ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

Added some inventory to my cellar today:

btcqnA.jpg

Why are they wax topped?

I've had Big Bad Baptist. Solid. Very good even, but it's no KBS. That Wicked Weed is excellent too. I have their IPA and IIPA in my fridge now. They're a really solid brewery making some interesting stuff.

I'm enjoying Lagunitas Born Yesterday fresh hopped APA. This one is really damn good. One of the better fresh hopped beers out there, and much more citrus than dank, stickyness that most emphasize.

Speaking of Wicked Weed and now stouts, I happened to be in Asheville this past weekend and was able to swing by their sour facility during the Dark Arts release. It's a stout aged in tequila barrels (with Brett added to dry it out a little and some espresso) and it was outstanding. Not sure if anyone will see a bottle around or through trades but it's def worth trying.

My buddy gets a little crazy and waxes all of his cellar beers. So he did these as well.

Fair enough. Btw I would suggest not to cellar the Cake. Best fresh. And I do love me some Baptist. Try and grab a few whenever I am in WI.

Speaking of Wicked Weed and now stouts, I happened to be in Asheville this past weekend and was able to swing by their sour facility during the Dark Arts release. It's a stout aged in tequila barrels (with Brett added to dry it out a little and some espresso) and it was outstanding. Not sure if anyone will see a bottle around or through trades but it's def worth trying.
Wicked Weed is really damn solid. I'd put them up there with Perrenial for wild ales and sours. I've tried about 10 of their beers and I've enjoyed every one. My brother has been to their facility a couple times, once with the family and once with a bunch of other brewery people. He said it's outstanding.

So, way back in June 2015, the Blackhawks won Lord Stanley's Cup. (I remain committed to the Indian) At that time, 3 Floyds and Cigar City had a bet as to the outcome of the series, which ultimately Floyds won.

Fast forward, tomorrow Cigar City pays off the bet, with a Cigar City tap takeover at 3 Floyds, for which I have tickets. Tickets which were in very limited supply, as I think there were like 75 or so per session (3 total); the session I have tickets for is from 4 - 7 tomorrow afternoon.

Looking forward to it; Cigar City is excellent. A tap list has not been posted yet, but I expect it will be legit.

Those tickets are damn near as expensive as the bourbon county rare tix.

I'm not sure at what dollar threshold I'd sell my BC rare or FFF/CCB colab tickets but it is probably cheaper than most.

So, way back in June 2015, the Blackhawks won Lord Stanley's Cup. (I remain committed to the Indian) At that time, 3 Floyds and Cigar City had a bet as to the outcome of the series, which ultimately Floyds won.

Fast forward, tomorrow Cigar City pays off the bet, with a Cigar City tap takeover at 3 Floyds, for which I have tickets. Tickets which were in very limited supply, as I think there were like 75 or so per session (3 total); the session I have tickets for is from 4 - 7 tomorrow afternoon.

Looking forward to it; Cigar City is excellent. A tap list has not been posted yet, but I expect it will be legit.
I can't tell you how embarrassed I am that I've never had Jai Alai yet - but I'm gonna fix that in Aruba in a couple of weeks. Which makes sense - travel to Aruba to have an American classic.

And I'm gonna have Westie XII again.

So I have THAT going for me.

Hay O

Dam son, Jai Alai FRESH is amazing. As soon as White Oak Aged Jai Alai is back out I'll get a 12'er and I'll you some.

Reactions: ovaltine
I did not. Only 3 guys in my entire share (over 200) group got them.

You could just be a proxy and rake in mucho $$$$.........

I did not. Only 3 guys in my entire share (over 200) group got them.

You could just be a proxy and rake in mucho $$$$.........
Yup. That was my thought, because by the time you get in the door you're almost out, at minimum, $200. Plus, at least half a day.

All that for a beer that I would not be likely to drink anyway.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
$200 for WHAT???
Well, if you "won" a ticket in the lottery, which cost $40, you then won the right to purchase up to 3 bottles of Rare. Each bottle of Rare Bourbon Stout is $60. So, if you won this event, you pretty much have to buy 3 bottles, else, why even participate?

Well, if you "won" a ticket in the lottery, which cost $40, you then won the right to purchase up to 3 bottles of Rare. Each bottle of Rare Bourbon Stout is $60. So, if you won this event, you pretty much have to buy 3 bottles, else, why even participate?
TMP is right - we (beer nerds) are nuttier than fruitcakes.

Because what you just described is looney.

And that's coming from someone who dropped a couple hundred bucks when he visited 3F's and Toppling Goliath respecively.

Reactions: cryano
TMP is right - we (beer nerds) are nuttier than fruitcakes.

Because what you just described is looney.

And that's coming from someone who dropped a couple hundred bucks when he visited 3F's and Toppling Goliath respecively.
Yup. I put my name in the lottery for the first two days (you could put your name in once per day for a week), then I thought - what the phack are you doing? You (meaning me) would never crack a bottle of that anyway...

So, I withdrew my name from consideration.

Yup. I put my name in the lottery for the first two days (you could put your name in once per day for a week), then I thought - what the phack are you doing? You (meaning me) would never crack a bottle of that anyway...

So, I withdrew my name from consideration.
Full disclosure - I'm not a BCS fan. Too boozy. I appreciate what it is, but I don't seek it out.

Got an infected Bean Gene from Revolution. It was part of their Deep Woods series. I sat on it for quite a while and when I opened it a volcano erupted. It had no coffee flavor and tasted like pennies.

Pretty disappointing. The last of the series that I still have is the Gravedigger Billy Wee Heavy Scotch Ale.

Got an infected Bean Gene from Revolution. It was part of their Deep Woods series. I sat on it for quite a while and when I opened it a volcano erupted. It had no coffee flavor and tasted like pennies.

Pretty disappointing. The last of the series that I still have is the Gravedigger Billy Wee Heavy Scotch Ale.
I have one in the fridge. Hope mine is OK. I've never had a bad beer from Revolution.

I have the Gravedigger Billy. A friend told me they had a different one for sale at Binny's yesterday but he didn't remember what it was. I'm going to have to make another run this week

Looks like FFF is now putting some of their traditionally 12oz beers into Bombers. They have Gumballhead at the Kiosk for $3.25 per Bomber. And they just posted on FB a pic of bombers of ZD

Heads up! This will be easier to ship to friends out of state in trades

Looks like FFF is now putting some of their traditionally 12oz beers into Bombers. They have Gumballhead at the Kiosk for $3.25 per Bomber. And they just posted on FB a pic of bombers of ZD

Saw that, and was somewhat surprised that they priced it at $3.25 per bottle; that's pretty reasonable compared to the $10 per sixer price. I thought a price gouge was in process....

Cans would be better. Hopslam is only going to be in cans on the next release. That's great news.

12240072_10153751903869680_1864872631727485961_n.jpg

Cans would be better. Hopslam is only going to be in cans on the next release. That's great news.

12240072_10153751903869680_1864872631727485961_n.jpg
I absolutely LOVE cans - the beer tastes great (no threat whatsoever of it going funky due to light exposure), it's usually in pints (MORE BEER!!!), easy to chill in a cooler (no concerns about breaking anything), and especially for shipping purposes (no bubble wrap handy - NO PROBLEM!!!). If I was The Ruler Of All That Is Beer, the only glass would be bombers. Everything else would be cans.

I absolutely LOVE cans - the beer tastes great (no threat whatsoever of it going funky due to light exposure), it's usually in pints (MORE BEER!!!), easy to chill in a cooler (no concerns about breaking anything), and especially for shipping purposes (no bubble wrap handy - NO PROBLEM!!!). If I was The Ruler Of All That Is Beer, the only glass would be bombers. Everything else would be cans.
Your care package is in the mail. Look for it Monday.

Where do any Indy peeps like to shop? Kahns has been stepping up their selection recently, but am curious if any other shops I should check out?

Where do any Indy peeps like to shop? Kahns has been stepping up their selection recently, but am curious if any other shops I should check out?

What side of town are you? I like Kahn's but also Bottle Shop at 49th and College. Crown downtown is a great stop too.

Finally off loaded my Pear Bear today. Traded a FFF Pear Bear and an 18th St Foreman Coffee Stout plus 6 extras for Avery Uncle Jacob Stout and a Blue Pants Imperial Stout plus 6 extras.

I think I got a pretty good deal. This due is shipping from Montgomery AL so I'm sure I probably haven't tried most of the extras he is sending.

Finally off loaded my Pear Bear today. Traded a FFF Pear Bear and an 18th St Foreman Coffee Stout plus 6 extras for Avery Uncle Jacob Stout and a Blue Pants Imperial Stout plus 6 extras.

I think I got a pretty good deal. This duIhis shipping from Montgomery AL so I'm sure I probably haven't tried most of the extras he is sending.
One of the worst beers I've ever had was a BA Fat Pants something or other. Truly awful. Hope your bottle is better than that.

But, Pear Bear was pretty bad, too, imo.

Sounds like a wash

I didn't like the Pear Bear either. I was on a mission to get rid off it. Picked up some Prairie Christmas Bomb! and all the Dragons Milk Reserve Variants yesterday.

Looking forward to the toasted chilies version and the coffee version.

Did you get your hands on any BA Hunter yesterday? I read they only bottled just over 1200 and it was gone very fast. If you didn't get a ticket you didn't get a bottle.

I didn't like the Pear Bear either. I was on a mission to get rid off it. Picked up some Prairie Christmas Bomb! and all the Dragons Milk Reserve Variants yesterday.

Looking forward to the toasted chilies version and the coffee version.

Did you get your hands on any BA Hunter yesterday? I read they only bottled just over 1200 and it was gone very fast. If you didn't get a ticket you didn't get a bottle.
Yes, I picked up three of them.

Yes, I picked up three of them.
The "limited run" path a lot of brewers are choosing to take is interesting. Two years ago, I probably bought a case of Darkness, all in Mankato. Didn't have to go to Darkness day at the brewery in MSP, didn't have to make any trades, just went to my local beverage store and bought off the shelf (actually, out of the cooler). I shipped that stuff all over to share the Darkness love.

Last year I was able to acquire 2 bombers of the BA version Surly offered - and I had to call in a favor to get that. This year, I got 2 bombers of the "traditional" Darkness that released in late October, and have been told that I'll get 1 bomber of the BA version they're releasing in December. They reportedly brewed 1,500 bottles of the BA version, and it's already being "pre-traded" in beer nerd circles up here in Canada South.

Whales indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT