ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Joel still has it. Wow.

I can see it except for Elton. Crocodile Rock, Saturday Nights all right for fighting, Levon. Tiny dancer(?). Some good songs in there.
My first couple albums were Doobie Bros 'Captain and Me', and Elton John 'Greatest Hits' (The 1974 one wearing the white suit).
I put on headphones and played those two for hours. Cranking way up 'Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting' every time. Then got the Beatles White Album, did the same thing. All great music. Elton's early stuff was really good.

I think you’re way off on a couple of these.

Yes, Piano Man is awful - we can agree on that. But the rest of Joel’s stuff is awesome and I’m much younger than his usual crowd. And I’m probably the worlds biggest Gen-Xennial Elton John fan.

Rush sucks. Queen is meh.
If you check out Lee’s book My Effin’ Life, you might develop an appreciation for Rush. Not saying you’ll suddenly love their music, just an appreciation.

I can see it except for Elton. Crocodile Rock, Saturday Nights all right for fighting, Levon. Tiny dancer(?). Some good songs in there.

My top 5:

Rush
Def Leopard
Bob Dylan
REM
George Michael (except Faith. Loved that music video).
the show the bear has a lot of goo dmusic and features a lot of rem stuff. the scenes with strange currencies playing in the background are great. and if you havent seen it the xmas episode ranks up there with great episodes from the very best shows imo

Reactions: BradStevens
Elton John's early stuff -- Elton John, Tea for the Tillerman Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across the Water -- were great. Then he went pop/Top 40 and it was shit from there.

Yes was the best of the prog era (with ELP right behind). Then they too went too pop with Relayer and never recovered. The Yes Album and Close to the Edge are two of the best albums that ever hit vinyl.

Last edited:
Elton John's early stuff -- Elton John, Tea for the Tillerman, Madman Across the Water -- were great. Then he went pop/Top 40 and it was shit from there.

Yes was the best of the prog era (with ELP right behind). Then they too went too pop with Relayer and never recovered. The Yes Album and Close to the Edge are two of the best albums that ever hit vinyl.
Tea for the Tillerman? I don’t think so.

His post rehab stuff was very good too. Too Low for Zero is a masterpiece and I really liked Songs from the West Coast. “This Train Don’t Stop here Anymore” is the best song I’ve ever heard on getting older.

Yes, Piano Man is awful - we can agree on that. But the rest of Joel’s stuff is awesome and I’m much younger than his usual crowd. And I’m probably the worlds biggest Gen-Xennial Elton John fan.

Billy Joel is an auto veto. I can't stand songs written on piano nor can I stand pop rock.. There's not one song he made that's tolerable to me. Elton is an icon. As far as writing on piano, he's one of the few that can and make it interesting.. Rush sucks unless you're 13 years old. Ayn Rand reading MFs. Queen is one of the greatest rock bands ever, but they've been so overplayed (same ten songs) that they've become boring.

I gave you a like because you said Rush sucks ..

Carry on ..

Reactions: larsIU

who cares. what is gen-xennial? half gen x half millenial?

the show the bear has a lot of goo dmusic and features a lot of rem stuff. the scenes with strange currencies playing in the background are great. and if you havent seen it the xmas episode ranks up there with great episodes from the very best shows imo
Oh I really got into it. Good show and that episode was great.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Elton John's early stuff -- Elton John, Tea for the Tillerman Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across the Water -- were great. Then he went pop/Top 40 and it was shit from there.

I’ll give you that early Yes was good. Still can’t get past Jon Anderson’s screechy, high voice. Will never happen unless I become an AI Master, but substitute Roger Daltry’s voice and we’re talking exponentially better.

Elton John’s first few albums were good. Then he went all glam and pop and shit and . . . .blech.

You play harmonica? Very cool. Back in the day I loved big head Todd. Way back I liked blues traveler too. Both big on harmonica. They’re actually playing together this summer
Well, I haven't really played in a while. I've seen Blues Traveler several times (3-4). IMHO, Popper is the best ever, at least from a technical ability standpoint. Musically, there are some old timers I would put up there with him (Little Walter for example). But no one can play like Popper.

Some of the most fun I had playing was with some of the old timers. Guys from down south who ended up on the blues circuit in the Midwest. Toledo was kind of a mecca for Delta blues back in the 1950s-60's. Big Jack Reynolds was my favorite. Played with him on several occasions. He was bigger than life, but always offered suggestions. There's even a documentary about him:

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, I haven't really played in a while. I've seen Blues Traveler several times (3-4). IMHO, Popper is the best ever, at least from a technical ability standpoint. Musically, there are some old timers I would put up there with him (Little Walter for example). But no one can play like Popper.

Some of the most fun I had playing was with some of the old timers. Guys from down south who ended up on the blues circuit in the Midwest. Toledo was kind of a mecca for Delta blues back in the 1950s-60's. Big Jack Reynolds was my favorite. Played with him on several occasions. He was bigger than life, but always offered suggestions. There's even a documentary about him:

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src=" " width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Very very cool. Are you from Toledo?

Billy Joel is an auto veto. I can't stand songs written on piano nor can I stand pop rock.. There's not one song he made that's tolerable to me. Elton is an icon. As far as writing on piano, he's one of the few that can and make it interesting.. Rush sucks unless you're 13 years old. Ayn Rand reading MFs. Queen is one of the greatest rock bands ever, but they've been so overplayed (same ten songs) that they've become boring.

I gave you a like because you said Rush sucks ..

Carry on ..

Lol... Well I grew up playing piano.... Still do... And some of his piano based songs were some of the first pop songs I learned as a kid as we had a book of them at home my dad had lying around. New York State of Mind, Vienna, Scenes from Italian Restaurant, Stranger, She's Got A Way, Just the Way You Are were some I got pretty good at. Some probably even got me laid. Piano Man is pretty easy but boring outside of the intro.

Moved onto more jazz and blues piano with more improv as got older but still play some pop stuff here and there.

I don't care at all for much of his SUPER poppy stuff he started putting out in 80s.

Well I grew up playing piano.... Still do.
I'm sorry.... Please don't write songs. TIA

So did I, first instrument at 8 years old. I've hated it since.

The thing that made me hate it even more were the guys that I ran into that called themselves pianists .. only "vocalists" are more annoying. There's an exception to that .

Can you do this? If you can do this we can still be friends..

Reactions: twenty02

The thing that made me hate it even more were the guys that I ran into that called themselves pianists .. only "vocalists" are more annoying. There's an exception to that .

Definitely not that well. But boogie woogie is probably my favorite thing to play. My kids also love it, about the only thing they request, lol. Usually turns into a dance party.

I would never attempt to actually write a song. I'm not that good. Been trying to learn more modern classical pop... Like game of thrones themes, etc.. Shit is tough.

Reactions: T.M.P.

At least boogie woogie is doable for someone like me. I mentioned jazz but really is more blues that I play. A few moderate jazz pieces

Jazz piano is fkn hard and something I always appreciate listing to when good.

I used to love to go to the Jazz Fables nights @Bears Place at IU and listen to David Baker, Luke Gillespie etc... I took a couple jazz appreciation type classes taught by Gillespie, who is an amazing jazz pianist. All those guys were so good. Gillespie is still at IU as far as I know.

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src=" " width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
How'd you start? And get so good? Would you play by yourself a lot or did you join a band early?

How'd you start? And get so good? Would you play by yourself a lot or did you join a band early?
Believe it or not, an old version of this book (see below) that came with a cassette tape and a harmonica, plus lots of practice on my own playing along with records (tapes). Played a lot in my car. I also had some piano and guitar lessons when I was kid - especially piano. But then got drunk one night and asked to play with a local band in a packed bar, in front of a ton of people (including friends of mine). Always was completely improv but I knew what blues accompaniment and solos were supposed to sound like.

Most stressful was playing at my own wedding. Talk about pressure.

Country and Blues Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless https://a.co/d/9QkCTU5

Believe it or not, an old version of this book (see below) that came with a cassette tape and a harmonica, plus lots of practice on my own playing along with records (tapes). I had some piano and guitar lessons when I was kid - especially piano. But then got drunk one night and asked to play with a local band in a packed bar , in front of a tone of people (including friends of mine). Always was completely improv but I knew what blues accompaniment and solos were supposed to sound like.

Most stressful was playing at my own wedding. Talk about pressure.

Country and Blues Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless https://a.co/d/9QkCTU5
And all this talk has me itching to play again.

Piano Man Sucks? You must not understand my generation. This song is about his trials of fighting for his rights and what he endured to be free of oppression.

• Love
Reactions: Noodle
Piano Man Sucks? You must not understand my generation. This song is about his trials of fighting for his rights and what he endured to be free of oppression.
Piano Man is an incredible song. And not just because of the harp (though I just did play along - found an old beat up harmonica in a retired briefcase. A very old Hohner Special 20 harp, key of C).

Last edited:
Reactions: BradStevens
I've never had that problem with him. I was a big Yes fan way back when, haven't listened as much in the past decade or so. I do still listen to Wakeman a lot. His Journey to the Center of the Earth is one of my favorite albums.
My problem with ELP is they put out a lot of self-indulgent crap.

Cool as heck! Good memories.

Alto for me. Band director had a decent vintage curved soprano he picked up in some garage sale refurbished, and had me play it some in jazz band.
My solos always sucked on soprano because my ear and fingers were trained to alto E-flat, not the soprano B-flat. I'd try to use the scales but I'd hit so many sour notes during my solos when on soprano... LOL. My only good solos were where I played my ass off ahead of time trying stuff to a tape recorded backing track, and then all the different riffs would come together in concert. I was a good player, all state in concert band two years, but I was no natural that's for sure!

Picked up an Ibanez, in my late 50s learning electric guitar after playing nothing for 30 years. It's fun! I'm only a few months in.
Man, I've tried playing guitar on and off for a long time and I just can't get it. I guess I just don't want to practice that much.

We had a jazz band in HS and it was a blast. We didn't do too many solos, though. What got Herb interested in me was the regular first chair in the community band was out and I did the solo part on Porgy and Bess. I was using a borrowed sax and I was struggling. But I guess my weird timing - because I was struggling - made it sound good. I don't know - I was shocked when people told me how good it was. lol

I used to play my friend's dad's new tenor sax just playing around and it was so smooth. I was able to play ad hoc pretty easily, but I couldn't afford one of those back then. I saw Los Lobos with their Bari sax and it was awesome - made me wish I'd have played that, too.

I really should have been a band teacher, but knew the pay sucked. I was tired of being poor.

Reactions: OpenWheels
What app does the Bear play on?

friends-ross.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT