ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

Not sure what that means...
U-Jelly-5.jpg

Did I mention that two weeks ago my mom had surgery and when I left the hospital I stopped at a liquor store that had two 4 packs of Dogfish 120 on the clearance rack?

They were out of date..... #lulz

Reactions: SuperHoosier
Celebrating tonight with a couple of Stone Saisons. I love saisons.

This is definitely not a normal saison. A little heavy on the spice and a little light on the yeast. The clove flavor comes through a little too much. But it's still very tasty, the fruit underneath the spice is still noticeable, and the 6.0% ABV is just right for this level of flavor. I won't rank it up anywhere near the best saisons I've ever had, but I think the 82 rating on BA is a little too low. I'd put it more in the 86-88 range.

Bloomington folks - get to Lennie's and try the new Impulse IPA. It was tapped on Wednesday and I got to try it out yesterday before the game. Goes great with a thin crust pesto, hot Italian sausage, mushroom, artichoke heart and spinach pizza! Finishing off the leftovers as we speak!

I'm currently have an Uncle Jacobs Stout by Avery. It is 16.9% of coffee, boozy, hint of chocolate awesomeness. It is a 97 on BA.

Uncle-Jacob-72dpi1-130x475.png

Reactions: CF**
I'm currently have an Uncle Jacobs Stout by Avery. It is 16.9% of coffee, boozy, hint of chocolate awesomeness. It is a 97 on BA.

Uncle-Jacob-72dpi1-130x475.png
@ 16.9% abv you think its boozy? Ya think?

Hey - if you have an interest, New Oberpfalz just made another batch of the Imperial Rye that I sent you. Damn, that's a good beer.

I'm sipping an Abrasive courtesy of Ovaltine....

Bloomington folks - get to Lennie's and try the new Impulse IPA. It was tapped on Wednesday and I got to try it out yesterday before the game. Goes great with a thin crust pesto, hot Italian sausage, mushroom, artichoke heart and spinach pizza! Finishing off the leftovers as we speak!
Is it OK to take kids to Lennie's? I'm going to the McNeese St. game and taking my 6 year old who hasn't been to Bloomington yet.

Hey - if you have an interest, New Oberpfalz just made another batch of the Imperial Rye that I sent you. Damn, that's a good beer.

Boulevard Rye on Rye for me tonight. I needed a change from IPAs. It's pretty good, but not great. I'd still recommend it. Smooth enough for a 12% Ale, but not a lot of anything. You can't really go wrong with Boulevard's Smoke Stack Series though.

Boulevard Rye on Rye for me tonight. I needed a change from IPAs. It's pretty good, but not great. I'd still recommend it. Smooth enough for a 12% Ale, but not a lot of anything. You can't really go wrong with Boulevard's Smoke Stack Series though.
I know I've been promising a care package for a while now, but I'm putting one together for you, and will ship it out on Monday. Sorry, but there's going to be a fresh IPA (the Imperial Rye from New Oberpfalz that was just released yesterday), but I'll include something else you'll like, no worries.

Hoping to catch a job in Peoria soon - you never know.

Do any of you guys brew?

I'm doing a Zombie clone this weekend, first time I've tried the recipe. If it turns out ok, I'm going to try to up it to a Perm Funeral...which I believe is just an imperial ZD.

Do any of you guys brew?

I'm doing a Zombie clone this weekend, first time I've tried the recipe. If it turns out ok, I'm going to try to up it to a Perm Funeral...which I believe is just an imperial ZD.
Not sure about that; where did you hear that?

I've got two beer brewing kits in the basement that I received as gifts; they are unopened. I'm much better on the other side of the bar.

I know I've been promising a care package for a while now, but I'm putting one together for you, and will ship it out on Monday. Sorry, but there's going to be a fresh IPA (the Imperial Rye from New Oberpfalz that was just released yesterday), but I'll include something else you'll like, no worries.

Hoping to catch a job in Peoria soon - you never know.
No worries. You owe me nothing but I won't turn anything down. And yeah, based on what you've said about New Oberphalz I'm ecstatic to try their stuff..
You know IPAs are my preferred style as well as yours but ya gotta diversify every now and then.

No worries. You owe me nothing but I won't turn anything down. And yeah, based on what you've said about New Oberphalz I'm ecstatic to try their stuff..
You know IPAs are my preferred style as well as yours but ya gotta diversify every now and then.
Nah, I owe you plenty..Those Cubs tix you gifted me made memories; mayhaps the best Sunday my better half and I have spent in Chicago.

So - there's a box coming your way. Not sure what will be in there, but it will be solid.

Not sure about that; where did you hear that?

I've got two beer brewing kits in the basement that I received as gifts; they are unopened. I'm much better on the other side of the bar.

About the PF? From several brewing forums.

From my understanding, both are almost 100% citra. And not a lot of variation in the base grains. A lot of late addition hops, dry hops, and for getting the ABV up for the PF, a lot of dextrose.

About the PF? From several brewing forums.

From my understanding, both are almost 100% citra. And not a lot of variation in the base grains.
Mmmmk. I'm pretty sure that 3 Floyds uses pretty much the same malt bill on the majority of their IPAs. That's why they tend to have a similar flavor profile, and also why they are so consistent. And so damn good.

I'm willing to try your home brew; I'll tell you if it sucks.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
Want to hear my obsession level?

About 6 of us are leaving Thanksgiving night for Binnys in Lincoln Park. I'll be in that lot at 11:30 pm the night before the black friday release.

Reactions: CF** and ovaltine
Nah, I owe you plenty..Those Cubs tix you gifted me made memories; mayhaps the best Sunday my better half and I have spent in Chicago.

So - there's a box coming your way. Not sure what will be in there, but it will be solid.
Well, nothing but a thing but I'm glad you enjoyed that game so much. Let me know anytime you want tickets. I'm trying to talk my dad into doing the full package instead of nights and weekends. We probably won't change though.

About 6 of us are leaving Thanksgiving night for Binnys in Lincoln Park. I'll be in that lot at 11:30 pm the night before the black friday release.
Holy crap. You're insane, but that's great. Have a great time.

This was my beach beer today .....

eLAJxi.jpg

That's Aruba in the background. The setting made an already nice beer sublime. And yes, that's a plastic cup - ovaltine knows beach etiquette.

This was on the condo balcony before dinner tonight .....

ecvyHT.jpg

Very nice Grand Cru. Meanwhile, on Wednesday night, there was this .....

bohbBu.jpg

Westvleteren VIII, then .....

LQCARt.jpg

Westvleteren XII. That was a pretty good beer night for this beer nerd.

New Oberpfalz ROCKS.

Mmmmk. I'm pretty sure that 3 Floyds uses pretty much the same malt bill on the majority of their IPAs. That's why they tend to have a similar flavor profile, and also why they are so consistent. And so damn good.

I'm willing to try your home brew; I'll tell you if it sucks.

That's what l thought too....that PF was likely the very same base fermentables as ZD...but just amped up. Are you agreeing or no?

Anyway, I've got a ton of citra here, ready to go this weekend. I'll do the ZD, and be happy to send you and anyone else a bomber once it's ready. Probably will be about Christmas/New Year's

That's what l thought too....that PF was likely the very same base fermentables as ZD...but just amped up. Are you agreeing or no?

Anyway, I've got a ton of citra here, ready to go this weekend. I'll do the ZD, and be happy to send you and anyone else a bomber once it's ready. Probably will be about Christmas/New Year's
Not disagreeing - I just didn't think it was a citra hopped beer. But, I don't know that for sure; Floyds doesn't really say what hops they use, so its anyone's best guess, including your brewer's forums.

This was my beach beer today .....

eLAJxi.jpg

That's Aruba in the background. The setting made an already nice beer sublime. And yes, that's a plastic cup - ovaltine knows beach etiquette.

This was on the condo balcony before dinner tonight .....

ecvyHT.jpg

Very nice Grand Cru. Meanwhile, on Wednesday night, there was this .....

bohbBu.jpg

Westvleteren VIII, then .....

LQCARt.jpg

Westvleteren XII. That was a pretty good beer night for this beer nerd.

New Oberpfalz ROCKS.
That is awesome, O. I tried the Westy last Sunday at my monthly bottle share; the guy who brought the bottle to share is (obviously) generous, as he paid a shit ton to have a case shipped from over there.

And - I'm shipping you a bottle of the New Oberpfalz Imperial Rye - it was just released today. Super fresh, and I think you'll love it. Its the collab they did originally with 18th Street, but they just released it again this week.

Shipping on Monday. No arguments.

I might sneak a bottle of something else in there. Depends on my mood.

I'm in a good mood....

Enjoy Aruba!

Reactions: ovaltine
Not disagreeing - I just didn't think it was a citra hopped beer. But, I don't know that for sure; Floyds doesn't really say what hops they use, so its anyone's best guess, including your brewer's forums.

ZD is definitely citra hopped, used to be 100% citra (which FFF used to say themselves), though there is some thought that they have added a bit of others, due to citra shortage. The home brew guys have nailed the recipe down almost to the exact point. There is a 200 page+ thread on one of the forums regarding the recipe. There is the PF recipe out there too, but so few people outside of the region have actually had PF its hard to nail down 100%.

As far as ZD, even the beer supply stores are selling the kits of the ZD clone beer.

These guys are a lot better brewers than me, but we'll see what we end up with.

Last edited:
ZD is definitely citra hopped, used to be 100% citra, though there is some thought that they have added a bit of others, due to citra shortage. The home brew guys have nailed the recipe down almost to the exact point. There is a 200 page+ thread on one of the forums regarding the recipe. There is the PF recipe out there too, but so few people outside of the region have actually had PF its hard to nail down 100%.

These guys are a lot better brewers than me, but we'll see what we end up with.
No, you misunderstand me. Yes, no doubt the ZD is citra hopped; I'm saying that I'm not sure that Permanent Funeral is citra hopped.

3 Floyds brewed a beer called Quaanto, an obvious play on words with Quaaludes. It was Permanent Funeral on steroids - a triple IPA.

Flippin awesome.

But lethal.

Reactions: SuperHoosier
No, you misunderstand me. Yes, no doubt the ZD is citra hopped; I'm saying that I'm not sure that Permanent Funeral is citra hopped.

3 Floyds brewed a beer called Quaanto, an obvious play on words with Quaaludes. It was Permanent Funeral on steroids - a triple IPA.

Flippin awesome.

But lethal.

Yeah PF is always a bit of a mystery. This tread is the closest I've seen to someone trying to clone it. I'm gonna try it. If nothing else, I'll get beer. ANd with this many hops and ABV, I'll still enjoy it. If you don't want any, fine :)

I'd love to try whatever monster that Q beer is. I've gotten very spoiled in that all I want to drink is very high hopped and high ABV beer. I was given a Gumball head tonight, and after two top high end IIPAs, it tasted like a Bud Light

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=453966&page=2

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/235749/permanent-funeral-clone

Yeah PF is always a bit of a mystery. This tread is the closest I've seen to someone trying to clone it. I'm gonna try it. If nothing else, I'll get beer. ANd with this many hops and ABV, I'll still enjoy it. If you don't want any, fine :)

I'd love to try whatever monster that Q beer is. I've gotten very spoiled in that all I want to drink is very high hopped and high ABV beer. I was given a Gumball head tonight, and after two top high end IIPAs, it tasted like a Bud Light

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=453966&page=2

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/235749/permanent-funeral-clone
I will drink your beer.

Try me.

I'll send it to you and Phish.
I'm your huckelberry.

If you are ever up in da Region, I will meet you at New Oberpfalz - Gus is the brewer there, and he is great to talk brewing with. You could learn a lot from a short convo with him; I have for sure.

I'm also always open to a 3 Floyds meet and greet, but there is a shit ton of great brewers here in da Region, so while I love Floyds, its not my first choice.

I'm your huckelberry.

If you are ever up in da Region, I will meet you at New Oberpfalz - Gus is the brewer there, and he is great to talk brewing with. You could learn a lot from a short convo with him; I have for sure.

I'm also always open to a 3 Floyds meet and greet, but there is a shit ton of great brewers here in da Region, so while I love Floyds, its not my first choice.

Are they distributing down in Indy? I swear I saw that name at Kahns last week, either that or I mixed it in with discussion I saw on here.

I am not a master brewer whatsoever. I know the process and try to get better and better. My dad has been making beer since I was a little kid, but that was in an era where an "amber ale" was considered something special. Everything came through mail order from a few suppliers of liquid malt extract. Pretty sure he didn't even use hops back then. Beer has come a long way in the last 25 years.

We have a lot of family and friends in Chicago, but with a 5 month old we are pretty home bound right now. Hoping to get away for a weekend with some friends up that way in the next few months, would love to stop by...have never even been to FFF.

I had an Abrasive last week. Good stuff

Are they distributing down in Indy? I swear I saw that name at Kahns last week, either that or I mixed it in with discussion I saw on here.

I am not a master brewer whatsoever. I know the process and try to get better and better. My dad has been making beer since I was a little kid, but that was in an era where an "amber ale" was considered something special. Everything came through mail order from a few suppliers of liquid malt extract. Pretty sure he didn't even use hops back then. Beer has come a long way in the last 25 years.

We have a lot of family and friends in Chicago, but with a 5 month old we are pretty home bound right now. Hoping to get away for a weekend with some friends up that way in the next few months, would love to stop by...have never even been to FFF.
Well, if you've never been, then yes, Floyds is a must visit. Bring your five month old along; its kid friendly.

not so much.

But yes, you may have seen some New Ob on the shelves, as they are not self-distributing there. I recommend it if you see it.

There's four guys from my bottle share group that will be there, chasing the whale.

I'll be sleeping, and probably farting.

I refuse to jump through beer hoops anymore....

Reactions: PtownHoosier

I am on my second batch of Northern Brewer Zombie Dirt & it is terrific. By far the best kit I've done.

ADVERTISEMENT