ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

I've had it. When I had it, it was the #1 beer in the world (per Beer Advocate). I didn't rate it as such, but it's a very good beer. The Alchemist also added a 2nd beer to their lineup (Focal Banger) that's supposed to be fantastic, too.

If you're in that area and looking for a beer adventure, Tree House in Monson, MA may be the better time investment. Fifteen beers in the Top 250 on BA. By contrast, 3F's has six, TG nine, and Surly four.

Put it this way, if I was on a trip in the NE and had to choose one place to visit, it would be either Tree House or Trillium, which is in Boston and has nineteen beers in the Top 250. Nineteen.

I'd suggest trying to find Sip of Sunshine as well. Heady Topper is a fantastic beer but SOS is superb

@twenty02 @SuperHoosier sorry for not making it clear. He has had a six pack of founders KBS and he wants to trade for something from three floyds. He didn't specify he just said he loves their beer and wanted me to check if anyone was interested

@twenty02 @SuperHoosier sorry for not making it clear. He has had a six pack of founders KBS and he wants to trade for something from three floyds. He didn't specify he just said he loves their beer and wanted me to check if anyone was interested

I'd do it....depending on what FFFs he wants. Some are tougher to get than others. Let me know.

KBS only comes in singles and 4 packs that I'm aware of. If he has 6 KBSs he'll trade he should be able to get a lot of Three Floyds though.

I drank from my imitation YETI for the first time today - the WalMart brand Ozark, or Alpine, Trail.
I didnt let beer sit for 6 hours to see how long it would keep - but 30 oz of beer was cold and consistent all the way through while I drank it.
I did drill a 1/8 bit into the 'air-hole' immediately when I noticed the beer struggling to reach my lips.

This is a traveshamockery good imperial stout that is relatively easily accessible.

G73oyeS.jpg

If I'm not careful, I'll be .....

I had a couple tremendous beverages at my local tonight. First up was Oddside Mayan Mocha Stout. Holy crap did I enjoy this even though the BA reviews aren't great. It's a 6% milk Stout (I think) with chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla and habaneros. It might have coffee, but I'm not sure. It had a lot going on. I love this style, and at only 6% this is the most "session able" I've had.

I also had the new Alesmith Decadence, an imperial steam beer at 9.5%. Alesmith can pretty much do no wrong, and this one is tremendous.

Reactions: cryano
I had a couple tremendous beverages at my local tonight. First up was Oddside Mayan Mocha Stout. Holy crap did I enjoy this even though the BA reviews aren't great. It's a 6% milk Stout (I think) with chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla and habaneros. It might have coffee, but I'm not sure. It had a lot going on. I love this style, and at only 6% this is the most "session able" I've had.

I also had the new Alesmith Decadence, an imperial steam beer at 9.5%. Alesmith can pretty much do no wrong, and this one is tremendous.
I've not had the regular but got a BA Mayan in a trade and yea holy shitballz it is tasty.

I just finished this
7518449953209ffe8bf6341b709041b7_640x640.jpg

Grapefruit Dead is the real deal. Good job on that.

I'm not an Evil Twin fan for the most part but I've been trained by Mr O to not be a hater. Cheers playa.

I haven't been a big fan of their stuff either, but I like the style so thought I'd try one. Also picked up Even More Jesus, Hunter Vanilla, Birthday Bomb, Sinister, & Zombie Dust at the Downtown Crown Liquor, better selection than I remember last time I went there a few years ago.

Grapefruit Dead is the real deal. Good job on that.

I'm not an Evil Twin fan for the most part but I've been trained by Mr O to not be a hater. Cheers playa.
Evil Twin is not a favorite for me (I nearly drain-poured Molotov), either, but Even More Jesus is the real deal, IMHO - and Grapefruit Dead is the realer deal. That's a world-class beer that I had the pleasure of trying courtesy of @Hoops Cat .

Evil Twin is not a favorite for me (I nearly drain-poured Molotov), either, but Even More Jesus is the real deal, IMHO - and Grapefruit Dead is the realer deal. That's a world-class beer that I had the pleasure of trying courtesy of @Hoops Cat .
I passed on Grapefruit Dead this year. I'm a big fan of 18th, and I love that beer, but, at $20-$22 (and as high as $26 I heard in Indy) per 4-pack of 12 oz cans?

I think I've reached the point of cost push-back. I'm not going to buy, because you can't tell me it cost more to make that beer than it did to make Overlords Revenge, a DIPA that 18th released yesterday for $10 / bomber. I think there's some opportunistic buggery going on here.

I passed on Grapefruit Dead this year. I'm a big fan of 18th, and I love that beer, but, at $20-$22 (and as high as $26 I heard in Indy) per 4-pack of 12 oz cans?

I think I've reached the point of cost push-back. I'm not going to buy, because you can't tell me it cost more to make that beer than it did to make Overlords Revenge, a DIPA that 18th released yesterday for $10 / bomber. I think there's some opportunistic buggery going on here.

$23.99 for a 4 pack. Expensive, no doubt.

The only beer I can remember not buying because of the price was Westie XII at $86/6er a few years ago.

And then I went to Aruba and paid $35/11.2 oz bottle.

Twice.

I keep telling you guys, I'm a genius.

Reactions: LeConte
The only beer I can remember not buying because of the price was Westie XII at $86/6er a few years ago.

And then I went to Aruba and paid $35/11.2 oz bottle.

Twice.

I keep telling you guys, I'm a genius.

I never pass on a beer I really want to try due to price. I may not buy regularly however. There is definitely buggery abound though. Like the crook Jivhad or whatever his name is at Sahara Mart in Bloomington charging $4 per 12 oz beer for ZD or Gumballhead at Sahara Mart when he probably pays $32-$36 per case.

Yeah but that was out of the country and at a restaurant so you get a free pass. The Grapefruit Dead he sent me a couple years ago, or maybe last year, was tremendous but it ain't worth that. There are way too many great IPAs out there now to really even consider that for me. I recently had Buckle Down's (from suburban Chicago) Grapefruit Belt and Suspenders IPA. $5.99 a bomber and excellent. Schlafly's Grapefruit pale ale and of course BP's Grapefruit Sculpin are available for much, much less though not on the same level.

Reactions: ovaltine
Our local pizza place/bar had an anniversary party last week, and I was fortunate enough to stop in a few days after to find some Bourbon County Stout on tap. One of the few beers that gives KBS a run for the money.

Reactions: ovaltine

I didn't buy either one but by doing the math....

22 oz - $10 = 2.2oz per $1
48 oz - $22 = 2.18181818oz per $1

Price isn't that much off between the two.....so it doesn't likely cost more to make it. Maybe it cost that slight (.02oz per $1) amount for cans vs bottles. :)

I never pass on a beer I really want to try due to price. I may not buy regularly however. There is definitely buggery abound though. Like the crook Jivhad or whatever his name is at Sahara Mart in Bloomington charging $4 per 12 oz beer for ZD or Gumballhead at Sahara Mart when he probably pays $32-$36 per case.

No way he is paying less than the $40 per case they get themselves at the kiosk....

doesn't change your point, but I doubt he's paying less than what they sell it for themselves....

Picked up a six of Rise of the Angels(18th St.) at lunch. Any of you knuckleheads tried it?

This brewery cranks out different varieties like McNutt spins inane yarns.... I'm all for variety and innovation but their brew master appears to have the attention span of a hummingbird.

McHoop

Picked up a six of Rise of the Angels(18th St.) at lunch. Any of you knuckleheads tried it?

This brewery cranks out different varieties like McNutt spins inane yarns.... I'm all for variety and innovation but their brew master appears to have the attention span of a hummingbird.

McHoop
Now that's funny. I knew visiting this thread would payoff sometime.

McHoop
I like Rise of the Angels, but pretty much any 18th St IPA or DIPA is good. Its what they do best....the brewmaster (Drew Fox) worked at Pipeworks and Spiteful back in the day, before opening 18th. One of my favorites here in da Region.

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA this weekend...never had it. Question to you beer nerds: should I drink it now or let it age for a while?

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA this weekend...never had it. Question to you beer nerds: should I drink it now or let it age for a while?

If you drink it now, it will be really boozy. I've aged them for a year, & it was really boozy. I didn't think it made a big difference.

this thread is 33 pages so it's kinda hard to do a Search function, but has anyone had the Watermelon Dorado from Ballast Point? A friend introduced me over the weekend and now I'm in love. Pretty safe to say she's the one. I asked her to marry me and I'm awaiting the response

this thread is 33 pages so it's kinda hard to do a Search function, but has anyone had the Watermelon Dorado from Ballast Point? A friend introduced me over the weekend and now I'm in love. Pretty safe to say she's the one. I asked her to marry me and I'm awaiting the response
I had it recently. I didn't care for it much (too sweet - like a bag of watermelon Jolly Ranchers dumped into a beer), but if you like it, enjoy the bat shiznit out of it.

And if you like Ballast Point (the brewer of your beloved) and "fruit" beers, try Grapefruit Sculpin.

You're welcome.

I had a couple a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. I didn't find it as sweet as some have described. Thought it was a well balanced double IPA....enough of the fruit on the front end followed up with a lot of the hops and booziness on the back end. I have a couple left that I need to finish off. Thanks for the reminder. I didn't care for the Grapefruit Sculpin as I just don't dig grapefruit beers or grapefruit in general. I'm eating some Watermelon right now so it's one of my favorite fruits..

Reactions: MillerTime
I intentionally didn't do price per oz just to keep it a slight bit confusing. Haha
18th is releasing a 9.2% DIPA called Villain today . I'm sure it'll be good, but that's not what I'm looking at.

Their price point on a 6-pack of 12 oz cans? $14. I'd sure like to know why this beer is so much cheaper than Grapefruit Dead?

Ingredient cost? Time and/or labor? Resting time? The steep cost of grapefruit? Or, opportunistic buggeritis, the ability to charge more for a beer because, well, just because you can.

Also, you are dead wrong on Watermelon Dorado. That is a horrible horrible beer, and @ovaltine described it perfectly. If I want a Jolly Rancher, I'll have one, but not in a beer. @Mystery Donor - avoid at all costs.

And, you're also wrong about Grapefruit Sculpin. That is an excellent beer. vbg.

When do you start rolling again? Sad news about Dusty Payne, assuming you heard about his passing.

18th is releasing a 9.2% DIPA called Villain today . I'm sure it'll be good, but that's not what I'm looking at.

Their price point on a 6-pack of 12 oz cans? $14. I'd sure like to know why this beer is so much cheaper than Grapefruit Dead?

Ingredient cost? Time and/or labor? Resting time? The steep cost of grapefruit? Or, opportunistic buggeritis, the ability to charge more for a beer because, well, just because you can.

Also, you are dead wrong on Watermelon Dorado. That is a horrible horrible beer, and @ovaltine described it perfectly. If I want a Jolly Rancher, I'll have one, but not in a beer. @Mystery Donor - avoid at all costs.

And, you're also wrong about Grapefruit Sculpin. That is an excellent beer. vbg.

When do you start rolling again? Sad news about Dusty Payne, assuming you heard about his passing.

About the beers....we all have our own palettes for sure. I don't taste the sweetness in that beer.

Whoa! I didn't hear about Dusty!!!! When did this happen?!

I pre-bowled the past two weeks. I will be there tomorrow.

Just found the news story about Dusty.....damn. I know too many people who have drowned....sucks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT