ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten incoming freshman article

Colvin is 17

Yep, he graduated high school at 17. I remember when lots of outstanding Indiana high school kids were held back a year or more to give them a better chance to have dominating high school careers. Most people who proudly call themselves “Coach” recognize such things.

Dumb… He is 1 of 4 17 year olds on the team, and he’s the only one sitting at end of the bench. Next excuse?

I remember when lots of outstanding Indiana high school kids were held back a year or more to give them a better chance to have dominating high school careers.
Name a dozen outstanding Indiana high school kids who were held back to give them a better chance of having dominating high school careers. My curiosity is piqued.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Colvin is 17

Yep, he graduated high school at 17. I remember when lots of outstanding Indiana high school kids were held back a year or more to give them a better chance to have dominating high school careers. Most people who proudly call themselves “Coach” recognize such things.
Which brings me back to my original point: Colvin is on the team due to his affiliation with the chairman of the U19 basketball team. Same goes with Furst when he made it two years ago. Nothing more, nothing less. He doesn't make the team and probably doesn't get an invite out to Colorado if he was committed to anybody other than Painter.

Which brings me back to my original point: Colvin is on the team due to his affiliation with the chairman of the U19 basketball team. Same goes with Furst when he made it two years ago. Nothing more, nothing less. He doesn't make the team and probably doesn't get an invite out to Colorado if he was committed to anybody other than Painter.
Yet he's not playing bad in his limited minutes. Looks like he belongs.

Which shows you are much more an absolutely partisan fan who would be the first one to scream whenever you detected the potential of an IU disadvantage. I know of a huge number of advantages IU basketball has always enjoyed. It is what it is and no big deal. Bob Knight. Who has been a friend since he arrived at IU earned the right to enjoy many advantages. It comes with longevity, success, peer respect, contributions to the game, etc. as much as you might hate it, Matt Painter has earned the respect of the state’s high school coaches, his fellow college coaches and his record, his dedication to the game, his championships and his personal conduct has not only virtually guaranteed he will be the Dean of Big Ten basketball coaches and also a lock for the HOF!

Yet he's not playing bad in his limited minutes. Looks like he belongs.
He's a token end of the bench player that Painter can sell in future recruiting. It isn't coincidence that Purdue has been the most represented university in the FIBA world tournament since Painter was named head of the selection committee. "He's not playing bad in his limited minutes" against the likes of Lebanon and Madagascar is something 100+ US-born players could say as well if afforded the opportunity. Again, nothing more, nothing less, we all know why he's there.

Last edited:
Don't need affirmation. I was just here discussing the big ten and people took it off the rails.
no you are here defending your program....you responded to everyone's post since my last one in that manner. Defending Purdue, CMP and recruits. The very definition of affirmation.

Last I checked, GBI is still up and running. And there is a plethora of IU posts there. Some days they talk more IU ball on GBI than we do here.

Which shows you are much more an absolutely partisan fan who would be the first one to scream whenever you detected the potential of an IU disadvantage. I know of a huge number of advantages IU basketball has always enjoyed. It is what it is and no big deal. Bob Knight. Who has been a friend since he arrived at IU earned the right to enjoy many advantages. It comes with longevity, success, peer respect, contributions to the game, etc. as much as you might hate it, Matt Painter has earned the respect of the state’s high school coaches, his fellow college coaches and his record, his dedication to the game, his championships and his personal conduct has not only virtually guaranteed he will be the Dean of Big Ten basketball coaches and also a lock for the HOF!

Hahaha Don’t confuse “respect” with not intimidated. He’s today’s version of Dale Brown. No one fears CMP. We need to can that loser and hire “shrews”. If you think otherwise, you are part of the PU problem. Our fan bases sensitive and defensive mind set is the problem. That’s why the term “PU Mentality” is real. Grow a pair and face the reality of Painter.

Hahaha Don’t confuse “respect” with not intimidated. He’s today’s version of Dale Brown. No one fears CMP. We need to can that loser and hire “shrews”. If you think otherwise, you are part of the PU problem. Our fan bases sensitive and defensive mind set is the problem. That’s why the term “PU Mentality” is real. Grow a pair and face the reality of Painter.
I was worried about losing until I looked down the floor and saw Dale Brown. Then I knew we had a chance.

-RMK

I was worried about losing until I looked down the floor and saw Dale Brown. Then I knew we had a chance.

-RMK
And Dale Brown can actually say he's coached in multiple Final Fours. As for Painter.....well nevermind.

"Dean of Big Ten Basketball Coaches" has me hootin and hollerin. Embarrassing to put Painter in the same breath with the likes of Knight, Izzo, etc

Any reports on vertical jump heights or bench press reps? This thread makes me nauseous. (I know, I keep clicking on it, dumb me)

Any reports on vertical jump heights or bench press reps? This thread makes me nauseous. (I know, I keep clicking on it, dumb me)
last I heard Justin Smith had increased his vertical to 78 inches. Still can't shoot or rebound to save his life, but it does lead to some impressive posts on snapchat.

And apparently Hanner can now touch the gutters on a 4 story building.

obviously TIC....all I care about is making shots, FTs, and playing D and rebounding like you have some balls. and brains.

Name a dozen outstanding Indiana high school kids who were held back to give them a better chance of having dominating high school careers. My curiosity is piqued.

Really? It was quite commonplace and often discussed along with the private vs parochial issue and the player recruitment issue. There was a workd before the internet!

Really? It was quite commonplace and often discussed along with the private vs parochial issue and the player recruitment issue. There was a workd before the internet!
Usually those kids did well early but everyone caught up. It’s a sad strategy imho. We had 3 kids in my class that did that. One moved away because they didn’t like the coach. Guess what? None of them even went to college.

Reactions: kkott
no you are here defending your program....you responded to everyone's post since my last one in that manner. Defending Purdue, CMP and recruits. The very definition of affirmation.

Last I checked, GBI is still up and running. And there is a plethora of IU posts there. Some days they talk more IU ball on GBI than we do here.
I see one post about iu and it's about how you landed a good longsnapper and that makes sense because he can be showcased. Show me the others that are active. I didn't take this post ary, then I left it, and others tagged me in it days later. Can't handle the boiler in my name

Takes a lot of talent to play on a top 5 team. Maybe you would know that?

So name a dozen if it was so commonplace for outstanding players to be held back.

So name a dozen if it was so commonplace for outstanding players to be held back.
I can name one, but won't. Played with him in grade school . . . he was a guard, and I was a forward. Then he was held back a year. His parents decided that. He ended up being 6'9". He played college ball.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
You have ZERO clue what an elite basketball program looks like. I was a student during the 74-75 and 75-76 seasons and was fresh out of grad school during the 81 title run.

Purdue's greatest achievements the last 50 years is beating an Archie Miller lead IU team 9 times in a row and beating 11th seed Penn State for a Big Ten Tournament title. Purdue has received much more national attention for their disastrous tournament results than any kind of on-court achievement. Sucks I know.

Reactions: indiana ed
Or you might have the schedule fall just right.

It might be effective to say that it takes a lot of talent to play on a top 5 team, at the end of the season with the team playing its best ball at the end of the season.

We've seen too many flame-outs to be fooled.

You have ZERO clue what an elite basketball program looks like. I was a student during the 74-75 and 75-76 seasons and was fresh out of grad school during the 81 title run.

Purdue's greatest achievements the last 50 years is beating an Archie Miller lead IU team 9 times in a row and beating 11th seed Penn State for a Big Ten Tournament title. Purdue has received much more national attention for their disastrous tournament results than any kind of on-court achievement. Sucks I know.
I miss the days of Rick Mount and Billy Keller, and Gene Keady. Those were some worthy opponents.

I can name one, but won't. Played with him in grade school . . . he was a guard, and I was a forward. Then he was held back a year. His parents decided that. He ended up being 6'9". He played college ball.
The guy is talking out of his ass. Sure, parents have held kids back (Richie Mount anyone?), but it wasn't "commonplace" for "outstanding HS players" to be held back so they "could have dominating HS careers".

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
The guy is talking out of his ass. Sure, parents have held kids back (Richie Mount anyone?), but it wasn't "commonplace" for "outstanding HS players" to be held back so they "could have dominating HS careers".
The guy I'm thinnking of was held back because he was a stick compared to his old man and his brothers. If I had to guess, he was the only one held back.

I think that has been pretty common practice, since... forever? Lots of sports helicopter parents hold their kids back. Heck, even non-athletic parents do it, hoping it gives them an edge by being more mature in academics or any pursuit. We probably knew of a dozen or more families who held one of their kids back (and a few dozen more that we didn't! I think it's way more common than you do). I'm guessing Furst was held back. Isn't he only a junior and already 21? If you're 19 before you start college, you were probably held back, for some reason. My 18th birthday was my first day of college classes.

I think that has been pretty common practice, since... forever? Lots of sports helicopter parents hold their kids back. Heck, even non-athletic parents do it, hoping it gives them an edge by being more mature in academics or any pursuit. We probably knew of a dozen or more families who held one of their kids back (and a few dozen more that we didn't! I think it's way more common than you do). I'm guessing Furst was held back. Isn't he only a junior and already 21? If you're 19 before you start college, you were probably held back, for some reason. My 18th birthday was my first day of college classes.
My son is 6 months older than most kids. He needed that extra year for various reasons. We held him back in kindergarten. We knew going in he wasn’t ready but yeah lots of kids got held back for athletic reasons. Hoping their Johnny would dominate.

All the ones I knew were held back way before high school.
Yeah, it's usually holding them back before K or 1st grade. I think it's super common. Heck, I knew kids when I was in school. I think oftentimes the kids don't even really know why and are often told, "they changed the cutoff back then, or where we lived then". But, usually if it's the Dad's influence, it's for sports!

It still is/was common practice but occurred at younger ages, typically done around 1st grade/kindergarten level. We started one of our boys a year late for kindergarten as he was born in late May and missed the June 1st cutoff by a couple days. Went from being potentially the youngest in his class to one of the oldest. Didn't experience much of an athletic advantage growing up as he really didn't hit his growth spurt until freshman year of high school.

Reactions: kkott
All the ones I knew were held back way before high school.
The one I knew about was too. 5th/6th grade. He was a guard on my 6th grade team, and grew to be 6'9". Anthony Davis like . . . not sure whether he'd have been 6'9", but if he were, he'd have been a stick if he hadn't been held back.

My son is 6 months older than most kids. He needed that extra year for various reasons. We held him back in kindergarten. We knew going in he wasn’t ready but yeah lots of kids got held back for athletic reasons. Hoping their Johnny would dominate.
My bday was late (August 27 if you wanted to pick something up!) and I only had 1 classmate who was younger than me. I had lots of classmates who were nearly a year older!

It still is/was common practice but occurred at younger ages, typically done around 1st grade/kindergarten level. We started one of our boys a year late for kindergarten as he was born in late May and missed the June 1st cutoff by a couple days. Went from being potentially the youngest in his class to one of the oldest. Didn't experience much of an athletic advantage growing up as he really didn't hit his growth spurt until freshman year of high school.
Same deal. Son was born in June.

he really didn't hit his growth spurt until freshman year of high school
I didn't hit mine until almost my freshman year of college. My drivers license when I was a junior said 5'10" and 150 (5'8" 125 my soph year). By my freshman year of college I was 6'3". Too bad too, because had it happened by my freshman year of HS I think I could have helped our bball team. I still might have made it, but I knew I would have to work my ass off and still wasn't gonna play. I had a PF game and PG body.

Last edited:
My Johnny was a September birth, so we didn't even consider it. He was 6'1", 230# as a senior rugby player. The team mantra was "just don't make him mad".

• Haha
My Johnny was a September birth, so we didn't even consider it. He was 6'1", 230# as a senior rugby player. The team mantra was "just don't make him mad".
My son is going to be really big. He just turned 12. 5’7 185 with a 10.5 shoe already. He hit a kid last year and I thought oh my gawd…that kid ain’t getting up. He’s not really fat either. He’s just a large kid.

My bday was late (August 27 if you wanted to pick something up!) and I only had 1 classmate who was younger than me. I had lots of classmates who were nearly a year older!
The state has moved the cutoff date around multiple times over the years. I know when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's it was always September 1 (Labor Day) because that was the week school always started. I know when our kids were growing up in the 80's/90's it was moved to June 1st and I believe in the most recent years they have shifted it once again to either Aug 1st or September 1st.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT