ADVERTISEMENT

Bryant Coming Back..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we to expect a deeper run next year with all we have returning? Will anyone be satisfied with a sweet 16 or less and less than 2 big ten tournament wins no matter how successful our regular season is?
I don't base my opinion on the season as a whole on how far we go in the tournament. Do I hope we make a deep run, yes but if we win the big ten and don't go to the final four Ai would not call the whole season as a failure.

Reactions: Peoples H and YOTHN
Just in from CBS Sports...
Thomas Bryant is returning to Indiana next Year..
Great News.... Go Hoosiers!!!
YES!!! Was so hoping he would make the right choice and return. He really needs another year to develop, and he makes our team so much better. Plus that will give Davis some good competition and help him improve faster as a freshman. Hopefully Davis will also help push Bryant and it will be better for everybody. Getting excited for next year. Guessing Troy is gone, and OG will be back...

Some of us will expect but I think there is a group of fans who are content with sweet sixeteens. So no don't expect everyone one board with a deeper run.
Nobody is content with sweet 16's but we just don't base our opinion on the season as whole by how far we go in the tournament

Reactions: YOTHN
Boom, lock Crean in for longer.

As soon as anyone finds a message where someone (ANYONE) says they are ok with only sweet 16's let us know. Until then, stop using that lame false statement. It just makes you look foolish.

HEY, EVERYONE.....

Right here is an example of satisfied with sweet 16s.

"Lock Crean in for longer"???!!?!!

For what? SWEET 16s???!??

Crean is the 9th highest paid coach in the nation, how much are sweet 16s worth??!?!

Top two big ten finish and elite 8 or final 4 as this is le

Maybe you are not but there were plenty of posters talking that seemed fine with a sweet sixteen this last year. Its good to see a lot of you want more.
And I was one of those because of the injuries and the horrible start I felt this was as far as this team could realistically go. Had we had Rojo for the tournament at full strength I would have expect more but he was a huge loss to an already depleted guard core. Next year I expect much more as long as the team remains healthy. Many have unrealistic expectations that are inflexible regardless of what happens to the team during the year.

Exactly.

Let's see all these people claiming, "We're never just satisfied with a Sweet 16" go on record they want Crean's head if he can't even get to the Elite 8 with this team.
Lets just say we lose JBJ, Rojo, and OG to season ending injuries. If you still expect an elite 8 team you are very unrealistic. If things fall just right I expect them to win it all.

HEY, EVERYONE.....

Crean is the 9th highest paid coach in the nation, how much are sweet 16s worth??!?!
Wrong...but thank you for the chuckle with your creative twist....enjoy your myth!

YES!!! Was so hoping he would make the right choice and return. He really needs another year to develop, and he makes our team so much better. Plus that will give Davis some good competition and help him improve faster as a freshman. Hopefully Davis will also help push Bryant and it will be better for everybody. Getting excited for next year. Guessing Troy is gone, and OG will be back...
No way OG is going anywhere but Troy is a tossup right now.

HEY, EVERYONE.....

There is zero reason to lock him into anything until at least after next season. As I have said who right now is going to pay him more then IU does based on the sweet sixteens? Extending him right now would be a knee jerk foolish move imo. The extension can wait until we see how next year pans out.

Wrong...but thank you for the chuckle with your creative twist....enjoy your myth!

It's easy to deal with people claiming they have raised expectations....excuses....

If IU fails to get past the Sweet 16 next year (Not losing any key player during the season), has Crean failed?

How did Michigan State's deep run go this year?

The NCAA tournament doesn't guarantee anything. You can have the best team in the country, but anything call happen on a given day. Bob Knight's teams underperformed to their seeding 12 times in his 29 years at IU. Think about that for a second. Over 40% of the time Knight's teams runs in the tournament should have been longer than they were, but they didn't. Yes, he won titles, but explain why in those 12 years he didn't go as far as he should have? Or Coach Izzo? or Coach K? Or name the coach and team. Because the NCAA tournament and deep runs require not only good teams and good coaching, but some luck, beneficial matchups, etc. There's a reason why Coach Wright couldn't get past the first weekend the last 6 years until this year, despite two #2 seeds and one #1 seed.

Totally agree with this. No matter how good you are, you can never have any semblance of confidence entering the tournament. Until they move to a best of series in NCAA, the best team will rarely win the championship. This is why I personally put more weight on conference championships. Making a deep run in the tourney is great and obviously I would love a championship, but it doesn't define a season.

Reactions: iufanjet
Making a deep run in the tourney is great and obviously I would love a championship, but it doesn't define a season.

Tell that to Duke, Kentucky or Kansas.

Self has won 12 conference titles in a freaking row and some fans are calling for his head because he didn't even make the Final Four with the # 1 team and only has one title.

Kaintuck or Duke would never put up with, "Hey, at least we made the Sweet 16" every year no matter how many conference titles they won.

I heard the announcers say many times during the Dance, "A team's reputation is set by what they do in March."

People don't want Brad Stevens because he "won his conference"......or Greg Marshall. People want them because they proved they can get to the Final Four with lesser talent.

He is a BT POY type kid who will dominate next year.

And his return guarantees a decent preseason ranking w or w/o Williams.

Actual elite schools do.
I have said we are not elite and like I have shown many times our tournament history has never been on par with what the elite schools have done. Besides the championships nothing about our tournament history stacks up with UK, Duke, UNC or KU. Look at final four appearances, tournament wins, sweet 16 appearances and they just don't stack up with them.

Self has won 12 conference titles in a freaking row and some fans are calling for his head because he didn't even make the Final Four with the # 1 team and only has one title.

Kaintuck or Duke would never put up with, "Hey, at least we made the Sweet 16" every year no matter how many conference titles they won.

I heard the announcers say many times during the Dance, "A team's reputation is set by what they do in March."

People don't want Brad Stevens because he "won his conference"......or Greg Marshall. People want them because they proved they can get to the Final Four with lesser talent.
You are correct sir. To many of these programs how you do in the tourney defines the whole season. I don't think Kansas fans give a rats .... about winning the conference title each year. They want national titles period.

Are we to expect a deeper run next year with all we have returning? Will anyone be satisfied with a sweet 16 or less and less than 2 big ten tournament wins no matter how successful our regular season is?
A big key will be how good Newkirk will be at the point, and if JBJr will FINALLY sell out on the defensive end.

As I've said before, a lot of things broke right just for IU to have the success they had this year. Presumably the schedule will be tougher, but if TW comes back as well (provided he can cure his TO hiccups) there should be NO EXCUSE the Hoosiers can't win AT LEAST 2 BTT games and advance to the Elite 8 (or beyond).

If they can't do it with what would be Crean's deepest team ever, when would they? in year 23?

We are not Duke or UK and never had their tournament success so why try to compare us to those programs.

My dream front line of Davis, Bryant, and OG is intact for next year. Take our pick of any guard combination and we should have another fun season. One more big on the bench will give us a team that can compete deep in the tournament.

Again, Crean has been to a final four. So we know the coach has the ability to get there. Since then he's been rebuilding a program that was brought to its knees through sanctions and early exits. Not one soul worth a darn wanted to come to IU until Zeller started changing minds. Once that happened the flood gates began to pour in and a foundatoin is now set. I expect the team to do well all season long. Will I judge the coach only on the tournament, no. I'm able to to think a lot smarter than that and look at the entire season as a package. Winning a conference is a big deal. Going to 3 sweet 16's does not make the coach elite but it also doesn't mean he is unable to go further considering he has already done that. What 3 sweet 16's does allow is for a longer look see at what we have to determine if the growth continues to rise. If it falls back down then we have a better idea on the value of our coach. Right now, I don't look at coach and say he has failed us. He has laid a good foundation and is getting us opportunities to compete for a national title, as is expected. If we were finishing 3-4th in the big and losing in the sweet 16 I would be more apt to say yeah, we are not where we should be. Winning the big ten and making the sweet 16 says we had a bad night. I am ok with a bad night periodically. They happen.

Reactions: iufanjet
You are correct sir. To many of these programs how you do in the tourney defines the whole season. I don't think Kansas fans give a rats .... about winning the conference title each year. They want national titles period.
Just because they think that way does not mean it is the right way of thinking about the season

Boom, lock Crean in for longer.

As soon as anyone finds a message where someone (ANYONE) says they are ok with only sweet 16's let us know. Until then, stop using that lame false statement. It just makes you look foolish.
Agree. Don't recall anybody stating that.

It is just like when you are raising kids and they say everyone is doing drugs so why can't I. I tell them just because all the other kids are going about their lives wrong does not mean you have to act like them. It is just like when looking at our program compared to other programs. Just because other fan bases are lunatics does not mean our fans have to be the same way.

Exactly.

Also, Thomas Bryant is trending on Twitter. Pretty sweet.

Reactions: russelltodd
Just because they think that way does not mean it is the right way of thinking about the season

Ask any great team in any sport if "Just winning their conference" is good enough.

The Patriots, Lakers, Celtics....you name it.

It's all about Titles.

Period.

You think LeBron would be happy if he took Cleveland to the title game 5 years in a row and never won it?

No.

Reactions: russelltodd
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT