ADVERTISEMENT

Any Wisconsin fans lurking?

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Or do any IU fans have any insight? What's going on with Essegian up there this year?

Appears to have played in all/most of their games. But is only playing 7 minutes a game...with a lot under 5 minutes.

Injuries? I know they've added some athleticism...but seems strange a kid that averaged 27 minutes a game, and over 11ppg, would drop off so dramatically.

The Blackwell kid seems to have come in and taken a bunch of his minutes and deservedly so. He's good.

He's a streaky shooter at best that can't defend a chair. That was always going to be his problem playing at this level of basketball. And that's less than ideal playing in Wisconsin's system.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Connor suffered a back injury in the first game of the season. While he's working his way back, it's apparent the injury has affected his shot. He's also struggled mightily on defense. AJ Storr, (transfer from St. John's) has been added to the starting lineup also greatly impacting Connor's playing time.

Speaking of Storr, both he and Keshon Gilbert (formerly of UNLV and now at Iowa State) were two wing players I strongly advocated for out of the portal this last offseason. Both great two way players enjoying phenomenal years at their new schools. I know IU reached out to Gilbert but nothing seriously materialized and not sure if the staff made any head way or not with Storr.

Reactions: LetsGoRed!
Connor suffered a back injury in the first game of the season. While he's working his way back, it's apparent the injury has affected his shot. He's also struggled mightily on defense. AJ Storr, (transfer from St. John's) has been added to the starting lineup also greatly impacting Connor's playing time.
Thanks for the info. I figured it was a combination of injury and overall athleticism upgrades. The dramatic drop off in role has been surprising, to me. But then, I was pretty surprised with how productive he was last year to start with.

Good sign for Wisky fans that Gard recognized some needs and addressed them. Essegian was a guy he could have continued to fully roll with, and no one would have batted an eye I bet.

Reactions: LetsGoRed!
Speaking of Storr, both he and Keshon Gilbert (formerly of UNLV and now at Iowa State) were two wing players I strongly advocated for out of the portal this last offseason. Both great two way players enjoying phenomenal years at their new schools. I know IU reached out to Gilbert but nothing seriously materialized and not sure if the staff made any head way or not with Storr.
I've been advocating for versatile 2 way guard/wings since Woody arrived. Its why that TV game Jakai Newton played injured in excited me as much as it did. He's the exact type of guys we need more of. Storr and Gilbert seem to be as well.

Hopefully Woody gets a handful of them this offseason. Even if that means some attrition with current guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT