ADVERTISEMENT

What's your take on this Big Lew?

Should a coach at another program really post on the message board of his former school? I always thought it was odd even in spite of him being a former player

Reactions: Bucket Getter
No way he comments. But unfortunately we’re all seeing the same thing and have seen glimpses of it the past few years. Mercer/Simons are fantastic recruiters and the pure talent will win games, but his ‘system’ doesn’t seem to translate into getting players to the next level of success while they’re at IU. This years team will have 6-7 guys drafted in this years draft and a few the following year, so we can’t argue talent. Somehow the previous year the excuse was the team was young? Look at the lineups and it really wasn't. Year before that it was all our pitchers were drafted, which they were and we went out and grabbed a bunch of 86/87 mph righties??
I still hope they can turn this ship around, but I think it’ll be the talent overcoming the coaching vs. the coaching making adjustments. I hope I’m wrong and can watch a regional at IU!!

@biglewexpress you haven't posted on this forum since the end of last season. Have you lost your connections? Disengaged? You always provided good insight.
I pay attention. I’ve said it here many times regarding this staff. It’s an odd feeling around them. Even back in November for the 2013 reunion it was just weird.

I always said defense has never really been a priority of this staff, even going back to when they didn’t play Jeremy Houston in favor of more production offensively. Just glancing at the stats it is pretty egregious that Cerney has 1/3 of the total team errors and is fielding .882 and is still playing one of the most important defensive positions. Probably because there’s no real depth at that position, and that’s recruiting, development, and scouting.

Glant hasn’t been good either, and the numbers over the years tell you that. From a preparation, scouting, developmental and recruiting standpoint especially.

Baseball is complicatedly simple. At this level you have to pitch and play defense exceptionally well to get to the tournament. You have to play near flawless to get to Omaha.

I pay attention. I’ve said it here many times regarding this staff. It’s an odd feeling around them. Even back in November for the 2013 reunion it was just weird.

I always said defense has never really been a priority of this staff, even going back to when they didn’t play Jeremy Houston in favor of more production offensively. Just glancing at the stats it is pretty egregious that Cerney has 1/3 of the total team errors and is fielding .882 and is still playing one of the most important defensive positions. Probably because there’s no real depth at that position, and that’s recruiting, development, and scouting.

Glant hasn’t been good either, and the numbers over the years tell you that. From a preparation, scouting, developmental and recruiting standpoint especially.

Baseball is complicatedly simple. At this level you have to pitch and play defense exceptionally well to get to the tournament. You have to play near flawless to get to Omaha.
What grade would you give them this year?

On Glant, I’m confused about some guys that were pretty good under him last year but are now gasoline cans.

Should a coach at another program really post on the message board of his former school? I always thought it was odd even in spite of him being a former player.t
Should a coach at another program really post on the message board of his former school? I always thought it was odd even in spite of him being a former player
Surely this is not Roger, maybe an acquaintance, but not Roger himself. Plus FWIW neither Jeremy nor Justin were great SS or hitters. Jeremy was not a shadow of Corey Ray.

A kid in my wife's family left after three years in the program. I've not talked to him directly, but I talked to his mother a week ago.
When he decided to transfer, he told her there was a lot of turmoil in the program and he was not getting support from the staff.
All-State Indiana Top 5.
Academic Dean's list.
Great family.

On Glant, I’m confused about some guys that were pretty good under him last year but are now gasoline cans.
The Indiana State staff has done a great job with Luke Hayden and he is a totally different pitcher this season in his first season with them. He had all kinds of control problems at IU, but there is not much hint of that this season as he leads the ISU pitching staff in innings pitched at 32.2 IP. His current ERA is 3.31 with a WHIP of 1.56 and an OBA of .254. He has 38 Ks to 19 BBs and just 2 WPs and 3 hit batters. He has given up just two homers in the 32.2 innings pitched.

His stats at IU:

2022 - ERA of 5.27 in 27.1 IP.
2023 - ERA of 9.00 in 24.0 IP.

• Wow
A kid in my wife's family left after three years in the program. I've not talked to him directly, but I talked to his mother a week ago.
When he decided to transfer, he told her there was a lot of turmoil in the program and he was not getting support from the staff.
All-State Indiana Top 5.
Academic Dean's list.
Great

The Indiana State staff has done a great job with Luke Hayden and he is a totally different pitcher this season in his first season with them. He had all kinds of control problems at IU, but there is not much hint of that this season as he leads the ISU pitching staff in innings pitched at 32.2 IP. His current ERA is 3.31 with a WHIP of 1.56 and an OBA of .254. He has 38 Ks to 19 BBs and just 2 WPs and 3 hit batters. He has given up just two homers in the 32.2 innings pitched.

His stats at IU:

Wow

All-State Indiana Top 5.
Academic Dean's list.
Great family.
Not surprised to hear that, as I said it’s a weird vibe with this staff.

His stats at IU:

That’s called coaching and development.

Good to see any talented kid get into a situation where they can be supported and reach their potential. Hate to see any guy leave IU, but looks like it’s working out wonderful for several of the guys who have left the past couple years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT