their neighbor I think they would see me as a positive influence who doesn't hurt a soul. If Michael Sams had ended up being a great Defensive End and was on the Colts I would root for him.
But I can't in good conscience say that their actions are right before God. God has spoken on the subject of sexuality and the fact is sexuality is only right in His eyes if it is between a married man and woman who are both physically born as male and female. Now those who differ from this are out of the Will of God. But that doesn't mean I can't treat them well and love them.
My sister lived with a man she was not married to. It was wrong. Did I stop loving her? No. A good friend of mine left his wife and three children for another woman. Did I stop loving him? No. Let us not confuse love and treating people right with acceptance of their activities. Who on here believes adultery is right? Go ahead and make the claim and then justify it. Who on here wants a son or daughter who sleeps around with many people and believe it to be right? Who on here believes that sex between close relatives is completely justifiable? See, we do have standards. It doesn't mean we accept all activity and that all activity is right. There is right and there is wrong.
Thank you, Pastor. That’s great. Where are we on your work with bowlmania? We all witnessed him confess his sins and seek your help on his journey to salvation, but then it seems like you kind of dropped the ball. It’s been radio silence for weeks. May we hear from you?

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Based on your comment, I have to ask if that those thoughts and beliefs would stop you from voting for someone in the LGBTQ+ group?

God has spoken on the subject of sexuality
Didn't he also speak on the wonders of slavery, the evils of pork eating, the crazy idea of planting two kinds of seed in the same garden, and the sinful abomination of weaving two different types of thread into one garment?

I guess my poly cotton tighty whiteys are sending me to the hot place. But they have bacon there...

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
This question arises from DANC's link below about Twitter trolls and mental illness. That link describes the mental pathology of Borderline Personality Disorder as this:

“identity disturbance with markedly or persistently unstable self-image or sense of self,”​
The author further states:

This is a marvellous, sympathetic piece on BPD; the metaphor it uses is that people with BPD are cognitively “lighter” than neurotypical people. That is: if you are heavy, it takes a lot to move you. So when something quite nice happens to a neurotypical person, it makes them slightly happier: the wind only moves them a little bit. When something quite unpleasant happens, it makes them slightly sadder.​
But if you are cognitively light, then the same events will move you much further. A small victory will make you thrill with joy; a small problem can make you suicidal (and BPD patients have a tragically high suicide risk in their younger years). It also applies to people’s opinions of others: “Either a relationship is perfect and that person is wonderful, or the relationship is doomed and that person is terrible,” as the NHS page on BPD puts it. This is called “splitting”, and again, it’s easy to think of it as someone being light, rather than heavy: being blown on the wind of events.​
People with these conditions feel emotions much more strongly. But they also have difficulty forming a strong self-image, and often take on very visible identities, such as being a Goth or a fan of a particular band, dyeing their hair or getting tattoos, in order to give themselves something solid to cling to.​
It's becoming obvious to me that large portions of the population of the US have lost a sense of community or social self and are searching for one. Nothing makes this more obvious than the Pride celebrations. I don't have strong opinions one way or another about Pride Week, Month, Parades, or Flags. To me its more of a meh. I think pride is important for people to have to give them a self image. But Pride seems to be a group thing these days. I think it is strange that as gay rights is pretty much establishment orthodoxy these days, that Pride events are taking on increasing importance. Why? Even the US Navy participates.
uss_gerald_ford_pride_flag_6-24-21.jpg

These days when pride in the United Stats is falling as the Stars and Stripes in some quarters is seen as divisive, as are celebrations like Memorial Day and Independence Day, the opposite is happening with Pride events. Why do we hold "Merry Christmas" as a divisive greeting yet we see a Rainbow Flag as inclusive? The opposite of pride is self-loathing. We are simultaneously seeing an increase in self loathing of the United States while an increase in pride in skin color and LBGQ celebrations. What is going on here? I think an understanding of Borderline Personality Disorder sheds some light on where we are as a common society.

The other relevant aspect of BPD is the author's metaphor of "light" emotional anchors. Such individuals are easily moved and swayed by minor, or fleeting, events. It seems to me that this is increasing throughout society. One aspect of this is, as the author notes, the idea that people and events are binary, all good or all bad. (There is no . . .ahem . . .nuance). How often have we heard that people or events are "polarizing"? I have never liked that term or that approach to thinking, but I never knew exactly why until reading DANC's link. People who think in polarizing terms are "light". With very rare exceptions, people or things should not be polarizing. There is always a deeper level of thinking to be done. This was brought home by this reporting about the National Archives and Thomas Jefferson. The United States was the first nation that codified such important ideas as government by consent of the governed, natural rights, and due process of law. Thomas Jefferson was a huge and vital part of that. Yet to describe these accomplishments as undeserved valor is hugely ignorant. To condemn TJ with setting in motion the displacement of Indigenous peoples is even more ignorance, in my view a product of BPD. TJ's role isn't any more important than the Spanish settlements and colonization of the entire Southwestern U.S., the California Gold Rush, the Santa Fe trail, and the thousands of settlers in search of better lives, just like todays migrants.

Cliff Notes Version,

some people are analytical thinkers, but most react to emotional stimuli, thus are much more easily manipulated.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
“You disappoint God but here’s a hamburger.” Great humaning.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT