ADVERTISEMENT

Any word from RMK on the hire?

Let 'er Fly

Junior
Feb 12, 2005
I have not seen a quote form RMK. I would think he would be ecstatic. Is RMK's health such that he does not exactly know what's going on or certainly can't respond at this pont? if so, that's too bad that he did not see one of his favorite (?) players come back home.

On that last note, was he indeed one of RMK's favorites?

I have not seen a quote form RMK. I would think he would be ecstatic. Is RMK's health such that he does not exactly know what's going on or certainly can't respond at this pont? if so, that's too bad that he did not see one of his favorite (?) players come back home.

I have no idea about RMK's current condition. It's not like they make regular public updates -- and that's fine.

That said, I've never heard anything but praise and admiration from RMK about Mike Woodson.

I have no inside information, but I would think he absolutely was a Knight favorite. He was a quiet guy who gave it all on the court, never showboated, the Knight way. Knight was so effusive in praise the way he worked to come back from his back injury to help lead them to the B10 title in '80 even though he wasn't 100%. He was front and center last year at Knight's return so I think that speaks volumes.

One memory that sticks out for me was in '79 when they lost at home to Magic. Knight always said he didn't think they could have ever beaten that MSU team. They lost 3 times that year by double digits. Woodson gave everything he had and at one point in the game he was so frustrated, he was stomping his feet in frustration at Tolbert and/or Turner not blocking out Magic and crew swooping in for one handed rebound dunks. I think he might have fouled out but when he did come out near the end, Knight hugged him around the neck which was so out of character for Knight, but he appreciated how much Woody had left on the floor.

I have no inside information, but I would think he absolutely was a Knight favorite. He was a quiet guy who gave it all on the court, never showboated, the Knight way. Knight was so effusive in praise the way he worked to come back from his back injury to help lead them to the B10 title in '80 even though he wasn't 100%. He was front and center last year at Knight's return so I think that speaks volumes.

One memory that sticks out for me was in '79 when they lost at home to Magic. Knight always said he didn't think they could have ever beaten that MSU team. They lost 3 times that year by double digits. Woodson gave everything he had and at one point in the game he was so frustrated, he was stomping his feet in frustration at Tolbert and/or Turner not blocking out Magic and crew swooping in for one handed rebound dunks. I think he might have fouled out but when he did come out near the end, Knight hugged him around the neck which was so out of character for Knight, but he appreciated how much Woody had left on the floor.
Knight said Woody’s first shot that he made in the game he returned from surgery from was the best shot he’d ever seen. It was around a 22 footer as I recall.
Another great Knight/Woodson story:
When Knight coached the Pan American team they were in trouble in the championship game. During a time out Knight grabbed a fist full of Woody’s Jersey and held it as he addressed the other players. He didn’t even look at MIke. Knight was sending a message to his other players that his best player had his utmost respect (and was mentally tough enough for the moment) and that they should follow him. Just awesome!

Bobby has zero clue what’s going on. None
Which is why no one should care what he thinks about this hire. He made his own bed and caused his dismissal. His lack of respect for others and rules that he preached that others should follow, caused his own demise.

Which is why no one should care what he thinks about this hire. He made his own bed and caused his dismissal. His lack of respect for others and rules that he preached that others should follow, caused his own demise.
Back isn’t well. Not sure why you felt the need to comment on other long ago settled matters. Show some class.

For every lion, there is always a pack of opportunistic hyenas.

Seems like there is plenty of evidence from on-court displays when Woodson was playing and Knight's narrative in his book that Woodson was one of his all-time favorites; foremost the story about Knight telling Hammel that "Michael" to him meant Woodson, not Jordan.

Even if Knight's wife wrote that statement and Knight had nothing to do with it, it represents the truth.

You lost me at “Recruit,” just one level above “Newcomer” which tells us you know, not, what he was about other than what the jealous parasites spout out.

Not trying to be cryptic, but these are people well known to friends and alums of IU, and they would never speak indiscreetly. Never fun to see a vital person decline.
I have zero details on his health but anyone who saw RMK’s appearance at the PU game last season knows he’s not well. Having family members suffer through their last few years with dementia, RMK definitely looked to be in the early stages. It looked like it took him a few minutes to realize where he was.
Just going by how he looked and acted.

Everything we've read indicates RMK and Woodson are/were very tight.

See the Michael Jordan playing in Indy story...("we've only got 1 Mike around here").

I have zero details on his health but anyone who saw RMK’s appearance at the PU game last season knows he’s not well. Having family members suffer through their last few years with dementia, RMK definitely looked to be in the early stages. It looked like it took him a few minutes to realize where he was.
To be fair to RMK, he later attended a women’s game at SSAH with Bob Hammell, and seemed fine.

It’s progressed beyond “early stages“, from what I’ve been told. I understand GK also has some issues, and that he’s no longer driving (believe he winters in Myrtle).

It’s progressed beyond “early stages“, from what I’ve been told. I understand GK also has some issues, and that he’s no longer driving (believe he winters in Myrtle).
Every body decays at a different rate, based upon genetics and lifestyle. It’s the Grand Plan of nature, of which we’re all One. It’s going to be okay, just go with the flow in nature’s control. That said, never belittle dust in the wind-you never know the dust that is your own.

Last edited:
To be fair to RMK, he later attended a women’s game at SSAH with Bob Hammell, and seemed fine.
Again, not saying RMK has early dementia but people with dementia have “good days” and “bad days” up until later stages, at which point it’s all bad days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT