ADVERTISEMENT

Bagehot was wrong - the Brits are crazy

meh, that’s an inaccurate explanation imo, but what do I know

JDB, yep only a smidgen of truth in my explanation. The Thai lady seemingly accepting it as a fact illustrates how trying to be humorous can backfire.

Once hearing "Now I understand" I just dropped the subject.

Last edited:
so if I’m understanding you correctly, voters didn’t have as much of a problem with Truss as MPs? If that’s the case, is the media going after the MPs too?
They might have a problem with her now, I don't know. But BoJo won an election. The MPs forced him out. MPs rallied around Sunak, but the final round went to the Conservative membership, and they voted heavily for Truss. Now the MPs are forcing her out. BoJo has ruled himself out, so it's basically a two-horse race between Sunak, whom the MPs want, and Mordaunt, who finished 3rd last time, and is likely to gather the anti-Sunak vote that otherwise would go to someone like Truss or BoJo.

If there's a vote. I'm not 100% clear on the procedure this time around - the 1922 Committee which sets the rules for Conservative party leadership can pretty much write them as they go - but if the MPs send Sunak as an overwhelming favorite against Mordaunt to the membership at large, there's a very real chance that the party will select Mordaunt, and she'll step right into the same place Truss did: trying to lead a mutinous group of MPs that don't really want her there.

To underline my original point in starting this thread, I have personally argued several times on this forum that the parliamentary system is superior to the presidential one for numerous reasons. The chaos currently happening in the Conservative party is the counterargument to what I've said in the past.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Went to private school, then Oxford and Stanford
Worked for hedge funds
Best part of a billionaire

He's certainly from a minority background.

America really is one giant "I told you so" on the rest of the Western world.

Except for healthcare delivery, the War on Drugs, primary school education, soccer
And yet they're coming here illegally by the millions.

Reactions: Crayfish57
They might have a problem with her now, I don't know. But BoJo won an election. The MPs forced him out. MPs rallied around Sunak, but the final round went to the Conservative membership, and they voted heavily for Truss. Now the MPs are forcing her out. BoJo has ruled himself out, so it's basically a two-horse race between Sunak, whom the MPs want, and Mordaunt, who finished 3rd last time, and is likely to gather the anti-Sunak vote that otherwise would go to someone like Truss or BoJo.

If there's a vote. I'm not 100% clear on the procedure this time around - the 1922 Committee which sets the rules for Conservative party leadership can pretty much write them as they go - but if the MPs send Sunak as an overwhelming favorite against Mordaunt to the membership at large, there's a very real chance that the party will select Mordaunt, and she'll step right into the same place Truss did: trying to lead a mutinous group of MPs that don't really want her there.

To underline my original point in starting this thread, I have personally argued several times on this forum that the parliamentary system is superior to the presidential one for numerous reasons. The chaos currently happening in the Conservative party is the counterargument to what I've said in the past.
I don't see this chaos as that big a deal for Britain. Truss was awful and unqualified. Imagine if this system were in place when Trump was elected (or now Biden if you're a con).

The Brexit ordeal was worse, in my mind. Not having a firm footing on what to do after the Brexit vote is going to haunt the UK for decades.

Each system has strengths and weaknesses. Each produces less than ideal leaders.

Republicans engaging in class warfare.

f07203eb299b1e0b0e9845acb3e8ae9a.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT