ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn - Atl?

Traffic is a huge meh to me. Just try going east to west during rush hour. Impossible.

The downtown (uptown) is walkable and pretty nice. I've been to a few concerts there, and the Knight's game. Parking is insane for the Panthers.
North Davidson is fun. Neighborhood Theater, Evening Muse, Cabo Fish Taco and Haberdish are all good... South End too, but it's a much younger crowd... Old Mecklenburg is good though. Knight Theater has good shows downtown and I like taking the train into town when I can. Whitewater Center, Anne Springs Greenway, Carrigan Farms, Raptor Center... There's quite a bit to do, but it doesn't all involve drinking, which is good by me!

PS, and it's different, but give King of Fire pizza truck a try if you can find one near you! It's a thin, brick-oven pizza, but it's good!

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Get up there for a football game if you can too! I know they host ECU, and that's already an impossible ticket to get. Think Coastal is there and that would be a good one too! I'll be up there for the ECU game weekend... Parent's weekend also and they can't even get tix!
I'd love to do that. I assume there's a secondary market for tickets.

I did go to the Wake Forest game when IU played there several years ago and enjoyed it. They're not real serious about their football - kind of like IU without the great tailgate scene. And their stadium is nice.

George Leach had his food truck up there, serving IU fans. Great BBQ!

Reactions: jaygyure and 76-1
North Davidson is fun. Neighborhood Theater, Evening Muse, Cabo Fish Taco and Haberdish are all good... South End too, but it's a much younger crowd... Old Mecklenburg is good though. Knight Theater has good shows downtown and I like taking the train into town when I can. Whitewater Center, Anne Springs Greenway, Carrigan Farms, Raptor Center... There's quite a bit to do, but it doesn't all involve drinking, which is good by me!

PS, and it's different, but give King of Fire pizza truck a try if you can find one near you! It's a thin, brick-oven pizza, but it's good!
Olde Meck is my go-to place to take people visiting. I absolutely love that beer garden - very authentic.

I've also been to Haberdish. Very good. Quirky, but I like it. That whole NoDa area is pretty cool. I saw a concert at that theater - Junior Brown. Fantastic - good venue - reminds me of a larger Bluebird. I heard it got sold, though, and they're putting another building there.

Saw Taj Mahal and Los Lobas at the Knight theater this summer (I think it was the Knight and not the Belk).

Whitewater Center is fantastic. Went there this summer and was very impressed.

I will check out King of Fire pizza. It's a food truck? There is a food truck I first found in Matthews called Strudelteig. Run by an Austrian guy and his schnitzels are totally authentic. He's got a pretzel melt that is also awesome.

I rag on Charlotte, but it's got some good spots. Close to us we have a dive bar called Stooge's. They always have bands and it's a good place to experience some good NC red-neck culture (not much different than Indiana, really).

I'd love to do that. I assume there's a secondary market for tickets.

I did go to the Wake Forest game when IU played there several years ago and enjoyed it. They're not real serious about their football - kind of like IU without the great tailgate scene. And their stadium is nice.

George Leach had his food truck up there, serving IU fans. Great BBQ!
yeah, I've had Georges BBQ and met him. It was funny getting a pic of him at 7' w my daughter, who is like 5'2".

Never been to a Wake fball game, but as I've said, I've seen IU there a couple times in bball, and I was actually at the first game ever in their arena, many moons ago... Think they played ODU? Just happened to be in Winston that night for work. My neighbor is a Wake grad and goes up to the fball games and it looks/sounds like a good environment, but not "big-time" college fball, even though they've been sneaky good in the ACC for years now.

I've been wanting to go to a Va Tech game... think it would be awesome to be in the seats when they play Enter Sandman. Also need to hit USC. Been to Clemson a couple times but not during the Dabo era, but that will always be a great environment, and they are die-hards.

Reactions: DANC
Olde Meck is my go-to place to take people visiting. I absolutely love that beer garden - very authentic.

I've also been to Haberdish. Very good. Quirky, but I like it. That whole NoDa area is pretty cool. I saw a concert at that theater - Junior Brown. Fantastic - good venue - reminds me of a larger Bluebird. I heard it got sold, though, and they're putting another building there.

Saw Taj Mahal and Los Lobas at the Knight theater this summer (I think it was the Knight and not the Belk).

Whitewater Center is fantastic. Went there this summer and was very impressed.

I will check out King of Fire pizza. It's a food truck? There is a food truck I first found in Matthews called Strudelteig. Run by an Austrian guy and his schnitzels are totally authentic. He's got a pretzel melt that is also awesome.

I rag on Charlotte, but it's got some good spots. Close to us we have a dive bar called Stooge's. They always have bands and it's a good place to experience some good NC red-neck culture (not much different than Indiana, really).
Yeah, I like Neighborhood Theater and there are some good shows coming up there: Driv'n N Cryin, is the end of this month. Fun college band in the SE... any UNC folks you know who were there in the 90s will know them. I'm probably going to that with some of my poker friends if you want to join. Lucero, Brent Cobb, Gaelic Storm all late Oct/Nov. Man, I wanted to see Taj Mahal, and sorry I missed it. WWC is hard to beat on a night when they are having music... great lawn and food and beer right there. Skyla is a good venue too and they get good acts there... I saw Tyler Childers in Raleigh Sunday, but he just had 2 shows there this week.

King of Fire is a food truck and they've got a few now I think, so you should be able to find them. If you want to come down to Rock Hill, they, and several others are probably at the First Friday in Rock Hill. I love German food, so I'll have to run down the Strudelteig truck!

yeah, I've had Georges BBQ and met him. It was funny getting a pic of him at 7' w my daughter, who is like 5'2".

Never been to a Wake fball game, but as I've said, I've seen IU there a couple times in bball, and I was actually at the first game ever in their arena, many moons ago... Think they played ODU? Just happened to be in Winston that night for work. My neighbor is a Wake grad and goes up to the fball games and it looks/sounds like a good environment, but not "big-time" college fball, even though they've been sneaky good in the ACC for years now.

I've been wanting to go to a Va Tech game... think it would be awesome to be in the seats when they play Enter Sandman. Also need to hit USC. Been to Clemson a couple times but not during the Dabo era, but that will always be a great environment, and they are die-hards.
I went to Clemson a few years ago when IU opened the baseball season there. Went dressed in IU gear, of course.

We got absolutely whacked. I think they scored over 20 runs. It was awful. The place was packed - very nice baseball stadium - on the level of a good minor league team.

I've got bad juju from Va Tech. I was there at the Poulon Weed Eater Bowl in Shrevesport in 1993 when our football fortunes turned to shit in less than 2 minutes at the end of the first half. Went from a comfortable lead to being down and then got pounded. Mallory's teams were never the same after that. Someone from Va Teach must have cursed us.

Yeah, I like Neighborhood Theater and there are some good shows coming up there: Driv'n N Cryin, is the end of this month. Fun college band in the SE... any UNC folks you know who were there in the 90s will know them. I'm probably going to that with some of my poker friends if you want to join. Lucero, Brent Cobb, Gaelic Storm all late Oct/Nov. Man, I wanted to see Taj Mahal, and sorry I missed it. WWC is hard to beat on a night when they are having music... great lawn and food and beer right there. Skyla is a good venue too and they get good acts there... I saw Tyler Childers in Raleigh Sunday, but he just had 2 shows there this week.

King of Fire is a food truck and they've got a few now I think, so you should be able to find them. If you want to come down to Rock Hill, they, and several others are probably at the First Friday in Rock Hill. I love German food, so I'll have to run down the Strudelteig truck!
Taj was great, but he's getting up there. I really went to see Los Lobos and wasn't disappointed. One of the best shows I've seen in a long, long time. I don't know their music that well, but it didn't matter - they are fantastic live. If you ever get a chance, you should go.

What day is Driv'n N Cryin? (I can look it up) I'm going to Indiana at the end of the month to watch IU get killed by O$U. Plan to meet up with Hooky for Thai in Westfield.

Reactions: kkott
Plan to meet up with Hooky for Thai in Westfield
food or women?

Drivn' N Cryin is Thurday Aug 31 @ 8pm. Straight to Hell and Fly Me Courageous are their best known songs, if you don't know them. Fun live band and they're still popular in the SE. Should be a fun show. Seen 'em twice and had fun both times.

Bloomington native and Auburn grad here. I might be able ti get a lresale code. Any idea on the cost of tickets?

Bloomington native and Auburn grad here. I might be able ti get a lresale code. Any idea on the cost of tickets?
You can check through Auburn, but the IU site said $60 for a lower level ticket; but of course they've not been distributed yet. We went ahead and bought some through the presale registration code they had on the site (Holiday Hoopsgiving?) and got some lower level tickets for $40 each, but of course they wound up at $64 each with all the fees and taxes. The downside is they aren't in a great location (kind of an end, not near mid court) and we won't be in the IU group, but we just wanted to get them so we had tickets for everyone. It already showed all the lower level sections as unavailable and I would assume those are the blocks each school got, so I'm hoping we're on the IU side, but I have it on good authority that IU fans will outnumber Auburn fans, so I'm sure we'll have Hoosiers nearby!

Anyone else get tickets yet? We're in section 103. Still haven't seen a game time, but hoping for late afternoon or early evening. Maybe a pregame meet up? Anyone have suggestions for where nearby?

Last edited:
You can check through Auburn, but the IU site said $60 for a lower level ticket; but of course they've not been distributed yet. We went ahead and bought some through the presale registration code they had on the site (Holiday Hoopsgiving?) and got some lower level tickets for $40 each, but of course they wound up at $64 each with all the fees and taxes. The downside is they aren't in a great location (kind of an end, not near mid court) and we won't be in the IU group, but we just wanted to get them so we had tickets for everyone. It already showed all the lower level sections as unavailable and I would assume those are the blocks each school got, so I'm hoping we're on the IU side, but I have it on good authority that IU fans will outnumber Auburn fans, so I'm sure we'll have Hoosiers nearby!

Anyone else get tickets yet? We're in section 103. Still haven't seen a game time, but hoping for late afternoon or early evening. Maybe a pregame meet up? Anyone have suggestions for where nearby?
I ordered 6 through IU. I doubt we know where for a couple months.

I need advice. I put myself on the IU list for tickets to the Auburn game. I wanted to sit in the IU section. In terms of IU prioritizing, I'm at the bottom of the list. I'm not an alumnus and I live in Atlanta. How soon will IU declare who wins? I'm also on the promoter's list. My take is that I should drop IU and go with the promoter and wind up sitting in the Mississippi State section. Any advice?

I need advice. I put myself on the IU list for tickets to the Auburn game. I wanted to sit in the IU section. In terms of IU prioritizing, I'm at the bottom of the list. I'm not an alumnus and I live in Atlanta. How soon will IU declare who wins? I'm also on the promoter's list. My take is that I should drop IU and go with the promoter and wind up sitting in the Mississippi State section. Any advice?
I was in the same boat, and still have my name on the IU list, because I assume they'll confirm before just ordering, but we went ahead and just got them through the Hoopsgiving website. They are lower level, but not near center court (I assume those are reserved for the schools and are some of the ones IU has). But we had a pretty large group and only a fraction of us are IU grads (going with friends and spouses), so we opted for the proverbial bird in the hand. On a clockface, they are lower level (Section 103) but would be at about 10 oclock if the clockface started at center court. Not behind a basket, but between those and the more center court sections. You could do what I did and keep your name on the IU list for the minimum # of seats you need and see what happens. I felt like since it was just an early commitment list, I assume they'll notify us if we got tix to see if we still want them before just billing us (can't remember, did we have to give a cc#?). My 2 cents... I like you felt I'd be far down the alumnus pecking order. I'm a grad, but never had season tix and been a haphazard contributor.

I was in the same boat, and still have my name on the IU list, because I assume they'll confirm before just ordering, but we went ahead and just got them through the Hoopsgiving website. They are lower level, but not near center court (I assume those are reserved for the schools and are some of the ones IU has). But we had a pretty large group and only a fraction of us are IU grads (going with friends and spouses), so we opted for the proverbial bird in the hand. On a clockface, they are lower level (Section 103) but would be at about 10 oclock if the clockface started at center court. Not behind a basket, but between those and the more center court sections. You could do what I did and keep your name on the IU list for the minimum # of seats you need and see what happens. I felt like since it was just an early commitment list, I assume they'll notify us if we got tix to see if we still want them before just billing us (can't remember, did we have to give a cc#?). My 2 cents... I like you felt I'd be far down the alumnus pecking order. I'm a grad, but never had season tix and been a haphazard contributor.
You were smart. Depending on your VC point level, the seats could be marginal. Promoters for these events always have a lot of cherry seats reserved for their own corporate sales and often you can pick those up at or close to face. I don't believe this will be essentially an AU home crowd as was suggested elsewhere so there will be seats

Reactions: DANC and kkott

I didn't see anything through Auburn on their website. I got an IU season ticket holder reserving tickets for me. I'll probably just buy some when I can. I would think they'd confirm before charging anything.

I didn't see anything through Auburn on their website. I got an IU season ticket holder reserving tickets for me. I'll probably just buy some when I can. I would think they'd confirm before charging anything.
They've been on sale for awhile now through the Hoopsgiving site. Bought mine like a week and a half ago.

Late to the thread and too lazy to read through all of @Kellerdog's tripe gibberish, did anyone decide on a place to meet up for a brewskie or two before this game?

Late to the thread and too lazy to read through all of @Kellerdog's tripe gibberish, did anyone decide on a place to meet up for a brewskie or two before this game?
Not many good options close to the arena that I see, so hoping someone with some local ATL knowledge will chime in. There's a sports bar at the Omni called Top Draft that to me looks like the best bet from the map, but $8/9 beers and looks like a fairly small hotel type bar. There's a Reverb by Hard Rock hotel that says it has a bar and roof top bar, but looks maybe a little farther and no idea about those. Other ideas?

Last edited:
I was on the IU list for tickets. Actually I was probably the last one on the list since I am not an alumnus and don't donate (But I have been an IU basketball fan since the mid-1950's).

I removed myself from the list and bought 2 from Ticketmaster. I just didn't believe IU would get down to me. There are tickets available on Ticketmaster. My take is that tickets are selling fast for an event that is 3 months into the future.

For those looking for a place to meet up before the game, I suggest choosing a watering hole in the Omni Hotel complex. State Farm Arena is part of this complex. Meeting elsewhere presents too many logistical problems getting to the game. I'm sorry I don't have a bar to recommend. I've been boycotting the arena since the Thrashers were stolen by Winnipeg. Though I'm not Irish, I carry a grudge.

I was on the IU list for tickets. Actually I was probably the last one on the list since I am not an alumnus and don't donate (But I have been an IU basketball fan since the mid-1950's).

I removed myself from the list and bought 2 from Ticketmaster. I just didn't believe IU would get down to me. There are tickets available on Ticketmaster. My take is that tickets are selling fast for an event that is 3 months into the future.

For those looking for a place to meet up before the game, I suggest choosing a watering hole in the Omni Hotel complex. State Farm Arena is part of this complex. Meeting elsewhere presents too many logistical problems getting to the game. I'm sorry I don't have a bar to recommend. I've been boycotting the arena since the Thrashers were stolen by Winnipeg. Though I'm not Irish, I carry a grudge.
I don't know any of the landscape down there, but when I looked awhile ago, here's what I came up with:

There's a sports bar at the Omni called Top Draft that to me looks like the best bet from the map, but $8/9 beers and looks like a fairly small hotel type bar.

Noticed that they've posted a game time: 2pm. How many folks are interested in meeting up before the game? Maybe meet at 11:30 or noon at that Top Draft bar at the Omni? Hooky, Dan, Mo, Fred, Keller... who all is going to be down there?

Noticed that they've posted a game time: 2pm. How many folks are interested in meeting up before the game? Maybe meet at 11:30 or noon at that Top Draft bar at the Omni? Hooky, Dan, Mo, Fred, Keller... who all is going to be down there?
Sounds like a plan to me!

I'll be there - staying at Omni as well

100% has to be State Farm. Theres a big group of IU alumni down there, IU fans will be the majority for sure
Most everybody here HATES Awwwwwburn. I can’t imagine a ton of support for them. I will be going to this game, and I can’t see this anywhere other than State Farm arena.

Reactions: jaygyure
Most everybody here HATES Awwwwwburn. I can’t imagine a ton of support for them. I will be going to this game, and I can’t see this anywhere other than State Farm arena.
Definitely State Farm Arena. See everybody there. Go Hoosiers!!!!

I'm definitely making plans to get down to this game. Wondering how many other folks from the board might; especially those ex-pats living in the South? DanC, Hooky, Cav? Who all is making plans to head down? Anyone heard on the venue or time? Kind of hoping for an evening game and maybe we could set a tailgate at a sports bar nearby? Assuming tix would have to go on sale in the next month or 2.
My son and are I already have tics and hotel!

I'm definitely making plans to get down to this game. Wondering how many other folks from the board might; especially those ex-pats living in the South? DanC, Hooky, Cav? Who all is making plans to head down? Anyone heard on the venue or time? Kind of hoping for an evening game and maybe we could set a tailgate at a sports bar nearby? Assuming tix would have to go on sale in the next month or 2.
We will be there. I think there will be a shitton of IU fans as per usual in these events.

No way this is a home crowd for AU.

One poster on the FB board says AU playing in ATL is the same as IU playing in Indy so a home crowd.

I laughed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT