ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

That is awesome, O. I tried the Westy last Sunday at my monthly bottle share; the guy who brought the bottle to share is (obviously) generous, as he paid a shit ton to have a case shipped from over there.

And - I'm shipping you a bottle of the New Oberpfalz Imperial Rye - it was just released today. Super fresh, and I think you'll love it. Its the collab they did originally with 18th Street, but they just released it again this week.

Shipping on Monday. No arguments.

I might sneak a bottle of something else in there. Depends on my mood.

I'm in a good mood....

Enjoy Aruba!
You are a gentleman and a scholar. Send it on, big man!!!

There's four guys from my bottle share group that will be there, chasing the whale.

I'll be sleeping, and probably farting.

I refuse to jump through beer hoops anymore....
Agreed, though I've never been much of a whale chaser. I will make a few stops to pick up KBS, BCBS, etc when I think I can get them but I won't wait in lines or go to ridiculously crowded events. Plus those aren't really whales. If Good Samaritan beer nerds want to share I certainly won't object though, and I do love to make the occasional trade to get different stuff to try. Generally there is good enough stuff on the shelves to keep me pretty happy.

Reactions: ovaltine
Want to hear my obsession level?

About 6 of us are leaving Thanksgiving night for Binnys in Lincoln Park. I'll be in that lot at 11:30 pm the night before the black friday release.

Awesome. We are heading out at 2a for a parking lot bottle share. Get work done!

Anybody tried the Dogfish Head Higher Math?

$37.99 for a 4 pack (yes, you read that right.)

17% ABV.

Bought 2 of 'em yesterday, but drank margaritas at Rocco's Tacos and haven't had any yet.

HigherMath4.png

Last edited:
Agreed, though I've never been much of a whale chaser. I will make a few stops to pick up KBS, BCBS, etc when I think I can get them but I won't wait in lines or go to ridiculously crowded events. Plus those aren't really whales. If Good Samaritan beer nerds want to share I certainly won't object though, and I do love to make the occasional trade to get different stuff to try. Generally there is good enough stuff on the shelves to keep me pretty happy.
What's the whale everyone's chasing? I gots to know!!!

I don't chase the whales, either, though if I have easy access to one, I don't hesitate to grab it, unless it's $600 for a bomber (as a bottle of 2007 Darkness was that I could've purchased - no thank you). My local shop usually holds stuff for me that can be difficult to acquire (like Wet or Abrasive or Darkness or KBS), and after that, I'm pretty content picking up the stuff they have in their coolers or on the shelves - as you said, there's SOOOOOOO much good stuff readily available. Plus all of my beer trade friends here are generous enough to send me stuff I can't get in Minnesota - it is truly a great time to be a beer nerd.

I may have to, however, make an exception for PTY. I've gotta think on that some more.

Anybody tried the Dogfish Head Higher Math?

$37.99 for a 4 pack (yes, you read that right.)

17% ABV.

Bought 2 of 'em yesterday, but drank margaritas at Rocco's Tacos and haven't had any yet.

HigherMath4.png
DFH has some world-class stuff (90 Minute, Burton Baton, WWS, etc), but they also have some stuff that is, um, challenging (120 Minute). Higher Math sounds challenging, IMHO. Hope you enjoy it.

DFH has some world-class stuff (90 Minute, Burton Baton, WWS, etc), but they also have some stuff that is, um, challenging (120 Minute). Higher Math sounds challenging, IMHO. Hope you enjoy it.

...yeah, I'm not in a hurry to try it.

I also purchased the Sam Adams "Utopias."

27% ABV, I believe.

Gotta be in the right mood for stuff that strong.

...yeah, I'm not in a hurry to try it.

I also purchased the Sam Adams "Utopias."

27% ABV, I believe.

Gotta be in the right mood for stuff that strong.
Damn. What'd that set you back? $200? I've always wanted to try it but not that bad.

I have a couple bottles of Raison D Extra and 120 Minute in the beer fridge, but I mainly got them for my brother in Raleigh since they can't get 12% + beers there.

Damn. What'd that set you back? $200? I've always wanted to try it but not that bad.

I have a couple bottles of Raison D Extra and 120 Minute in the beer fridge, but I mainly got them for my brother in Raleigh since they can't get 12% + beers there.

Yep, $200.

Literally had to get permission to buy it and was shocked I got the okay!

A brewer I know recommended the Sam Adams to me or I would have never bought it.

If we are friends on Untappd, you'll know what kind of fantastic night I had tonight. If we aren't, why not? SuperHoosier there as well. Friend me, damnit

Yes I drank beer, TMP

I'm your huckelberry.

If you are ever up in da Region, I will meet you at New Oberpfalz - Gus is the brewer there, and he is great to talk brewing with. You could learn a lot from a short convo with him; I have for sure.

I'm also always open to a 3 Floyds meet and greet, but there is a shit ton of great brewers here in da Region, so while I love Floyds, its not my first choice.

So was in Kahn's today. Picked up some more Black Acre...as they are by far my favorite Indy brewery. They have just now started canning/selling in stores (tap only prior to last month).....and they only are canning their Natural Liberty APL (big time Citra hopped lager) and Saucey Intruder, which is just an amazing rye IPA. Both are no brainers to pick if you see them on tap/in cooler somewhere. I really strongly believe they are the one of the best brewers in Indy. They just expanded beyond their original 3 barrel brew-pub in Irvington, and now are ramping up production, so those in Indy should start seeing them a lot more in your local. Try them, I doubt you are disappointed.

Anyway....long rant.......but New Oberpfalz did have two styles of bombers in at Kahn's. A Dopplebock, and an IIPA called Toad Storm. Either of these worthy of the premium price?

So was in Kahn's today. Picked up some more Black Acre...as they are by far my favorite Indy brewery. They have just now started canning/selling in stores (tap only prior to last month).....and they only are canning their Natural Liberty APL (big time Citra hopped lager) and Saucey Intruder, which is just an amazing rye IPA. Both are no brainers to pick if you see them on tap/in cooler somewhere. I really strongly believe they are the one of the best brewers in Indy. They just expanded beyond their original 3 barrel brew-pub in Irvington, and now are ramping up production, so those in Indy should start seeing them a lot more in your local. Try them, I doubt you are disappointed.

Anyway....long rant.......but New Oberpfalz did have two styles of bombers in at Kahn's. A Dopplebock, and an IIPA called Toad Storm. Either of these worthy of the premium price?
Both are good. Dopplebocks aren't my preferred style, but the Elucidator packs an 8% wallop, and is very smooth. A tad bit less dark malt than most dopples. Toad Storm is very good; my only concern is how long that bottle was on the shelf? They brewed it once, took a hiatus, then brewed it again. (I don't know if they date stamp or no; sorry.) Its brewed with all german malt and hops, and is a unique DIPA - more sweet than most, and with a hop finish that is unique.

What's the price per bottle for them on the shelves there?

Both are good. Dopplebocks aren't my preferred style, but the Elucidator packs an 8% wallop, and is very smooth. A tad bit less dark malt than most dopples. Toad Storm is very good; my only concern is how long that bottle was on the shelf? They brewed it once, took a hiatus, then brewed it again. (I don't know if they date stamp or no; sorry.) Its brewed with all german malt and hops, and is a unique DIPA - more sweet than most, and with a hop finish that is unique.

What's the price per bottle for them on the shelves there?

I think they were about $14 per bomber. Age was my concern with it...I saw no date stamp.

I think they were about $14 per bomber. Age was my concern with it...I saw no date stamp.
Well, the brewery still has the dopple for sale, and they only brewed one batch of that, so you're good there. And, they just sold the last of the Toad last week, and I'm thinking that its the second batch, because they just don't produce that much.

As for price they sell both for $10 per at the brewery.

Interesting.....I find it difficult to believe this will keep craft beer out of stores. The retailers know that the demand is there for ever more variety. If a distributor can't fill that demand, I would think another one would.

Seems they are targeting the high volume craft brewers, SN, Stone, Lagunitas, etc....
I
They just don't get it.

Inbev believes it can constrict demand for craft by restricting its distribution. I don't think that's going to work, long term. Once someone takes a liking to craft, they don't revert back to macro, at least to the same degree. And, that conversion has happened in a large segment of the beer drinking demographic, and especially with millennials. Them asshats love the craft beer.

So, with pent up demand for craft having no macro outlet, new distributors will pop up, specializing only in craft. In Indiana - Starlight opened in 2011, and only sells (I believe) craft beers from smaller brewers, is one example. Its simple economics.

And, SN, Stone, Lagunitas will find a way around it, too.

Craft beer is not going anywhere.

I do find it odd, though, the Inbev and Miller / Coors don't do the obvious - brew craft beers. They have the skill set, and they are excellent brewers - they brew a consistent beer time after time. They just brew an adjunct lager that isn't as good (to me) as craft beers.

Shoreline Brewery Beltaine Scottish Ale

Despite being sufficiently chilled and settled, it foamed pretty bad upon pouring, but the head was very thick and creamy. Flavor impressively mild for a Scottish Ale, not too bitter. Dark color matches the cocoa and caramel flavors.

Not the best Scottish Ale I've ever had, but at only $7 for a 22, it was worth the money. I recommend.

Interesting.....I find it difficult to believe this will keep craft beer out of stores. The retailers know that the demand is there for ever more variety. If a distributor can't fill that demand, I would think another one would.

Seems they are targeting the high volume craft brewers, SN, Stone, Lagunitas, etc....
It won't work, because they aren't targeting the retailers. They are targeting the distributors (the guys who sell to retailers). However, there are distributors who already specialize in craft beers, and these incentives do nothing for them. If the big distributors drop craft beers to meet these incentives, then those beers will be picked up by other distributors, and they'll still get sold.

However, knowing some of the big distributors as I do, most of them would consider this a loss, because the rebates won't be enough to account for their lost sales.This is going to backfire on InBev.

Interesting article if you're so inclined.

There's a case study for this article in my little burg - 3 new craft brewers opening within a mile of me within the last 12 months. One gets "it" - focused on consistency and quality, and will pour out beers that don't meet the standard. One could be good, but isn't, consistency from batch to batch stinks, etc etc, yet their taproom is often full. The third is not long for this world, I'm afraid, as they consistently sell beers that are just not good.

One out of three ain't bad, I guess.

http://growlermag.com/crap-beer-slipping-standards-lack-of-quality-control-threaten-the-industry/

Is Pokro the one that isn't long for this world?
Yup. I think their issue might be that they are brewing on too small of a system to support the economics of the business. Totally a WAG on my part, but I think they don't let beers mature because they need the inventory to sell. Too bad, because the guy might be a decent brewer, but what he's putting out just hasn't been good, imo.

Yup. I think their issue might be that they are brewing on too small of a system to support the economics of the business. Totally a WAG on my part, but I think they don't let beers mature because they need the inventory to sell. Too bad, because the guy might be a decent brewer, but what he's putting out just hasn't been good, imo.

Well that feeds right into that article that says most consumers don't care, or probably don't know a flawed beer. A quick online search shows people saying their beers are great. Great thing craft brewers have going for them is an entire generation of people that grew up on dead, fizzy tasteless bud light.

You had a FFF Pear Bear yet?

About to crack that and a Love Child 4.

If you are talking to me, I've not. I've been hesitant because I've heard mixed reviews. Last time I went over there they didn't have it on tap. I've seen bottles here or there but haven't pulled the trigger. Figured I'd get around to trying it at some point though

Well it's delicious. Smell is brilliant. You get that as soon as you pour. Smells like a gummi bear. At first taste you feel like it may be Upland sour but it's not. Just a big first bite. Very delicious. If it were 12-13 bucks I'd buy everyone I saw.

Well it's delicious. Smell is brilliant. You get that as soon as you pour. Smells like a gummi bear. At first taste you feel like it may be Upland sour but it's not. Just a big first bite. Very delicious. If it were 12-13 bucks I'd buy everyone I saw.
Hmmm, mayhaps they were warning me off because they know my preferences are not normally towards gummi bears in my beer....

I am having a Dogfish 120. i recently acquired an Upland Strawberry Lambic, Cherry Lambic and upland Vinosynth Red. Later this evening when I'm cotton mouthed I'm gonna have the Vinosynth.

Need to give a PSA that the 2015 BC Prop needs to sit!!! It is way sweet and needs to sit. On a second note I got ahold of a Los Dos by Cycle and it was in the top 10 beers I've ever had. It CRUSHED the 15 prop.

I am having a Dogfish 120. i recently acquired an Upland Strawberry Lambic, Cherry Lambic and upland Vinosynth Red. Later this evening when I'm cotton mouthed I'm gonna have the Vinosynth.

Need to give a PSA that the 2015 BC Prop needs to sit!!! It is way sweet and needs to sit. On a second note I got ahold of a Los Dos by Cycle and it was in the top 10 beers I've ever had. It CRUSHED the 15 prop.
Did you enjoy the 120 Minute? That beer is way way way too boozy for me.

I got this one about two years ago. still a booze bomb but I'm not convinced it would change anytime soon.

Another PSA is if you see any Prairie Coffee Okie buy it and don't worry about the price. Tomorrow after noon I'm going hunting to see if I can find another one.

WOWZA it is good

I know this is a longshot here but thought I'd throw it out and maybe get lucky. We are doing a big share on Super Bowl Sunday. I'm truthfully not sure how we are going to get through the bottles we have but we are still ISO some Bourbon County years.

ISO (Updated after Tuesday)
08 BCBS
11 BCBS x2
11 BCBCS
12 BCBS x2
13 BCBCS x2
14 BCBCS x2
Cherry Rye
Vanilla Rye

FT
$$ for the big dogs
NG BBBB
NG 2015 R&D set
Mikkeller/FFF Blå Spøgelse
Black Tuesday
Black Friday
Uplands
15 Abraxas
10 NightStalker
LC4

I know this is a longshot here but thought I'd throw it out and maybe get lucky. We are doing a big share on Super Bowl Sunday. I'm truthfully not sure how we are going to get through the bottles we have but we are still ISO some Bourbon County years.

ISO (Updated after Tuesday)
08 BCBS
11 BCBS x2
11 BCBCS
12 BCBS x2
13 BCBCS x2
14 BCBCS x2
Cherry Rye
Vanilla Rye

FT
$$ for the big dogs
NG BBBB
NG 2015 R&D set
Mikkeller/FFF Blå Spøgelse
Black Tuesday
Black Friday
Uplands
15 Abraxas
10 NightStalker
LC4
I'm not sure this is in English but I may have a couple'13 & '14 BCBS if you need them. Hell, my brother just acquired a case of'14 BCBS from a friend of mine here to take back to Raleigh with him last week.

I'm enjoying a '14 Deschutes Mirror Mirror now. Damn. That's a tasty beverage. Really smooth and easy drinking for a barleywine.

I'm not sure this is in English but I may have a couple'13 & '14 BCBS if you need them. Hell, my brother just acquired a case of'14 BCBS from a friend of mine here to take back to Raleigh with him last week.

I'm enjoying a '14 Deschutes Mirror Mirror now. Damn. That's a tasty beverage. Really smooth and easy drinking for a barleywine.

Thanks but we have the regulars for 13-14. Need the Coffees of that year.

08 BCBS (reg)
11 BCBS x2 (reg)
11 BCBCS (coffee bomber)
12 BCBS x2 (reg)
13 BCBCS x2 (coffee)
14 BCBCS x2 (coffee)
Cherry Rye
Vanilla Rye

Meh, I stopped at a Binny's in Chicago last night and picked up a Ten Ninety De Ogen.

Now THAT is a whale.

:D

In all seriousness, if I lived near a Binny's, I'd have to get a 2nd job. Picked up some cool stuff (Lizard King, Lag Bitter Oats, GL Blackout, CS Chocolate Sombrero, 6-Pt Sensi, a couple of Maine beers).

Reactions: CF**
ADVERTISEMENT