ADVERTISEMENT

Any TV help?

Jan 4, 2020
Tonight sitting in my recliner and our Sony flat screen froze. Couldn’t turn off with remote or with the power button. Unplugged it and held down the power button and plugged it back in. Still wouldn’t turn on. Ditch it and buy new or can it be repaired?? I think it’s about 4-5 years old.

Gracias!

Could be the power unit is dead? You may need to shop around for repairs.

My old 65in died a few months ago. It was like 8yrs old but I did see a good dead online a couple of years ago. So I got another as a backup thinking that the old 65 would die anytime soon. But it didn't until a couple of months ago.

The upside is that newer TVs have nicer picture quality. But the downside is that they are getting thinner & thinner -- but as a result, the sound quality diminishes since they are tiny speakers now.

So the choice is yours -- new TV with better picture quality but crappier sound (unless you buy a sound bar) or shop around and repair the current.

Btw nowadays I am not sure Sony even makes their own TV anymore.

They may just have them re-badged by some Chinese or Taiwanese company (with factories in China) -- and then sold as Sony. That's what happened to my old company which had a global consumer electronics division.

I would follow the advice of Dogbert on the Dilbert cartoon. He was an IT employee and was called about a computer not working right. His reply was telling the caller to get a sledgehammer and pulverize it!

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
I had a Sony Bravia 65” crap out on me a couple weeks ago after only 3 years. Power to the screen went out but I had sound. I just went out and bought a new one - I don’t think most TV’s are worth repairing these days.

Reactions: kkott
I had a Sony Bravia 65” crap out on me a couple weeks ago after only 3 years. Power to the screen went out but I had sound. I just went out and bought a new one - I don’t think most TV’s are worth repairing these days.

Dunno.. I would shop around. It can be a simple swopping of the motherboard.

Having said that my old 65in is still in the box by the hallway for over a month now. I have not got around to sending it to a repair place ;)

I've watched my dad's refusal to get rid of shit that stopped working under the pretense of "I'll work on it some day" for years. Now he's got tons of shit that is garbage, and watching that has scared me straight. If something doesn't work, I'll spend an hour or so figuring out if it's worth fixing and if not, out it goes.

Tonight sitting in my recliner and our Sony flat screen froze. Couldn’t turn off with remote or with the power button. Unplugged it and held down the power button and plugged it back in. Still wouldn’t turn on. Ditch it and buy new or can it be repaired?? I think it’s about 4-5 years old.

Gracias!
Check the batteries in your remote unit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT