ADVERTISEMENT

Ball State @ Lucas Oil

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
What would you consider a good crowd size for this game?
If Ball St brings 5-6 thousand I could see maybe 50,000 total.
Lots to do downtown Indy on Labor Day weekend.
I think a night game would help with crowd size.

I think a night game would help with crowd size.

The 2011 game (Wilson's first game as an IU coach) drew 40,000.

Edward Wright-Baker got the start.
Went 20-32 for 272 yards 1 TD
Ran 10 times for a net 12.

Steven Houston and Matt Perez combined for 84 yards on 21 carries

Dre Muhammed, Demarlo Belcher, Kofi Hughes, Shane Wynn and Cody Latimer all had catches.

We lost 27-20.

My guess 50000 ish. But Ball st. gets crushed 45-13. They lost a lot on offense from last year. I think we dominate the trenches in this one.

I think a night game would help with crowd size.[/Q
UOTE]
I was at the last game and plan to attend the upcoming game. It was a Christmas present from my wife. I would prefer a 7PM kickoff time. If it's a day time game I suspect the crowd will be 40-45. A night game around 50-52. Looking forward to getting off to a good start on the season unlike the last time.

No wonder Bloomington businesses hate IU....does anyone actually get who gets helped and who gets hurt every time a home game is moved out of town? I frigging give up on this site...

It’s a BSU home game.

Yep.

I didn’t realize it until I called the ticket office and they told me I had to contact Ball State for tickets. IU will get a few hundred as a “Visitor” allotment. After that, the free market will tell the tale.

Yep.

I didn’t realize it until I called the ticket office and they told me I had to contact Ball State for tickets. IU will get a few hundred as a “Visitor” allotment. After that, the free market will tell the tale.
Or you can wait and get them at the Box office on game day I’m sure.

Yep, IU got pretty good deal from BSU, 2 home games and an Essentially neutral site game in a convenient location for IU fans

Will be interesting to see the "37" complaints from Bloomington folks traveling south to north.

Wonder if they will match the Northern folks who had to drive south to Bloomington?

They will be a dreadful team with all their defections
I know I cringe thinking about it. I remember when Hoke was there they went 12-1 in 2008. They've had some decent teams throughout the years. They sure did give ND a scare last year. The defensive line had the ND QB running for his life. Anyways I have no clue how the new coach is going to deal with the loss from 9 transfers. That said there should be a limit or something jeez!

Will be interesting to see the "37" complaints from Bloomington folks traveling south to north.

Wonder if they will match the Northern folks who had to drive south to Bloomington?
Most of us folks in Bloomington drive north to Indy or beyond on a regular basis. No big deal. Plus the construction on section 5 is complete and they have not started section 6 yet. So you will probably not see any comments.

Reactions: SBendguy
Neu is not a "new" coach LOL in fact he is on the hot seat this year.
I know I cringe thinking about it. I remember when Hoke was there they went 12-1 in 2008. They've had some decent teams throughout the years. They sure did give ND a scare last year. The defensive line had the ND QB running for his life. Anyways I have no clue how the new coach is going to deal with the loss from 9 transfers. That said there should be a limit or something jeez!

Neu is not a "new" coach LOL in fact he is on the hot seat this year.
Funny I assumed there was a new coach because of the fallout but its the same guy. I would say the seat is boiling now :)

It’s a BSU home game.

Yep.

True but IU only has 6 home games, one less than most power 5s.... again.

They will be a dreadful team with all their defections

Ball State might just be better than at a distance it would first appear...

They have some talent on D that caused Notre Dame more than a few problems.

Per this article they have some depth at QB:
https://www.ballstatedaily.com/article/2018/12/ball-state-sports-football-who-starts-at-quarterback

I'd expect BSU to bring in some talented grad transfers that we wouldn't even look at due to past character issues (as they have in the past).

Up front on both sides of the ball is where we'll have to win this game.

MAC teams are always going to be able to find someone to chuck it, catch it and run it. They may be smaller but they find ways to make plays.

A lot of those 9 guys who transferred were no longer starting. I worry about the guys that beat them out...

If we take any team, but particularly a MAC team, lightly we'll be looking at a big L early in the year... (in my opinion)

Reactions: ESalum86
If we struggle with BSU or our other 2 nonconference teams that were a combined 4 and 19 there is "trouble on river city"

Reactions: Indianaftw
Our non-con games are scheduled well in advance- long before the conference decided to play 9 games. When this game was contracted, we likely didn't know this would be a 4 home game BT season. And we're not in a strong enough position to be able to refuse compromises on scheduling. At least it's an easy access road game.
That said, I expect us to make the adjustments so that future schedules have 7 home games.

If we struggle with BSU or our other 2 nonconference teams that were a combined 4 and 19 there is "trouble on river city"

I don't know what you might consider struggling against them but I can tell you that they made the ND faithful uncomfortable up at ND last year...

If we take any team lightly (especially a MAC team [who have a long history of upsetting Big Team foes]) we'll be looking at an early L...

////Not a MAC team but even Eastern Illinois has a QB who might give us some trouble.////

The days of scheduled W's is pretty much over. With transfers from FBS schools even a few of the FCS teams are capable of surprising the big guys...

We should win (on paper, talent wise) but it doesn't mean we will win.

This (the Ball State game) could turn out to be one of the most interesting games of the season.

Neu (Ball State's coach) has to have a winning record this season or he may be looking at the unemployment line...

Allen can't afford to have us drop this one or the naysayers will jump on Fred's head with both feet.

There's some serious pressure to win this game on both coaches...

Ball State has one of those hard to gauge teams. They've weathered multiple key injuries over the past 2 years...,and.., the payoff for them there is that they've accidentally created experienced depth after their young guys were forced to play early and often...

Ball State's record over the past two years was definitely affected by all those key injuries, so using that record as a predictor of things to come may well not be a very accurate a barometer...

I hope I'm wrong and we're up by 60+ at half (and we may be) but these guys (Ball State) might just give us a lot more trouble than anyone expects them to...

I'll be happy with a simple W in all of our non-conference games. Style points don't matter to me. I want to see W's......

Last edited:
Hopefully there will be some bus packages available to students to get more up here. There won't be 50k without a bunch if students. $25 round trip including ticket. AD covers the rest,

Reactions: Courtsensethree
Hopefully there will be some bus packages available to stupidness to get more up here. There won't be 50k without a bunch if students. $25 round trip including ticket. AD covers the rest,

At first I was going to say it'll never happen but more likely someone in the Athletic Department will come up with a perfectly good package deal but no one in the Athletic Department will bother to advertise it until 2-3 days prior to the event :eek:(then they'll wonder why no one took them up on the offer...):(

Reactions: indy1203
At first I was going to say it'll never happen but more likely someone in the Athletic Department will come up with a perfectly good package deal but no one in the Athletic Department will bother to advertise it until 2-3 days prior to the event :eek:(then they'll wonder why no one took them up on the offer...):(

I can't believe autocorrect changed students to stupidness.

Our non-con games are scheduled well in advance- long before the conference decided to play 9 games. When this game was contracted, we likely didn't know this would be a 4 home game BT season. And we're not in a strong enough position to be able to refuse compromises on scheduling. At least it's an easy access road game.
That said, I expect us to make the adjustments so that future schedules have 7 home games.
Only problem with this is IU also only had seasons with 6 home games before the league changed schedule

Stand by my post
I don't know what you might consider struggling against them but I can tell you that they made the ND faithful uncomfortable up at ND last year...

If we take any team lightly (especially a MAC team [who have a long history of upsetting Big Team foes]) we'll be looking at an early L...

////Not a MAC team but even Eastern Illinois has a QB who might give us some trouble.////

The days of scheduled W's is pretty much over. With transfers from FBS schools even a few of the FCS teams are capable of surprising the big guys...

We should win (on paper, talent wise) but it doesn't mean we will win.

This (the Ball State game) could turn out to be one of the most interesting games of the season.

Neu (Ball State's coach) has to have a winning record this season or he may be looking at the unemployment line...

Allen can't afford to have us drop this one or the naysayers will jump on Fred's head with both feet.

There's some serious pressure to win this game on both coaches...

Ball State has one of those hard to gauge teams. They've weathered multiple key injuries over the past 2 years...,and.., the payoff for them there is that they've accidentally created experienced depth after their young guys were forced to play early and often...

Ball State's record over the past two years was definitely affected by all those key injuries, so using that record as a predictor of things to come may well not be a very accurate a barometer...

I hope I'm wrong and we're up by 60+ at half (and we may be) but these guys (Ball State) might just give us a lot more trouble than anyone expects them to...

I'll be happy with a simple W in all of our non-conference games. Style points don't matter to me. I want to see W's......

I'm sure.

No way Indianapolis fills the stadium for IU/Ball State.
Just checked ticket vendors $70-100/ticket now.
236.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT