ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

Just found the news story about Dusty.....damn. I know too many people who have drowned....sucks
Yeah, I don't know what caused him to fall off the boat, but my intimation is that maybe he had a medical condition that caused the fall? Don't know. We just rolled against that team a couple of weeks back....

And your palette needs further edumacation....

I passed on Grapefruit Dead this year. I'm a big fan of 18th, and I love that beer, but, at $20-$22 (and as high as $26 I heard in Indy) per 4-pack of 12 oz cans?

I think I've reached the point of cost push-back. I'm not going to buy, because you can't tell me it cost more to make that beer than it did to make Overlords Revenge, a DIPA that 18th released yesterday for $10 / bomber. I think there's some opportunistic buggery going on here.

Most of the beer from 18th I've seen in Indy has been at the very top end of prices. As such, I've yet to try anything from them.

Too many other options available.

Reactions: ovaltine
Most of the beer from 18th I've seen in Indy has been at the very top end of prices. As such, I've yet to try anything from them.

Too many other options available.
18th makes fantastic brews. Hoops is spot on in that their IPA's and DIPA's are what they do best.

Watermelon Dorado sucks a bag of sugar coated dicks.

I did see someone post something about a 120. I have some from 14 and 15 left. Even the 14 is boozy but I tend to enjoy one every couple of months.

Hmmmm, and I don't say this lightly or without foundation, but Citra, Citra, Citra by Marz is flipping fantastic. I would put it up there with King Sue...maybe just one notch down on the totem pole.

Yup, I said that.

IMG_2686.jpg

GOOD MORNING.

Hmmmm, and I don't say this lightly or without foundation, but Citra, Citra, Citra by Marz is flipping fantastic. I would put it up there with King Sue...maybe just one notch down on the totem pole.

Yup, I said that.
That's not really a crazy thing to say. Marz is doing some fantastic stuff and Citra Citra Citra is awesome. I think it's closer to Citra Hero than King Sue though.

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA this weekend...never had it. Question to you beer nerds: should I drink it now or let it age for a while?

I've had a 120 that was aged over a year. Got pretty boozy (as if the 120 fresh isn't) and tasted more like liquor than beer. Interesting. Probably worth saving 1 out the 4 pack to do it.

I had it recently. I didn't care for it much (too sweet - like a bag of watermelon Jolly Ranchers dumped into a beer), but if you like it, enjoy the bat shiznit out of it.

And if you like Ballast Point (the brewer of your beloved) and "fruit" beers, try Grapefruit Sculpin.

You're welcome.

I'm pretty sure at this point Ballast Point has gone the way of Leinenkugel's and just has a base brew they just pour different flavors of high fructose corn syrup into.

Hay Indy-ites...

Got a buddy heading down for a short work trip to Franklin. Any recommendations on bottle shops and/or places with decent tap lists in Franklin, or I'm guessing the larger area on the south side of Indy?

Hay Indy-ites...

Got a buddy heading down for a short work trip to Franklin. Any recommendations on bottle shops and/or places with decent tap lists in Franklin, or I'm guessing the larger area on the south side of Indy?
Have them look into Taxman Brewing Co. in Bargersville.

BA Hunter recall at 18th Street and they are blaming those who chose to cellar "against their recommendation". I'm sure calling customers out will really help matters

http://www.18thstreetbrewery.com
I've enjoyed everything Hoops has gotten me from 18th Street but they're not good at PR. They better learn in a hurry with so much competition out there. The prices I've heard from them don't help them either.

BA Hunter recall at 18th Street and they are blaming those who chose to cellar "against their recommendation". I'm sure calling customers out will really help matters

http://www.18thstreetbrewery.com
If the bottle says, "Fresh is best, do not cellar," why would a beer nerd choose to cellar the beer?

Put another way, Surly states on cans of Todd The Axe Man, "Drink fresh." I think that's a pretty clear message, but what do I know?

If the bottle says, "Fresh is best, do not cellar," why would a beer nerd choose to cellar the beer?

Put another way, Surly states on cans of Todd The Axe Man, "Drink fresh." I think that's a pretty clear message, but what do I know?

Here's the thing though....Westbrook says to not cellar Mexican Cake or the variants of that wonderful beer. Apparently, not too long ago they "found" some older bottles in their warehouse of variants that weren't supposed to be cellared....based on their recommendation. They sold those "lost bottles" for upwards of $80 per bottle.

Interesting isn't it?

When we took a tour of Pipeworks the guy running their aging program told us the same. That they recommended drinking "fresh"

I think that's just brewery talk as that is indeed the best quality they can guarantee. But also if you don't have any cellared, you are likely to get more.

And your Axeman example doesn't fit here...that isn't a BA Stout which has already been aged. IPAs and DIPAs SHOULD be consumed as fresh off the teet as possible.

Lol

I've enjoyed everything Hoops has gotten me from 18th Street but they're not good at PR. They better learn in a hurry with so much competition out there. The prices I've heard from them don't help them either.
Yeah, I wish 18th would hire a mouthpiece - they can't make even a good faith effort to make things right (bring back your bottle, full or empty, for a gift cert of the full amount of purchase) without coming off sounding like arrogant asspricks. Knowing what I know about them, I think part of that is just that they fly by the seat of their pants. The other part is that 18th is very much a one-person company - it's Drew Fox's vision and his baby, and he does not take well to someone second guessing his decisions, nor the quality of his beer, and maybe that is the arrogant part that emanates throughout their public voice.

All that said, I don't necessarily fault them for this beer going bad - it's barrel aged, and that process invites them nasty microbes necessary and naturally present in the brewing process to get funky. And that's not always a good or intentional thing, although that process is the genius of Belgian abbey-brewed beers, that really only air-borne on wild yeast, but I digress. Now, 18th has said that their lab work on the BA Hunter came back clean - once, twice, three times a lady, and yet they have an infection problem in what they describe as random bottles. They also had a problem with the last batch of coffee Hunter (not in one I sent your way, I don't think :) ), and so that would make one wonder. Coincidental, or? Now, if it happens a third time, then I would think they have a quality control issue.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
Here's the thing though....Westbrook says to not cellar Mexican Cake or the variants of that wonderful beer. Apparently, not too long ago they "found" some older bottles in their warehouse of variants that weren't supposed to be cellared....based on their recommendation. They sold those "lost bottles" for upwards of $80 per bottle.

Interesting isn't it?

When we took a tour of Pipeworks the guy running their aging program told us the same. That they recommended drinking "fresh"

I think that's just brewery talk as that is indeed the best quality they can guarantee. But also if you don't have any cellared, you are likely to get more.

And your Axeman example doesn't fit here...that isn't a BA Stout which has already been aged. IPAs and DIPAs SHOULD be consumed as fresh off the teet as possible.

Lol
The reason I mentioned Todd is Surly states on the can, "Drink fresh," so I do.

If the brewer takes the tine to state, "Do not cellar, drink fresh," I take their word that they know better than I do, so I drink fresh - whether it's an IPA, a DIPA, or a BA stout. Going against their advice is a "Buyer (or drinker) beware" scenario.

#respect beer (and brewers)

Reactions: SuperHoosier
I have a 4 pack of Heady Topper &/or a couple of Sip of Sunshines & Super Sessions for trade if someone is interested. Both picked up Wed. in VT.

Reactions: twenty02
Anyone picking up any Perm Funeral around? Seems it's starting to pop up here and there around Indy. Must be that time of year.

Still have these? What do you want? How about a Surly Darkness 2016?

I still have 1 HT & 1 SoS left. Would be willing to trade those, but that's all that is left. Wish I'd heard from you sooner, I just drank the shit out of the beers over the last week. I think I like the SOS better, btw

I still have 1 HT & 1 SoS left. Would be willing to trade those, but that's all that is left. Wish I'd heard from you sooner, I just drank the shit out of the beers over the last week. I think I like the SOS better, btw

Agreed on SOS. Do you have the ability to get more or was this a one time thing? What would you want for those two? Where are you located? Do you covet FFF stuff or no? Email me superhoosier@gmail.com

ADVERTISEMENT