ADVERTISEMENT

Bucks boycott playoff game!

Excuse me? How is resisting arrest EVER a better option?

Going into the justice system can lead to poor results, but resisting arrest ALWAYS does.
Resisting arrest can be a better option when your life would be over because of the arrest. Hell, you're one who cites all of the priors to "shame" a victim of police violence with a "they deserved it" argument. All I need to do is point to you for reason enough to resist arrest.
Resisting arrest is never a better option.
if something worse doesn't happen in the throes of resisting it will when they get ya - and they eventually will. whether it's new additional charges or increased probation violation sentencing. always better to just deal with it sope
From a police state/authoritarian perspective, I agree. I'm just saying that the police state/authoritarian approach is wrong to begin with.

BTW, I had a family member off the chain in the St. Louis 'burbs about a month ago. For reasons I won't go into here, I called the local police for a welfare check . . . he wasn't a threat to himself or anyone else, and yet they arrested him . . . now what should have been a mental health intervention has become a show of force by law enforcement . . . why?

This is the type of stuff that underlies the call for defunding the police . . . move some police department funds to someone who has the expertise and will to do the right thing rather than the old "impose control". If the only tool a guy has is a hammer, everything looks like a nail . . . and we only give police officers hammers . . . we simply need more tools . . . .

BTW2, I don't doubt the same result would have happened in 99% of the jurisdictions in the US. That's my point . . . the police are asked to do stuff they're not qualified to do . . . with bad results more often than not.
Lol.

I haven't been sure where to dump this, but I'll do it here, since it's related to your discussion on statistics re: racial disparities in police interactions and outcomes. It ultimately comes down to the claim that poor outcomes for black interactions with police are roughly proportional to blacks' share of violent crime commission.

But do we really know if that's true? What we're really measuring isn't the violent crime rate, but the arrest rate. Isn't it possible that those two numbers don't match up? Here's my thinking. First, many police departments put extra resources into policing high-crime areas. We'd expect them to do that, of course. Second, however, for numerous reasons, there is quite a bit of overlap between high-crime areas and minority (especially black) populations. This could create a positive feedback loop, wherein the arrest rate disparity actually surpasses the crime commission disparity. This, in turn, would naturally adversely affect the relationship of the police and those communities, and further the distrust that members of those communities harbor when they find themselves in a police interaction.

In other words, everything you're saying could be true, and it could also be true that the perceived racial disparity is rooted in a real phenomenon. And to make it worse, this real phenomenon could arise even if none of the members of a particular police force are racist, and they are all performing their duties with the utmost professionalism. It would simply be the unfortunate natural consequence of the fact that we live in a country where predictors of criminal activity - poverty, lack of education, etc. - happen to have a statistically significant correlation with race.
I hear everything you’re saying and agree that it’s an unanswered question. Someone somehow should be able to design such an experiment - even if on existing datasets.

I hear everything you’re saying and agree that it’s an unanswered question. Someone somehow should be able to design such an experiment - even if on existing datasets.
That would be interesting, to be sure, but I don't even need all that. My point in bringing this up is simply that there really might be no reason for us all to talk past each other. I.e., the idea that there is a very understandable reason cops interact with blacks more and the idea that black citizens might rightfully be wary of the police need not be mutually contradictory. It's a tragedy, but there it is.

I haven't been sure where to dump this, but I'll do it here, since it's related to your discussion on statistics re: racial disparities in police interactions and outcomes. It ultimately comes down to the claim that poor outcomes for black interactions with police are roughly proportional to blacks' share of violent crime commission.

But do we really know if that's true? What we're really measuring isn't the violent crime rate, but the arrest rate. Isn't it possible that those two numbers don't match up? Here's my thinking. First, many police departments put extra resources into policing high-crime areas. We'd expect them to do that, of course. Second, however, for numerous reasons, there is quite a bit of overlap between high-crime areas and minority (especially black) populations. This could create a positive feedback loop, wherein the arrest rate disparity actually surpasses the crime commission disparity. This, in turn, would naturally adversely affect the relationship of the police and those communities, and further the distrust that members of those communities harbor when they find themselves in a police interaction.

In other words, everything you're saying could be true, and it could also be true that the perceived racial disparity is rooted in a real phenomenon. And to make it worse, this real phenomenon could arise even if none of the members of a particular police force are racist, and they are all performing their duties with the utmost professionalism. It would simply be the unfortunate natural consequence of the fact that we live in a country where predictors of criminal activity - poverty, lack of education, etc. - happen to have a statistically significant correlation with race.
Second response: it is of course rooted in historical awfulness. Certainly. We aren’t far enough removed from Jim Crow-one of the darkest times in our history.

But today the data isn’t clear. And because it isn’t clear, we must, I say again we must, await for evidence of these anecdotal events to come to the surface before we ruin lives and livelihoods.

what’s utterly shocking to me is how far we’ve moved on from Ahmaud Arbery. Of all these events that have culminated in riots and violence, his was the most cut and dry example of evil and vile racism and he’s not even in the conversation. I fail to see how the tragic and unnecessary (and likely criminal) death of Floyd is cut and dry racist. I fail to see how the Blake shooting is racist. Arbery was hunted and murdered by an ex-cop redneck piece of trash and the arrest would’ve never came without the story going national.

That would be interesting, to be sure, but I don't even need all that. My point in bringing this up is simply that there really might be no reason for us all to talk past each other. I.e., the idea that there is a very understandable reason cops interact with blacks more and the idea that black citizens might rightfully be wary of the police need not be mutually contradictory. It's a tragedy, but there it is.
Interesting take. I need to think on that...it’s deep.

But, in these last two cases that have sparked dangerous riots, the cops were called on Floyd and Blake. They weren’t random stops or interdictions. They were committing crimes. Why doesnt anybody factor that in to their pre-protest decisions?

Second response: it is of course rooted in historical awfulness. Certainly. We aren’t far enough removed from Jim Crow-one of the darkest times in our history.

But today the data isn’t clear. And because it isn’t clear, we must, I say again we must, await for evidence of these anecdotal events to come to the surface before we ruin lives and livelihoods.

what’s utterly shocking to me is how far we’ve moved on from Ahmaud Arbery. Of all these events that have culminated in riots and violence, his was the most cut and dry example of evil and vile racism and he’s not even in the conversation. I fail to see how the tragic and unnecessary (and likely criminal) death of Floyd is cut and dry racist. I fail to see how the Blake shooting is racist. Arbery was hunted and murdered by an ex-cop redneck piece of trash and the arrest would’ve never came without the story going national.
Good point. The media shove us from story to story, but sometimes the ones we need to meditate on are forced back beyond recall.

But, in these last two cases that have sparked dangerous riots, the cops were called on Floyd and Blake. They weren’t random stops or interdictions. They were committing crimes. Why doesnt anybody factor that in to their pre-protest decisions?
I'm not sure. I'm not out there protesting. I can say why it doesn't matter to me, personally. My only take on all of these cases has consistently been that, regardless of why the cops are called to a situation, there is a very high standard they must meet before they start killing citizens, and whether or not said citizens are "bad guys" doesn't matter. I happen to know you agree with me on that, already, so I'm not really trying to be persuasive. Just laying my cards on the table.

As for the BLM angle, again, I don't know. Maybe for them, it doesn't matter, either? Maybe the perception they have of cops and their relationship to the black community isn't dependent whatsoever on what kind of a person any particular black victim/suspect/whatever might be. Maybe they feel as though the cops would treat anyone with dark skin, saint or sinner, the same way. Again, I'm not them, so I'm just speculating.

I'm not sure. I'm not out there protesting. I can say why it doesn't matter to me, personally. My only take on all of these cases has consistently been that, regardless of why the cops are called to a situation, there is a very high standard they must meet before they start killing citizens, and whether or not said citizens are "bad guys" doesn't matter. I happen to know you agree with me on that, already, so I'm not really trying to be persuasive. Just laying my cards on the table.

As for the BLM angle, again, I don't know. Maybe for them, it doesn't matter, either? Maybe the perception they have of cops and their relationship to the black community isn't dependent whatsoever on what kind of a person any particular black victim/suspect/whatever might be. Maybe they feel as though the cops would treat anyone with dark skin, saint or sinner, the same way. Again, I'm not them, so I'm just speculating.
With your first paragraph, I 100% agree, as I think I’ve made clear in this thread. With your second paragraph l also agree that is what they think. And I just don’t agree with them, it isn’t proven, and it isn’t worth destroying cities over.

With your first paragraph, I 100% agree, as I think I’ve made clear in this thread. With your second paragraph l also agree that is what they think. And I just don’t agree with them, it isn’t proven, and it isn’t worth destroying cities over.
As I was hinting at above, my point here isn't that they are right or wrong, but merely that their belief is reasonable. We need to engage reasonable belief in good faith. What I see in this debate are people who disagree with each other, but who have good faith arguments on both sides. I think recognizing that would be a good place to start.

Obviously, I hope it goes without saying that none of that justifies the destruction, but just in case it doesn't go without saying, I'm saying it.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Sez you, Mr. former St. Louis cop attorney. Risk analysis from your perch is very different from risk analysis on the ground by those being arrested for a broken tail light or less . . . .

Right on cue...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...llphone-video-shows-traffic-stop-her-n1002756

My guess is that there are actually people in this thread who believe that this arresting officer really isn't racist. Or that he would react similarly to a white lady he pulled over for the "horrible crime" of failing to signal...

I'm really curious as to what planet some of these folks live on? I've got to believe they wouldn't want their child to die in prison following an arrest over failing to use a damn turn signal.

And of course, if it did happen they'd be just as outspoken against the actions of their child and supportive of the cop just "doing his job", right? I mean you believe that don't you Sope- because consistency is their hallmark. Right?

Right on cue...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...llphone-video-shows-traffic-stop-her-n1002756

My guess is that there are actually people in this thread who believe that this arresting officer really isn't racist. Or that he would react similarly to a white lady he pulled over for the "horrible crime" of failing to signal...

I'm really curious as to what planet some of these folks live on? I've got to believe they wouldn't want their child to die in prison following an arrest over failing to use a damn turn signal.

And of course, if it did happen they'd be just as outspoken against the actions of their child and supportive of the cop just "doing his job", right? I mean you believe that don't you Sope- because consistency is their hallmark. Right?
I suspect it is going to get worse as the animosity & actions of BLM & “leaders” like LBJ is creating a more adversarial stance with law enforcement, how anyone thinks that will improve the situation is beyond me...

I think Ahmaud Arbery remains a foundational element to the rest of the stories that we are discussing . . . it's the cumulative effect of Arbery, Breonna Taylor and Rayshard Brooks on top of George Floyd and Sandra Bland that gives us Jacob Blake. The horrific nature of Floyd's death (on camera), the completely unjustified shooting of Arbery (on camera), the shooting of Taylor while she slept (without any camera), the officer making an arrest of Bland for a traffic stop (on camera), plus the shooting of Brooks in the back (on camera) - and all of those officers/former officers have been charged - serve as a cumulative experience of police for the Black community . . . and now with cameras present, for the rest of us as well. That's the backdrop for seeing Jacob Blake shot in the back 7 times while his kids watched from the backseat of his car. The rest of the stuff - warrant for his arrest, whether or not there was a knife in the car and whether it was reachable, Blake's arrest record - just come across like excuses for pulling the trigger . . . .

The effects of the police actions on their face appear entirely out of proportion to any legal issues involved, if there are any legal issues. The question that seems to lurk in the background in each of these circumstances is whether the individuals killed or hurt are justified in not wanting to relinquish control of their person to someone trying to impose authoritarian control. The cumulative effect of these events - as shown on cameras for the most part - tends to favor those challenging the imposition of authority.

That depends, how much did they tear up on the way?

I imagine you're joking. But I did see a cartoon from the time that showed a city "burning" which was captioned "He claims it's a peaceful march"...

However, it's probably instructional to look at some comments from notable politicos from the time. Sounds like some of the things you hear now as well...

"Many prominent Democrats made the argument that African-Americans should be happy with what they had, rather than asking for more.

“The Negroes in this country own more refrigerators, and more automobiles, than they do in any other country,” South Carolina Sen. Strom Thurmond told NBC News in the hours after the event. “They are better fed, they are better clothed, they have better houses here than in any other country in the world.”

“No one is deprived of freedom that I know about,” he added."

"Sen. Russell Long of Louisiana claimed that the push for equality violated the rights of business owners.

“Now what I as a Southerner plan to fight for is the right of a man to choose the neighbors among whom he will live, the right to decide who he’s going to trade with, who he’s going to do business with, who he’s going to associate with,” Long said.

You see a lot of white folks out there in that demonstration,” he added. “If they want to mix with that mob, that’s fine. If somebody wants to be left alone by those people, I think he’s entitled to be left alone too.”

I don't think it's particularly bold to point out that I believe those exact sentiments are still a lot more prevalent in certain quarters today than many of us would like to believe...

The "business owner's rights" mantra was echoed by Rand Paul as recently as his 2010 run for Senate...

"In 2010, then-Senate candidate Rand Paul told the Louisville Courier-Journal and later the Rachel Maddow Show that he had issues with the part of the 1964 the Civil Rights Act that mandated private businesses could not discriminate."

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/back-the-day-what-critics-said-about-king

I
I imagine you're joking. But I did see a cartoon from the time that showed a city "burning" which was captioned "He claims it's a peaceful march"...

However, it's probably instructional to look at some comments from notable politicos from the time. Sounds like some of the things you hear now as well...

"Many prominent Democrats made the argument that African-Americans should be happy with what they had, rather than asking for more.

“The Negroes in this country own more refrigerators, and more automobiles, than they do in any other country,” South Carolina Sen. Strom Thurmond told NBC News in the hours after the event. “They are better fed, they are better clothed, they have better houses here than in any other country in the world.”

“No one is deprived of freedom that I know about,” he added."

"Sen. Russell Long of Louisiana claimed that the push for equality violated the rights of business owners.

“Now what I as a Southerner plan to fight for is the right of a man to choose the neighbors among whom he will live, the right to decide who he’s going to trade with, who he’s going to do business with, who he’s going to associate with,” Long said.

You see a lot of white folks out there in that demonstration,” he added. “If they want to mix with that mob, that’s fine. If somebody wants to be left alone by those people, I think he’s entitled to be left alone too.”

I don't think it's particularly bold to point out that I believe those exact sentiments are still a lot more prevalent in certain quarters today than many of us would like to believe...

The "business owner's rights" mantra was echoed by Rand Paul as recently as his 2010 run for Senate...

"In 2010, then-Senate candidate Rand Paul told the Louisville Courier-Journal and later the Rachel Maddow Show that he had issues with the part of the 1964 the Civil Rights Act that mandated private businesses could not discriminate."

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/back-the-day-what-critics-said-about-king
I wasn’t joking. This should be an example to the rudderless idiots involved in today’s “protests” how a peaceful, organized, well led demonstration can be effective & gain support rather than opposition.

I don't watch a lot of NBA games. But I know that people who do think your point about the NBA not playing defense is nonsense...
There was a time when George Carlin could say "Why don't they just give both teams 100 points and have them play for five minutes?" and everybody got the joke. The game has changed.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
What bothered you most?

This: https://www.foxnews.com/media/jason-whitlock-nfl-black-national-anthem

Or this:https://www.foxnews.com/media/jason-whitlock-george-floyd-death-race-hoax

Those black guys who don't stick to the Democratic Party talking points must really upset you...

Whitlock is in real trouble... I heard Biden has declared him officially no longer black... (DWS)...
Mainly his constant harping on LeBron James and questioning his, Kaepernick and others’ motives all the time.

Mainly his constant harping on LeBron James and questioning his, Kaepernick and others’ motives all the time.
Are they beyond reproach? He makes many excellent points & is certainly more qualified than you to pass judgement on them or question their actions. Perhaps you‘d prefer to engage in willful ignorance rather than hear an opposing view...sounds about right.

Reactions: 76-1
NFL helmets this season, pick your victim:

helmet-names.jpeg

Reactions: cosmickid
• Nike has made a T-shirt that players can wear in pre-game warmups. It’s optional. It’s the brainchild of Houston safety and NFL Players Association executive committee member Michael Thomas, and designed by Vogue Wilborn of the NFLPA.

• End zones will have “It Takes All Of Us” on one end line, “End Racism” on the other

• Coaches and game officials will be able to wear patches on their cap with the name of a Black victim, or with one of four messages: “It takes all of us,” “Black lives matter,” “End racism,” “Stop hate.”

• Each week the NFL will select one victim’s name and tell the story of that person in and around the games

• As for the helmets, players can choose either a Black name or one of the four preferred phrases offered: “Stop hate,” “It takes all of us,” “End racism,” “Black lives matter.”

• Far and away, expect to see “BREONNA TAYLOR” as the most common victim’s name on the back of helmets.

Reactions: cosmickid
Nondiverse multimillionaires, working for even less diverse billionaires, finger-pointing at middle-class Americans on the evils of privilege, in the pay of the Chinese Communist Party, is not a way to win back fans.

Good luck NBA.

Nondiverse multimillionaires, working for even less diverse billionaires, finger-pointing at middle-class Americans on the evils of privilege, in the pay of the Chinese Communist Party, is not a way to win back fans.

Good luck NBA.

That’s a lot of vitriol for one post. How many NBA players bootstrapped their way into becoming millionaires by hard work and dedication? Or does their rise up the ladder not count for some reason?

Ask and ye shall receive...

Sounds like an upstanding young man

Ask and ye shall receive...

Sounds like an upstanding young man
This is a really bad look for you. And it's all too common.

Ranger pointed out that Arbery's death was a clear-cut case of racial bias. It was. The video makes that clear. It's possible for someone to be killed for reasons of racial bias, and also for that victim to not be a very good law-abiding citizen himself. If Arbery was a bad sort of fellow, that doesn't change the fact that his killers were clearly motivated by racial animus. And to throw this sort of thing into the conversation screams "N***** deserved it."

Now, I'm not saying that's your subtext. But it's clearly the subtext of many people who follow this avenue of deflection. Ranger claims racism, you counter with "He's a bad guy." Well, as an answer to a claim of racism, "He's a bad guy" only works if you intend it to justify the racism. That's not an argument I think you want to be seen making.

This is a really bad look for you. And it's all too common.

Ranger pointed out that Arbery's death was a clear-cut case of racial bias. It was. The video makes that clear. It's possible for someone to be killed for reasons of racial bias, and also for that victim to not be a very good law-abiding citizen himself. If Arbery was a bad sort of fellow, that doesn't change the fact that his killers were clearly motivated by racial animus. And to throw this sort of thing into the conversation screams "N***** deserved it."

Now, I'm not saying that's your subtext. But it's clearly the subtext of many people who follow this avenue of deflection. Ranger claims racism, you counter with "He's a bad guy." Well, as an answer to a claim of racism, "He's a bad guy" only works if you intend it to justify the racism. That's not an argument I think you want to be seen making.
I think it only becomes interesting if these defendants can prove they know of Arbery’s antics and that’s why they were following him (and obviously those antics needs to be proven too).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT