ADVERTISEMENT

As underwhelming as Bell has been so far,

Look up the word "hinge" (verb).

Here's a quick and easy read for you. You might learn something.

If you’ve followed the program, you’d understand that our performance has been about much more than just one position group. Go back and watch some of the games. It’s not difficult to see.

If you’ve followed the program, you’d understand that our performance has been about much more than just one position group. Go back and watch some of the games. It’s not difficult to see.
One more time - - everything on offense (IU's, and any other) hinges on the OL.

I'm sorry you know so little about football that you're unable to grasp that.

You're good at trolling, though.

One more time - - everything on offense (IU's, and any other) hinges on the OL.

I'm sorry you know so little about football that you're unable to grasp that.

You're good at trolling, though.
I’m sorry, but it’s about much more than just the O line with IU. If You’d actually watch / re-watch the games, you’d know that the O line is and has been but one of our issues. Now, please go harass someone else. Having looked at your posting history with me, I’m really not interested in clogging the board with a meaningless back and forth.

I’m sorry, but it’s about much more than just the O line with IU. If You’d actually watch / re-watch the games, you’d know that the O line is and has been but one of our issues. Now, please go harass someone else. Having looked at your posting history with me, I’m really not interested in clogging the board with a meaningless back and forth.

what are the other issues that are a bigger issue than the oline? (and don't just say coaching staff because that's a cop out when discussing what position group is the biggest issue).

No one is saying oline is the only issue but that it is the biggest issue by far. If you disagree with that, then it takes more than just saying there are other issues (because no one said there wasn't). It would take explaining what position group is a bigger issue.

Vesuvius outside the speed of the offense, you seem to have other issues with Bell just curious what they are?
It was the way Tuttle was treated after running the #1 offense beating our Bazelak. His lack of using the TE in the offense leading to losing Barner. His refusal to sub a different QB in when Bazelak was struggling to give him a chance to settle down. Bell's lack of trying different formations with a variety of players the way coach Willson dealt with losing injured players. Not adjusting to so many three and outs. Bell's lack of pass plays for Williams when he became the starter. Regulating Williams to running on air as he assessed him as #3 behind Sorsby which makes me wonder where he put Tuttle after naming Bazelak as starter. I have more reason, but these are enough.

what are the other issues that are a bigger issue than the oline? (and don't just say coaching staff because that's a cop out when discussing what position group is the biggest issue).

No one is saying oline is the only issue but that it is the biggest issue by far. If you disagree with that, then it takes more than just saying there are other issues (because no one said there wasn't). It would take explaining what position group is a bigger issue.
I’ll pick the most obvious one: Quarterback play. We‘ve struggled mightily at that spot over the last several seasons, and it’s been about much more than deficient O line play. Poor technique, poor reads, poor overall execution leading to stalled drives and turnovers, and much of it centered on the position itself. I understand the rush to just blame the O line (sorry, but many think it really is the only problem and, if fixed, all will be well), but every position group on offense has been bad. Just saying it’s true of the O line (without any detailed explanation of where they’re not getting it done) isn’t accurate, in my opinion.

Reactions: Cap99
It was the way Tuttle was treated after running the #1 offense beating our Bazelak. His lack of using the TE in the offense leading to losing Barner. His refusal to sub a different QB in when Bazelak was struggling to give him a chance to settle down. Bell's lack of trying different formations with a variety of players the way coach Willson dealt with losing injured players. Not adjusting to so many three and outs. Bell's lack of pass plays for Williams when he became the starter. Regulating Williams to running on air as he assessed him as #3 behind Sorsby which makes me wonder where he put Tuttle after naming Bazelak as starter. I have more reason, but these are enough.
A question: How many, if any, practices have you attended while Bell has been the OC?

I’ll pick the most obvious one: Quarterback play. We‘ve struggled mightily at that spot over the last several seasons, and it’s been about much more than deficient O line play. Poor technique, poor reads, poor overall execution leading to stalled drives and turnovers, and much of it centered on the position itself. I understand the rush to just blame the O line (sorry, but many think it really is the only problem and, if fixed, all will be well), but every position group on offense has been bad. Just saying it’s true of the O line (without any detailed explanation of where they’re not getting it done) isn’t accurate, in my opinion.

You think QB play is a bigger issue than the oline?

The ability of our QBs to shine and play well is greatly effected by the oline and not giving the QB any time in an instantly collapsing pocket, especially when the QB is not very mobile.

I agree our QBs have not been stellar but when Penix struggles here and then immediately has a career year at Washington, I think it illustrates the oline issues and its effect on our QB.

You think QB play is a bigger issue than the oline?

The ability of our QBs to shine and play well is greatly effected by the oline and not giving the QB any time in an instantly collapsing pocket, especially when the QB is not very mobile.

I agree our QBs have not been stellar but when Penix struggles here and then immediately has a career year at Washington, I think it illustrates the oline issues and its effect on our QB.
Penix excelled here because of a scheme that fit his skill set, and it’s why he’s done so well at UW. Blaming poor qb play on the O line is the easy cop out. The O line coach served with 4 OCs. That’s been a much bigger issue.

I agree with all that .... but I will also say this - I looked up one time, and only one time (there may have been others, but I only saw 1) and we had a QB and 2 RB's split behind him, in the NEZ red zone, and I thought I had hit my head and awakened in 1987! NO TE or WR lined up funny, or the QB out wide faking - 2 real by-god running backs in the same backfield as a QB. Its was a highlight for me! I thought maybe we'd gone full-on wishbone!

Reactions: vesuvius13
That's good info. To me not being all that knowledgeable about football, I was going to mention: Not giving Tuttle a shot when Bazelak was struggling, especially if they were neck and neck and practice and Tuttle was the captain, continuing to run hurry up after so many 3 and outs, and putting Sorsby in before Williams.

Essentially Tuttle and Williams were not given a shot when they should have - Tuttle didn't get to play until Bazelak was hurt, and Williams until it was clear to anyone still in the stands at the PSU game that Sorsby wasn't ready.

Also, Allen needed a home run hire for that job and he brought in a guy without a track record of success, and there wasn't evidence last year of any real improvement. Hopefully this year we'll all eat crow as Bell shows whatever Allen saw in him.

Absent specifics, it’s not really credible. I’ve provided specifics . . .

Sure, whatever you say ord.

I'm a fan that watches games....not an aspiring oline coach trying to get a job.

I don't need specifics or to know why or how it stunk to know that it did indeed stink. The results were clear.

It's painfully obvious when QBs have no time to throw the ball before a defender is in their face. It's painfully obvious when RBs have to make multiple defenders miss just to get back to the LOS.

Last edited:
Penix excelled here because of a scheme that fit his skill set, and it’s why he’s done so well at UW. Blaming poor qb play on the O line is the easy cop out. The O line coach served with 4 OCs. That’s been a much bigger issue.
I thought Penix excelled here because IU handled Covid better than any other team? Your words.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I thought Penix excelled here because IU handled Covid better than any other team? Your words.
Penix did or the overall team did? I obviously never said the former, and the latter was far more about when we had the worst of Covid versus our conference brethren. Hope that provides clarity for you.

Just curious as to why you think Tuttle beat out Bazelak for the starting position and if he did beat out Bazelak I am not sure why Bell started him. We had to use our TE in pass protection so it is tough to use him pass protection and throw him the ball but your point is well taken. I see your point about see your point about sticking with him his struggles. To his defense Baz was could occasionally get on very hot streaks ie Illinois game And Western Kentucky right off the bat. Again I don't know what went on in practice in the battle for the spot. I can only assume that Baz was better don't know why a coach would pick a lesser guy especially with no prior relationship. But i can see your point. Next thing about formation changes I did see that but maybe not enough of getting Lucas on the field at a position other than in the backfield. I don't see DW as a pure passer and don't see as ever being a real threat in the passing game. I don't think Sheridan really saw him as a starter and don't know if he was there for Deboer. Finally your issue with his speed of the offense. When he was at FSU I don' t think he ran at that pace. I am almost positive. So I really thought that he believed because of our other problemshe saw it as a way of overconming them. Maybe he was slow to change also a problem.

The one consistent has been poor oline play. Calling a spade a spade isn't a cop out.
The guy's lasted nine months as jackskip, which might be a personal best for him. I don't think his previous handles survived nearly that long. Mods will eventually take him out and then he'll come back as Kern County Revisited, Dana Point 2.0 or Ordfan Forever.

If the reason you're here is to engage in reasonable debate, well, you suck at it.
What’s been unreasonable? In spite of being verbally attacked, I haven’t responded in kind, and I’ve made thoughtful arguments based on our actual game performance. Seems reasonable to me.

The guy's lasted nine months as jackskip, which might be a personal best for him. I don't think his previous handles survived nearly that long. Mods will eventually take him out and then he'll come back as Kern County Revisited, Dana Point 2.0 or Ordfan Forever.
Any chance you’ll ever choose to actually engage in a thoughtful discussion of IU football? You’d be far better served, as would the board. The personal attacks really have no place here.

Especially in the 2019 season. Dumb argument.
It’s only dumb because the poster misstated it. I’ve merely said that it was highly impactful in a positive way to the results we achieved in 2020. If you look at how the season played out, it makes great sense and it explains why we game planned as we did. Have never understood why some choose to deny it.

Last edited:
What’s been unreasonable? In spite of being verbally attacked, I haven’t responded in kind, and I’ve made thoughtful arguments based on our actual game performance. Seems reasonable to me.
If you ever watched football games, you would understand how wrong you are. Anybody who actually watches the games knows what you do not know. Why do you post here when you clearly do not watch games and thus do not know what you are talking about?

(PS - I'm just trying to have a football discussion here. No attacks. Just pointing out facts. You really should not get offended when all I do is point out your football ignorance which stems from you not watching the games.)

Especially in the 2019 season. Dumb argument.
Yeah, it's a bogus argument (he's known for those) for a number of reasons. As you've suggested, Covid clearly didn't account for our success in 2019 as it wasn't yet on the scene, and there's no credible evidence that it helped us in 2020. In fact, I'd argue that it hurt us in a huge way. Ohio State had the benefit of a bye week before they played us in our biggest game of the season (we lost by seven in Columbus, our only conference loss) after Maryland canceled the OSU/Maryland game the week before because Maryland had an outbreak of Covid. The Buckeyes were healthy - - and well-rested - - when they played us.

Your style is to talk down to everyone. The 1's who retort back to your posts cannot be talked down to. They reject that. Goes double from me.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Yeah, he seems to be taking his meds this time around. Usually he has a total meltdown at some point. The thing is, he might generate a molecule of respect if he would just admit the obvious.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
If you ever watched football games, you would understand how wrong you are. Anybody who actually watches the games knows what you do not know. Why do you post here when you clearly do not watch games and thus do not know what you are talking about?

(PS - I'm just trying to have a football discussion here. No attacks. Just pointing out facts. You really should not get offended when all I do is point out your football ignorance which stems from you not watching the games.)
Interesting that your diatribe failed to include anything specific. Not one thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT