ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten incoming freshman article

Shuski

All-Big Ten
Aug 28, 2001
It looks like MSU overall made themselves better. Indiana got the number one ranked player in the conference. Ohio State and Maryland both did well. Everybody but MSU restructuring.

MSU is the early summer favorite although it should be Purdue and they might win the Big Ten but I don't like them.

MSU, PU

Indiana, Ohio State, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa

Rutgers, Michigan,

Penn State, Northwestern, Nebraska, Minnesota

Just my thoughts today.

Reactions: duvallj
It looks like MSU overall made themselves better. Indiana got the number one ranked player in the conference. Ohio State and Maryland both did well. Everybody but MSU restructuring.

MSU is the early summer favorite although it should be Purdue and they might win the Big Ten but I don't like them.

MSU, PU

Rutgers, Michigan,

Just my thoughts today.
I'd move Nebraska up, Michigan down. I'd go osu over iu probably as well, though, they are super close.

MSU, PU

Rutgers, Michigan,

Just my thoughts today.
Not a puKE fan at all, but hard to bet against a team that was #1 last season and returns everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsmitty08

MSU, PU

Rutgers, Michigan,

Just my thoughts today.
Purdue will jump out to the early lead and MSU always starts slow. I like Purdue to win, however I like IU to extend their win streak against them. Woody has the athletes and knows how to exploit their weaknesses.

And their guards who were commonly blamed for the losses are now sophomores. PU could be very good.
Purdue will be very good. I think both Smith and Loyer are limited though. As much as guys that will probably push for some All Big 10 mentions can be limited.

But a very, very clear game plan emerged later in the year on how to beat Purdue. IU exploited that, so did others. And that plan will be used in all 20 conference games, I’m sure. They’ll have more conf losses this year than last, I’ll predict. But still may win the league.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Purdue will be very good. I think both Smith and Loyer are limited though. As much as guys that will probably push for some All Big 10 mentions can be limited.

But a very, very clear game plan emerged later in the year on how to beat Purdue. IU exploited that, so did others. And that plan will be used in all 20 conference games, I’m sure. They’ll have more conf losses this year than last, I’ll predict. But still may win the league.
My one argument would be Purdue is way more athletic than last year. Granted, didn't take much.... and they are going to run some different stuff offensively it seems.

In his case, for sure. It's all he does is carry on... and on... and on...
I hate when someone replys to a comment about their favorite team on a message board that has a thread discussing the big ten as a whole. An extremely accurate and valid point no less. Have another cup of coffee....

I hate when someone replys to a comment about their favorite team on a message board that has a thread discussing the big ten as a whole. An extremely accurate and valid point no less. Have another cup of coffee....
Yeah, yeah, I know: you're just here to talk B10 hoops... but what that amounts to for you is endlessly defending PU, not so much conversation. And, defending them against what? The entire thread is very complimentary to PU, and even IUN says in his post that they may still win the conference. Quite fair, valid and honest comments... and yet you still feel the need to run to their defense. I guess it's because the losses don't bother you and you forget so quickly, but the ending to your season wasn't great... again.

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah, I know: you're just hear to talk B10 hoops... but what that amounts to is endlessly defending PU, not so much conversation. And, defending them against what? The entire thread is very complimentary to PU, and even IUN says in his post that they may still win the conference. Quite fair, valid and honest comments... and yet you still feel the need to run to their defense. I guess it's because the losses don't bother you and you forget so quickly, but the ending to your season wasn't great... again.
Read my post and you will see my addition to the discussion. Lol I was simply making a comment about Purdue being more athletic next year. Not hard. Never said people weren't complimentary. Didn't feel the need to defend, so I didn't. I agree. Fair, valid and honest. Why I didn't defend, but built on. Didn't run to their defense at all. Idk what last season losses have to do with my comment. The only person acting defensive in this thread is you. Have another coffee.

My one argument would be Purdue is way more athletic than last year. Granted, didn't take much.... and they are going to run some different stuff offensively it seems.
Asking because I honestly don't know. Why are they way more athletic? Colvin? Not sure any of their newcomers will play enough to have a big impact on how athletic the teams is?

Asking because I honestly don't know. Why are they way more athletic? Colvin? Not sure any of their newcomers will play enough to have a big impact on how athletic the teams is?
Problem for Painter is what he does with Colvin. Colvin looks like a starter right now.

Colvin, Heide, that new guard, and I was half-way throwing in Kaufman becauae he has lost some weight and worked on athleticism. Smith and Loyer are Smith and Loyer. They will just be stronger.

Reactions: dayhr11
They're not, they're returning their entire team basically, from a team that had a good season, lost Newman and added Colvin. That doesn't equate to "way more athletic". Their starters and first 7 are likley to be the same. I was going to point that out, but all that will do is give BoilerN a reason to "talk more B10 hoops" (aka: defend PU).

Read my post and you will see my addition to the discussion. Lol I was simply making a comment about Purdue being more athletic next year. Not hard. Never said people weren't complimentary. Didn't feel the need to defend, so I didn't. I agree. Fair, valid and honest. Why I didn't defend, but built on. Didn't run to their defense at all. Idk what last season losses have to do with my comment. The only person acting defensive in this thread is you. Have another coffee.
I read it: "My one argument" indicates disagreement, not "building on". I thought for a long time you were a good poster and did try and have discussion. Lately? One trick pony.

They're not, they're returning their entire team basically, from a team that had a good season, lost Newman and added Colvin. That doesn't equate to "way more athletic". Their starters and first 7 are likley to be the same. I was going to point that out, but all that will do is give BoilerN a reason to "talk more B10 hoops" (aka: defend PU).
They added Colvin, the PG from southern Illinois, and Heide, whose coming off a redshirt year to get healthy. That's 3 pretty good athletes that didn't play last year. Could arguing the best 3 athletes on the team I think.

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
They added Colvin, the PG from southern Illinois, and Heide, whose coming off a redshirt year to get healthy. That's 3 pretty good athletes that didn't play last year. Could arguing the best 3 athletes on the team I think.
And lost one of your best athletes in Newman... and returned your starters and most contributors. Where will these guys play? Is that Painter's new wrinkle: he's gonna play more than 5 at a time? Big 10 refs are bad and Painter got them to ignore Big Zach last year, but, I think they'll likely notice. That's your issue: you are returning everyone and it's unlikely any of your new guys will get many minutes (doubt any average double digits). So, if you're point is the guys who don't play are way more athletic, well then, maybe you do have a point.

Last edited:
But its unlikely any of them will crack the top 7ish in the rotation...it might make their practices more "athletic", but the games won't change much unless those guys take a larger than expected chunk of minutes from Smith, Loyer, Gillis, Furst, TKR, etc...

I think a common "false hope" by college sports fans is that players will change who they are, and how they play, in their college offseasons. That doesn't happen any more. These kids have trained so much coming in to college, and played so much basketball, that completely changing their bodies, and their games, it just isn't possible. Improve on some of their deficiencies skill wise, sure. Gain a little bit of muscle, sure. Make incremental improvements, for sure. Edey is a great example of his. So was TJD.

But Smith isn't going to become strong or fast enough to guard Xavier Johnson, or Tyson Walker, or Chuckie Hepburn. Loyer isn't either. Edey is still going to be incredibly slow when trying to guard pick and rolls. Gillis and Furst aren't going to become playmakers with the ball in their hands.

Painter has to change their style and philosophies. And if the guys you mentioned are the 3 best athletes, and have any basketball skill, he's going to have to force playing them early on. Doubt he does any of these things in the end. And even if he does try it, they'll revert back to dumping it down to Edey, and guarding how they guard, because its reliable and overall effective. They'll contend for the B10 championship because of it, but their season will end sooner than hoped for, like it always has.

They will say that because of Colvin, granted Painter's refusal to ever get out in transition severely negates Colvin's greatest strength. And even if they wanted too, they couldn't because of Edey. They will play in the half court 95% of the time and run everything through Edey, it's what CMP does.

They're very high on Heide because he jumps really high and does electric dunks in warmups, mind you he redshirted last year while a guy like Ethan Morton played 20+ mpg. He's been hurt for the better part of the last 2 seasons dating back to high school and has only played in a handful of competitive since.

But its unlikely any of them will crack the top 7ish in the rotation...it might make their practices more "athletic", but the games won't change much unless those guys take a larger than expected chunk of minutes from Smith, Loyer, Gillis, Furst, TKR, etc...

I think a common "false hope" by college sports fans is that players will change who they are, and how they play, in their college offseasons. That doesn't happen any more. These kids have trained so much coming in to college, and played so much basketball, that completely changing their bodies, and their games, it just isn't possible. Improve on some of their deficiencies skill wise, sure. Gain a little bit of muscle, sure. Make incremental improvements, for sure. Edey is a great example of his. So was TJD.

But Smith isn't going to become strong or fast enough to guard Xavier Johnson, or Tyson Walker, or Chuckie Hepburn. Loyer isn't either. Edey is still going to be incredibly slow when trying to guard pick and rolls. Gillis and Furst aren't going to become playmakers with the ball in their hands.

Painter has to change their style and philosophies. And if the guys you mentioned are the 3 best athletes, and have any basketball skill, he's going to have to force playing them early on. Doubt he does any of these things in the end. And even if he does try it, they'll revert back to dumping it down to Edey, and guarding how they guard, because its reliable and overall effective. They'll contend for the B10 championship because of it, but their season will end sooner than hoped for, like it always has.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I do think Painter isn't tied to the top 7. In fact, I know he plays the best players. If Heide or Colvin deserve to start, he will start them. He doesn't care how experienced or what age they are. His words, not mine. The real question is, how good can they be? Time will tell. I'm high on Heide personally.

I'm curious to see on your last paragraph. Painter has acknowledged a need for style change and more athleticism with implementation as soon as this next year. Don't think he needs to change a ton, just push the pace more would be a big step. Curious to see what that looks like and if he reverts. He needs to put edey in situations to expand his game imo.

And lost one of your best athletes in Newman... and returned your starters and most contributors. Where will these guys play? Is that Painters new wrinkle: he's gonna play more than 5 at a time? Big 10 refs are bad and Painter got them to ignore Big Zach last year, but, I think they'll likely notice. That's your issue: you are returning everyone and it's unlikely any of your new guys will get many minutes (doubt any average double digits). So, if you're point is the guys who don't play are way more athletic, well then, maybe you do have a point.
Newman was so fire and ice. When he was good, he was good. When he was bad, he was bad. Hope he can put it together this year.

If the new guys are good, they will play.

Didn't Smith guard Walker and Hepburn last year, and I believe Purdue swept both!

Purdue will be good obviously.

Just like almost every year recently, the top 3 teams will probably battle for the title based on who has the most favorable league schedule. Purdues league slate was ASS last year, and they ran it. Not taking anything away from them.

IU has an easier road on paper based on a first look for 23-24. I haven’t thought about it too much though. Iowa, MSU, NW, IL, MI, Rutgers all only once.

Didn't Smith guard Walker and Hepburn last year, and I believe Purdue swept both!
Not sure who Smith guarded in those games. I do know Walker went off for like 30 in one of their games, and it almost cost Purdue the game.

And I know that Purdue limped down the stretch of the B10 regular season, and then, well you know...in the NCAAs. And most attribute the issues on Smith/Loyers issues on both sides of the ball, and Edey's issues guarding pick and rolls...and how teams started exploiting that more.

If you think Smith can guard elite level PGs...so be it. I hope Painter does too!

You come to this board so often you should be smarter. But you're still dumber than a bag of hair.

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
My one argument would be mid-majors, including FDU. FDU was way more athletic than PU. Where is Edey going to be drafted tomorrow night? PU basically has the same team as last season, only you swapped Colvin for Newman. You have endless excuses for Mid-Major Matt.

My one argument would be mid-majors, including FDU. FDU was way more athletic than PU. Where is Edey going to be drafted tomorrow night? PU basically has the same team as last season, only you swapped Colvin for Newman. You have endless excuses for Mid-Major Matt.
You named 33% of the new players, brought up a game that has nothing to do with next season, and brought up Edey because he chose Purdue NIL over being drafted to continue to develop. Yes, Edey would have been drafted, probably 40-50. Slightly on topic.

Color me skeptical about Colvin. He may very well turn out to be the second coming of Jaden Ivey, and he is certainly athletic. But if he is what people say he is, why has he not been more impactful for his high school team? They had a losing record his four years there. At a 2A school, playing mostly 2A competition. Something doesn't add up. Great players, even if they're surrounded by complete stiffs, should be able to elevate a small school against small school competition. And, should certainly put up more points than he did.

You named 33% of the new players, brought up a game that has nothing to do with next season, and brought up Edey because he chose Purdue NIL over being drafted to continue to develop. Yes, Edey would have been drafted, probably 40-50. Slightly on topic.
Yawn. Wake me up when PU is more athletic than FDU. PU constantly loses to mid-majors, and last year was the worst loss in NCAAT history. You don't withdraw from the draft if you're good enough to get drafted, especially when your stock will never be higher.

You swapped Colvin for Newman: big whoop. Same team. Get ready for Lucy to yank the football away once again: everybody else who is not you can see it coming a mile away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT