ADVERTISEMENT

Bucket Game thought

Dont look now but purdue is beating Iowa 21-9 This bucket game could be one of the best games in years if purdue wins today

Reactions: RBB89
Purdue looks to run away with this game at Iowa City today.

That sets up a battle of two teams at 5-6 for a bowl bid and the Bucket. That will be interesting and Purdue will have a lot of momentum going into that game.

Reactions: RBB89
After googling it I recalled that Glass did say that NIT game was deemed to be beneath the iconic Assembly Hall. Ironic that they brought in teams like Houston Baptist into the same hallowed structure.

But he did essentially acknowledge that the Hoosiers had already quit for the year.

“That was one of those decisions that was going to be kind of tough either way it went,” Glass told Grady and Big Joe. “That was my decision. I own that decision, even though men’s basketball wanted it to be on the road, that was their preference and stated desire to me that they wanted to play that game on the road. But that was my decision, so I’m not hiding behind that.”

After googling it I recalled that Glass did say that NIT game was deemed to be beneath the iconic Assembly Hall. Ironic that they brought in teams like Houston Baptist into the same hallowed structure.
They didn't want to subject the players and the TV audience to the kind of reception the crowd (all 6000 of them) would have given Crean and the team.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Fred Glass is arrogant, that decision smacks of superiority and arrogance. These are some of the reasons I don't follow IU in basketball. That's a turnoff.

They didn't want to subject the players and the TV audience to the kind of reception the crowd (all 6000 of them) would have given Crean and the team.

The decision to fire Crean had been made despite some continued pushback from the BOT. I think the decline helped shine a light on just how bad things were.

Change the date of the game, but NEVER take the game off of campus. Neutral site venues are horrible. Even at bowl games, the actual game atmosphere stinks. People don't come to the bucket game because they don't come to any other games. This is just an excuse to accommodate folks that won't come regardless. Don't screw it up for the people that care.

Fred Glass is arrogant, that decision smacks of superiority and arrogance. These are some of the reasons I don't follow IU in basketball. That's a turnoff.
Fred Glass is a big reason why we have a rising football program and a big boy stadium now. That NIT thing was also him covering for Crean. He took the heat for his coach.

Change the date of the game, but NEVER take the game off of campus. Neutral site venues are horrible. Even at bowl games, the actual game atmosphere stinks. People don't come to the bucket game because they don't come to any other games. This is just an excuse to accommodate folks that won't come regardless. Don't screw it up for the people that care.
Yeah I hadn’t thought about the impact on the towns. I’m good with the first weekend of the year on campus.

The long term reality is if students don't attend it while in college it won't mean anything extra to them in 10 or 20 years. It will become "just another game.". I'd hate to see that happen.

This is almost exactly what has happened in my case. As a student, I was always at home for Tgiving so I never attended the Bucket game during those years. After my student years, even though I have attended other games and I definitely don't believe that it is just another game, I still have never attended the Bucket. This year is a prime example, because of other peoples travel arrangements, I have Tgiving on Saturday.

Keep the game on Campus but move the date.

This is not meant negatively, but does anyone outside of the immediate fan base ever care about this game?

We aren’t talking about top10 team matchup here.
I agree. I didn’t grow up in Indiana, so this game means very little to me as a Purdue alum. I suppose if you’re from Indiana it has more meaning, but you are correct...outside of the immediate fan base this game has very little meaning. With a bowl game on the line, albeit a minor, irrelevant one, it should add a little bit of excitement. Good luck. Peace. Jw.

I'm not sure what you are addressing here. My earlier post pointed out that LOS is unavailable to host the Bucket game on Thanksgiving weekend due to the HS State championships unless the folks at LOS and the Colts want to throw the IHSAA out. I don't see them doing that. The Bucket Game can be whenever the conference, IU, PU can work it out, but it isn't going to be in Indy on the Saturday (or Friday) after Thanksgiving.
What I am addressing is the fact that the Bucket Game is not scheduled by people from either IU or PU and is, in fact, scheduled by people who don't know the IHSAA's routine or schedule. Since these people do not live in Indiana and do not recruit players from Indiana high schools, these schedulers might be arrogant enough to "assume" The Bucket Game takes precedence over any high school game. I am also pointing out that those are just a few of the potential problems with moving The Bucket Game to LOS.

Fred Glass is a big reason why we have a rising football program and a big boy stadium now. That NIT thing was also him covering for Crean. He took the heat for his coach.
The "philosophical differences" smokescreen was another example of Glass shielding a coach rather than hanging him out to dry.

Maybe this has been brought up before, but what if we reverse things and open the season playing for the Bucket? I hate the fact it is now played without students on campus, and also the same week as the IHSAA championship games.

I just believe the state's premier rivalry game should be played in front of students and it should also be a focus game for the state. Why go against OSU-UM, ND-USC (every other year), Bama-Auburn, etc., as another rivalry game. Even Army-Navy moved their game so they don't compete against conference championship games (which still ticks me off!).

Thoughts?

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but I don't think so.........

I think the Big 10 has a whole ought to move their "rivalry week" up one week on the schedule.

Doesn't EVERY big 10 school take the Thanksgiving WE off? If so, why play all your best rivalry games on THAT WE? Really makes no sense. Also, we're playing 1-2 weeks later than we used to, so we get crappier weather.

As a added benefit, the Big 10 teams would get tons of attention. This WE was a shit sandwich of college games. The SEC powerhouses were playing Mercer & La.-Monroe. Basically the only rivalry of note was USC-UCLA. Imagine the notice the Big 10 would have gotten if OS-UM, Wisky-MN, IU-PU, NW-ILL,et al had all played this WE. If you did this, you could still play secondary rivalries like Iowa-Nebraska, PSU-MSU, Michigan-MSU, Illinois-Purdue and Minnesota-Iowa the final week. That would mean two very solid WEs back-to-back.

Reactions: IUfbfan67
PU fans could grab 10-15K seats in Btown if they wanted to but they only bring 5K most years. IU travels better to WL but yes there are plenty of seats IU fans could buy..
I guess your perspective on this only dates back a few years. I've been to games in Bloomington where Purdue seemed to outnumber IU, and many games in West Lafayette where there were almost no IU fans. I'm talking the Tiller years and then all the years before 1985.

I guess your perspective on this only dates back a few years. I've been to games in Bloomington where Purdue seemed to outnumber IU, and many games in West Lafayette where there were almost no IU fans. I'm talking the Tiller years and then all the years before 1985.
I've been going to bucket games since the late 1960's, mostly in B'town, a few in W. Laffy. NEVER have the number of boiler fans come close to outnumbering Hoosiers at IU, even during PUkes best years and IU's worst. Pure fantasy.

Reactions: 76-1

Yeah, I have only been a season ticket holder since 1986 so I can't speak to years before that.

Never seen anything as you describe, but there certainly are fluctuations based on the quality of each team and the relevance of the game. I think you may want to rethink your comments.

I've been going to bucket games since the late 1960's, mostly in B'town, a few in W. Laffy. NEVER have the number of boiler fans come close to outnumbering Hoosiers at IU, even during PUkes best years and IU's worst. Pure fantasy.
How about after halftime?

If I had to bet I would bet not many on either side will leave at halftime, but If you have more fans after halftime you won’t need the points.

There is no doubt that the ratio of fans changes is the second half of games that are decided. It has zero to do with how well each program has historically traveled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT