ADVERTISEMENT

As underwhelming as Bell has been so far,

He was also fired after his 2nd year, 2021. His Offense didn't exactly light it up during the 2020 season, either.
Yeah, I’m not sure Sheridan’s offenses ever scored consistently or early, for that matter. His biggest failure was not keeping Penix healthy, and then not getting him ready for 2021. He also failed to get Tuttle ready behind him when it was evident MP was injury prone.

It was the way Tuttle was treated after running the #1 offense beating our Bazelak. His lack of using the TE in the offense leading to losing Barner. His refusal to sub a different QB in when Bazelak was struggling to give him a chance to settle down. Bell's lack of trying different formations with a variety of players the way coach Willson dealt with losing injured players. Not adjusting to so many three and outs. Bell's lack of pass plays for Williams when he became the starter. Regulating Williams to running on air as he assessed him as #3 behind Sorsby which makes me wonder where he put Tuttle after naming Bazelak as starter. I have more reason, but these are enough.
I agree there could have been more formation concepts. I think we needed more execution than we got. Not sure I ever saw enough man beaters last year … or route options (e.g. slants when DBs play with outside leverage).

Reactions: vesuvius13
How would you rate the S&C staff? We’re players stronger, more in shape, able to carry their weight better, less prone to injuries?
Yes, they are more in shape and strength is hard to measure on the field, but it was more about effort and explosion by Hiller.

Reactions: red hornet
It is when it’s used generically and without any specifics.
If you want specifics on why the offense has failed is mostly a product of the o line.How about the amount of times a quarterback has had to deal with a missed assignment and allowed a free rusher to come without any one putting a hand on him? How about o lineman turned around and looking at a quarterback or a running back and not blocking his guy. How about the number of times linemen start with a double team and both guys leave the man on the LOS and escaping to the second level? All of these issues happen multiple times per game. These mistakes continue to occur and lead to loss of yard plays which put the offense off schedule.

If you want specifics on why the offense has failed is mostly a product of the o line.How about the amount of times a quarterback has had to deal with a missed assignment and allowed a free rusher to come without any one putting a hand on him? How about o lineman turned around and looking at a quarterback or a running back and not blocking his guy. How about the number of times linemen start with a double team and both guys leave the man on the LOS and escaping to the second level? All of these issues happen multiple times per game. These mistakes continue to occur and lead to loss of yard plays which put the offense off schedule.
No one denies that the O line has been a problem, but every position group on the offense has significantly underperformed. Dropped passes, poor route running, ineffective blocking from backs, receivers, tight ends, fumbles, not running through contact, missed assignments, under and overthrown passes, poor reads, penalties galore.It’s a long list, and it encompasses everyone. People seem to think we just need to play harder up front and that we’ll be better, and once we’re better there everything will be fine, and I don’t agree. We’ve been deficient in all areas.

When I address specifics, I’m referring to development, footwork, punch, pad level, foot placement and hip level, and general techniques Probably too weedy for here.

Sure, whatever you say ord.

I'm a fan that watches games....not an aspiring oline coach trying to get a job.

I don't need specifics or to know why or how it stunk to know that it did indeed stink. The results were clear.

It's painfully obvious when QBs have no time to throw the ball before a defender is in their face. It's painfully obvious when RBs have to make multiple defenders miss just to get back to the LOS.
Hiller wasn't a good OL coach and didn't develop players as they got worse after the first season. Bostad is a great OL coach and will develop OL players.
Wherever he has coached in college he improves recruiting so IU will be much better each year.

Nah, I just watch the games and see the results. Its why I knew in late September that we weren’t a bowl team.
You are completely full of shit. If I'm wrong about that, prove me wrong. Link your post from September 2022 where you stated we weren't a bowl team.

Also, I recall comments from you in the first half of the season that your "sources" advised you that IU's primary problem was the O-line. That wasn't much of a revelation as it was obvious to everyone who follows the team. Fast forward to early December when Allen announced a splashy, impressive hire for OL coach - - Bob Bostad. Your tune then quickly changed. First, you suggested Bostad wouldn't be able to replicate his past success at IU. Then, suddenly, IU had a host of other serious problems in addition to the OL.

It never ends with you. You constantly shit on the program and attempt to pour cold water on every positive development. What's the basis for your IU hate? Academic struggles? Cut from a team? No luck with the ladies? Or are you simply a Purdue troll?

You are completely full of shit. If I'm wrong about that, prove me wrong. Link your post from September 2022 where you stated we weren't a bowl team.

Also, I recall comments from you in the first half of the season that your "sources" advised you that IU's primary problem was the O-line. That wasn't much of a revelation as it was obvious to everyone who follows the team. Fast forward to early December when Allen announced a splashy, impressive hire for OL coach - - Bob Bostad. Your tune then quickly changed. First, you suggested Bostad wouldn't be able to replicate his past success at IU. Then, suddenly, IU had a host of other serious problems in addition to the OL.

It never ends with you. You constantly shit on the program and attempt to pour cold water on every positive development. What's the basis for your IU hate? Academic struggles? Cut from a team? No luck with the ladies? Or are you simply a Purdue troll?
I’ll find the post where you scolded me for prematurely saying we weren’t a bowl team (assuming it’s still there).

As for the O line, no one has denied that it’s been a problem, but everyone should be able to see that our problems go well beyond that one position group. Not sure why you find that controversial.

As for Bostad, I’ve merely pointed out that the scheme he‘s previously coached is markedly different than what we will be running next Fall, and there are legitimate questions as to whether his success will translate to a new style of offense. In fact, he was available to us in large part because that style has been largely ineffective at UW in recent seasons, leading them to fire their alumnus coach. Again, nothing controversial there.

I’m not sure why you feel entitled to attack others who’ve been far more accurate concerning our struggles, but I’m certainly not interested in responding to petty name calling.

Lastly, I’ve very likely been an IU football fan and attendee longer than you’ve been alive, and I’m an alumnus of the University. Perhaps that longevity makes me less tolerant of losing than you seem to be.

Edit: Looks like your post on or about September 12th was an admonishment toward me for stating that a bowl bid for the 2022 team would be “miraculous”. I’m sure you can locate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC

I put him on ignore but he keeps showing up, how is that.

I’ll find the post where you scolded me for prematurely saying we weren’t a bowl team (assuming it’s still there).

As for the O line, no one has denied that it’s been a problem, but everyone should be able to see that our problems go well beyond that one position group. Not sure why you find that controversial.

As for Bostad, I’ve merely pointed out that the scheme he‘s previously coached is markedly different than what we will be running next Fall, and there are legitimate questions as to whether his success will translate to a new style of offense. In fact, he was available to us in large part because that style has been largely ineffective at UW in recent seasons, leading them to fire their alumnus coach. Again, nothing controversial there.

I’m not sure why you feel entitled to attack others who’ve been far more accurate concerning our struggles, but I’m certainly not interested in responding to petty name calling.

Lastly, I’ve very likely been an IU football fan and attendee longer than you’ve been alive, and I’m an alumnus of the University. Perhaps that longevity makes me less tolerant of losing than you seem to be.

Edit: Looks like your post on or about September 12th was an admonishment toward me for stating that a bowl bid for the 2022 team would be “miraculous”. I’m sure you can locate it.
That's not how it works.

You made the claim earlier today that you knew in September that we weren't a bowl team. I called bullshit and said produce the post from September that reflects that assessment. Of course, you've got nothing to produce because you didn't post that in September.

Your posts typically reek of condescension, and you write as though you've got sources inside Athletics and/or the football program, but I've yet to read a single scoop from you about a coach, a player or a recruit. You challenge other posters' factual statements when you have no idea what you're talking about. I remember commenting that CTA had been vetted by Florida State at the end of the 2019 season. You told me in so many words I was full of it, that he had not been vetted by FSU or any other school. Then, when I linked articles reporting that he had, in fact, been vetted by FSU, you ridiculously pivoted to questioning the meaning of vetted.

You're a fake and a fraud.

That's not how it works.

You made the claim earlier today that you knew in September that we weren't a bowl team. I called bullshit and said produce the post from September that reflects that assessment. Of course, you've got nothing to produce because you didn't post that in September.

Your posts typically reek of condescension, and you write as though you've got sources inside Athletics and/or the football program, but I've yet to read a single scoop from you about a coach, a player or a recruit. You challenge other posters' factual statements when you have no idea what you're talking about. I remember commenting that CTA had been vetted by Florida State at the end of the 2019 season. You told me in so many words I was full of it, that he had not been vetted by FSU or any other school. Then, when I linked articles reporting that he had, in fact, been vetted by FSU, you ridiculously pivoted to questioning the meaning of vetted.

Indubitably!

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
That's not how it works.

Nope, that’s exactly how it happened. You can find your response, if it still exists on the board. And I do know people within the University and the program. Sorry if that continues to bother you. FSU never contacted Coach Allen. and there’s nothing fake about me. I’ve called them as I’ve seen them, even when the assessments were less than rosy. I know that’s unpopular with you and a few others, but that doesn’t mean they’re wrong.

1. To judge Bell by last year and seek his being fired is laughable....why? Because that 1st year he has to teach his coaches his new scheme who in turn need to teach their position players. Now I will say it can be done to the effect of a TCU but rule of thumb is a scheme implementation and running smoothly completely is usually year 3 and year 2 if lucky.
2. It will take him at least 2 recruiting cycles to get the skill players he needs to run it. Now the Portal can and will help reduce that time but lets be honest....it will take 2 years.
3. We all know about the OL problems...that horse is at the glue factory.
4. The rule of thumb is year 2 should be a marked improvement over year 1. So let's hold off on firing the guy until we see what unfolds.
5. One of the football programs biggest problem has been the lack of stability in the coaching ranks....I'm not saying that assistants shouldn't move on to "highers positions"...that is School of Business Management 101....but there has to be that "core group" that remains steady....and historically IU hasn't been that way save for the Mallory years.

This thread probably should be pinned and we move on...

1. To judge Bell by last year and seek his being fired is laughable....why? Because that 1st year he has to teach his coaches his new scheme who in turn need to teach their position players. Now I will say it can be done to the effect of a TCU but rule of thumb is a scheme implementation and running smoothly completely is usually year 3 and year 2 if lucky.
2. It will take him at least 2 recruiting cycles to get the skill players he needs to run it. Now the Portal can and will help reduce that time but lets be honest....it will take 2 years.
4. The rule of thumb is year 2 should be a marked improvement over year 1. So let's hold off on firing the guy until we see what unfolds.
5. One of the football programs biggest problem has been the lack of stability in the coaching ranks....I'm not saying that assistants shouldn't move on to "highers positions"...that is School of Business Management 101....but there has to be that "core group" that remains steady....and historically IU hasn't been that way save for the Mallory years.

Maybe it would have been better to run a system that your current crop of players could actually run instead of trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

Reactions: midwolfe
Maybe it would have been better to run a system that your current crop of players could actually run instead of trying to put a square peg into a round hole.
Then we should’ve hired a different guy for the OC job. Coach Allen hired Bell to bring his specific kind of offense to IU. We got exactly what we asked for in that regard. They then brought in a quarterback ill-suited to run it, which made no sense. Further, the kid most suited to run it didn’t want to, and the other guy was no more suited to run it than the first guy. We ended up getting some modest improvement from the #4 guy, who promptly got hurt, and now we have three other guys who are going to get their respective turns. Who knows if we’ll modify it, bit we are perilously thin at the most important position on the field, no matter what we run.

You miss the bigger issues about needing to change the OC, although I want to see what he can do this season, as for me it was about roster management and sticking with a QB that was badly suited for this team. The lack of different formations, use of TEs, etc.

Reactions: midwolfe
Then we should’ve hired a different guy for the OC job. Coach Allen hired Bell to bring his specific kind of offense to IU. We got exactly what we asked for in that regard. They then brought in a quarterback ill-suited to run it, which made no sense. Further, the kid most suited to run it didn’t want to, and the other guy was no more suited to run it than the first guy. We ended up getting some modest improvement from the #4 guy, who promptly got hurt, and now we have three other guys who are going to get their respective turns. Who knows if we’ll modify it, bit we are perilously thin at the most important position on the field, no matter what we run.

You can have a goal of what you want to do but gradually adjust to that goal as your roster becomes better suited for it.

You can have a goal of what you want to do but gradually adjust to that goal as your roster becomes better suited for it.
You can, but his scheme / philosophy is his calling card, like any coach. BK was a motion offense / smothering man to man defense coach. He didn’t change that approach to fit his players, he got the players to fit what he wanted to do. Mal was a run-first, I formation, play pass guy who believed quarterbacks could and should run, but that the tailback was the centerpiece. He recruited to that. Bell needs to do the same, which is why Bazelak was such an odd choice.

We will have 4 healthy QB's next year and potentially a 5th if Williams is healthy - that is not thin. We do not have a lot of game experience, but Jackson will have had two spring practices, two summer practices and two fall practices before opening game

We will have 4 healthy QB's next year and potentially a 5th if Williams is healthy - that is not thin. We do not have a lot of game experience, but Jackson will have had two spring practices, two summer practices and two fall practices before opening game
We have almost no game experience at all and, to be candid, I’m not sure all four (or five) of those guys are P5 level players. Injuries at that position are inevitable, and we’ve seen first hand what happens when forced to go to Plan B (or C, or D).

That‘s what I mean by “thin”.

No one denies that the O line has been a problem, but every position group on the offense has significantly underperformed. Dropped passes, poor route running, ineffective blocking from backs, receivers, tight ends, fumbles, not running through contact, missed assignments, under and overthrown passes, poor reads, penalties galore.It’s a long list, and it encompasses everyone. People seem to think we just need to play harder up front and that we’ll be better, and once we’re better there everything will be fine, and I don’t agree. We’ve been deficient in all areas.

When I address specifics, I’m referring to development, footwork, punch, pad level, foot placement and hip level, and general techniques Probably too weedy for here.
Although those are among some problems still the most glaring issue that led to led to a breakdown in quarterback play, running and overall offensive scheme was missed assignments whether it was effort of lack of knowledge who knows but when you turn rushers loose in the middle of formation on the LOS you are going to have a hard time running any offense. I only had one coach in 38 years tell me the offensive play did not include my guys on a play. I was the offensive line coach lol. The play was a complete bust pretty sure he may have never made that comment to another offensive line coach. Was not really a smart comment.

You can, but his scheme / philosophy is his calling card, like any coach. BK was a motion offense / smothering man to man defense coach. He didn’t change that approach to fit his players, he got the players to fit what he wanted to do. Mal was a run-first, I formation, play pass guy who believed quarterbacks could and should run, but that the tailback was the centerpiece. He recruited to that. Bell needs to do the same, which is why Bazelak was such an odd choice.
It was because IU recruited him but lost out to Missouri. If they would have looked at what he did at Missouri it wasn't a good choice. Now we have a new QB that is fast and can run so the offense can run like it did for Williams or Bell needs to be gone.

It was because IU recruited him but lost out to Missouri. If they would have looked at what he did at Missouri it wasn't a good choice. Now we have a new QB that is fast and can run so the offense can run like it did for Williams or Bell needs to be gone.
We did look extensively at what he did at Mizzou and brought him in to run Bell’s offense. Which new quarterback do you think can run it now?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT