ADVERTISEMENT

Brunk

Maybe Brunk will just shut it down and play next year.
Given our recruiting for next year and lack of size overall as well as TJD’s likely departure, I would beg Brunk to play next year. Maybe be could be a player / GA.

Given our recruiting for next year and lack of size overall as well as TJD’s likely departure, I would beg Brunk to play next year. Maybe be could be a player / GA.
He can play next year anyway if he wants to can't he? Or that just for football?

We’re in big trouble then, I don’t see us being any better than a bubble team without Brunk. The lack of size is unacceptable for a program of IU’s caliber.

We’re in big trouble then, I don’t see us being any better than a bubble team without Brunk. The lack of size is unacceptable for a program of IU’s caliber.
Yeah, I've posted this before, but I've looked at many of our opponents on the year and several top 25 programs and almost all have at least 4 guys 6'9" or above (I picked 6'9" because to me that's when a guy starts to be more of a true post, or at least defend the post... there are tons of guys 6'8" now who play out on the wing or floor). We have 2, and one is Brunk. I think that's a fair and legit criticism of our staff. Look at any B10 teams and other power 5 conference teams, and you'll see what I mean. Many have 6. Still say this past class should have only had 1 of Leal or Galloway and a post to develop. I hope 1 way or another, we end up with a couple next year, although I guess we already have 1 in Duncomb, but if Brunk doesn't come back, I think we need 2 more, and then we start having unbalanced classes, but so be it.

He can play next year anyway if he wants to can't he? Or that just for football?
I think so. What I am saying is that Archie should be recruiting him to stay for depth and also finding a big man transfer or two for next season.

I think so. What I am saying is that Archie should be recruiting him to stay for depth and also finding a big man transfer or two for next season.
I remember a quote from Abe Lemons I read, I'm not that old, We should bore a hole in the floor and everyone would be going after the little guy.

we'd be fine if we could run the 1 in/4 out offense like Iowa...but that takes shooters, and...well....yeah we're very thin on the blocks. Any game where TJD gets into first half foul trouble, and we're in a world of hurt.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Yeah, I've posted this before, but I've looked at many of our opponents on the year and several top 25 programs and almost all have at least 4 guys 6'9" or above (I picked 6'9" because to me that's when a guy starts to be more of a true post, or at least defend the post... there are tons of guys 6'8" now who play out on the wing or floor). We have 2, and one is Brunk. I think that's a fair and legit criticism of our staff. Look at any B10 teams and other power 5 conference teams, and you'll see what I mean. Many have 6. Still say this past class should have only had 1 of Leal or Galloway and a post to develop. I hope 1 way or another, we end up with a couple next year, although I guess we already have 1 in Duncomb, but if Brunk doesn't come back, I think we need 2 more, and then we start having unbalanced classes, but so be it.
Galloway has a better 2 way game than Leal. I'd start Galloway over Al. Galloway is the best of the Freshmen currently. Both Galloway and Lander should be heavy contributors this season.

Reactions: bigmac76

Of course it is a reasonable criticism. Needing size in the B1G is as old as the league.
Unless TJD can score big in the post against bigger defenders this year, he will need to come back. But that doesn't mean he will, and Archie and staff have a very concerning recruiting problem next season. They would a major uptick in guard production if TJD is not back and without Brunk too, forget about an NCAA bid

Of course it is a reasonable criticism. Needing size in the B1G is as old as the league.
Unless TJD can score big in the post against bigger defenders this year, he will need to come back. But that doesn't mean he will, and Archie and staff have a very concerning recruiting problem next season. They would a major uptick in guard production if TJD is not back and without Brunk too, forget about an NCAA bid
You’ll see every team work to get TJD into foul trouble, which will further pressure our weakness inside.

We aren't that far away from the 6'6-6'7 front court of Juwan Morgan and Justin Smith. This just doesn't fly in the Big Ten.

TJD isn't even 6"9, anyone who's seen him in person knows he's no bigger than 6"8. Putting a clear power forward, (especially one who can't shoot) in a position where they have to play center in a major conference is completely unfair to the player. Also probably explains why recruiting has gone down the toilet as of late.

Being suddenly without Brunk means that IU is going to have to learn to shoot to win games in conference, and after the last few seasons nobody should be confident of that.

Last edited:
You realize the transfer market will be packed with upperclassmen due to giving an extra year and a free transfer? I'm not sold TJD doesn't stay another year, either. Will he be a lotto pick without a reliable jump shot, cause with him and one more piece, IU is a national contender....

Reactions: jiouhyu
You realize the transfer market will be packed with upperclassmen due to giving an extra year and a free transfer? I'm not sold TJD doesn't stay another year, either. Will he be a lotto pick without a reliable jump shot, cause with him and one more piece, IU is a national contender....
So our strategy for recruiting counted on a never before seen or instituted rule change? I'm talking about the composition of this past class and our roster construction compared to other teams in our range. So you think it's a good strategy to have 2 guys that are 6'9" when most other top half P5 conference schools generally have 4 or more?

Last edited:
Galloway has a better 2 way game than Leal. I'd start Galloway over Al. Galloway is the best of the Freshmen currently. Both Galloway and Lander should be heavy contributors this season.
I'm not arguing who the best or better player is, I'm just saying there's a lot of redundancy between Durham, Franklin, Leal, and Galloway and I think we should have only taken 1 of the last 2 in favor of a frontcourt player to develop.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I'm not arguing who the best or better player is, I'm just saying there's a lot of redundancy between Durham, Franklin, Leal, and Galloway and I think we should have only taken 1 of the last 2 in favor of a frontcourt player to develop.
I'd agree: Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway are all basically the same player. We needed at least another big.

So our strategy for recruiting counted on a never before seen or instituted rule change? I'm talking about the composition of this past class and our roster construction compared to other teams in our range. So you think it's a good strategy to have 2 guys that are 6'9" when most other top half P5 conference schools generally have 4 or more?

It appears that we had no strategy for a front court beyond this year. We should have planned to replace our entire starting front court (If planning last year: Brunk, TJD and smith). We could count on Race, but who else? Certainly seems logical to pencil in Hunter for Smiths role, but who does he guard? I am not feeling great about a front court of just Race, who will be an upperclassman as well.

Now, we may benefit from a kid like Joey coming back due to COVID, but that’s not based on planning or strategy.

Oh, and I get it. It’s a new world with transfers and I keep hearing about how this is so great for us, But, that knife cuts both ways. What if some of our players like the idea of being a free agent?

At some point Miller needs to recruit SOME 4 year players that are big men. Has he signed even 1?

Did/does IU not have scholarships available? THis make it sound as if one or more of IU's freshmen prevented someone else from signing.

As I recall, IU offered a number of bigs. Only one committed but it's not as if others weren't diligently pursued and offered. One can advance many reasons as to why the Team may/will be lacking in size, but it is not because IU/MIller didn't try nor because someone on the current Roster sucked up a spot that could have gone to someone else.

If I'm missing something here do let me know. I get the angst/trepidation about a likely near-term lack of size in the frontcourt, but acting like recruiting bigs wasn't/isn't on Miller and Staff's radar, or that it was a mistake to sign someone on the current roster strikes me as absurd.

Did/does IU not have scholarships available? THis make it sound as if one or more of IU's freshmen prevented someone else from signing.

As I recall, IU offered a number of bigs. Only one committed but it's not as if others weren't diligently pursued and offered. One can advance many reasons as to why the Team may/will be lacking in size, but it is not because IU/MIller didn't try nor because someone on the current Roster sucked up a spot that could have gone to someone else.

If I'm missing something here do let me know. I get the angst/trepidation about a likely near-term lack of size in the frontcourt, but acting like recruiting bigs wasn't/isn't on Miller and Staff's radar, or that it was a mistake to sign someone on the current roster strikes me as absurd.
It was a Recruiting failure on Miller’s part to not Fill the Obvious needs of the Team on the Baseline. It’s left us in the unenviable position of trying to shore up what was already a painfully thin Baseline, and that’s unquestionably going to present serious Problems when we enter Conference play. Would have thought this was obvious to all, or at least that it should’ve been.

Back injuries really do cause a lot of grief. I have had them since about five yrs ago when I fell on the ice while shoveling snow. I can't imagine trying to play B1G basketball with an injury like this. I don't even want to go out and mow the yard.
you ever thought of praying to trump, he might heal you

• Haha
Reactions: travlinhoosier
It appears that we had no strategy for a front court beyond this year. We should have planned to replace our entire starting front court (If planning last year: Brunk, TJD and smith). We could count on Race, but who else? Certainly seems logical to pencil in Hunter for Smiths role, but who does he guard? I am not feeling great about a front court of just Race, who will be an upperclassman as well.

Now, we may benefit from a kid like Joey coming back due to COVID, but that’s not based on planning or strategy.

Oh, and I get it. It’s a new world with transfers and I keep hearing about how this is so great for us, But, that knife cuts both ways. What if some of our players like the idea of being a free agent?

At some point Miller needs to recruit SOME 4 year players that are big men. Has he signed even 1?

I would guess Duncomb fits the bill as a 4 year player. This is what, only his 3rd real class... think his first class was TC holdovers, correct?

Reactions: darkhawk returns
I would guess Duncomb fits the bill as a 4 year player. This is what, only his 3rd real class... think his first class was TC holdovers, correct?
Duncomb and whoever fills out that class will be the fourth class that Archie has recruited from beginning to end.

Not sure, but early recruits like Fitzner, Forrester, D. Anderson and Romeo weren’t here very long. Wish we had some veteran bigs. Was Race a Miller recruit?

Yea, but there's no sense in worrying about it now.

Next year is a year away, with a spring recruiting period and a likely glut of transfers this year..

If we don't have bigs in Sept 21.. then it's a concern. Until then ........ meh

With the guards we have there will be bigs interested in playing for IU.

My response to you was deleted. I hope you read it before it was. Funny how your post was NOT deleted because as a basketball board your post didn't have anything to do with the subject at hand.
Rarely do your posts have any to do with the topic at hand. You talk about yourself and your feelings almost exclusively, and neither are interesting.

My response to you was deleted. I hope you read it before it was. Funny how your post was NOT deleted because as a basketball board your post didn't have anything to do with the subject at hand.

Hypocrite. As if your absurd, stupid and self-indulgent fairy tale BS about angels did.

Proselytize elsewhere. No one here gives a sh*t about your infantile fantasies.

try again you were talking about your back injury I offered a remedy , I didn't see your response but am curious what kind of wisdom you tried to impart on me

Why don't you all just tell each other how much you hate one another and leave the board. It's pretty obvious to everyone. VanPastorMan is obviously a GOD fearing man and the tolerant, enlightened ones on this board demonize him. Sad.
I agree. Why the need to be mean?

Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT