ADVERTISEMENT

Buckner vs Dolson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know where you are going with this. The PR battle has begun. A KathC is posting on Btown. That’s classic grooming and steering the narrative. She/he is a new poster. Two camps are emerging on the direction of the program and one is going to win eventually. Dokson can stop this with a vote of confidence.
You have no real idea that is going on. Just a lot of crap being thrown out and people on all sides want different results. I will wait until the season is over and decisions are made by administrations, coaches and players.

Who knows? But I’ll give you 100% credit for using “tug of war” to describe it. I’m always curious how these kinds of sayings came about. Anyone know the origin of it?
The game is played to shows one groups physical superiority over another. similar how rock paper scissors were used to show intellectual dominance. very popular in state park family reunions in the 90s, still have rope burns from back in the day.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Logistically...and thinking critically on this... I'm starting to doubt that Pearl's camp would leak much of anything about him taking a new job, unless he's angling to negotiate a bigger deal.

He has a team, right now, that could make a Final Four run. He already has what he'd seemingly be looking for, at IU...he's already making 5 million plus per year...and I'm sure he could push that number higher with some leverage and negotiations.

I don't doubt that Dolson has some interest in him...I just worry maybe he's trolling us like the Harper kid did, to get some contract negotiations going.
Money isn't everything. In my view, basketball at Auburn is the season between fall football and spring football. Much like Michigan, OSU and even Tennessee, basketball is second fiddle and he has never coached at a basketball first school. If he won at IU, he knows he would become a legend. That has to be more appealing than a few extra dollars in his already stocked bank account.

I know where you are going with this. The PR battle has begun. A KathC is posting on Btown. That’s classic grooming and steering the narrative. She/he is a new poster. Two camps are emerging on the direction of the program and one is going to win eventually. Dokson can stop this with a vote of confidence.
I am not trying to do anything right now. I am just trying to figure out if this all is really happening. I hope it is and Scott wins. He’s put his life into IU. If he loses this a lifetime of work is down the drain.

I wonder who Scott really trusts. I’ve never once seen him give a hint of anything that he’s thinking.

If you ask me, nobody really "inside" this situation is going to create an account and start posting on an internet fan forum. People on boards like the IU BOT are not middle schoolers, they are generally highly professional adults and know when to keep their mouths shut, and don't really care about social media chatter. Nothing will leak until it's intended to leak.

Far more likely "Kathy" is some random troll getting his jollies.
Professionals use the media to sway opinion. Whether that’s happening now I have no idea.

Money isn't everything. In my view, basketball at Auburn is the season between fall football and spring football. Much like Michigan, OSU and even Tennessee, basketball is second fiddle and he has never coached at a basketball first school. If he won at IU, he knows he would become a legend. That has to be more appealing than a few extra dollars in his already stocked bank account.
TW,
on the other hand, he has already taken USI, Tenn and Auburn to rarefied air. Would he want to disrupt his apple cart at 63 years of age with a risky, lengthy rebuild at IU? Especially given his son might be the heir apparent at Auburn?

Reactions: Shuski
TW,
on the other hand, he has already taken USI, Tenn and Auburn to rarefied air. Would he want to disrupt his apple cart at 63 years of age with a risky, lengthy rebuild at IU? Especially given his son might be the heir apparent at Auburn?

Disclaimer: I don't believe the narratives being pushed in this thread. I think it's wishful thinking and people seeing what they want to see. But hypothetically, I don't think it'd be a "lengthy rebuild" today. I would imagine a guy like Pearl could attract some players to IU and win pretty quickly.

Fred Glass once said something like "those who know don't talk." Those who talk don't know." Yes I imagine "Kathy'" is nothing more than a troll getting plenty of laughs over the reaction he/she is getting.
reminds me of another old saying...

"I like to let those who like to talk, talk.......that way I can find out just how full of sh!t they are"

Disclaimer: I don't believe the narratives being pushed in this thread. I think it's wishful thinking and people seeing what they want to see. But hypothetically, I don't think it'd be a "lengthy rebuild" today. I would imagine a guy like Pearl could attract some players to IU and win pretty quickly.
There is literally no reason in the world that a "lengthy rebuild" should exist in today's NCAA. That is plain and simple BS and an excuse for a mediocre coach. I'm not fully on the Pearl Bandwagon, but year 1 we'd see a team fighting like hell and year 2 would be a championship contender.

Lloyd - Arizona
Pope - BYU
Cronin - UCLA
They do play basketball west of the Mississippi
I’ll check out Pope tonight at Iowa State. The flavor of the day seems to be Dusty May, which seems way more likely to be an IU hire.

There is literally no reason in the world that a "lengthy rebuild" should exist in today's NCAA. That is plain and simple BS and an excuse for a mediocre coach. I'm not fully on the Pearl Bandwagon, but year 1 we'd see a team fighting like hell and year 2 would be a championship contender.
Why are you so sure, Pearl has been to one final four in his career, and been past the Sweet 16 one other time. You think he'd win it all in two years at IU?

Why are you so sure, Pearl has been to one final four in his career, and been past the Sweet 16 one other time. You think he'd win it all in two years at IU?
Didn’t say anything like that. There are championships to be won of a more modest level. Just ask our little bros to the north. And the mere fact Pearl hasn’t won an NCAA championship is a moot point. He hasn’t coached at IU yet.

Here are the things I'd like about a Pearl hire.

1. He's unequivocally a better college basketball coach than Woodson.
2. I love watching his teams play, from a style and effort stand point. I always have back to Tennessee days.

I don't think Pearl is the "best" hire. I don't even know if he'd be in my top 4-5 choices. But I do feel strongly enough about those two points above, that if Dolson were to be able to go through with it, I know I'd be more excited about the prospects of IU basketball being good again than I have for a long, long time.

Ah, but what if, in addition, IU beats Minnesota tonight AT MINNESOTA?

The case will become stronger that a fourth year is, indeed, warranted.

I don't think the outcome of some random games should (or would) be a tipping point regarding Woodson, but I do tend to think that a strong finish allows them to use the "X" excuse more effectively. If in the end they would prefer to keep Woodson and not have to make a change this year then winning these end games provides cover for the decision.

On the other hand if Dolson is already of the mind that he'd want a change, these games won't matter.

I don't think the outcome of some random games should (or would) be a tipping point regarding Woodson, but I do tend to think that a strong finish allows them to use the "X" excuse more effectively. If in the end they would prefer to keep Woodson and not have to make a change this year then winning these end games provides cover for the decision.

On the other hand if Dolson is already of the mind that he'd want a change, these games won't matter.
Of course, we’ll never know with certainty how it goes down. But if IU can get on a win mini-streak to end the season (we’re just a win away from that talking point becoming a reality), I think the counter-pressure to keep MW becomes fierce.

I’m 49% hoping it happens just so I can witness the spectacle.

Here are the things I'd like about a Pearl hire.

1. He's unequivocally a better college basketball coach than Woodson.
2. I love watching his teams play, from a style and effort stand point. I always have back to Tennessee days.

I don't think Pearl is the "best" hire. I don't even know if he'd be in my top 4-5 choices. But I do feel strongly enough about those two points above, that if Dolson were to be able to go through with it, I know I'd be more excited about the prospects of IU basketball being good again than I have for a long, long time.
Those two are where I am. And I’ll add a third. With the portal, the ability to connect and sell yourself and your program to young men takes on even more importance than it did pre-portal. From what I see, Pearl is quite good at that.
He wouldn’t be my top choice, but I’d be excited if he was hired.

If you ask me, nobody really "inside" this situation is going to create an account and start posting on an internet fan forum. People on boards like the IU BOT are not middle schoolers, they are generally highly professional adults and know when to keep their mouths shut, and don't really care about social media chatter. Nothing will leak until it's intended to leak.

Far more likely "Kathy" is some random troll getting his jollies.
People on boards are generally butt kissers too lazy to work.

• Love
Reactions: Radio Zero
Only Holcomb could do it I believe. Send him an email.
Buckner is on the board until his term expires. He may be reappointed by the governor, or not, at that time.

Only if he has committed some kind of gross malfeasance would he be removed before that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT