ADVERTISEMENT

Baltimore bridge collapse

Because there aren’t enough of them that want to work, especially night construction

Mr. Balls, you're telling us you watched The Wire and your conclusion is that the people portrayed within just don't want to work? It wasn't that the fake war on drugs had so altered them and their families to the point where they couldn't function in "normal" society? hell, even the cops are dysfunctional in that regard and are portrayed as such.

you must have the director's cut box set. lol. send it over!

Mr. Balls, you're telling us you watched The Wire and your conclusion is that the people portrayed within just don't want to work? It wasn't that the fake war on drugs had so altered them and their families to the point where they couldn't function in "normal" society? hell, even the cops are dysfunctional in that regard and are portrayed as such.

Your take was that, if there wasn't a "fake" war on drugs, they would be hard-working citizens? You cannot be serious.

My conclusion is that Marlo Stanfield dealt with his opposition with too much of a heavy hand. Ultimately it ended him up in prison.

I thought Stringer Bell was the most prudent of all the the leaders, but he ended up dead.

So in conclusion, that are no guarantees on the streets. The game is the game.

• Love
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Your take was that, if there wasn't a "fake" war on drugs, they would be hard-working citizens? You cannot be serious.

yes, that is seriously what the series is about. Creators wanted to show how the fake war on drugs and the rotting out of city institutions was effecting the lives of people who work and live in west Baltimore. That's why they focused each season on an institution after the first. .

the illegal drug trade
the port system
the city government and bureaucracy
education and schools
and the print news medium

dude, you seriously thought it was a show about lazy people? that is awesome.

man, I don't agree with you often but I seriously admire your consistency. keep it simple: poor people are lazy and muslims are murderers. hard stop :p

Reactions: T.M.P.
yes, that is seriously what the series is about. Creators wanted to show how the fake war on drugs and the rotting out of city institutions was effecting the lives of people who work and live in west Baltimore. That's why they focused each season on an institution after the first. .

the illegal drug trade
the port system
the city government and bureaucracy
education and schools
and the print news medium

dude, you seriously thought it was a show about lazy people? that is awesome.

man, I don't agree with you often but I seriously admire your consistency. keep it simple: poor people are lazy and muslims are murderers. hard stop :p

I'll give you credit, you certainly like to twist your panties into a bunch for no reason. I didn't suggest the show was about anything other than what it is - the decay of a one great urban metro for various reasons. Saying the drug addicts and dealers are too lazy to do hard work, like construction, doesn't change the fact that the show is about their influence on societal demise.

I'll give you credit, you certainly like to twist your panties into a bunch for no reason. I didn't suggest the show was about anything other than what it is - the decay of a one great urban metro for various reasons. Saying the drug addicts and dealers are too lazy to do hard work, like construction, doesn't change the fact that the show is about their influence on societal demise.
you misread me. wasn't trying to be a d*ck. my bad.

That was exactly my point that Spartan seems to be taking issue with.
You are saying they are terrible jobs that the citizens will not do.

So let’s throw the noncitizens out there and make them do it.

I’m sure there are people in that county that are drawing unemployment…let’s have them do the work

I’m sure there are people in that county that are drawing unemployment…let’s have them do the work

Zeke is right here. These are not jobs that citizens want. Hard labor, in shitty conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow, etc.) is difficult enough, but to find night shift is nearly impossible anywhere. Many manufacturers would love to have a larger 2nd or 3rd shift, but cannot find people willing to work those hours.

Worker shortages and smaller families are why illegals have long (decades) been utilized to do farming across the country.

There is an inherent subset of people in this country who are unwilling to work in difficult circumstances (think roofers, window cleaners, etc.) and/or physically incapable (you can't pull any person to be in construction usually).

Zeke is right here. These are not jobs that citizens want. Hard labor, in shitty conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow, etc.) is difficult enough, but to find night shift is nearly impossible anywhere. Many manufacturers would love to have a larger 2nd or 3rd shift, but cannot find people willing to work those hours.

Worker shortages and smaller families are why illegals have long (decades) been utilized to do farming across the country.

There is an inherent subset of people in this country who are unwilling to work in difficult circumstances (think roofers, window cleaners, etc.) and/or physically incapable (you can't pull any person to be in construction usually).
My father worked 3rd shift in an underground coal mine until he retired at 67.

I’m sure he didn’t want to go to work…what the hell is the other option?

Live on the street?

Baltimore is heavily populated…shouldn’t be a problem to find citizens to do the work

Live on the street?

Baltimore is heavily populated…shouldn’t be a problem to find citizens to do the work

Times are different. Cultures are different. Context matters.

Reactions: zeke4ahs

Live on the street?

Where have you been in the last couple years? Tons of places are understaffed and not able to find workers. Restaurants, construction, all kinds of service industry, let alone tough working conditions.

Are we making the non citizens do it? Do you have a plan to MAKE citizens take those jobs?

We will just have to disagree. If the noncitizens weren’t here they would be able to hire a citizen to do the work.

At what price? Unemployment is still incredibly low. You aren't going to hire someone from the ghetto in Baltimore or drug-riddled Hagerstown to do the work. I'm not "for" illegal immigration, certainly the way it is, but the immigration system in this country is a huge mess.

How do you pay your bills without an income?

Unless you are saying that the county is fully employed.
Don’t know I have a job and pay my bills. Unemployment is at record low, but I don’t know where you’ve been if you haven’t read about the problem finding employees, especially for tough jobs the past couple years. Also people are making money at all kinds of untraditional things now, gaming, influencers, etc. Lots of people figured out other ways to make money during Covid.

Don’t know I have a job and pay my bills. Unemployment is at record low, but I don’t know where you’ve been if you haven’t read about the problem finding employees, especially for tough jobs the past couple years. Also people are making money at all kinds of untraditional things now, gaming, influencers, etc. Lots of people figured out other ways to make money during Covid.

Work was kind of slow last week so I did a little extra door dash and in like 22 hours, I made an extra $450+.

At what price? Unemployment is still incredibly low. You aren't going to hire someone from the ghetto in Baltimore or drug-riddled Hagerstown to do the work. I'm not "for" illegal immigration, certainly the way it is, but the immigration system in this country is a huge mess.
Obviously, I don’t know the employer. State, city, county, contractor? I also don’t know the pay scale. If they are setting the pay rate too low knowing all they will get is noncitizens…then I see that as a bug not a feature.

Covid changed a lot of us…myself included. I look at things a lot differently than I did before Covid hit.

I now support some healthcare spending, some entitlement spending, some safety net. I was for the most part a hard no on those things

Hard labor, in shitty conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow, etc.)
Obviously not one person here has ever worked for a municipality or state highway. Hard labor..... effing priceless. Hard labor went out the window decades ago. Harder than welfare, check! Harder than selling crack, check. Harder than being a sorority house mom..... ummm... check.
the shovel has been replaced with a mini excavator. The jack hammer has been replaced by a mini excavator with a jack hammer attached to it. Shovels exist to lean on, in 95% of the job. Coffee breaks are 45 min long in many times and much of the work day is driving around looking for potential projects that need planned out.
NOT to diminish these poor souls that perished, but 2 so far was setting in their truck. I did it myself when I actually work on the street department. I mean them ZERO ill will and pray for their families.
Much of the times, the dirtiest they one gets on a daily bases is washing or greasing the equipment, or dump cold covfefe on their uniform.
Again, nothing but respect for these guys. But lets not fool ourselves with all of this BS talk from progressive cooler swill that wants to make these jobs out to be the 13 yr old India kids barefoot in a steel mill.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Obviously, I don’t know the employer. State, city, county, contractor? I also don’t know the pay scale. If they are setting the pay rate too low knowing all they will get is noncitizens…then I see that as a bug not a feature.

Usually that type of construction is low bid work done by private contractors.

Usually that type of construction is low bid work done by private contractors.
Which are very much of the time union laborers and operators. Laborers make between $20 and $36/ hr. Operators slightly more and they don't even grease or clean their own equipment. I've got 2 SON in law's that do this, and multiple friends/ sons/ daughters of friends that do it. Is it desk duty with your socks off, no. Is it the naked women in el salvador cutting coke... most of the time, also no. My #1 SIL was on the union carpenter crew for Kroger, Making $32/ hour, working 3rd shift. Hardest thing he did was assemble shelves or displays that are pre engineered, put slot A into tab B, just like the old Mad MAgazine.

Reactions: Spartans9312
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT