ADVERTISEMENT

Bitcoin

snarlcakes

All-American
Sep 9, 2009
Blackrock and now Fidelity have applied for a Bitcoin spot ETF. 60+% of Bitcoin hasn’t moved in the last year. Also, supply will dry up some with the halving, next April. Once, people understand Bitcoin they don’t sell. The separation of the State and money will be one of the greatest human achievements in history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01
and now Fidelity have applied for a Bitcoin spot ETF. 60+% of Bitcoin hasn’t moved in the last year. Also, supply will dry up some with the halving, next April. Once, people understand Bitcoin they don’t sell. The separation of the State and money will be one of the greatest human achievements in history.

What about Doge? I need that to drastically improve.

and now Fidelity have applied for a Bitcoin spot ETF. 60+% of Bitcoin hasn’t moved in the last year. Also, supply will dry up some with the halving, next April. Once, people understand Bitcoin they don’t sell. The separation of the State and money will be one of the greatest human achievements in history.

I cant wrap my head around bitcoin. As near as I can tell, it isn’t much different from using baseball cards as money, except cards have some intrinsic value. Bitcoin doesn’t.

Would you buy a bond or other debt instrument payable only with bitcoin?

Reactions: Bill4411
I cant wrap my head around bitcoin. As near as I can tell, it isn’t much different from using baseball cards as money, except cards have some intrinsic value. Bitcoin doesn’t.
Can't the same thing be said about the dollar or any currency?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
You’re not going to totally get it unless you study it. I can send whatever amount of Bitcoin across the world in seconds and it can be instantaneously verified by the network. No third party, no government gatekeepers, 24/7 365 days a year. Several 100 million problem own Bitcoin now. It definitely has intrinsic value to a lot of us.
Would you buy a bond or other debt instrument payable only with bitcoin?
I personally just buy Bitcoin. I assume there will be a lot of interest in the spot ETF, if it gets approved. There are a lot of people who want exposure, but don’t want to hassle with Coinbase or self custody.

You’re not going to totally get it unless you study it. I can send whatever amount of Bitcoin across the world in seconds and it can be instantaneously verified by the network. No third party, no government gatekeepers, 24/7 365 days a year. Several 100 million problem own Bitcoin now. It definitely has intrinsic value to a lot of us.

I personally just buy Bitcoin. I assume there will be a lot of interest in the spot ETF, if it gets approved. There are a lot of people who want exposure, but don’t want to hassle with Coinbase or self custody.
So the price is at $26,430 for one bitcoin, down off the high of 30,000+, but more than the low of $24,900+.

Can I wait until the crash happens in the stock market before I buy my bitcoin?

The US will have a dollar based cryptocurrency within a few years. Some countries already have one based on their own currency. From what I have read (and that is not a lot) there are only so many bitcoins.

One thing that I don't understand and haven't tried very hard is bitcoin mining. It supposedly uses a lot of electricity but I have to idea what they are doing. Is there bitcoins floating around out there with no owners so you're trying to grab one of those?

The US will have a dollar based cryptocurrency within a few years. Some countries already have one based on their own currency. From what I have read (and that is not a lot) there are only so many bitcoins.
You’re correct. There are only 21 million Bitcoin.
One thing that I don't understand and haven't tried very hard is bitcoin mining. It supposedly uses a lot of electricity but I have to idea what they are doing. Is there bitcoins floating around out there with no owners so you're trying to grab one of those?
The Bitcoin network is programmed to produce 21 million Bitcoins. Every 10 minutes miners compete to try and solve a complex math problem on what they call a block. The miner that solves the equation gets a reward. Currently, the reward is 6.25 Bitcoins. Every 4 years the network goes through a halving process (half the amount of bitcoins are produced in a day). It’s currently 900 each day and will be 450, next April.

The Bitcoin network is programmed to produce 21 million Bitcoins. Every 10 minutes miners compete to try and solve a complex math problem on what they call a block. The miner that solves the equation gets a reward. Currently, the reward is 6.25 Bitcoins. Every 4 years the network goes through a halving process (half the amount of bitcoins are produced in a day). It’s currently 900 each day and will be 450, next April.
So if the price of a Bitcoin was $25,000 when the reward was given and the owner sold them then it would be other people's money buying the Bitcoins? Doesn't that deflate the value of current Bitcoins.

How many Bitcoins is there currently?

So if the price of a Bitcoin was $25,000 when the reward was given and the owner sold them then it would be other people's money buying the Bitcoins? Doesn't that deflate the value of current Bitcoins.

How many Bitcoins is there currently?
Yes, it deflates some, but it has a high stock to flow ratio currently. Around 19.5 million have already been mined.

Last edited:
Can't the same thing be said about the dollar or any currency?
No. The US dollar is backed by the ability of the Uncle Sam to issue debt and people willing to buy that debt. Not the same for baseball cards.

I’ve studied it. Why do bitcoin users use the dollar to express its value? Why not just use dollars? Near as I can tell it’s a like using Trump’s digital trading cards without all the baggage. What holds it up are people‘s willingness to use it. You can turn anything into money that way.

Next question. How does bitcoin mining work on the transaction as you describe.

My portfolio can only handle one fiat currency

No. The US dollar is backed by the ability of the Uncle Sam to issue debt and people willing to buy that debt. Not the same for baseball cards.
Well essentially the same thing can be said about the bitcoin... it's backed by the fact that other people are willing to buy it.

• Love
Reactions: Sope Creek
Well essentially the same thing can be said about the bitcoin... it's backed by the fact that other people are willing to buy it.
exactly.

As long as there is a USA, I can liquidate my IBonds and exchange them for goods and services.

To liquidate bitcoins for goods and services, I’m at the whim of . . . . .what?

I’ve studied it. Why do bitcoin users use the dollar to express its value?
The dollar is the current dominant currency is why it’s expressed in it.
Why not just use dollars?
I do use dollars. I own Bitcoin because it has appreciated faster than any other asset the past 14 years and I think it’s going to continue that trend. I also have lost faith in governments doing the right thing and believe in separation of states and money.
Near as I can tell it’s a like using Trump’s digital trading cards without all the baggage. What holds it up are people‘s willingness to use it. You can turn anything into money that way.
Anything can be used has money. Humans have used shells, gold, silver, beads, and etcs as currency throughout history. We currently use an excel sheet. The hardest money will end up surviving and in my opinion that will be Bitcoin. Every fiat currencies has went to zero as governments debase the currency and over time people lose faith in the currency.

Next question. How does bitcoin mining work on the transaction as you describe.
Im not sure? I do know miners help secure the network and anyone who runs the network can verify transactions.

Reactions: NPT
I do use dollars. I own Bitcoin because it has appreciated faster than any other asset the past 14 years and I think it’s going to continue that trend. I also have lost faith in governments doing the right thing and believe in separation of states and money.
So if you wanted to cash in your Bitcoins for $$ you'd be dependent on someone else buying them? Explain the procedure for converting them to a country's currency.

The dollar is the current dominant currency is why it’s expressed in it.

Anything can be used has money. Humans have used shells, gold, silver, beads, and etcs as currency throughout history. We currently use an excel sheet. The hardest money will end up surviving and in my opinion that will be Bitcoin. Every fiat currencies has went to zero as governments debase the currency and over time people lose faith in the currency.

Im not sure? I do know miners help secure the network and anyone who runs the network can verify transactions.
Currency is a federal reserve bank note. The separation isn’t possible and a dollar value is totally dependent on the continued US existence. What does a bitcoin value depend on besides people’s feelings about it?

Some if my IBonds are virtual. I consider them the same as bitcoin, except with a guaranteed liquidation value.

exactly.

As long as there is a USA, I can liquidate my IBonds and exchange them for goods and services.

To liquidate bitcoins for goods and services, I’m at the whim of . . . . .what?
You’re at the whim of someone else valuing it. The larger the network gets, the less of an issue it becomes. I can currently send Bitcoin to you (if you had a private wallet) exchanges like coinbase, Venmo, other private wallets and etcs. You’re are correct that it is a risk, but so is holding dollars, stocks, and other assets.

Last edited:
So if you wanted to cash in your Bitcoins for $$ you'd be dependent on someone else buying them? Explain the procedure for converting them to a country's currency.
As I understand it, bitcoin has become just another investable asset. You're right, in its current iteration at least, it does require a fiat currency to describe its value. That sort of defeats the argument that it's an improvement on a fiat currency . . . .

So if you wanted to cash in your Bitcoins for $$ you'd be dependent on someone else buying them?
Yes
Explain the procedure for converting them to a country's currency.
You can hold it in multiple currencies, but the wallets show you how much Bitcoin you own, as well. So, for example NPT owns 1.35788 Bitcoins.

Unfortunately, like herpes, you’re stuck with the consequences for life.
I had been staying away from looking, but this thread made me.... $1,800 is now $249.45..... and it burns, it burns bad. I'm sure it will go up soon though.

Currency is a federal reserve bank note. The separation isn’t possible and a dollar value is totally dependent on the continued US existence. What does a bitcoin value depend on besides people’s feelings about it?
It’s broken down into sats and you can see how much you own.
Some if my IBonds are virtual. I consider them the same as bitcoin, except with a guaranteed liquidation value.
I could liquidate my Bitcoin faster than you could liquidate your IBonds. The network doesn’t take off the weekends or holidays.

Last edited:
I had been staying away from looking, but this thread made me.... $1,800 is now $249.45..... and it burns, it burns bad. I'm sure it will go up soon though.
oh even better yet. I had this in Voyager, who went ch 11... I can claim and get 35% of my shit out (or so it seems).... I love crypto. REminds me of my 2nd wife.

It’s broken down into sats and you can see how much you own.

I could liquidate my Bitcoin faster than you could liquidate your IBonds. The network doesn’t take off the weekends or holidays.
So how would you liquidate them and get your $$$?

oh even better yet. I had this in Voyager, who went ch 11... I can claim and get 35% of my shit out (or so it seems).... I love crypto. REminds me of my 2nd wife.
Now I am learning that Voyager was part of that scam bankman fraud BS... This just keep getting better. I love crypto I love crypto I love crypto......

• Haha
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT