ADVERTISEMENT

Bryant Coming Back..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we not just enjoy the great news that Thomas is returning for another season without all the back and forth bickering? It is tiresome. Go IU Hoosiers!

Reactions: travlinhoosier
It is just like when you are raising kids and they say everyone is doing drugs so why can't I. I tell them just because all the other kids are going about their lives wrong does not mean you have to act like them. It is just like when looking at our program compared to other programs. Just because other fan bases are lunatics does not mean our fans have to be the same way.
MSU has a dynamite class coming in and Izzo teams always get picked. IU will not be the favorite.
Sure he does have a great class but they are all young. He will have them playing well as always at the end of the year and Wisconsin will be good also. IU will be the favorite!

Reactions: russelltodd
Again, Crean has been to a final four. So we know the coach has the ability to get there. Since then he's been rebuilding a program that was brought to its knees through sanctions and early exits. Not one soul worth a darn wanted to come to IU until Zeller started changing minds. Once that happened the flood gates began to pour in and a foundatoin is now set. I expect the team to do well all season long. Will I judge the coach only on the tournament, no. I'm able to to think a lot smarter than that and look at the entire season as a package. Winning a conference is a big deal. Going to 3 sweet 16's does not make the coach elite but it also doesn't mean he is unable to go further considering he has already done that. What 3 sweet 16's does allow is for a longer look see at what we have to determine if the growth continues to rise. If it falls back down then we have a better idea on the value of our coach. Right now, I don't look at coach and say he has failed us. He has laid a good foundation and is getting us opportunities to compete for a national title, as is expected. If we were finishing 3-4th in the big and losing in the sweet 16 I would be more apt to say yeah, we are not where we should be. Winning the big ten and making the sweet 16 says we had a bad night. I am ok with a bad night periodically. They happen.

Spare me the "rebuilding" whine-fest. He's been here 8 freaking years.

Oregon only brought back 3 players and look what they did this year with less talent.

It is just like when you are raising kids and they say everyone is doing drugs so why can't I. I tell them just because all the other kids are going about their lives wrong does not mean you have to act like them. It is just like when looking at our program compared to other programs. Just because other fan bases are lunatics does not mean our fans have to be the same way.

Did you just compare college basketball blue blood expectations to your kids doing drugs? Ah...ok....

What about about Purdue? Drugs or not? Notre Dame? Ohio State? UCLA? Michigan? Butler?

Just like people claiming not to be happy with sweet 16s, people wanting to raise expectations are not expecting Duke, UK, or UNC....

My dream front line of Davis, Bryant, and OG is intact for next year. Take our pick of any guard combination and we should have another fun season. One more big on the bench will give us a team that can compete deep in the tournament.

Morgan isn't chopped liver.....

Whatever, you need to find some new material. We have never been like them when it comes to our tournament history so why do you think now we can just snap our fingers and become to Duke or UK.

MSU is on that level. With our resources, we should be too.

Ask any great team in any sport if "Just winning their conference" is good enough.

The Patriots, Lakers, Celtics....you name it.

It's all about Titles.

Period.

You think LeBron would be happy if he took Cleveland to the title game 5 years in a row and never won it?

No.
I did not say I am happy that we have not won championships and want nothing more than a championship. I just don't base my opinion on the season on how far we go. what I don't understand when people say a deep run is a elite 8 but that is just winning one more game than losing in the sweet 16. Just take this year we win the conference with an overall record of 25-6 and lose I the sweet 16. say we went to the elite 8 but finished 4th in the conference with a record of 22-9. to me I take the first because I would rather win the conference and go to the sweet 16 rather than finishing 4th and going to the elite 8.

Spare me the "rebuilding" whine-fest. He's been here 8 freaking years.

Oregon only brought back 3 players and look what they did this year with less talent.

Anyone can pick out one team out of 300+ and say "look what they did this season with less". The problem is there are 300+ of those teams. I can look at the B1G and say Indiana wasn't predicted to win the B1G lost 3 post players and one of their top two leading scorers yet won the B1G. IU did more with less. So it's all in the perspective you wish to make it out to be. People thinking clearly understand that but you guys are all h3ll bent on trying to fire Crean.....and losing.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
It's easy to deal with people claiming they have raised expectations....excuses....

If IU fails to get past the Sweet 16 next year (Not losing any key player during the season), has Crean failed?

Did Izzo fail this year? Or did his players not perform up to expectations in one game? You guys can't wait to put all the blame on a coach, but players play. Players make shots. Players miss shots. Etc, etc. The NCAA tournament isn't a 7 game series where the best team always wins in a series. One game, anything can happen. It shocks me that my fellow Hoosiers, who are supposed to be some of the most knowledgeable fans in college hoops, can't let their biases get out of the way to understand this.

Did you just compare college basketball blue blood expectations to your kids doing drugs? Ah...ok....

What about about Purdue? Drugs or not? Notre Dame? Ohio State? UCLA? Michigan? Butler?

Just like people claiming not to be happy with sweet 16s, people wanting to raise expectations are not expecting Duke, UK, or UNC....
I am just saying because other programs acts like total lunatics about sports does not mean we have to do it. Just one team a year are happy at the end of the year after winning the championship so I look at the whole season when I look at whether the season was a success.

I am just saying because other programs acts like total lunatics about sports does not mean we have to do it. Just one team a year are happy at the end of the year after winning the championship so I look at the whole season when I look at whether the season was a success.
I would agree with you if we were paying 1.5 million a year or something like that. However, we are paying CTC an awful lot of money so I think the expectations should also be pretty darn high.

How did Michigan State's deep run go this year?

The NCAA tournament doesn't guarantee anything. You can have the best team in the country, but anything call happen on a given day. Bob Knight's teams underperformed to their seeding 12 times in his 29 years at IU. Think about that for a second. Over 40% of the time Knight's teams runs in the tournament should have been longer than they were, but they didn't. Yes, he won titles, but explain why in those 12 years he didn't go as far as he should have? Or Coach Izzo? or Coach K? Or name the coach and team. Because the NCAA tournament and deep runs require not only good teams and good coaching, but some luck, beneficial matchups, etc. There's a reason why Coach Wright couldn't get past the first weekend the last 6 years until this year, despite two #2 seeds and one #1 seed.
So you want to compare tourney records of the coaches above and Crean's?

I would agree with you if we were paying 1.5 million a year or something like that. However, we are paying CTC an awful lot of money so I think the expectations should also be pretty darn high.
I don't ever look at what a coach makes but I would rather look at our tournament history compared to the other elite programs and see we don't stack up except for championships.

I don't ever look at what a coach makes but I would rather look at our tournament history compared to the other elite programs and see we don't stack up except for championships.
That is a fact. But when you are paying top ten money deep tourney runs should be part of the expectation. If they are not then you might as well pay somebody half of what we are paying right now.

A
Top two big ten finish and elite 8 or final 4 as this is le

Maybe you are not but there were plenty of posters talking that seemed fine with a sweet sixteen this last year. Its good to see a lot of you want more.
Already changing the tune... And still haven't provided a clear quote.

I did not say I am happy that we have not won championships and want nothing more than a championship. I just don't base my opinion on the season on how far we go. what I don't understand when people say a deep run is a elite 8 but that is just winning one more game than losing in the sweet 16. Just take this year we win the conference with an overall record of 25-6 and lose I the sweet 16. say we went to the elite 8 but finished 4th in the conference with a record of 22-9. to me I take the first because I would rather win the conference and go to the sweet 16 rather than finishing 4th and going to the elite 8.

Oh, baloney. You, more than anyone on here, keeps whining, "Hey, who cares what happens in the Dance? It's all a crap shoot. The only thing I care about is winning the conference."

You're also the only person in the entire universe to claim, "We were never elite" even though we have FIVE championships.

Personally, I think you say all this nonsense just to get attention. I'm done with ya.

If that happens then we need to look in to making a change especially if we are a top 2 seed.
At some point you have to realize it's not going to get any better.

Some of us have already come to that conclusion. Other still think we're on the right path.

I would hope that if this coming year IU can't win at least 2 BTT games and a run to the Elite 8 (or beyond) it would tell folks that things aren't gonna change. By that time just how often do you have to watch the noon news to think the guy ain't jumping off the bridge during the 5 o'clock newscast ?

Anyone can pick out one team out of 300+ and say "look what they did this season with less". The problem is there are 300+ of those teams. I can look at the B1G and say Indiana wasn't predicted to win the B1G lost 3 post players and one of their top two leading scorers yet won the B1G. IU did more with less. So it's all in the perspective you wish to make it out to be. People thinking clearly understand that but you guys are all h3ll bent on trying to fire Crean.....and losing.

Too bad it isn't just "one team out of 300." Lots and lots and lots of teams have less talent than we do yet do better.

History changes. Ask that same question in 1990 and the IU history does stack up quite well. At that time, Duke was competitive, had some nice years, no titles, and probably wasn't even 2nd best in the State of North Carolina. K got them rolling in the late 80's. UCONN was a nobody. Now they have 4 titles. IU has had elite eras and the resources to have more. Whether Crean is the guy or not is yet to be determined, IMO. Other have already determined he is not the guy. Anyway, I absolutely expect more than a sweet 16 next year. Keep racking up 25+ win seasons, competing for Big 10 titles and tournament success will eventually come.

Reactions: PhxFiveOh
Oh, baloney. You, more than anyone on here, keeps whining, "Hey, who cares what happens in the Dance? It's all a crap shoot. The only thing I care about is winning the conference."

You're also the only person in the entire universe to claim, "We were never elite" even though we have FIVE championships.

Personally, I think you say all this nonsense just to get attention. I'm done with ya.
I want to win as bad as anyone and when I was younger I was miserable to be around when my team lost. I have grown up a lot since then and I just don't take losses as bad as I use to. As for us being elite besides the championships we don't stack up with the true elites when it comes to tournament wins or sweet 16 appearances or final four appearances.

History changes. Ask that same question in 1990 and the IU history does stack up quite well. At that time, Duke was competitive, had some nice years, no titles, and probably wasn't even 2nd best in the State of North Carolina. K got them rolling in the late 80's. UCONN was a nobody. Now they have 4 titles. IU has had elite eras and the resources to have more. Whether Crean is the guy or not is yet to be determined, IMO. Other have already determined he is not the guy. Anyway, I absolutely expect more than a sweet 16 next year. Keep racking up 25+ win seasons, competing for Big 10 titles and tournament success will eventually come.
I am saying we have never had a sustain success like those programs have had over time. We have never went to back to back final fours and the most successive sweet 16's is at 4.

Ask any great team in any sport if "Just winning their conference" is good enough.

The Patriots, Lakers, Celtics....you name it.

It's all about Titles.

Period.

You think LeBron would be happy if he took Cleveland to the title game 5 years in a row and never won it?

No.
I think most here believe in striving to win the NC every year. But the fact is, it's not going to happen that often for any one team year over year. So not winning a NC doesn't mean the season as a whole is a total failure. This isn't all or nothing. If that is how you think, then enjoy the rest of your miserable life. Because even if we hire BS, you will be miserable almost every year with our crappy team.

At some point you have to realize it's not going to get any better.

Some of us have already come to that conclusion. Other still think we're on the right path.

I would hope that if this coming year IU can't win at least 2 BTT games and a run to the Elite 8 (or beyond) it would tell folks that things aren't gonna change. By that time just how often do you have to watch the noon news to think the guy ain't jumping off the bridge during the 5 o'clock newscast ?
I would tend to agree with you. We could not get past the sweet sixteen with zeller (bad matchup!!!!) and if we cannot do it next with the talent we have I doubt it ever happens. That will of been 9 years then and I suppose if he got another 9 years there is a chance one day to get further but at some point you have to make a decision. Going to be some pretty high tourney expectation next year for CTC.

If Indiana can string together several seasons like this past one, I would be okay with that, even if most of the time we only get to the sweet 16. Just like with Jay Wright, eventually we would breakthrough and win the title if we consistently put together strong teams. Winning in March, in addition to good coaching, requires momentum and high confidence players.

I think most here believe in striving to win the NC every year. But the fact is, it's not going to happen that often for any one team year over year. So not winning a NC doesn't mean the season as a whole is a total failure. This isn't all or nothing. If that is how you think, then enjoy the rest of your miserable life. Because even if we hire BS, you will be miserable almost every year with our crappy team.
If you have been alive for 77 years and a IU fan you only have been happy 5 out of 77 years of the tournament so if you are only happy with championships you have been pretty miserable most of your life.

Morgan isn't chopped liver.....
Morgan can play multiple positions and will get his minutes. Due to injury and foul trouble, we need a post player with size and strength. We'll get by without one, but would be much better off with someone that could come in and play extended minutes with Bryant on the bench. Unless Priller suddenly becomes that guy, we need to look elsewhere.

The expectations are high...who said they weren't ? Oh yeah...the myth builders did...

I might be biased being an Indiana fan and not a UNC fan, but I don't consider Final Fours as huge accomplishments either. The difference between a sweet 16 run and a final four run imho is not HUGE. It is about winning titles at the end of the day. Indiana has won 5 titles in 8 final 4 appearances... UNC has won 5 titles in what, 20 final 4 appearances?

A big key will be how good Newkirk will be at the point, and if JBJr will FINALLY sell out on the defensive end.

As I've said before, a lot of things broke right just for IU to have the success they had this year. Presumably the schedule will be tougher, but if TW comes back as well (provided he can cure his TO hiccups) there should be NO EXCUSE the Hoosiers can't win AT LEAST 2 BTT games and advance to the Elite 8 (or beyond).

If they can't do it with what would be Crean's deepest team ever, when would they? in year 23?
I agree about Newkirk and JBJ. That will be a big part, but I'm hoping CuJo can really step up and provide that depth. I also think we go a lot more 2 guard lineups, and with our depth up front and at the wing, especially if TW comes back, we could possibly have lineups with a single traditional guard on the court. Mostly because we have pretty good ball handling big guys, and most of them can shoot the 3 like a guard. Will be interesting to watch how this plays out. Losing Yogi is huge, so we will be a different team. But that doesn't mean we still can't be better than this year without Yogi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT