ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

Mr O. I'm having a Minnesota special this evening. The Aurochs Horn aged on rhubarb from Olvalde Farm and Brewing Co out of Rollingstone Minnesota.
053f01ea089ffaeac2e89ca7108f71c9_640x640.jpg
You're a rock star, Phish. Truly.

I went to the local World of Beers last night, and they had just tapped Evil Twin's Molotov Cocktail. Almost 15% ABV! The barkeep tried to talk me in to a glass, but I didn't want to chance killing a few people on my drive home. I did get a sample though -- wasn't really impressed. Seemed like an overly sweet version of Hopslam.

I went to the local World of Beers last night, and they had just tapped Evil Twin's Molotov Cocktail. Almost 15% ABV! The barkeep tried to talk me in to a glass, but I didn't want to chance killing a few people on my drive home. I did get a sample though -- wasn't really impressed. Seemed like an overly sweet version of Hopslam.
Molotov Cocktail is an aptly named beer. Evil Twin's Molotov Lite is better, IMHO - the "regular" Molotov was a booze bomb.

Enjoying a Central Waters Rye Barrel Chocolate Porter while watching Lebowski on Amazon Prime. Tasty beverage, as CW knows barrel aged beers, man.

I still can't believe Woo peed on the Dude's rug, man.

Yesterday was the most miserable day of 2016 so far. DLD needs more tents and for people to learn to handle their beer.

Yesterday was the most miserable day of 2016 so far. DLD needs more tents and for people to learn to handle their beer.
That sucks, Coach. Sorry to hear that.

Mrs. O and I hosted 10 friends (all people she works with) at Mankato Brewery yesterday after I bid for and won a tour plus 2 beers each and a raft of appetizers at a Hospice fundraiser last year.

Here's a birdseye view of the brewery .....

8kz7lhD.jpg

mlDXZ0h.jpg

..... and a shot of the bar/taproom .....

X8c4Cp9.jpg

..... as well as the appetizers .....

T3V1Ttq.jpg

..... but we were there for the beer (okay, I was there for the beer), so on to the beverages.

First up, BoomChickaPop, a saison made with popcorn. This will be a great lawnmower beer.

xQvdXpL.jpg

Next up, Crooked Rook Nitro, an American porter. Best beer of the day. By a lot.

4FhINsm.jpg

Finally, Kato Black Label, a nice schwarzbier.

4SO2QzA.jpg

We had a ball - and when I got home, I'd received an awesome beer package from SuperHoosier. I'll enjoy the first of those beverages today. Beer it forward, beer nerds!

It was epic in its miserableness. I didn't think it possible to have worse weather than last year, but yesterday it was. Still had a decent time, but was pretty glad to get home and dry off.

That sucks, Coach. Sorry to hear that.

Mrs. O and I hosted 10 friends (all people she works with) at Mankato Brewery yesterday after I bid for and won a tour plus 2 beers each and a raft of appetizers at a Hospice fundraiser last year.

Here's a birdseye view of the brewery .....

8kz7lhD.jpg

mlDXZ0h.jpg

..... and a shot of the bar/taproom .....

X8c4Cp9.jpg

..... as well as the appetizers .....

T3V1Ttq.jpg

..... but we were there for the beer (okay, I was there for the beer), so on to the beverages.

First up, BoomChickaPop, a saison made with popcorn. This will be a great lawnmower beer.

xQvdXpL.jpg

Next up, Crooked Rook Nitro, an American porter. Best beer of the day. By a lot.

4FhINsm.jpg

Finally, Kato Black Label, a nice schwarzbier.

4SO2QzA.jpg

We had a ball - and when I got home, I'd received an awesome beer package from SuperHoosier. I'll enjoy the first of those beverages today. Beer it forward, beer nerds!
Sounds like a great night. I've only had a really old IPA from Mankato, so I obviously can't judge them on that. You make it look and sound pretty damn good. You didn't ask for Jeff by any chance?

Sounds like a great night. I've only had a really old IPA from Mankato, so I obviously can't judge them on that. You make it look and sound pretty damn good. You didn't ask for Jeff by any chance?
I did not. Don gave our tour, and I also met the brewmaster (Jacob) and Curt was the PR guy. Good folks. Curt said they brewed around 4,000 barrels last year, and they're getting distro in the Twin Cities, so they're growing, to the point that they're adding capacity.

The popcorn saison was a good refresher, the nitro porter was excellent, and their lagers are solid, as is their amber. They also have a mint stout that is good. Their best IPA was Duly Noted, IMHO. I had it uber fresh when I had it, and it was very good. The others (Haymaker and Mad Butcher) are middling. Certainly drinkable, but not something I'd seek.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
e281369684bc9b6a732c1023a7357285_640x640.jpg

#crispy
had to lecture the woman when i got home for this whole situation
I'm not an expert, but the beverage vessel on the left looks unlike any BCBS I've ever seen - or had, including 3 bottles from this year's batch (plus one still in the beer fridge).

I had this tonight, courtesy of SuperHoosier:

4L22CnB.jpg

I'm about to go into my "Dad's Gone Wild" routine.

You have all been warned.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
it is just a 16 oz Founders Snifter

after 20 mins or she was liquid gold.

Havining an Odd Sides Nihilist BADIPA

I think/hope I have one left for your next box ....

Reactions: ovaltine
Chicago area beer Nerds, get your hands on some Pipeworks Imperial End of Days, released this week. I haven't tried it yet, but it's a "Mexican" style stout with chillies, chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon. A friend of mine is supposed to get me a bottle. Supposed to be similar to Abraxas and Xocoveza. I absolutely love this style and most of PDubs stuff is great.

IEOD.jpeg

So last Friday we took a tour of Pipeworks. They gave us fresh cans of Ninja vs Unicorn to drink while talking with them about the Brewery. My buddy Jeff hosts a podcast (craftbeercast.com) based in Charlotte so he got us in when he reached out to them once he knew he was coming this weekend. At any rate, after we finished out NvU cans, we were able to sample some Jones Dog straight out of a barrel. It has been aging for about 5 months. Mike, our guide for the day, pulled a nail out of the front and let us sample that delicious goodness straight from the source. So good. We hit the Revolution Brewpub after and enjoyed many mushroom fries so it was a great day!

SH or Mr. O.

Did you get a chance to snag any of this years 120? figured as much but seeing as I owe both of you a box I figured I'd check.

O yours will be full tomorrow and I'm shipping Friday.

SH I haven't figured yours out yet as a thank you for the BA Behemoth.

SH or Mr. O.

Did you get a chance to snag any of this years 120? figured as much but seeing as I owe both of you a box I figured I'd check.

I was able to get my hands on two bottles, actually. Haven't tried it yet, though. DLD did a number on my will to drink. Lol. Gonna get back on that horse this weekend though. Also dealing with a torn ACL from weekly basketball last Tuesday. Surgery forthcoming.

SH or Mr. O.

Hold off shipping until next week. Mrs. O and I are leaving on an Alaskan cruise Sunday and will be gone all week.

I did not get any 120 this year. Send it on (if you want)!

Toppling Goliath taproom in Decorah, Mornin' Delight on the left, Scorpius Morchella (a big juicy DIPA) on the right. Both are traveshamockery good. Also purchased a case of Sosus bombers. That bodes well for my beer nerd ninjas.

FvBXVij.jpg
You the man, O. Awesome.

Toppling Goliath Sosus, single-hopped DIPA featuring the Mosaic hop .....

eZdDG2.jpg

..... and it's uber fresh. Me likey. Lots.

iO1yIb.jpg
TG is fantastic. Have you gotten King Sue yet? Surly just got released in Omaha this week. No more driving over to Iowa to get it. Have tried most of their standard stuff but finally got to try Todd this week. Great stuff. Missed out on the darkness tappings here though, will need to wait until the fall to try that.

TG is fantastic. Have you gotten King Sue yet? Surly just got released in Omaha this week. No more driving over to Iowa to get it. Have tried most of their standard stuff but finally got to try Todd this week. Great stuff. Missed out on the darkness tappings here though, will need to wait until the fall to try that.
I have not had King Sue yet.

That makes me sad.

09d38a99e2c719adf430f3bb368a7e0f_640x640.jpg

Mr Ovaltine this Mosaic DIPA is BOMB. Thanks man. TG rarely does anything wrong but this one is fuking delicious.

I was hoping I had made my way onto the O-Beer Ninja list. Lol. Nothing on my doorstep. Sad face. Lol
Mr O and I have been trading since 2012. MN and IN are far enough away that we can send local for local much of the time and neither of us has tried most of what we send.

Your box is much more difficult b/c of your proximity but I have a good idea of what I can send.

09d38a99e2c719adf430f3bb368a7e0f_640x640.jpg

Mr Ovaltine this Mosaic DIPA is BOMB. Thanks man. TG rarely does anything wrong but this one is fuking delicious.

I enjoyed one of mine tonight as well. O is the Man. Sosusis phenomenal, probably the best single hopped Mosaic beverage that I've had.

I'm having a Central Waters Cassian Sunset right now. I had one on draft the other day in the Wisconsin Dells. Absolutely tremendous stout aged in Bourbon barrels with chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon. Four packs just hit my town today. Get it if you can.

PTown you and I are far enough away that we could do some trades even local for local. I don't know if you trade much but O can vouch for me if you need a trade reference. I know you don't chase much but I'd be glad to a local for local with you soon......

Last edited:
PTown you and I are far enough away that we could do some trades even local for local. I don't know if you much but O can vouch for me if you need a trade reference. I know you don't chase much but I'd be glad to a local for local with you soon......
No reference necessary. I know you're good people, and you and I actually traded once a couple years ago when you were first getting into it. I sent you a bunch of California stuff before it was available in Indiana. I'm not sure what I could send you now that you can't get, but let me know if you have something in mind.

No reference necessary. I know you're good people, and you and I actually traded once a couple years ago when you were first getting into it. I sent you a bunch of California stuff before it was available in Indiana. I'm not sure what I could send you now that you can't get, but let me know if you have something in mind.
I remember that now that you say it. I still don't get Revolution or Half Acre or Pipeworks without having to work for it or travel. I'm certain I have things you can't get as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT