ADVERTISEMENT

BIG to announce 24 schedule model tomorrow

UCLA next year while picking up USC in 2025. 2024 is the year IU needs to do really well and build up recruiting from the record. I have to wonder how much it will change recruit, if at all.

Hardly a pushover schedule, but not a Hoosier screwjob either.

Five conference home games in 2024, a chance to maybe steal a couple on the road and, as jt indicated above, no Buckeyes or Wolverines. 2024 could be the year for IU to make some noise.
2024 is the most favorable schedule we've had in some time, at least on paper.

2025 is definitely a return to form for our fortunes, though.

I looked at the schedule and can’t figure it out.
Do we have one 16 team division?
I thought we would go to four 4 team divisions to create more first place races.
The way I understand it is a 16 team conference and for the championship #1 and #2 will play for the title.

Reactions: brianiu
The way I understand it is a 16 team conference and for the championship #1 and #2 will play for the title.
I like how they did it with protecting certain games and rotating the rest. Scheduling isn’t easy.

I imagine it’ll stay this way until they add 3 more west coast teams and someone else and can make 4 pods of 5. Play your 4 and figure out some way to cycle through the rest, maybe switch to 8 games in conference and play one from each other pod. Or maybe do that plus the last week, pods 1 & 2 have a face off and pods 3 & 4 do the same and where the winners of the top games meet in the conference championship. The one thing they’re going to be unable to do is the whole “if you stay 4 years you’ll get to go to every Big 10 stadium” idea.

Reactions: vesuvius13
That is stupid. So instead of 4 races with 1-3 teams in each division playing for a division title we have 2-3 teams playing for a final game.
But what could we expect from the legends and leaders group.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
That is stupid. So instead of 4 races with 1-3 teams in each division playing for a division title we have 2-3 teams playing for a final game.
It makes perfect sense from the broadcast perspective. Now you can start to focus on the two teams that will be playing each other in the latter half of the season, and you can set up a "revenge" match if OSU and Michigan are the top 2 at the end, so you get two huge broadcast draws for that matchup instead of one. The also rans can finish the season jockeying for bowl position, BTN gets to focus the bright lights on the top two teams and you increase the potential of sending 2 high seed teams to the Championship.

It makes perfect sense from the broadcast perspective. Now you can start to focus on the two teams that will be playing each other in the latter half of the season, and you can set up a "revenge" match if OSU and Michigan are the top 2 at the end, so you get two huge broadcast draws for that matchup instead of one. The also rans can finish the season jockeying for bowl position, BTN gets to focus the bright lights on the top two teams and you increase the potential of sending 2 high seed teams to the Championship.
Good post.

And I’m not sure they’d hand out “pod titles” with 4 teams in them. And it wouldn’t be much good unless the pods champs got into some mini playoff for the conference championship, it would still just be the two best record teams.

Looking at every B1G teams 2024 and '25 schedule... they all seem fair and equitable to me... Even IU's. Much better than the last format....

It's the B1G... it ain't supposed to be easy.

Why would you want your best teams playing an extra game? That makes no sense at all. 12 regular season games. Then you want 4 teams to play a “mini tournament”? So that’s 13 and 14 for two who advance. Then 2-3 teams play in a 12 team playoff. The winner of the B1G would receive a first rd bye but the loser would then fall into the field so add another game. Up to 15. Semi final 16 and final would make 17 games, potentially.

The B1G with this model is hoping to get 3-4 teams in the playoff every year. You’d absolutely be punishing the B1G championship game loser with your idea. I’d rather finish 3rd and rest for the playoff than lose in the championship game.

I like it. I'm glad they got away from the divisions. Everyone was tired of like the 4th best big ten playing in the championship game. Even if they tried to make the divisions more even, there are always teams that have better and below their average seasons. Just let the best teams play. Only thing I don't like about that, is if it's a rematch. But that could happen in any format. And I like all other aspects, as well, trying to balance everything as much as they can. I sure wouldn't want to try to make it even for all 16 teams - travel, playing each other an equal amount of times, protecting rivalry games......a lot of logistics to figure out.

I say it is about time to break up the divisions and deal with what comes after. Now teams like IU won't be locked into playing the top teams every year while the rest play the second division. There will very tough seasons with teams that are high in the polls but not every year.

• Love
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
As they should and just like literally every other school. Bama plays Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee, and Chattanooga this year. Georgia plays Ball State, Tennessee-Martin, and UAB.
Wait, Alabama's playing two FCS teams? Only one can count for bowl games.

I mean, it's unlikely they'll need help in that regard, being Alabama,
but it would be funny if this comes back to bite them somehow.

Did anyone dream that in 2024 IU wouldn't have OSU or Michigan on the schedule? IU needs to have a great 2024 year despite it being a tough schedule as IU needs to get back on track with recruiting.

Wait, Alabama's playing two FCS teams? Only one can count for bowl games.

I mean, it's unlikely they'll need help in that regard, being Alabama,
but it would be funny if this comes back to bite them somehow.

Alabama has Middle Tennessee (FBS), Chattanooga (FCS), Texas (FBS) and South Florida (FBS) as non-conference opponents this year. So, they only have 1 FCS.
Georgia has UT-Martin (FCS), Ball State (FBS), UAB (FBS) and Georgia Tech (FBS) as on-cons.

SEC plays an 8 game conference schedule and 4 non-conference games.
Then, take a school, like UK: they play Eastern Kentucky, Ball State, Akron and Louisville.

Most of the SEC has a very similar strategy as schools in the Big Ten. They play one power 5 team, but then pad their schedule with lower level schools. The difference is they get three of them whereas the Big 10 only gets 2 easier out of conference opponents. It essentially nets them an extra win if it goes as planned.

I say it is about time to break up the divisions and deal with what comes after. Now teams like IU won't be locked into playing the top teams every year while the rest play the second division. There will very tough seasons with teams that are high in the polls but not every year.
Truer words never spoken about IUFB. Now for Coach Allen's future the rubber really hits the road.

Off topic to some extent but IUFB could sure benefit from a Huber like event in the North 1/3 of the state every year too. Would be satisfying to loyal fans attending, good for fundraising in the NIL environment + hopefully IU could discover/develop/steal an in state talent. Gotta be 3-4 dozen venues suitable. 3 cents.

Alabama has Middle Tennessee (FBS), Chattanooga (FCS), Texas (FBS) and South Florida (FBS) as non-conference opponents this year. So, they only have 1 FCS.
Georgia has UT-Martin (FCS), Ball State (FBS), UAB (FBS) and Georgia Tech (FBS) as on-cons.

Then, take a school, like UK: they play Eastern Kentucky, Ball State, Akron and Louisville.

Most of the SEC has a very similar strategy as schools in the Big Ten. They play one power 5 team, but then pad their schedule with lower level schools. The difference is they get three of them whereas the Big 10 only gets 2 easier out of conference opponents. It essentially nets them an extra win if it goes as planned.

also gets them an extra home game every other yr. (which IU would turn into an away or neutral site game),

Off topic to some extent but IUFB could sure benefit from a Huber like event in the North 1/3 of the state every year too. Would be satisfying to loyal fans attending, good for fundraising in the NIL environment + hopefully IU could discover/develop/steal an in state talent. Gotta be 3-4 dozen venues suitable. 3 cents.
I agree that IU needs to have a Huber event in Northern Indiana that has more recruits and better recruits. Staying in southern Indiana doesn't really improve IU's recruiting.

Ah. The original post listed Austin Peay for Bama, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT