ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Coaching Hot Seat

It would surprise me if Caleb Love cared about graduating from UM..."Caleb, you can come here, but half your UNC credits we can't transfer, so you'll either have to take easy classes and get a general studies degree, or take some classes that will transfer back to UNC, and you'll have to finish there after you're done playing." With the right NIL package, I strongly suspect that Love would have jumped at this opportunity. If graduating was any sort of driving factor here, he would have stayed at UNC and graduated. NIL, and probably NBA prep, drove his decision to leave. He ultimately chose Michigan, after a decent amount of time making the decision. If the NIL and NBA prep stuff were good enough to make him choose them, and they presented him with the same options they did Hinton...you think he turned THAT scenario down?

In the end...I do now think you guys are probably right, and I'm wrong...just playing devils advocate. I have a very cynical view of big time college athletics programs using academics as any sort of reason for not taking high level athletes. And we already have evidence that UM bball is behind other major bball programs with regards to NIL money.
I’m sure he cared about it but he was giving up too much.

I have a very cynical view of big time college athletics programs using academics as any sort of reason for not taking high level athletes. And we already have evidence that UM bball is behind other major bball programs with regards to NIL money.
Yeah, and I suppose that mirrors the comment I made way earlier in the thread.

I don’t like MI, at all…but.

I commend them for:
At least showing some attention to academics here AND for being “behind” in NIL. It’s refreshing to see a program with the booster resources that they have not having the best team that money can buy.

I’m still no fan of theirs, but in the age of NIL who I root against the most will be dictated largely by who spends the most money.

Yeah, and I suppose that mirrors the comment I made way earlier on the thread.

I commend them for:
At least showing some attention to academics here AND for being “behind” I’m NIL. It’s refreshing to see a program with the resources that they have not having the best team that money can buy.

I’m still no fan of theirs, but in the age of NIL who I root against the most will be who spends the most money.
Oh I don't give Michigan, as a whole, any credit for being "behind"...as I think it just means all their massive amounts of resources and money, are being directed towards football.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Yeah, and I suppose that mirrors the comment I made way earlier in the thread.

I commend them for:
At least showing some attention to academics here AND for being “behind” in NIL. It’s refreshing to see a program with the booster resources that they have not having the best team that money can buy.

I’m still no fan of theirs, but in the age of NIL who I root against the most will be dictated largely by who spends the most money.
Crazy how that kid “big z” is being blocked from UK over academics. UK fans are now calling the admissions office screaming at them. 🤣🤣🤣 🛋️ aren’t safe in eastern Kentucky.

It would surprise me if Caleb Love cared about graduating from UM..."Caleb, you can come here, but half your UNC credits we can't transfer, so you'll either have to take easy classes and get a general studies degree, or take some classes that will transfer back to UNC, and you'll have to finish there after you're done playing." With the right NIL package, I strongly suspect that Love would have jumped at this opportunity. If graduating was any sort of driving factor here, he would have stayed at UNC and graduated. NIL, and probably NBA prep, drove his decision to leave. He ultimately chose Michigan, after a decent amount of time making the decision. If the NIL and NBA prep stuff were good enough to make him choose them, and they presented him with the same options they did Hinton...you think he turned THAT scenario down?

In the end...I do now think you guys are probably right, and I'm wrong...just playing devils advocate. I have a very cynical view of big time college athletics programs using academics as any sort of reason for not taking high level athletes. And we already have evidence that UM bball is behind other major bball programs with regards to NIL money.
Do you ever think that Arizona alums or fans hate the idea that a player can't transfer to Michigan because of standards but he can transfer to UA?

Do you ever think that Arizona alums or fans hate the idea that a player can't transfer to Michigan because of standards but he can transfer to UA?
What if he would have chosen IU? I didn't want Love in the first place, but if Love was Knecht, Ledlum, or Timberlake...and he got denied by Michigan and ended up at IU as a result, I would have been ecstatic.

After watching just a few minutes of Arizona vs Duke, Im comfortable we didnt land Caleb Love.
Maybe he lights it up for them over time but he doesnt look like he'd be a good fit for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT