ADVERTISEMENT

Bryant Impact...

smooth as butter

Redshirt
Jul 23, 2002
I feel this guy will make a huge impact for the hoosiers next season. The perimeter play is solid,With Bryant and Troy up front IU will be a tough team to handle.

Problem is who do we have if he is not effective or is in foul trouble?
Holt, OG, and Morgan. I think Holt could be very good for us. He just makes plays and I expect his defense to improve even more this year. I was surprised by his ability last year. Better than I thought he would be, and he seems to have a high BB IQ. We shall see, but it isn't so dire as you make it out to be.

Reactions: Lt. John Mclaine
Same lineup as last season, replacing HMP with Bryant should be a huge upgrade. Last season when HMP got his early fouls, cannot recall how the team weathered the storm. I do recall the butt-whippins from PUkes, all due to inside play and our absence of D in the paint. Maybe with Bryant and Holt we can actually have defenders down low. HMP, for all his athleticism, had poor BB IQ. Bad timing, bad anticipation, bad ______. He had some flashes for sure, and more on the O end that I expected, but overall he disappointed. Excited for next season. But, today it's post-season NCAA tourney BASEBALL!!!

look no further than the Golden State Warriors - small ball can work if schemed correctly. no excuse why IU cannot thrive - especially in college. Villanova does it about every year.

Reactions: Tony20
Holt, OG, and Morgan. I think Holt could be very good for us. He just makes plays and I expect his defense to improve even more this year. I was surprised by his ability last year. Better than I thought he would be, and he seems to have a high BB IQ. We shall see, but it isn't so dire as you make it out to be.

These guys cant guard opposing bigs. They are 6'7 trying to guard 7ft in some cases.

Same lineup as last season, replacing HMP with Bryant should be a huge upgrade. Last season when HMP got his early fouls, cannot recall how the team weathered the storm. I do recall the butt-whippins from PUkes, all due to inside play and our absence of D in the paint. Maybe with Bryant and Holt we can actually have defenders down low. HMP, for all his athleticism, had poor BB IQ. Bad timing, bad anticipation, bad ______. He had some flashes for sure, and more on the O end that I expected, but overall he disappointed. Excited for next season. But, today it's post-season NCAA tourney BASEBALL!!!
go back and watch the Butler Game from last year and tell me that HMP will not be missed from this team. Bryant might be better than him, but his is an unknown at this point. I would feel a lot better about our front court if Hanner was backing up Bryant.

Problem is who do we have if he is not effective or is in foul trouble?
Most of us would expect to see Holt and Morgan backup Bryant. CTC will likely revert back to Hartman and I will throw things at the TV.

Hartman playing the 5 was effective in the first and maybe the second time it was used. After that, I can't remember Hartman having a good game from that position. Robinson guarding the post wasn't any more effective.

Most of us would expect to see Holt and Morgan backup Bryant. CTC will likely revert back to Hartman and I will throw things at the TV.

Hartman playing the 5 was effective in the first and maybe the second time it was used. After that, I can't remember Hartman having a good game from that position. Robinson guarding the post wasn't any more effective.
he played pretty well until he got hurt. wasn't the same after the injury. I can't even remember what the injury was but it affected him.

Reactions: Lt. John Mclaine
Well CTC is not Jay Wright :(

Agreed. But the scheme can be done rather easily and with the guys on IU's current roster. any good coach would have IU in the top 5 this year. brutal reality is that this team is poorly fundamentally coached. they simply do not pass the eye test and it amazes me how the crean apologists fail to see this. Crean has now coached for over 15 years - he is who he is and is not going to substantially improve.

Reactions: hgdownunder
I'm setting my expectations to "medium impact", but maybe that's all we need with the guard play and scoring we will have. Vonleh was even regarded higher coming out of high school, and look at the impact he had....it's hard to expect alot from a freshman, especially in the BiG. I see Bryant as a 10 pts. 7 rb 2 blocks, kinda player. Again, that may be all we need to be very good though.

Vonleh treated Iu as a dress rehersal for the NBA. He was almost a negative. and feigning injury late the season was complete BS. but I blame Crean for bringing in such type of players. Bryant seems more humble & hard working. I expect his impact to be much more positive

Vonleh treated Iu as a dress rehersal for the NBA. He was almost a negative. and feigning injury late the season was complete BS. but I blame Crean for bringing in such type of players. Bryant seems more humble & hard working. I expect his impact to be much more positive
Guessing you are not one in favor of Thon Maker coming then.

His impact will depend on how he is used or misused by the coach. I will wait and see before proclaiming he will have a big impact.

I'm setting my expectations to "medium impact", but maybe that's all we need with the guard play and scoring we will have. Vonleh was even regarded higher coming out of high school, and look at the impact he had....it's hard to expect alot from a freshman, especially in the BiG. I see Bryant as a 10 pts. 7 rb 2 blocks, kinda player. Again, that may be all we need to be very good though.

I would take 10, 7 and 2 as average production!

Reactions: CO_IUFan

Crean didn't use Vonleh very well but he still put up great numbers for a freshman who got very few touches. Vonleh wasn't the issue....

Crean didn't use Vonleh very well but he still put up great numbers for a freshman who got very few touches. Vonleh wasn't the issue....

The Eagle Tribune article said it all. Noah Vonleh: "I felt a little held back, there was more I could do." It went on to state he wanted to play the 4 not the 5 and was forced as such. 6-10, 7-4 wingspan and wants to play outside. His skill set was that of a wing and he was forced to play with his back to the basket. He will be good in the NBA and play 10 plus years IMO. One underdeveloped freshman big doesn't translate to an inside game. Chuck needs 1-2 more bigs who do want to play inside. Let's hope he gets 'em.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsmitty08
he played pretty well until he got hurt. wasn't the same after the injury. I can't even remember what the injury was but it affected him.
Hartman's outside shot wasn't there after his injury (knee contusion, or bruise if I remember correctly). Going small in the middle worked against Maryland. Maryland wasn't big inside and kept missing 3's instead of trying to go inside. Teams with a good inside player knew we could not stop them. We were trying to trade baskets and hope to trade a 3 for a 2 point basket. That strategy won't win long term.

We have gone down the drain in the last 12 games of the past 2 seasons. Relying on young outside shooters instead of an inside game has hurt us. We need to score more from the paint. CTC doesn't recruit to bang down low and have a physical advantage.inside. We need a true post and power forward with depth. Won't ever have that with CTC. I will be watching what this team does in the final 10 games of the season. A 3-7 mark wouldn't surprise me regardless of how we begin the season.

The Eagle Tribune article said it all. Noah Vonleh: "I felt a little held back, there was more I could do." It went on to state he wanted to play the 4 not the 5 and was forced as such. 6-10, 7-4 wingspan and wants to play outside. His skill set was that of a wing and he was forced to play with his back to the basket. He will be good in the NBA and play 10 plus years IMO. One underdeveloped freshman big doesn't translate to an inside game. Chuck needs 1-2 more bigs who do want to play inside. Let's hope he gets 'em.
"Good" team players play where they can help the team the most. "Good" players can play multiple positions and at 6-10, 7-4 if you can't play with your back to the basket then somebody did him wrong during his development. I keep hearing that we didn't get him the ball enough, well if you don't work hard seal off your man and "demand" the ball, your not going to get the ball. Players aren't going to feed him inside if they are not comfortable with position, because if it gets turned over, they get the blame.

Reactions: thoops7 and ORG
"Good" team players play where they can help the team the most. "Good" players can play multiple positions and at 6-10, 7-4 if you can't play with your back to the basket then somebody did him wrong during his development. I keep hearing that we didn't get him the ball enough, well if you don't work hard seal off your man and "demand" the ball, your not going to get the ball. Players aren't going to feed him inside if they are not comfortable with position, because if it gets turned over, they get the blame.

But if we recruited another big that could have played more minutes to let Vonleh play the 4 he would have been a better offensive player for us. Its the constant lack of a front court that hurts this program. Never have any depth.

I feel this guy will make a huge impact for the hoosiers next season. The perimeter play is solid,With Bryant and Troy up front IU will be a tough team to handle.
I don't know what he'll contribute to your team, but his achilles heel will be foul trouble. He will be an undersized 5 who's never had to defend other legitimate bigs. Add on the fact that he's a freshman means he'll probably get in early foul trouble often.

hahaha. yup, at IU we blame the fans and the players before we blame the coach. vonleh was ready for the ball. crean blamed vonleh for not demanding it more. position had nothing to do with it. lol.

But if we recruited another big that could have played more minutes to let Vonleh play the 4 he would have been a better offensive player for us. Its the constant lack of a front court that hurts this program. Never have any depth.
Okay, i see what your saying, and I agree. We did loose a couple bigs in that group. So when Crean recruited him, he probably thought he would play him more in 4 position. Things changed so coach had to make a change to move him inside. That's the problem when you recruit these one and dones. They are only interested in playing the position that they visualize they will play in the pros. They need to change this one year crap and let the kids go pro when they think they are ready. MLB has the right system for this problem.

Okay, i see what your saying, and I agree. We did loose a couple bigs in that group. So when Crean recruited him, he probably thought he would play him more in 4 position. Things changed so coach had to make a change to move him inside. That's the problem when you recruit these one and dones. They are only interested in playing the position that they visualize they will play in the pros. They need to change this one year crap and let the kids go pro when they think they are ready. MLB has the right system for this problem.
But we would have been better with Vileh at the 4 because he can shoot and that team lacked shooting. So the next year we added all shooting and zero size.

hahaha. yup, at IU we blame the fans and the players before we blame the coach. vonleh was ready for the ball. crean blamed vonleh for not demanding it more. position had nothing to do with it. lol.
Getting position has everything to do with it. I would explain the game to you but don't have the time. So you think our guards and coach didn't want to get the ball inside......ha, ha, now that is funny.

Getting position has everything to do with it. I would explain the game to you but don't have the time. So you think our guards and coach didn't want to get the ball inside......ha, ha, now that is funny.
I get what your saying but very seldom does our offense run through the post. Ot even when we had Zeller. Most of Zeller points were off transition or him penetrating.

But we would have been better with Vileh at the 4 because he can shoot and that team lacked shooting. So the next year we added all shooting and zero size.
I agree, but we didn't have a player besides him that had the size. It sure screw up recruiting when you have unexpected roster changes. Man, just think if we had him this year....

I get what your saying but very seldom does our offense run through the post. Ot even when we had Zeller. Most of Zeller points were off transition or him penetrating.
That is true, we use the post position more as a decoy, but it doesn't work if you don't go inside sometimes.

Position has everything to do with it. Coaches use the term "show yourself", the guards have to have confidence that it's not a turnover, that they will get blamed for. Your right we use the post a decoy, but we didn't use it enough to be effective.

I agree, he will make a huge impact, but Troy does not need to be playing "up front". He is not a 4. I think our best opportunity for success is when he's playing the 3, with Bryant at the 5 and hartman/holt/morgan splitting time at the 4.
Your right, Williams is a natural 3, but he could play some 4 in emergency situations, and I think the holt,hartman,morgan trio will not only split time at the 4 but also relieve at the 5 as well. We have some options this year, it will be fun to watch.

His possession usage wasn't low, only his minutes. So while in the game, he demanded it enough to get comparable possessions to other players his caliber, he just didn't get the minutes.

Your right, Williams is a natural 3, but he could play some 4 in emergency situations, and I think the holt,hartman,morgan trio will not only split time at the 4 but also relieve at the 5 as well. We have some options this year, it will be fun to watch.
If putting a 6'6 player as a back up at five is an "option" than every team has the same option.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT