ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

In all seriousness, if I lived near a Binny's, I'd have to get a 2nd job. Picked up some cool stuff (Lizard King, Lag Bitter Oats, GL Blackout, CS Chocolate Sombrero, 6-Pt Sensi, a couple of Maine beers).

Truth about Binny's. I never escape for under $100.00. I need to get that Lizard King.

Fresh Lizard King is as good an APA as they make.

CF I have three 14' BCBCS left. If only you were in the IC, if there was an IC, we could possibly make a deal.

Reactions: ovaltine
I have not but Wicked Weed rarely makes a bad beverage and Pernicious is rated very well.
A friend said it was one of the best IPAs he'd ever had. My oldest sister lives in Asheville so I may have to bring some back next time I go see her.

Any of you guys had Pernicious from Wicked Weed in Asheville?
Yes. I've had Freak of Nature, their IIPA too. My brother lives in Raleigh so he brings me NC stuff when we get together.

I've enjoyed everything I've had from WW but the IPAs are merely good and not worth going out of your way for in my opinion. Pernicious is on par with a lot of West Coast IPAs like Stone and Alesmith.

Freak has been compared to Pliny. Again, it's very good but it's no Pliny. My brother had them back to back and said there was no comparison.

Reactions: hoosierdug
Yes. I've had Freak of Nature, their IIPA too. My brother lives in Raleigh so he brings me NC stuff when we get together.

I've enjoyed everything I've had from WW but the IPAs are merely good and not worth going out of your way for in my opinion. Pernicious is on par with a lot of West Coast IPAs like Stone and Alesmith.

Freak has been compared to Pliny. Again, it's very good but it's no Pliny. My brother had them back to back and said there was no comparison.
Thanks, Ptown. You have any recommendations from Western Carolina then? There are a ton of microbreweries in that region now. Well, I guess I just described nearly every region in the continental US now. lol

Thanks, Ptown. You have any recommendations from Western Carolina then? There are a ton of microbreweries in that region now. Well, I guess I just described nearly every region in the continental US now. lol
I asked my brother. He has been to Wicked Weed twice and he's a big fan. Other than that he also recommended Green Man and High Wire in Asheville. He raved about Sierra Nevada's brewery there, and said you can get some good small batch stuff that doesn't hit the shelves. Same with Oskar Blues.

He also recommended Appalachian Mountain Brewing in Boone and Olde Hickory in Hickory, which is about 1.5 hours east of Asheville. I've had their Event Horizon, a very good imperial stout. He also recommended their Death by Hops IIPA.

I asked my brother. He has been to Wicked Weed twice and he's a big fan. Other than that he also recommended Green Man and High Wire in Asheville. He raved about Sierra Nevada's brewery there, and said you can get some good small batch stuff that doesn't hit the shelves. Same with Oskar Blues.

He also recommended Appalachian Mountain Brewing in Boone and Olde Hickory in Hickory, which is about 1.5 hours east of Asheville. I've had their Event Horizon, a very good imperial stout. He also recommended their Death by Hops IIPA.

I have an Olde Hickory Omega Point that I've been sitting on since my trip to NC in July. Planning to bottle share a lot of Barleywines at our Super Bowl party this year so that'll get cracked open then. My good friend lives just outside of Charlotte so he sends me stuff from the area. I have an Event Horizon and another one that I cannot think of right now. If German beers are your thing, Olde Mecklenburg has some good stuff as well. Obviously, this isn't the area he was asking about though. BirdSong in Charlotte has some good stuff as well. NoDa too.

Meh, I stopped at a Binny's in Chicago last night and picked up a Ten Ninety De Ogen.

Now THAT is a whale.

:D

In all seriousness, if I lived near a Binny's, I'd have to get a 2nd job. Picked up some cool stuff (Lizard King, Lag Bitter Oats, GL Blackout, CS Chocolate Sombrero, 6-Pt Sensi, a couple of Maine beers).

I hate pumpkin and pumpkin beers but I enjoyed De Ogen. The pumpkin isn't too pronounced and it's not overly spiced. The saison take on it was a winner for me. I liked Jolly Pumpkin's version too. Ten Ninety has been available here for a while now. It's even showing up on draft around town, which is really cool. I had a chat with Jamie about it the other day. He may even hook me up with some glassware, but I told him that wasn't necessary.

If you're still in Chicago and can still go beer shopping I'd highly recommend getting your hands on any Marz Community Brewing stuff you can. They're pretty new but they're doing some really quality, interesting stuff. I'd have never tried Jungle Boogie based on the description. It's a 5.4% wheat ale brewed with tea. The Tribune's beer writer Josh Noel was raving about it though so I gave it a shot. It's fantastic, as is the blueberry version. I've had 7 beers from them and they've all been very good to great.

Get some Off Color too. Apex Predator is one of the best saisons I've had.

Last edited:
I have an Olde Hickory Omega Point that I've been sitting on since my trip to NC in July. Planning to bottle share a lot of Barleywines at our Super Bowl party this year so that'll get cracked open then. My good friend lives just outside of Charlotte so he sends me stuff from the area. I have an Event Horizon and another one that I cannot think of right now. If German beers are your thing, Olde Mecklenburg has some good stuff as well. Obviously, this isn't the area he was asking about though. BirdSong in Charlotte has some good stuff as well. NoDa too.
Brian is a big fan of NoDa. Hop Drop N Roll is really solid. He said the owner is a super cool dude too.

I hate pumpkin and pumpkin beers but I enjoyed De Ogen. The pumpkin isn't too pronounced and it's not overly spiced. The saison take on it was a winner for me. I liked Jolly Pumpkin's version too. Ten Ninety has been available here for a while now. It's even showing up on draft around town, which is really cool. I had a chat with Jamie about it the other day. He may even hook me up with some glassware, but I told him that wasn't necessary.

If you're still in Chicago and can still go beer shopping I'd highly recommend getting your hands on any Marz Community Brewing stuff you can. They're pretty new but they're doing some really quality, interesting stuff. I'd have never tried Jungle Boogie based on the description. It's a 5.4% wheat ale brewed with tea. The Tribune's beer writer Josh Noel was raving about it though so I gave it a shot. It's fantastic, as is the blueberry version. I've had 7 beers from them and they've all been very good to great.

Get some Off Color too. Apex Predator is one of the best saisons I've had.
Nah, I had to get back home yesterday, but thanks for the heads up on the Marz stuff.

I'm not a big pumpkin beer fan, but gotta show Hobes some love, and I've really enjoyed everything I've had from Ten Ninety.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
Nah, I had to get back home yesterday, but thanks for the heads up on the Marz stuff.

I'm not a big pumpkin beer fan, but gotta show Hobes some love, and I've really enjoyed everything I've had from Ten Ninety.
I may be going to New Glarus next weekend for lunch. I'll keep you and Hoops in mind if they have anything interesting available.

Big fan of their Screen IIPA. A buddy picked up a 4 pack for me last week when he was up there.
Agreed on Scream. I bought a ton of it when I was in Door County a couple years ago. It was the first NG beer I was ever really impressed by, though all of their stuff is very well made.

Agreed on Scream. I bought a ton of it when I was in Door County a couple years ago. It was the first NG beer I was ever really impressed by, though all of their stuff is very well made.
Their lambics are what they do best - while I'm not a big fan of them myself, my better half loves them. So, as I strive to keep her happy, I buy them when I see them.

Their lambics are what they do best - while I'm not a big fan of them myself, my better half loves them. So, as I strive to keep her happy, I buy them when I see them.
I bought some of their fruit beer before. I wanted to sample them because as you said, that's what they're known for. They were well made and I'm sure exactly what they were going for. I wouldn't call them lambics or even sours though. After I tasted each, three different ones I think, I gave the rest of them to my sister in law. She loved them. Again, well made. Just not my preferred style like you.

Tonight I'm icing down a 2014 Marshal Zhukov from Cigar City and potentially the 2015 Bourbon County Regal Rye.

Tomorrow I'm going to be down on Jefferson at 2:30 promoting Bernie Sanders. So if you see a guy with a big beard and a grateful dead hat over by the Starbucks. That will be me.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
Tonight I'm icing down a 2014 Marshal Zhukov from Cigar City and potentially the 2015 Bourbon County Regal Rye.

Tomorrow I'm going to be down on Jefferson at 2:30 promoting Bernie Sanders. So if you see a guy with a big beard and a grateful dead hat over by the Starbucks. That will be me.
We had a tasting with some heavy hitters, including some whales, and the Marshall Zhukov was the winner overall. That's an excellent stout.

Honestly, I think Gluten Freak is the best of Wicked Weed's regular IPAs that they offer. They made a passionfruit DIPA that was also really solid but GF is my favorite. Also, if you've got family in Asheville and they haven't been to Burial, I highly recommend going (and it's within a 5-8 min walk of WW, prob 1 min from Green Man). They've prob got the most consistently good beer in the city and have a ton of variety. Wicked Weeds got prob the best overall stuff, but they do so many different things some are bound to miss.

To the poster above who commented about Lizard King, how much of a drop-off do you think there is with it? Bc I recently had a semi-older one (via trade with my brother) and it was practically a bad session ipa. Almost a drain pour, it was that bad.

If anybody still sees it around, I strongly recommend grabbing Bells 30th anniversary stout. Probably the best non-BA stout I've had in years.

Honestly, I think Gluten Freak is the best of Wicked Weed's regular IPAs that they offer. They made a passionfruit DIPA that was also really solid but GF is my favorite. Also, if you've got family in Asheville and they haven't been to Burial, I highly recommend going (and it's within a 5-8 min walk of WW, prob 1 min from Green Man). They've prob got the most consistently good beer in the city and have a ton of variety. Wicked Weeds got prob the best overall stuff, but they do so many different things some are bound to miss.

To the poster above who commented about Lizard King, how much of a drop-off do you think there is with it? Bc I recently had a semi-older one (via trade with my brother) and it was practically a bad session ipa. Almost a drain pour, it was that bad.

If anybody still sees it around, I strongly recommend grabbing Bells 30th anniversary stout. Probably the best non-BA stout I've had in years.
I think the drop-off factor is likely very high with Lizard King. When I tried it, it was not a good beer. Thought it was too sharp, and had none of the flavors that others had mentioned. Didn't check the date, but it was given to me, so it was a gift horse. I would make sure its really really fresh.

I bought some of their fruit beer before. I wanted to sample them because as you said, that's what they're known for. They were well made and I'm sure exactly what they were going for. I wouldn't call them lambics or even sours though. After I tasted each, three different ones I think, I gave the rest of them to my sister in law. She loved them. Again, well made. Just not my preferred style like you.
If you look up "fruit bomb" in the dictionary, there's a picture of NG Serendipity. As you and Hoops say, very well made, but I prefer my beer to taste like ..... beer.

Picked up a couple bombers from 18th Street, Foreman Coffee (Coffee Porter) and For Rent (Citra Hopped Session Pale Ale). Really looking forward to the For Rent. Almost picked up a couple BOMB! from Prairie but at $10 for a 12oz bottle I couldn't do it.

What a day. Woke up at 6a and drove to StL for a Side Project release. My first SP and first time in StL. They sold the beers at Perennial and it was $20 per bottle/limit 2. Called Smooth and it's a nectarine farm ale. Good event and they know what they were doing. Arrived at 930, share until noon and out with bottles purchased by 12:25.

Quick stop at a local LQ where I got a Love Child 6 and a case of Bomb! at 6.99/per. Stupid IN markup.

Picked up a couple bombers from 18th Street, Foreman Coffee (Coffee Porter) and For Rent (Citra Hopped Session Pale Ale). Really looking forward to the For Rent. Almost picked up a couple BOMB! from Prairie but at $10 for a 12oz bottle I couldn't do it.

i hate to poop on your parade but Bomb! is worth every penny. Also if you like coffee beers Foreman Coffee is liquid gold. For Rent is a good beer but the aforementioned beers are excellent.

You are on the right path grasshopper. Are you a region rat?

i hate to poop on your parade but Bomb! is worth every penny. Also if you like coffee beers Foreman Coffee is liquid gold. For Rent is a good beer but the aforementioned beers are excellent.

I bought 6 BOMB!'s for $10 each. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. World-class beverage, IMHO.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
Finally got my hands on some Great Lakes Blackout Stout this week. Tasty beverage. Planning to cellar the last two bottles.....for now

Well I've passed up Bomb! twice now, maybe I'll pick up a bottle next time. Good to know both are solid.

Nope, I'm in Indy - Northside. Pretty sure I live in the same hood as UTFO.

No, you misunderstand me. Yes, no doubt the ZD is citra hopped; I'm saying that I'm not sure that Permanent Funeral is citra hopped.

3 Floyds brewed a beer called Quaanto, an obvious play on words with Quaaludes. It was Permanent Funeral on steroids - a triple IPA.

Flippin awesome.

But lethal.

Holy balls. I just got around to kegging this PF recipe. I only made a 2.5G half batch, just because it was so expensive I wanted to make sure it was good before going all-in. It's not good, it's great. I had to pour a half pint of it right away, before it was even carbed up...and even flat it was delicious. I'll give it another week or so to keg condition, but it's gonna be gone real quick.

I'm going to have to source some Citra in bulk to keep making this one (think I paid about $18 just in hops for this 2.5G), but definitely gonna do it again. I came up a little short on my efficiency and my version is "only" about 9.4%, rather than the 10.5% of the real deal. But it certainly seems really close flavor/color/aroma. And flat dangerous with how smooth it drinks, for the high ABV.

The version of the ZD clone I did was good, but a little off. Going to tweak that one and try again. It was popular enough though that all the holiday guests drained it entirely in a matter of about 10 days.

I still plan to send some out, though maybe not as soon as I hoped.

Last edited:
Bump bitches.

Supposedly we're going to start getting one of my favorite breweries, Half Acre, distributed here next week. Still no Revolution but life will be just a little bit more enjoyable.

I've been to Half Acre. Great group of folks that brew and serve there. My favorites on tap that day were Gone Away, Lead Feather and Vicious Pet. Obviously double daisy cutter is the shit. I scored on a BBA Bomb! today. Probably get to it very soon b/c as much as I love BOMB! the batch to batch difference is noticeable especially as it sits.

I've been to Half Acre. Great group of folks that brew and serve there. My favorites on tap that day were Gone Away, Lead Feather and Vicious Pet. Obviously double daisy cutter is the shit. I scored on a BBA Bomb! today. Probably get to it very soon b/c as much as I love BOMB! the batch to batch difference is noticeable especially as it sits.
Hmmm. I haven't had enough Bomb or Prairie to know but I'll take your word for it. I like Bomb, but I haven't been blown away by it. I've liked Abraxas and Xocoveza a lot more. My brother grabbed some Mexican Cake and I'm looking forward to trying that too. I really dig the spiced stouts. I even liked the Rogue Sriracha stout I finally had tonight. I'm tempted to mix some Ghost Face Killa with Breakfast Stout.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT