ADVERTISEMENT

Armstrong Stadium renovation

This renovation is kinda disappointing to me from a soccer perspective. Sure it will be an improvement over the current layout but it will still lack the atmosphere you would get from a tight, soccer only facility. As the MLS continues to grow in popularity and other schools build soccer only complexes I'm afraid the hoosiers might struggle to land top recruits. Just thinking long term here. Having temporary stands behind the goals will be nice but it still won't create the same atmosphere you would get from having all the seats up close to the field.

This renovation is kinda disappointing to me from a soccer perspective. Sure it will be an improvement over the current layout but it will still lack the atmosphere you would get from a tight, soccer only facility. As the MLS continues to grow in popularity and other schools build soccer only complexes I'm afraid the hoosiers might struggle to land top recruits. Just thinking long term here. Having temporary stands behind the goals will be nice but it still won't create the same atmosphere you would get from having all the seats up close to the field.
Good post. IU's winning tradition will always draw recruits. That said any soccer stadium with a track sucks.

Good post. IU's winning tradition will always draw recruits. That said any soccer stadium with a track sucks.

I hope you guys know the whole story and are not basing it off the picture, because I have it on good authority that the whole field is being replaced this year with a new surface so no more "goat ranch". Also they are putting some bleachers right on the track with this so people will be closer. This picture does not tell the whole story.

It will not be elite after this renovation but once it's done and field replaced it will be one of the better D1 facilities again.

I hope you guys know the whole story and are not basing it off the picture, because I have it on good authority that the whole field is being replaced this year with a new surface so no more "goat ranch". Also they are putting some bleachers right on the track with this so people will be closer. This picture does not tell the whole story.

It will not be elite after this renovation but once it's done and field replaced it will be one of the better D1 facilities again.[/QUO

Yeah i wouldn't worry too much about IU Soccer's facilities other than the appeal as a spectator. There are top 25 D1 soccer programs who play on fields with metal bleachers barely suitable for a high school. IU will be more than fine.

IU will always be able to recruit well. St. Louis and Chicago always produce plenty of talent and IU is very strong in both those places. This new facility will only help.
iu's tradition of winning will keep it strong. what's more, i have visited many, many D1 "stadiums" and played d1 myself. there are top 25 D1 programs playing in front of metal stands that a high school wouldn't use. Indiana before the renovations was far better than most schools. that said, a track definitely sucks. iu has a strong tradition of recruiting in stl. you are absolutely correct. part of this in recent years is due to slu being so poor, which is an odd thing in and of itself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT