ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Cameron on CCC hire

Nov 20, 2020

Opinion on Cig is later in the podcast. Honest take from Cam in my opinion. Coaches in the former big ten east can make a career out of getting 6 wins and going to bowl games.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I always thought Cam would have been a real good coach if he had ever figured out how to coach defense. His offense was fun to watch with ARE, Levron Williams. Heck, ARE may have won a Heisman if they had some semblance of a defense.

I always thought Cam would have been a real good coach if he had ever figured out how to coach defense. His offense was fun to watch with ARE, Levron Williams. Heck, ARE may have won a Heisman if they had some semblance of a defense.
It was frustrating in 2001 to see the team play so well the second half of the season, but miss a bowl because of the 0-5 start. We finally learned how to play defense and won five of six, but had to win all six. The loss was at Penn State after we were tied in the fourth quarter.

It was frustrating in 2001 to see the team play so well the second half of the season, but miss a bowl because of the 0-5 start. We finally learned how to play defense and won five of six, but had to win all six. The loss was at Penn State after we were tied in the fourth quarter.
That is one of the more memorable seasons. The run they went on to close the season was strong. Cameron figured out defense too late, way too late.

Cam should’ve had at least one more year. IU hired a guy with no HC experience and by the time he’s “getting it” they fire him. Classic IU move. I’m no Cam fan, but his dismissal made no sense to me.
I can’t recall, was McNeely AD at the time?

What did cam say? Tried to find it without listening to it all but apparently missed it

I can’t recall, was McNeely AD at the time?
The AD position was occupied at the time by Clarence Doniger, there was a wider and diverse group at IU that orchestrated Coach Mallory’s dumping. Cam had a very appropriate comment on the podcast regarding IU’s treatment of Coach Mallory, without mentioning any names.

The administrative and financial support for football at IU now, not O$U level of course, is light years ahead of what it was in the not too distant past.
What did cam say? Tried to find it without listening to it all but apparently missed it

Cam should’ve had at least one more year. IU hired a guy with no HC experience and by the time he’s “getting it” they fire him. Classic IU move. I’m no Cam fan, but his dismissal made no sense to me.
Cam was upsetting Indiana high school coaches with his arrogance. I had a 6'8" 325lb OG/OT and Cam screwed up his recruiting to the point of my player choosing between BC, TN, or NW. The player found out Cam told a group he didn't want my player and that settled it for my OL to choose one of the other three. Cam didn't come and AT did but didn't get the info needed for IU. My OL player ran 4.9 at that size and was very talented, I was at Brebuef then. The OL man went to BC and started for four years before going to the NFL for four years.

Last edited:
The AD position was occupied at the time by Clarence Doniger, there was a wider and diverse group at IU that orchestrated Coach Mallory’s dumping. Cam had a very appropriate comment on the podcast regarding IU’s treatment of Coach Mallory, without mentioning any names.

The administrative and financial support for football at IU now, not O$U level of course, is light years ahead of what it was in the not too distant past.
I know doniger hired him but did he fire him?

Cam was upsetting Indiana high school coaches with his arrogance. I had a 6'8" 325lb OG/OT and Cam screwed up his recruiting to the point of my player choosing between BC, TN, or NW. The player found out Cam told a group he didn't want my player and that settled it for my OL to choose one of the other three.
Check Cam’s comments starting about the 20 minute mark, regarding Mallory, then himself and it leads into Cignetti. Cam certainly was arrogant before, during, and after his tenure at IU but I thought he came across very well on this podcast.

Cam was upsetting Indiana high school coaches with his arrogance. I had a 6'8" 325lb OG/OT and Cam screwed up his recruiting to the point of my player choosing between BC, TN, or NW. The player found out Cam told a group he didn't want my player and that settled it for my OL to choose one of the other three. Cam didn't come and AT did but didn't get the info needed for IU. My OL player ran 4.9 at that size and was very talented, I was at Brebuef then. The OL man went to BC and started for four years before going to the NFL for four years.
Yes he was an ass to HS coaches and to his assistants, turned down Rex Grossman claiming he was a better evaluator of QBs than Spurrier

Yes he was an ass to HS coaches and to his assistants, turned down Rex Grossman claiming he was a better evaluator of QBs than Spurrier
Seems to me Grossman's dad wanted nothing to do with iu and sent film to Spurrier. But he may have missed out on Cutler. Not sure.

Reactions: red hornet
The story was that Cameron had a good recruiting class coming in when he got canned. That was also the story about Sam Wyche when he left for the NFL after the 1983 season. He was in line to add Lars Tate and Lorenzo White.

Reactions: ESalum86 and DANC
Seems to me Grossman's dad wanted nothing to do with iu and sent film to Spurrier. But he may have missed out on Cutler. Not sure.
Danny's Grandfather was an All American at IU and his sister married Terry Cole but Cam screwed it up because of his ego and arrogance

Reactions: jsenleo and 76-1
Played Phillip Rivers at NC State If I remember right there was a horrible pass interference call that was the difference in the game.

Is that the game at the beginning of ARE's senior season where Can played him at receiver instead of QB, thinking that would be his ticket to the NFL?

The horrible late PI call by an acc Ref was at IU in 2000. Kept their late drive alive after IU defense was already running off field. Rivers started as a true freshman that day.

The 2001 game in Raleigh was the ill fated Tommy Jones start at QB and ARE in the slot. IU got blown out that night.

Cam’s arrogant attitude when dealing with Indiana HS coaches was well known and quite the turnoff, especially when the same season (‘97), Tiller came to PU and went out of his way to make these same coaches feel like they were always welcome. My HS coach, who thought highly of Bill Mallory, spoke in same terms about Tiller. Not so much about Cam.

The killer game in ‘01 was Utah at home, where a missed PAT had IU chasing points late. Win that one, probably go 6-5, go to a bowl and Cam gets another year or 2 to figure out defense.

Played Phillip Rivers at NC State If I remember right there was a horrible pass interference call that was the difference in the game.
We played a pretty tough schedule most seasons he was here. Utah, North Carolina, NC State as you mentioned. No idea why they didn’t load the schedule to ensure ARE made at least 1 bowl game. Cameron had some good teams that just got beat by good competition

Everyone missed out on Cutler. I saw him say on a podcast that Vandy went to see him at school and offered him a scholarship out of the blue. Cutler called his dad and his dad said "Take it."

So he committed to Vandy sight unseen and without even knowing or caring where Vandy was.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT