ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

I remember that now that you say it. I still don't get Revolution or Half Acre or Pipeworks without having to work for it or travel. I'm certain I have things you can't get as well.
Cool. I get HA here now, but not PDubs or Revolution. I'll see what I can find in Chicago this weekend though.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
Hay O and other beer experts. Question. Opinion requested.

Some of the best beers in the world come from brewers that specialize in a very narrow band of the full brewing spectrum. For example, some of the most respected beers out there right now are Belgian Saisons that come from brewers who do, basically, only Saisons.

But in America, we seem to expect our brewers to offer a very wide selection of styles. And we celebrate them when they do it well.

Do you think this need to offer a wide selection holds back some of our best brewers, or is the ability to do multiple styles well a mark in their favor?

Mr O and I have been trading since 2012. MN and IN are far enough away that we can send local for local much of the time and neither of us has tried most of what we send.

Your box is much more difficult b/c of your proximity but I have a good idea of what I can send.

I was making reference to O's post when he got the SOSUS. I was hoping with our recent trades that I had become a regular with him. Ha.

I can send you Pipeworks and Revolution stuff. Btw.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
Hey, not that this has ever happened to me (yet) but has anybody here ever had any of their beer packages intercepted by the post office or received damaged beer before?

Hey, not that this has ever happened to me (yet) but has anybody here ever had any of their beer packages intercepted by the post office or received damaged beer before?

A buddy who went to DLD with me this year sent a bunch of stuff before he came up from Charlotte. Two cans of Hop Drop N Roll from NoDa were cut open somehow. The box was soaked and the package reeked of beer. It was still on my porch when I got home from work. It could have happened when they tossed it on my porch, but not sure. Fortunately all of the good bottles were intact.

A buddy who went to DLD with me this year sent a bunch of stuff before he came up from Charlotte. Two cans of Hop Drop N Roll from NoDa were cut open somehow. The box was soaked and the package reeked of beer. It was still on my porch when I got home from work. It could have happened when they tossed it on my porch, but not sure. Fortunately all of the good bottles were intact.

Cool, thanks.

Always paranoid. Sent a BUNCH of Funky Buddha stuff to my niece's husband yesterday and damn well hoping it arrives intact.

Cool, thanks.

Always paranoid. Sent a BUNCH of Funky Buddha stuff to my niece's husband yesterday and damn well hoping it arrives intact.

Every time I send something I worry about this. I just packaged up my buddy's allotment of DL to ship back to him in NC. I'm scared as hell I didn't package good enough. Lol. Ask Phish about his BA Behemoth. I gave that bottle the royal treatment. Lol

Hay O and other beer experts. Question. Opinion requested.

Some of the best beers in the world come from brewers that specialize in a very narrow band of the full brewing spectrum. For example, some of the most respected beers out there right now are Belgian Saisons that come from brewers who do, basically, only Saisons.

But in America, we seem to expect our brewers to offer a very wide selection of styles. And we celebrate them when they do it well.

Do you think this need to offer a wide selection holds back some of our best brewers, or is the ability to do multiple styles well a mark in their favor?
I think our best brewers are influencing European brewers, especially the Brits, many of whom are now brewing American styles, especially IPA's. Additionally, SN partnered with a German brewery last year to brew their Oktoberfest, and they're doing so again this year, Surly has brewed with a couple of European brewers (including their magnificent Todd The Axe Man), Stone is opening a brewery in Berlin - the list goes on.

When breweries are small, brewing a lot of different styles can cause capacity issues - which is what led to Lagunitas releasing Sucks years ago.

Every time I send something I worry about this. I just packaged up my buddy's allotment of DL to ship back to him in NC. I'm scared as hell I didn't package good enough. Lol. Ask Phish about his BA Behemoth. I gave that bottle the royal treatment. Lol
Which is why I like shipping Surly and TG cans. Pretty hard to break. I don't ship many bombers, unless it's a special occasion, and I've been talking to Ptown and Phish about Sosus for a couple of years. You're getting there, young ninja.

Yeah, a few years ago I sent a package to Foosier. The postoffice at the Indy airport, I believe, kept trying to contact him to tell him to come claim his package. He was afraid that both of us were going to get sent to Gitmo so he never went to get it. Nobody from the postal service ever contacted me about it, and he never heard anything else about it. By the way, I did tell him I'd take the fall if he went to get the package and claimed he had no idea it was beer.

I have a friend who lived in Virginia a couple years ago. He was trying to ship me a box of stuff from Devil's Backbone and some other local stuff via Fed Ex I think. The guy at his shop opened up the package after my friend left and told him to come back to get his box since shipping beer isn't allowed. He did go back to get it, and delivered it to my house a few weeks later when he was in town for Thanksgiving.

I think our best brewers are influencing European brewers, especially the Brits, many of whom are now brewing American styles, especially IPA's. Additionally, SN partnered with a German brewery last year to brew their Oktoberfest, and they're doing so again this year, Surly has brewed with a couple of European brewers (including their magnificent Todd The Axe Man), Stone is opening a brewery in Berlin - the list goes on.

When breweries are small, brewing a lot of different styles can cause capacity issues - which is what led to Lagunitas releasing Sucks years ago.
Yep, and on top of that I think most breweries feel that they have to have base beers that sell to the masses. Beers like Founders All Day IPA, SNPA, Boulevard Wheat, etc. Not to say some of these aren't very good or even classics in the case of SN, but they're where the breweries make a lot of money to pay for the styles they really want to do, like Boulevard's Smokestack Series and SN's Beer Camp series, and Founders Backstage Series and KBS.

I read a while back that soon after Founders released All Day IPA that it made up around 50% of all of their sales. So breweries don't necessarily have to brew all styles, but some do because it allows them to play around.

Reactions: ovaltine
Which is why I like shipping Surly and TG cans. Pretty hard to break. I don't ship many bombers, unless it's a special occasion, and I've been talking to Ptown and Phish about Sosus for a couple of years. You're getting there, young ninja.

It's worth ordering some stuff from Inside The Cellar just to get the packing materials they use. They ship their beer in hard plastic layers that fit perfectly in the box. You can put 3 beers on each level (either cans or bombers) and then the next level fits right on top to hold the bottles/cans in place. 3 more beers then put in the next level. Repeat. My friend in Minnesota and I have now shipped beers back and forth with the packaging 5 or 6 times without any issue. It's pretty fantastic.

The beers from Inside the Cellar are pricey but I just ordered some cheaper stuff that I hadn't had. Being able to reuse the packaging over and over made the purchase a great value.

IUforLife16

It's worth ordering some stuff from Inside The Cellar just to get the packing materials they use. They ship their beer in hard plastic layers that fit perfectly in the box. You can put 3 beers on each level (either cans or bombers) and then the next level fits right on top to hold the bottles/cans in place. 3 more beers then put in the next level. Repeat. My friend in Minnesota and I have now shipped beers back and forth with the packaging 5 or 6 times without any issue. It's pretty fantastic.

The beers from Inside the Cellar are pricey but I just ordered some cheaper stuff that I hadn't had. Being able to reuse the packaging over and over made the purchase a great value.

IUforLife16
france44 and craftshack are the two I normally browse and purchase from.

The only rule of shipping beer that is a necessity is 2:1 packing material to vessel of liquid. The rest of the nonsense about adding a tic tac container or over taping the outer box shell is just that ......nonsense.

New one for me tonight. Very tasty, and one I'd continue buying whenever possible.

But also a new can style for me.....the top of the can comes all the way off....are other breweries using this?
0515160013a.jpg

0515160013.jpg

New one for me tonight. Very tasty, and one I'd continue buying whenever possible.

But also a new can style for me.....the top of the can comes all the way off....are other breweries using this?
0515160013a.jpg

0515160013.jpg
I had that one on draft a couple days ago. Urban Chestnut make some pretty good stuff. Nothing mind blowing but very solid. I liked their StLIPA better but that one is good too.

Yo PhishMatt. I did go to Chicago yesterday but I was with my kid and my dad so wasn't really successful on the beer front. I did hit the Binny's in the South Loop on the way out of town but I was in kind of a rush so didn't get more than myself some of the standard Revolution stuff. Unfortunately nothing you would need me to ship.

Otherwise it was a really successful day. My oldest's 7th birthday is today so taking him to the Cubs game yesterday was kind of the warm up. He got to meet Ryne Sandberg and get his autograph before the game which was fantastic.The game was tremendous too, of course.

No, I've not seen that. That is wild, wacky stuff - it's a shipping container AND a distribution vessel.

Yeah very different. When I first looked at the lid I wasn't sure what to do with it. But it drinks very nice straight from the can, similar to drinking from a glass. I know with a lot of heavily hopped beers, the brewer wants you to drink directly from the can, to not lose any aroma. Maybe that's what they are going for.

I'm sure most of you have experienced this, but I'm enjoying the bat shiznit out of it for the first time this evening.

ANWUF9l.jpg

I think the base beer is great, but this is a couple of notches better, IMHO. And I also picked up the Espresso version - double bonus!

I also picked up the Central Waters Cassian Sunset, Ptown. Can't wait to try that.

I love you guys.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
I'm sure most of you have experienced this, but I'm enjoying the bat shiznit out of it for the first time this evening.

ANWUF9l.jpg

I think the base beer is great, but this is a couple of notches better, IMHO. And I also picked up the Espresso version - double bonus!

I also picked up the Central Waters Cassian Sunset, Ptown. Can't wait to try that.

I love you guys.
Well, Plymouth, IN is having a craft beer festival to raise money for a park for children, including those with special needs. It's Saturday, June 25th and it's called The Summer Sippin Craft Beer Festival. Here's the brewery list so far...
UPDATED BREWERY LIST:

Sun King
Three Floyds
Evil Czech
Bells
Daredevil
South Bend Brew Werks
Black Dragon Meadery
Greenflash
GREENBUSH
Route 2 Brews
Fountain Square
Flat 12
Veteran Brewing
Magic Hat
Burnt City
New Holland
Tenth and Blake
New Belgium
North Coast Brewing
Boston Beer
Diageo
Lagunitas
Ballast Point
Boulevard
Schlafly

And they're still adding more. They've done a pretty kick ass job gathering vendors for the festival and it's a great cause.

Apparently California is far enough out where we don't get seasonal beers when they're actually in season, but this Founders Azacca IPA is pretty dam good. Very smooth with just enough hops to remind you what you're drinking. I saw on their website today that this was made from January-March, so it could be a bit off, but I'm still enjoying it.

So I may hit one of my goto beer bars for an all draft festival tomorrow. It's right down the road, but we're having a birthday party at my place in the evening for my 7 year old . Screw it. Having to entertain will keep me pretty sober.

Here's the link with the beer list down a ways:

I was there last night and had the Alesmith Hammerhead Speedway Stout. Pretty ridiculously good. Also grabbed a Half Acre Galactic Double Daisy Cutter and some Bell's Hopsolution today. As O says it's a great time to be a beer nerd.

So I may hit one of my goto beer bars for an all draft festival tomorrow. It's right down the road, but we're having a birthday party at my place in the evening for my 7 year old . Screw it. Having to entertain will keep me pretty sober.

Here's the link with the beer list down a ways:

I was there last night and had the Alesmith Hammerhead Speedway Stout. Pretty ridiculously good. Also grabbed a Half Acre Galactic Double Daisy Cutter and some Bell's Hopsolution today. As O says it's a great time to be a beer nerd.
There are so many great beverages readily available it's staggering. My jams tonight .....

No words needed.

jApDbvN.jpg

#2, an Imperial Coffee Porter, Cool Beans from Third Street Brewhouse. That is not a typo. If you don't like coffee, you'll love this. If you do like coffee, you'll commit felonies to acquire it. And Ranger says, "Hello!" AOTF Beer Thread posters.

8XSLRAX.jpg

Reactions: PtownHoosier
There are so many great beverages readily available it's staggering. My jams tonight .....

No words needed.

jApDbvN.jpg

#2, an Imperial Coffee Porter, Cool Beans from Third Street Brewhouse. That is not a typo. If you don't like coffee, you'll love this. If you do like coffee, you'll commit felonies to acquire it. And Ranger says, "Hello!" AOTF Beer Thread posters.

8XSLRAX.jpg
I have one more Sosus left. Such a great beverage. Thanks again. I had Bells Hopsolution tonight. I believe it features Mosaic, but has several other hops as well. Like Sosus it's an 8% IIPA. It's very good, but not in the same league as Sosus. And you'd have loved that Hammerhead Speedway. The coffee in it was unreal.

Yo, @PtownHoosier. This is magnificent, IMHO. Central Waters is the real deal.

duhgbmR.jpg
Yep. It's tremendous. I have a few left.

Yesterday at the beer fest I had CW's Peruvian Morning. I only had it one other time, and that one was infected and was a drain pour. This was not. It's basically their version of KBS, though at 8% it's a bit smaller. It was really damn good too, but I prefer the Cassian by quite a bit.

I had some good sours and IPAs yesterday too, but I thought the highlight was Boulevard's Rye on Rye on Rye. Holy crap. At 14% it's a monster, but it's smooth and really complex. Great stuff.

Im going to sleep good on the Ram Buttface,Redemption Salvation, the guest 1516 I think from Redemption, a couple shiner-bocks, and seemed to be a growler of Blind Owls Honey BooBoo...I love visiting the Indy brew scene. Bloody Marys in 6 hours for the Indy Carb Day ive not been to.

I've had a half dozen or so beers from Modern Times (though not that one). They're pretty awesome.
after all the BCBS "infected" talk and their head brewer releasing a statement earlier this week I have to crack open a 15 BCBS to see what all the jive was about. It was a 4.75/5 near perfection. #notinfected.

Not sure if I ever told you but I'm saving my 2015 Bourbon County Rare for the day Tom Crean leaves IU.

after all the BCBS "infected" talk and their head brewer releasing a statement earlier this week I have to crack open a 15 BCBS to see what all the jive was about. It was a 4.75/5 near perfection. #notinfected.

Not sure if I ever told you but I'm saving my 2015 Bourbon County Rare for the day Tom Crean leaves IU.
I have a regular 2015 BCBS I'm holding for ..... something.

On your recommendation, I bought a Mega Black House online tonight. Also purchased a Drakes Hopocalypse Blood Orange Imperial IPA (Red Label) and a Ballast Point Sea Monster. The interwebz are AWESOME.

@mr. O

I have about 16 or 18 2015 regular BCBS left. let's hope this infection doesn't really affect many bottles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT