ADVERTISEMENT

Archie at Harrison High School

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
Pat Shoulders invited Archie to come speak in Evansville. AT and Todd Leary were among the visitors. Sitting a few feet from me was Khristian Lander. He had t leave for a minute for a phone call. I hope it was another coach and he told him he was with Archie.

Archie went through each player and mentioned they had a meeting with the team today.

Hunter - Archie said everyone wants to know about Jerome. He called his issue something that the experts found difficult to explain. The good news is that Archie said he has been cleared. He said he will be watched and is starting over from scratch.

Green and Davis - He said these two are going to be asked to do more offensively. He called them the best offensive players on the team. Davis has been shooting out to 12 feet and hitting free throws as well as anyone. He said they have been trying to keep Green under control for three years but they are going to give him more freedom. He said Green should be happy to hear that.

Durham and Smith - Archie said they plan to use Al some at the point. He called Durham and Smith smart players that are going to be asked to do some different things. He said Smith could be a leading defender in the B1G. He talked about using his athleticism. What he said abut these two sounded how he described challenging Juwan before his junior year. Hope it works out as well.

Brunk - He really likes his work ethic and presence in the locker room. He said we are going to really like watching him play..

TJD and Franklin - TJD was one of the first kids he watched after getting the job. He mentioned how hard it is for big men to come from high school where they play against smaller kids and suddenly have to face bigger and more experienced players. Archie talked about Franklin and how he has improved and will play this year.

Anderson and Hunter - Archie called Damezi one of the best shooters on the team. He said Anderson and Hunter have the biggest opportunity to have a breakout year since they have no place to go but up. He talked about Hunters ability to shoot 3s and to score inside. He seemed excited abut Hunter.

Phinisee and Thompson - He didn't realize how strong Rob was when he recruited him. He spoke of how Thompson wanted to help the team and notredshirtwas responsible for beating Wisconsin with his key 20 minutes he played against Happ.

He answered a question about Romeo. He said if Romeo had played in an era like Cheaney, he could have set records and been among the best to ever play. Romeo has been back to campus several times and sleeps on Phinisee's coach instead of getting a hotel room.

Archie told a few funny stories, people made fun of Pat Shoulders and we got pictures with Archie. I hope Lander had a good time!

Pat Shoulders invited Archie to come speak in Evansville. AT and Todd Leary were among the visitors. Sitting a few feet from me was Khristian Lander. He had t leave for a minute for a phone call. I hope it was another coach and he told him he was with Archie.

Archie went through each player and mentioned they had a meeting with the team today.

Hunter - Archie said everyone wants to know about Jerome. He called his issue something that the experts found difficult to explain. The good news is that Archie said he has been cleared. He said he will be watched and is starting over from scratch.

Green and Davis - He said these two are going to be asked to do more offensively. He called them the best offensive players on the team. Davis has been shooting out to 12 feet and hitting free throws as well as anyone. He said they have been trying to keep Green under control for three years but they are going to give him more freedom. He said Green should be happy to hear that.

Durham and Smith - Archie said they plan to use Al some at the point. He called Durham and Smith smart players that are going to be asked to do some different things. He said Smith could be a leading defender in the B1G. He talked about using his athleticism. What he said abut these two sounded how he described challenging Juwan before his junior year. Hope it works out as well.

Brunk - He really likes his work ethic and presence in the locker room. He said we are going to really like watching him play..

TJD and Franklin - TJD was one of the first kids he watched after getting the job. He mentioned how hard it is for big men to come from high school where they play against smaller kids and suddenly have to face bigger and more experienced players. Archie talked about Franklin and how he has improved and will play this year.

Anderson and Hunter - Archie called Damezi one of the best shooters on the team. He said Anderson and Hunter have the biggest opportunity to have a breakout year since they have no place to go but up. He talked about Hunters ability to shoot 3s and to score inside. He seemed excited abut Hunter.

Phinisee and Thompson - He didn't realize how strong Rob was when he recruited him. He spoke of how Thompson wanted to help the team and notredshirtwas responsible for beating Wisconsin with his key 20 minutes he played against Happ.

He answered a question about Romeo. He said if Romeo had played in an era like Cheaney, he could have set records and been among the best to ever play. Romeo has been back to campus several times and sleeps on Phinisee's coach instead of getting a hotel room.

Archie told a few funny stories, people made fun of Pat Shoulders and we got pictures with Archie. I hope Lander had a good time!

Thanks for the post. Archie does come across as very genuine and likable guy.

I though last year Green was the best on the team off of a single screen, while Romeo was best with a spread and NO screen.

Last year before the season Archie said Justin Smith was a guy who could easily go for 12ppg. Now he says Smith will be a defender.

I though last year Green was the best on the team off of a single screen, while Romeo was best with a spread and NO screen.

Last year before the season Archie said Justin Smith was a guy who could easily go for 12ppg. Now he says Smith will be a defender.
I believe Archie would be pleased if he did both. One doesn't prevent the other.

Reactions: ufo33 and 76-1

Focus Smith and on using his athleticism and intelligence as a strong defender, get rebounds and put backs, be a rim protector, run the floor for dunks off the break. Use Smith's strengths but don't try to force a square peg in a round hole, Smith is not a shooter.

Best speech that I have ever heard Archie give, hope and honesty at the same time. Archie came across as really caring about his guys and his team and he was recruiting guys with basketball skills and also high character. Archie was calm but has a plan and a mission. Archie is building the right way.

I believe Archie would be pleased if he did both. One doesn't prevent the other.
I would love for Smith to be an all around player, hopefully he has worked a lot in the offseason on his perimter game and his FT shooting, and on his post movess,, and being strong with the ball in the lane and on drives.

Best speech that I have ever heard Archie give, hope and honesty at the same time. Archie came across as really caring about his guys and his team and he was recruiting guys with basketball skills and also high character. Archie was calm but has a plan and a mission. Archie is building the right way.
If you were a recruit in the room (Lander), you heard Archie mention a few times about how players are welcome to come back to campus and how the program values the past players and living up to the high standards the program has had. Calbert showed up for an hour this weekend at the fantasy camp. Archie called Damon Bailey to invite him to come. Archie seems to be putting in a lot of effort with past players.

I liked Archie's response on leadership. He said to be honest or genuine. You can't fake who you are and be a good leader.

If you were a recruit in the room (Lander), you heard Archie mention a few times about how players are welcome to come back to campus and how the program values the past players and living up to the high standards the program has had. Calbert showed up for an hour this weekend at the fantasy camp. Archie called Damon Bailey to invite him to come. Archie seems to be putting in a lot of effort with past players.

I liked Archie's response on leadership. He said to be honest or genuine. You can't fake who you are and be a good leader.

He's a great representative and is saying and doing all the right stuff, but the bottom line is, none of it really matters if we don't win, make the tourney and make some noise in it every couple years. I like him and love that he isn't a spazoid, but we've got to win at a level that we haven't been for awhile.

Romeo has been back to campus several times and sleeps on Phinisee's coach instead of getting a hotel room.

1) I, er, assume you meant "couch." If not, then this falls under the category of TMI. ;)

2) I hate to open any old wounds. Really, I do. I'm a "let's move forward" kind of guy. But I'm sure I'm not the only one whose eyebrows raised after reading this sentence.

If you were a recruit in the room (Lander), you heard Archie mention a few times about how players are welcome to come back to campus and how the program values the past players and living up to the high standards the program has had. Calbert showed up for an hour this weekend at the fantasy camp. Archie called Damon Bailey to invite him to come. Archie seems to be putting in a lot of effort with past players. Archie is a winner.

I like Archie even more after listening to the Evansville Harrison speech. Archie is building the right way for the long term. Embracing IU's past greatness and it's former players, and building with a focus on Inside-Out recruiting for a strong future. Archie strikes me as a strong leader by his calm but assured confidence and demeanor combined with his honesty and integrity. Archie says what he wants to do, and then does what he says. Straight up, no lies, purposeful.

CAM sepcifically mentioned

He specifically mentioned Al as playing more PG. With respect to Franklin, he said he said he needed his distance shooting. No mention of PG play for Franklin or 'transitioning' to him as the back-up PG. Hmmm

He specifically mentioned Al as playing more PG. With respect to Franklin, he said he said he needed his distance shooting. No mention of PG play for Franklin or 'transitioning' to him as the back-up PG. Hmmm
Al was the only person he mentioned besides Rob, of course, at the PG position. He mentioned shooting several times.

I wanted to know where Smith fits in. He mentioned recruiting versatile players and defense with respect to Smith. I expect we will see Smith on the floor with TJD and Davis. Without calling Smith a 3, I expect he will defend that position. I'm not sure how that works on the offensive end of the floor, but hopefully Hunter provides a shooting threat for 15 - 20 minutes per game.

He specifically mentioned Al as playing more PG. With respect to Franklin, he said he said he needed his distance shootinshooting. No mention of PG play for Franklin or 'transitioning' to him as the back-up PG. Hmmm
Archie is learning his player's game, no mention of Green at PG, which is good. Rob and Al, maybe Franklin at PG.

Al was the only person he mentioned besides Rob, of course, at the PG position. He mentioned shooting several times.

I wanted to know where Smith fits in. He mentioned recruiting versatile players and defense with respect to Smith. I expect we will see Smith on the floor with TJD and Davis. Without calling Smith a 3, I expect he will defend that position. I'm not sure how that works on the offensive end of the floor, but hopefully Hunter provides a shooting threat for 15 - 20 minutes per game.
Smith can score on fast breaks, rebound put backs, and dunks, but Smith must improve his FT shooting or he will get hacked (Hack a Shaq/Hack a Smith) as playing the %'s strategy that he would miss by opposing defenses, especially late in close games.

Last edited:
I like the makeup of this team. The entire roster is made up of B+ guys. We are going to learn a lot about Archie’s coaching ability with all the pieces at his disposal. I wish we were able to surround Juwan with this roster.

I like the makeup of this team. The entire roster is made up of B+ guys. We are going to learn a lot about Archie’s coaching ability with all the pieces at his disposal. I wish we were able to surround Juwan with this roster.
I like the team just worried about 11 scholarship players on roster. If Hunter was 100% healthy I wouldn't worry.

Reactions: ufo33
I do not think Franklin's handles are ready for Big Ten level PG duty. Off guard, yes, but not primary ball handler. Besides Rob, Al is the obvious choice, then Green if necessary.

If Franklin can defend the 2, he should get some minutes. I suspect Anderson needs to be able to play the 3. He would help a lot if he can develop as a small forward while Hunter gets up to speed.

I do not think Franklin's handles are ready for Big Ten level PG duty. Off guard, yes, but not primary ball handler. Besides Rob, Al is the obvious choice, then Green if necessary.

If Franklin can defend the 2, he should get some minutes. I suspect Anderson needs to be able to play the 3. He would help a lot if he can develop as a small forward while Hunter gets up to speed.
Anderson brings offense at the 3, Smith brings defense, Hunter brings both if healthy.

He's a great representative and is saying and doing all the right stuff, but the bottom line is, none of it really matters if we don't win, make the tourney and make some noise in it every couple years. I like him and love that he isn't a spazoid, but we've got to win at a level that we haven't been for awhile.
<aotf>
Was his wife there?
</aotf>

Smith can score on fast breaks, rebound put backs, and dunks, but Smith must improve his FT shooting or he will get hacked (Hack a Shaq/Hack a Smith) as playing the %'s strategy that he would miss by opposing defenses, especially late in close games.
I dont know that Ive seen a college team employ the ‘Hack a Shaq’ ever...outside of that one Memphis team...

Archie is learning his player's game, no mention of Green at PG, which is good. Rob and Al, maybe Franklin at PG.
Thats good - in year 3 he has had enough time to evaluate his own players now...

I like Archie even more after listening to the Evansville Harrison speech. Archie is building the right way for the long term. Embracing IU's past greatness and it's former players, and building with a focus on Inside-Out recruiting for a strong future. Archie strikes me as a strong leader by his calm but assured confidence and demeanor combined with his honesty and integrity. Archie says what he wants to do, and then does what he says. Straight up, no lies, purposeful.
Did you feel like the team was being led by a strong leader last Jan- March?

Sometimes, when you know you are about to move out, you care a little less about who is coming in...

Has or does any basketball coach at the D1 level avoided recruiting guys with basketball skills?

shouldve emailed archie...he had no clue how to use Rome

To the OP - I thought the thread title was a year or 2 early...and figured hed land back at a mid-major...
But the dream of Donovan, Stephens, or even Fife just for a minute was worth it

Has or does any basketball coach at the D1 level avoided recruiting guys with basketball skills?

What a straw man. Yes I do think that some coaches prefer length/athleticism that they can develop along the way over other coaches who preference high IQ/more skilled, less athletic players.

You know who else used to give these wonderful speeches? His name rhymes with Dom Frean. He sure knew how to get IU fans excited.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT