ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

IMG_3145.jpg

Toad Storm, eh?

How did a bottle of that make its way down to Florida - you have a family member visit or something?

Curious what you think. New Oberpfalz is basically my local - go there frequently. Toad Storm is a very good DIPA - I like it better fresh from the teet, as opposed to the bottle, but you should be ok freshness-wise (assuming this was from the most recent batch, and not the prior they brewed, which would probably have some age fatigue).

Toad Storm, eh?

How did a bottle of that make its way down to Florida - you have a family member visit or something?

Curious what you think. New Oberpfalz is basically my local - go there frequently. Toad Storm is a very good DIPA - I like it better fresh from the teet, as opposed to the bottle, but you should be ok freshness-wise (assuming this was from the most recent batch, and not the prior they brewed, which would probably have some age fatigue).

Yeah, my niece's husband (who lives in Crown Point) always sends me loads of New Oberpfalz and Three Floyds product, while I return the favor by sending him Funky Buddha, MIA, Cigar City, etc.

I'm in freaking LOVE with New Oberpfalz (especially Toad Storm) even though the guys who run the tiny Brew House seem like elitist pricks.

Oh and I'll add that while Toad Storm definitely IS better fresh, the bottled stuff holds up DAMN GOOD to my taste buds!

Just unbelievable stuff.

We're flying to NW Indiana on Friday morning and I'll be at New Oberpfalz on Friday night!

Yeah, my niece's husband (who lives in Crown Point) always sends me loads of New Oberpfalz and Three Floyds product, while I return the favor by sending him Funky Buddha, MIA, Cigar City, etc.

I'm in freaking LOVE with New Oberpfalz (especially Toad Storm) even though the guys who run the tiny Brew House seem like elitist pricks.

Oh and I'll add that while Toad Storm definitely IS better fresh, the bottled stuff holds up DAMN GOOD to my taste buds!

Just unbelievable stuff.

We're flying to NW Indiana on Friday morning and I'll be at New Oberpfalz on Friday night!
If I'm there I'll look for a damn handsome fella with a Florida tan. I'll be the damn handsome fella with no tan.

Reactions: plaxico80
Just happened to stop into one of my locals this afternoon to sneak one in before heading home.

Found some of this on tap. Might be a good weekend.

KBS.jpg

Reactions: LeConte
it is definitely stout and porter season...I wonder if the Hopheads hate it as much as I hate when the stouts and porters arent around

it is definitely stout and porter season...I wonder if the Hopheads hate it as much as I hate when the stouts and porters arent around

There are actually tremendous IPAs that usually come out now too...as all the years fresh hop crop is available.

I'm more of a hop head myself, but have been drinking a lot more stouts the last year.

Yeah, I wish 18th would hire a mouthpiece - they can't make even a good faith effort to make things right (bring back your bottle, full or empty, for a gift cert of the full amount of purchase) without coming off sounding like arrogant asspricks. Knowing what I know about them, I think part of that is just that they fly by the seat of their pants. The other part is that 18th is very much a one-person company - it's Drew Fox's vision and his baby, and he does not take well to someone second guessing his decisions, nor the quality of his beer, and maybe that is the arrogant part that emanates throughout their public voice.

All that said, I don't necessarily fault them for this beer going bad - it's barrel aged, and that process invites them nasty microbes necessary and naturally present in the brewing process to get funky. And that's not always a good or intentional thing, although that process is the genius of Belgian abbey-brewed beers, that really only air-borne on wild yeast, but I digress. Now, 18th has said that their lab work on the BA Hunter came back clean - once, twice, three times a lady, and yet they have an infection problem in what they describe as random bottles. They also had a problem with the last batch of coffee Hunter (not in one I sent your way, I don't think :) ), and so that would make one wonder. Coincidental, or? Now, if it happens a third time, then I would think they have a quality control issue.
18th, Sun King and FFF follow the long held tradition that any publicity is good publicity. Piss a few people off and be edgy but people are talking about you. Be vanilla and make good beer and no one cares about you.

In the beer industry, a good dose of "eff you" seems to help make your beer desirable.

visited Troeg brewery in Hersey, PA. Great place if you haven't been. They have 3-300 bbl foudres that are massive.

I couldn't bring myself to spend the dough for another 6 pack of Mad Elf but did enjoy a chocolate nitro stout and a growler of java porter for the road.

Reactions: cryano
I had The Bruery Mash & Vanilla yesterday while out and about. First time having one of their beers. If you enjoy Barleywines it is one to try.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
Lagunitas%2B12th%2Bof%2BNever%2BAle.jpg

Here's a new one, it seems, from Lagunitas. Only sold in 12 pack cans, their first canned offering....it's a very tasty APA/IPA. Heavily hopped up....they don't say what they use, but I recognize a lot of Citra.

About 5.5% and 50 IBU....perfectly balanced, very drinkable for having more than one.

Reactions: plaxico80
Hey @Heeoops Cat , either of these worth picking up?

Deal with the Devil is a great beer. Double pale ale with citra hops. Has a big body, which is necessary for 9.8% abv beer, but the citra hops give the beer a brightness you wouldn't expect at that abv. I love this beer - what's it priced per bottle? That's my only complaint - I think it was $13 or $14 / bomber up here? So, you're paing $6.50 or $7.00 per glass (for 11 oz) of this beer.

Steep.

Haven't had the Conclave (at least this version) but 18th does really good stouts. I would buy both, not considering a budget.

Deal with the Devil is a great beer. Double pale ale with citra hops. Has a big body, which is necessary for 9.8% abv beer, but the citra hops give the beer a brightness you wouldn't expect at that abv. I love this beer - what's it priced per bottle? That's my only complaint - I think it was $13 or $14 / bomber up here? So, you're paing $6.50 or $7.00 per glass (for 11 oz) of this beer.

Steep.

Haven't had the Conclave (at least this version) but 18th does really good stouts. I would buy both, not considering a budget.

I'll go by tomorrow and see....but yeah, I'm sure it's in that range. I'll give it a whirl if they still have it.

Sadly haven't seen any Perm Funeral bombers this fall down here.

So got the Twitter alert this evening from Kahns, that they got some of this in today.

Permanent+Funeral.jpg

I hadn't had it outside of a bar in about a year, so I promptly ran over and bought a few bombers.

Noticed that it was bottled 10/4/16. Wasn't crazy about that.....would have preferred fresher....but whatever.

Drinking one now.....my memory of this from last year is much different. Seems a much heavier malt backbone than I recall....and a lot less hop blast.

Apparently I'm fulll blown beer snob now, as this just tastes like another good double IPA. Not the incredible - I have to clone brew this - monster I remember from a year ago.

Reactions: ovaltine
So got the Twitter alert this evening from Kahns, that they got some of this in today.

Permanent+Funeral.jpg

I hadn't had it outside of a bar in about a year, so I promptly ran over and bought a few bombers.

Noticed that it was bottled 10/4/16. Wasn't crazy about that.....would have preferred fresher....but whatever.

Drinking one now.....my memory of this from last year is much different. Seems a much heavier malt backbone than I recall....and a lot less hop blast.

Apparently I'm fulll blown beer snob now, as this just tastes like another good double IPA. Not the incredible - I have to clone brew this - monster I remember from a year ago.
I don't think your memory is faulty - this beer can vary from batch to batch, unfortunately. I think sometimes it's the nature of the beast, given that hops aren't static from harvest to harvest, not to mention all the other variables in brewing, but my thought was exactly what you said - a way bigger malt backbone. That's an excellent description of the profile.

Reactions: twenty02
I don't think your memory is faulty - this beer can vary from batch to batch, unfortunately. I think sometimes it's the nature of the beast, given that hops aren't static from harvest to harvest, not to mention all the other variables in brewing, but my thought was exactly what you said - a way bigger malt backbone. That's an excellent description of the profile.

I'm glad it just wasn't me. This was disappointing to me. I can buy double IPAs any day, anywhere that could match/beat this version.

And to expand...I feel like FFFs brews have fallen down a notch or two over the last couple years. I know they have greatly expanded production, am wondering if that's catching up to them.

Honestly, I can homebrew 2XIPAs that are better....to my hop loving palate. The great thing about home brewing is you can go ridiculous with hop additions when only making 5 gallons. Something that's not rationale at a commercial level. You put enough mosaic or citra hops in a brew, it's going to be good, even if you **** up.

I'm glad it just wasn't me. This was disappointing to me. I can buy double IPAs any day, anywhere that could match/beat this version.

And to expand...I feel like FFFs brews have fallen down a notch or two over the last couple years. I know they have greatly expanded production, am wondering if that's catching up to them.

Honestly, I can homebrew 2XIPAs that are better....to my hop loving palate. The great thing about home brewing is you can go ridiculous with hop additions when only making 5 gallons. Something that's not rationale at a commercial level. You put enough mosaic or citra hops in a brew, it's going to be good, even if you **** up.
Not sure that it's the increase in production that caused the drop in perceived quality. If Floyds is increasing production, it's not of Permanent Funeral, it's the Zombie or other shelf beers that they are distributing. Scaling up is an issue in beer production, but I suspect that the difference in the PF was due to ingredients.

Not sure that it's the increase in production that caused the drop in perceived quality. If Floyds is increasing production, it's not of Permanent Funeral, it's the Zombie or other shelf beers that they are distributing. Scaling up is an issue in beer production, but I suspect that the difference in the PF was due to ingredients.

True. It's likely the massive increase in quality beer from others that just makes FFFs just another brewery, in my opinion.

8 years ago, they were heads and shoulders above everyone. Everyone has caught up.

So picked up some Dreadnaught tonight....was actually a better offering than PF. But in many ways, very similar. I don't think I could have blind tasted them and picked out which is which.

Regardless, FFF seems to be bringing a lot of supply into the Indy market over the last couple weeks. Have seen PF at 3 different shops, along with a lot of other bomber offerings from them.

Beers like gumballhead just sit, when they used to fly off shelves.

Still rarely a Zombie Dust, however.

So picked up some Dreadnaught tonight....was actually a better offering than PF. But in many ways, very similar. I don't think I could have blind tasted them and picked out which is which.

Regardless, FFF seems to be bringing a lot of supply into the Indy market over the last couple weeks. Have seen PF at 3 different shops, along with a lot of other bomber offerings from them.

Beers like gumballhead just sit, when they used to fly off shelves.

Still rarely a Zombie Dust, however.
Dreadnaught is excellent. I'm spoiled, because I can visit the pub at my leisure, but when they have it on, and it's a fresh-from-the-teet release? Nothing better, even fresh Permanent Funeral.

Dreadnaught is excellent. I'm spoiled, because I can visit the pub at my leisure, but when they have it on, and it's a fresh-from-the-teet release? Nothing better, even fresh Permanent Funeral.

Still haven't been to the tap room. Make many trips to Chicago, but have yet to fit it in on the way up. Too long a drive either coming or going Hopefully next year.

Still haven't been to the tap room. Make many trips to Chicago, but have yet to fit it in on the way up. Too long a drive either coming or going Hopefully next year.
I prefer to go in the mid afternoon, around 2:00ish, during the week (but not on Friday); it's after the opening / lunch rush, but before the after work crowd, and I can generally sit right at the bar. It's when the pub is at its most chill. Seemingly talk to someone either coming too or from somewhere else most every time I'm in there. Haven't had a pub day in a while, though - damn work!

Had to make a trip up to our Milwaukee office this week. Made a quick trip to Woodman's grocery store. Pretty impressed with their stock of beer and ales. I was on a mission for some holiday liquid candy.......

todd-the-axe-man-ipa-1-e2a12d53-59e1-403d-bf0a-c7597c314fd9.jpg

newglarusraspberrytart.jpg

McHoop

Had to make a trip up to our Milwaukee office this week. Made a quick trip to Woodman's grocery store. Pretty impressed with their stock of beer and ales. I was on a mission for some holiday liquid candy.......

todd-the-axe-man-ipa-1-e2a12d53-59e1-403d-bf0a-c7597c314fd9.jpg

newglarusraspberrytart.jpg

McHoop

NICE.

So the OTF is still chugging along??

I'm laid up after having a hernia surgery and reached out to ovaltine to chat beer so thought I'd drop in for a visit. Surprised my old log in worked. I could really go for a good beer but have to get off the narcotics first.

I'm laid up after having a hernia surgery and reached out to ovaltine to chat beer so thought I'd drop in for a visit. Surprised my old log in worked. I could really go for a good beer but have to get off the narcotics first.
Would a nut massage make you feel better?

42000.jpg

MTIOTF and Cap are approaching 41k.
& only 30k more to reach Aruss

Last edited:
Anyone else get the local Yuengling craze?
Its ok - but after about a month of having it readily available, I bet most return to their other domestic beers.
Reminds me a lot of the 'Fat Tire' explosion a couple years back.

Its ok - but after about a month of having it readily available, I bet most return to their other domestic beers.
Not sure how old you are, but back in the day it was a thing when you could get Coors, because it wasn't distributed east of the Mississippi. It's only desired because you can't get it, but all it is is an adjunct American lager. No better than, say, Pabst? Schlitz? etc.

Yuengling craze? I didn't realize there was a craze for a cheap beer that is ubiquitous in the east coast and Midwest.

Edit: fat tire is a very good beer that you can have a couple of, and not regret the morning after. My current favorite beer is from Fall Brewing and it's their Green Hat IPA. Since its from a local brewery in North Park San Diego, I'm not sure how readily available it is, but this beer is very good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT