ADVERTISEMENT

As underwhelming as Bell has been so far,

I want to get rid of Bell but am willing to wait this year to see how he does with a very good OL coach. If he can't do better, then he does deserve to be fired and I hope coach Allen does fire him then.

I want to get rid of Bell but am willing to wait this year to see how he does with a very good OL coach. If he can't do better, then he does deserve to be fired and I hope coach Allen does fire him then.
If he keeps Bell this year and then fires him after another dismal offensive showing, he deserves to be fired as well. Doubling down on bad coaches is his biggest blind spot.

If he keeps Bell this year and then fires him after another dismal offensive showing, he deserves to be fired as well. Doubling down on bad coaches is his biggest blind spot.
He clearly wants to see how Bell does with a good OL before judging him so give coach Allen a break on OC. He only had a bad OL to judge Bell by which is why I want to see how he does this year.

It’s been the Achilles heel for Coach Allen. He has had real trouble hiring and keeping good coaches. kid was an exception and Bob Bostad could be, though people need to tap the brakes there a bit.

Reactions: td75 and kmathum
Reactions: vesuvius13
Question about coaching staff hierarchy. Do all coaches report to head coach or do all offensive coaches report to OC and all defensive coaches report to DC? I would think as OC you have total responsibility for the offense including the line play. Why is everyone giving Bell a pass for that group’s performance when he is ultimately responsible?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Question about coaching staff hierarchy. Do all coaches report to head coach or do all offensive coaches report to OC and all defensive coaches report to DC? I would think as OC you have total responsibility for the offense including the line play. Why is everyone giving Bell a pass for that group’s performance when he is ultimately responsible?
Bell has gotten plenty of blame for a bad offense, which includes line play.

It was more of a failure to make an offense that mitigated the pre-existing condition of a bad line

It’s been the Achilles heel for Coach Allen. He has had real trouble hiring and keeping good coaches. kid was an exception and Bob Bostad could be, though people need to tap the brakes there a bit.
Deboer and Wommack and Carey and now hopefully Bostad. Dr. Rhea and Ballou all seem to have been decent hires. Deboer and Wommack left to become head coaches. Carey for now is still there as consultant awaiting a head coaching position or a coordinator position. Dr. Rhea and Ballou left for Bama. Sheridan was immediately hired by Deboer so he apparently sees something in Sheridan perhaps being hindered by an underperforming o line may have been the biggest problem for Sheridan. Still awaiting to see what happens with new guys. But one thing that posters need to understand> Success is a process and it is hard to have a lot of success when you are constantly having to hire coordinators as it seems that Coach Allen has ha to do since he has been there.

Deboer and Wommack and Carey and now hopefully Bostad. Dr. Rhea and Ballou all seem to have been decent hires. Deboer and Wommack left to become head coaches. Carey for now is still there as consultant awaiting a head coaching position or a coordinator position. Dr. Rhea and Ballou left for Bama. Sheridan was immediately hired by Deboer so he apparently sees something in Sheridan perhaps being hindered by an underperforming o line may have been the biggest problem for Sheridan. Still awaiting to see what happens with new guys. But one thing that posters need to understand> Success is a process and it is hard to have a lot of success when you are constantly having to hire coordinators as it seems that Coach Allen has ha to do since he has been there.
There are plenty of issues, but hiring good coaches has been low on that list.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Everyone reports to the head coach.

Reactions: kmathum
You named the exceptions but there have been many more who simply didn’t measure up. The staff dysfunction has obviously been a problem for several years. If you go to games, it’s evident.

DeBoer and Wommack were home-run hires. They were instrumental in IU football achieving a level of success that hadn't been seen in decades.

The "problem" with successful coordinators is that they leave to become head coaches. That's not an IU football thing. It's a college football thing. I've got to think that, when DeBoer and Wommack left, there was significant outside interest in those positions. With respect to the OC job, Allen went with DeBoer's endorsement ("Kalen came to me actually even before he knew he was leaving just about what Nick brings to our staff, the mind that he has, the offensive abilities that he has”) and promoted Sheridan. I don't know who Warren's competition was for DC and how he landed the job. In any event, those hires didn't turn out so well.

This is hardly breaking news, but everything on offense hinges on the OL. Ours has been a mess. If Bostad, who appears to be another home-run hire, can turn that around, a six-win bowl season is a realistic goal for 2023.

Jack is partially correct. Ultimately they do all report to the head coach. But the offense will meet as a staff the majority of the time. The defense will meet as a staff also. The head coach will often sit in those meetings some of the time. The head coach will meet with the coordinators most of time once the season begins they may only meet once or maybe twice a week. Offensive staff and defensive staff will meet with coordinators daily. Coordinators will meet with head coach daily. Ultimately though hiring and firing of coaches is the head coach.

DeBoer and Wommack were home-run hires. They were instrumental in IU football achieving a level of success that hadn't been seen in decades.

The "problem" with successful coordinators is that they leave to become head coaches. That's not an IU football thing. It's a college football thing. I've got to think that, when DeBoer and Wommack left, there was significant outside interest in those positions. With respect to the OC job, Allen went with DeBoer's endorsement ("Kalen came to me actually even before he knew he was leaving just about what Nick brings to our staff, the mind that he has, the offensive abilities that he has”) and promoted Sheridan. I don't know who Warren's competition was for DC and how he landed the job. In any event, those hires didn't turn out so well.

This is hardly breaking news, but everything on offense hinges on the OL. Ours has been a mess. If Bostad, who appears to be another home-run hire, can turn that around, a six-win bowl season is a realistic goal for 2023.
Everything? That’s not remotely accurate. We’ve had issues throughout the offense, not just on the O line.

So you are saying that Deboer and Wommack have been his only good hires? Rhea and Ballou were not but they were scooped up by Bama? Mccullough was he hired twice but was taken by USC first then Notre Dame both considered better programs than IU.
The S&C guys were good, the replacement (and the change of philosoph), not so much.

Reactions: Cap99
For instance what are the other issues?
We’ve changed offenses several times, and no position group has thrived. We’ve had trouble at quarterback, running back, the receiver group, tight end . . . It’s been across the board. It’s one of the reasons we’ve had to hit the portal so hard. Suggesting this is mainly an issue of just the O line isn’t correct, in my view.

The S&C guys were good, the replacement (and the change of philosoph), not so much.
I for one am happy to see them slimming down the offensive line. As long as it did not mean losing strength. I have always been a guy that wanted speed and explosion even if it did mean losing size and a little bit of strength.

I for one am happy to see them slimming down the offensive line. As long as it did not mean losing strength. I have always been a guy that wanted speed and explosion even if it did mean losing size and a little bit of strength.
I’m not sure that strength wasn’t a casualty in that process, though.

Reactions: Cap99
We’ve changed offenses several times, and no position group has thrived. We’ve had trouble at quarterback, running back, the receiver group, tight end . . . It’s been across the board. It’s one of the reasons we’ve had to hit the portal so hard. Suggesting this is mainly an issue of just the O line isn’t correct, in my view.
So under Deboard we had back to back years where we had a true freshman rush for 1000 yards. O line play really deteriorated and we have struggled to have a passing game. We have had decent qb play with Ramsey and Penix (until injured each year). I was not a big fan of going to Big and physical receivers and not having a blend of smaller faster shiftier receivers. There was mixed results. There were times Westbrook and the other guy from Miss cant think of his name at this time had success. Both had serious knee injuries that forced them to miss serious time. We have had some success at tight end until we had to start using them more in pas protection. So I would disagree that the majority of offensive begin and wer mainly the product of offensive line play

Everything? That’s not remotely accurate. We’ve had issues throughout the offense, not just on the O line.
Look up the word "hinge" (verb).

Here's a quick and easy read for you. You might learn something.

Last edited:
So isn't kind of tough to truly evaluate s and c staff? You cant really evaluate strength of o line most of their issues seemed to be effort and assignment issues.
How would you rate the S&C staff? We’re players stronger, more in shape, able to carry their weight better, less prone to injuries?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT