ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

Speedway Stout is good shizzo. I have a BA Speedway I'm sitting on.

I think fresh Lizard King is as good of APA as they make. Of course that IMHO. Their Ninja vs Unicorn is also damn tasty.

Picked up a Speedway Stout and a Bell's 30th Anniversary today. Cellar-bound...

@PhishPhan682 did you say Lizard King was good from Pipeworks? Picked up a 4 pack of that today. @Hoops Cat have you had it?

I primarily drink stouts and Speedway Stout is one of my favorites. If you like stouts you should try Even More Jesus from Evil Twin Brewery and Ten Fidy from Oskar Blues. I have all three and some Founders Breakfast Stout in the fridge right now.

Added some inventory to my cellar today:

btcqnA.jpg

Added some inventory to my cellar today:

btcqnA.jpg
I've had Big Bad Baptist. Solid. Very good even, but it's no KBS. That Wicked Weed is excellent too. I have their IPA and IIPA in my fridge now. They're a really solid brewery making some interesting stuff.

I'm enjoying Lagunitas Born Yesterday fresh hopped APA. This one is really damn good. One of the better fresh hopped beers out there, and much more citrus than dank, stickyness that most emphasize.

Reactions: ovaltine
I picked up Tyranena's Balling The Queen today, strictly for the name. Also a 6er of Habanero Sculpin, 'cause that's how I roll.

Currently, I'm enjoying a Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Wet Hop IPA, 2015 version. Really earthy hop varietals. Simply outstanding.

p7M3UEizj

I've had Big Bad Baptist. Solid. Very good even, but it's no KBS. That Wicked Weed is excellent too. I have their IPA and IIPA in my fridge now. They're a really solid brewery making some interesting stuff.

I'm enjoying Lagunitas Born Yesterday fresh hopped APA. This one is really damn good. One of the better fresh hopped beers out there, and much more citrus than dank, stickyness that most emphasize.
Big Bad Baptist is great. KBS (and FBS, for that matter) is sublime.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
Speedway Stout is good shizzo. I have a BA Speedway I'm sitting on.

I think fresh Lizard King is as good of APA as they make. Of course that IMHO. Their Ninja vs Unicorn is also damn tasty.
IMO, Lizard King is a bit thin. No malt backbone, so it isn't balanced - I call it "sharp" for lack of a more descriptive term. No where near the league of Brickstone's APA, or dare I say it, Zombie Dust.

Now Ninja vs Unicorn is as tasty a beer as I've had, and I scoop up that shite whenever I seeze it.

I picked up Tyranena's Balling The Queen today, strictly for the name. Also a 6er of Habanero Sculpin, 'cause that's how I roll.

Currently, I'm enjoying a Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Wet Hop IPA, 2015 version. Really earthy hop varietals. Simply outstanding.

p7M3UEizj
I really, really liked Balling the Queen. Citra and honey IIPA? Yeah, hard to go wrong.

I have had that care package pretty much put together for you for over a week now. I just need a bigger box and I'll send it your way. You want a couple Unsessionables included?

Super Dooper

That Mexican Cake is facking amazing. My current whale search is for a Mexican Cake Coffee.

You will really enjoy the cake. Baptist is great. I've not had the Fat Boy nor the Lindley Park.

Cheers. If you have access to coffee cake I'd give up quite a bit to get it.

IMO, Lizard King is a bit thin. No malt backbone, so it isn't balanced - I call it "sharp" for lack of a more descriptive term. No where near the league of Brickstone's APA, or dare I say it, Zombie Dust.

Now Ninja vs Unicorn is as tasty a beer as I've had, and I scoop up that shite whenever I seeze it.
Agreed on Lizard King. I really like the smell and flavor from the mosaic hops, but it's a bit thin as you say. It's pretty good, but I much prefer the Brickstone APA and Revolution Fist City.

Agreed on Lizard King. I really like the smell and flavor from the mosaic hops, but it's a bit thin as you say. It's pretty good, but I much prefer the Brickstone APA and Revolution Fist City.
Revolution Fist City ?? I've not had this.

ISO

Westbrook Mexican Cake - that's the best beer in this box. Let me know when you crack that one....

I love porch bombs...make me happy.
I've asked my brother in North Carolina to keep an eye out for Mexican Cake for me, but he's only seen it in draught in Raleigh. He did bring me a couple Westbrook Citrus Ninjas though. I'll probably open one tomorrow or Saturday. I also picked up Pipeworks Sure Bet, an IIPA with honey and mango. I'm going to probably wait to share that one.

ISO
Its not hard to find in Chitown - pretty much available wherever you can find Revolution.

Ironically, I'm appraising a property in Chicago next week that is a 5 wood from Revolution, so I'll be drinking straight from the teat for lunch that day.

Can anyone join me?

ISO
Have you had the Brickstone stuff yet? Goat was underwhelmed by that and Fist City and preferred Lizard King, so maybe you'd agree with him instead. But you can't go wrong with any of them.

I have some Fist Citys left. Email me your address playa. I'll hook you up, unless you'll be in Chicago any time soon. Fist City is everywhere up there.

I've asked my brother in North Carolina to keep an eye out for Mexican Cake for me, but he's only seen it in draught in Raleigh. He did bring me a couple Westbrook Citrus Ninjas though. I'll probably open one tomorrow or Saturday. I also picked up Pipeworks Sure Bet, an IIPA with honey and mango. I'm going to probably wait to share that one.
Here's my Mexican Cake story - sorry if I've told you this one before. Last year's Dark Lord Day, we're in line doing the snake dance, and doing what you do in line at Dark Lord Day - sharing beers. My backpack was full of nothing but 18th Street, and I think I had a coconut Hunter open, when a guy going the other spied it, and said to save some for him on the next round.

Which I did, and so I gave him the half drunk bottle of Hunter, and in return, he gave me half drunk bottle of Mexican Cake. And so it goes at DLD - but that was the only time I've had Mexican Cake.

I know - cool story, bro.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
Have you had the Brickstone stuff yet? Goat was underwhelmed by that and Fist City and preferred Lizard King, so maybe you'd agree with him instead. But you can't go wrong with any of them.

I have some Fist Citys left. Email me your address playa. I'll hook you up, unless you'll be in Chicago any time soon. Fist City is everywhere up there.
I question Goat's palate.

F'n lawyers.

I really, really liked Balling the Queen. Citra and honey IIPA? Yeah, hard to go wrong.

I have had that care package pretty much put together for you for over a week now. I just need a bigger box and I'll send it your way. You want a couple Unsessionables included?
If you want to send a couple of Unsessionables, there's a better than 50% chance that the 1st Ovaltine grandchild will be named after you.

Regardless of gender.

Uh, what? Fist City is the shizzle. I like it better than Daisy Cutter.

Yeah, I typed that.

Its not hard to find in Chitown - pretty much available wherever you can find Revolution.

Ironically, I'm appraising a property in Chicago next week that is a 5 wood from Revolution, so I'll be drinking straight from the teat for lunch that day.

Can anyone join me?

What day?

One more thing - Chicago area beer nerds, Surly Darkness was released in Minnesota this week, so you may see it in your area really soon. The version released this week is the "regular" Darkness (non-BA), and they're supposedly going to release a BA version in December - only 1,500 bottles.

Total.

That will be a whale-ish beverage.

Reactions: CF**
Uh, what? Fist City is the shizzle. I like it better than Daisy Cutter.

Yeah, I typed that.
Agreed. As much as I live Half Acre I don't buy their stuff often when I can get Revolution and Pipeworks. Marz Community Brewing is the new kid on the scene making great stuff in Chicago too. If only they packaged I. 6 and 4 packs, but I think you'd really enjoy their stuff too.

Keep in mind, my schedule hasn't been set yet, but I'll let you know.

We will be in the Dells from Sunday until Tuesday so if it is Wednesday or Friday I could be in. If not, rain check. Speaking of Dells, any good New Glarus beers I should look for? (I've had the fruity sours already) any other beers that distro in Wisc and not our area?

One more thing - Chicago area beer nerds, Surly Darkness was released in Minnesota this week, so you may see it in your area really soon. The version released this week is the "regular" Darkness (non-BA), and they're supposedly going to release a BA version in December - only 1,500 bottles.

Total.

That will be a whale-ish beverage.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Darkness. Thanks!!

We will be in the Dells from Sunday until Tuesday so if it is Wednesday or Friday I could be in. If not, rain check. Speaking of Dells, any good New Glarus beers I should look for? (I've had the fruity sours already) any other beers that distro in Wisc and not our area?
I'm generally in agreement with Phish on New Glarus. Their "thumbprint" series, of which Scream is one, is their more assertive beers. But, you cannot go wrong buying Serendipity or any of their other lambic-styles or related. They do them better than any other brewery in 'murica, IMO.

I was only underwhelmed by it because I was comparing it to the Revolution brews. Those were phenomenal.

Had the Victory Dirtwolf on Monday. That was a pretty good DIPA.

I was only underwhelmed by it because I was comparing it to the Revolution brews. Those were phenomenal.

Had the Victory Dirtwolf on Monday. That was a pretty good DIPA.
Not saying you were wrong. My brother loved the Lizard King when he got to try it too. And Revolution is my favorite brewery, so I completely understood what you were saying. And yeah Dirt Wolf is great. So is Victory Hop Ranch.

Not saying you were wrong. My brother loved the Lizard King when he got to try it too. And Revolution is my favorite brewery, so I completely understood what you were saying. And yeah Dirt Wolf is great. So is Victory Hop Ranch.
Since we're talking stouts tonight, so is the Storm King. That was actually the first Victory brew I ever had.

Scream DIPA was good. Nothing else besides their fruit beers are worth tracking IMO.

NG has some amazing stuff.
I'm not into a lot of their shelf stuff like Spotted Cow but their fruits (Raspberry Tart, Serendipity, Strawberry Rhubarb) are nice treats from time to time.

Have an R&D BBBB, Wild Peach and you will taste one of the best fruited beers ever made. Forget the VSB as I believe it is a mythological creation this late in the game.

Apple Ale, Scream, Cran-Bic and Oud Bruin are all exceptional as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT