ADVERTISEMENT

Any Recruiting Goods News Yet?

I'll take guys with high character and highly rated. I don't think this kid has been found to be otherwise.
As would EVERY coach in Div 1 football, you make it sound so simple, it isn't. Each player needs to be evaluated for their ability to contribute to your team's needs , just looking at "stars" is fools gold.

Every coach wants the best talent available, but they don't just fire up rivals.com and go down the 4 star list and offer. It's more complicated than that.
No they don't fire up Rivals and go down the list, but they do all subscribe to scouting/ranking services. With as many kids as it takes to fill a football class, they don't do all the scouting themselves. They definitely use scouting services to identify and target the best recruits. There's a reason Alabama has mainly 4 and 5 star recruits...they identify those ranked highly and target the ones they like. So rankings aren't everything, but coaches do pay attention to them.

As would EVERY coach in Div 1 football, you make it sound so simple, it isn't. Each player needs to be evaluated for their ability to contribute to your team's needs , just looking at "stars" is fools gold.
Ok, I think we agree. I'll go back to my original point. We have a need for four star recruits.

Ok, I think we agree. I'll go back to my original point. We have a need for four star recruits.

I think Johnny's point is that we very well may have four star recruits on our roster without having 4 stars next to their name right now...

No, your original point was we "swung and missed" on this particular 4 star recruit, the staff decided he wasn't a priority, and I'm ok with that.

I think Johnny's point is that we very well may have four star recruits on our roster without having 4 stars next to their name right now...
Your logic goes against the fact that recruiting is positively related with wins.

Your logic goes against the fact that recruiting is positively related with wins.
And yours shows a complete lack of understanding about IU football and recruiting. You want to post articles about national powers, winning titles and recruiting class ranking, that's great, but we ain't a national power.
Newsflash, we are not going to have classes in the top ten anytime soon, that doesn't preclude us from being very competitive if we recruit the right players. Not all "four stars" are created equally, would I love to have a class full of 4 & 5 stars that our coaches want ? Sure, but that does not mean I want a 4 star just because he's rated a 4 star, hell, often guys are 4 on one service and lower on others, should we take that guy just because ?
IU can ill afford to miss on guys (four star or not) if they become academic casualties or primadonnas of any sort as that seriously affects our depth. OSU can just jettison the guy and reload another, we don't have that luxury. Look at Gardner, 4 star out of HS , got booted at OSU, we took a chance and he ended up leaving our program. That left us very thin in the OL last year and a true frosh had to start. Perhaps we could have landed a solid 3 star instead and let him develop, whereas OSU just plugged in the next HS AA and didn't miss a beat

And yours shows a complete lack of understanding about IU football and recruiting. You want to post articles about national powers, winning titles and recruiting class ranking, that's great, but we ain't a national power.
Newsflash, we are not going to have classes in the top ten anytime soon, that doesn't preclude us from being very competitive if we recruit the right players. Not all "four stars" are created equally, would I love to have a class full of 4 & 5 stars that our coaches want ? Sure, but that does not mean I want a 4 star just because he's rated a 4 star, hell, often guys are 4 on one service and lower on others, should we take that guy just because ?
IU can ill afford to miss on guys (four star or not) if they become academic casualties or primadonnas of any sort as that seriously affects our depth. OSU can just jettison the guy and reload another, we don't have that luxury. Look at Gardner, 4 star out of HS , got booted at OSU, we took a chance and he ended up leaving our program. That left us very thin in the OL last year and a true frosh had to start. Perhaps we could have landed a solid 3 star instead and let him develop, whereas OSU just plugged in the next HS AA and didn't miss a beat
I agree that we don't want guys that aren't going to perform academically. Im not sure why you are assuming RJ Potts falls into this category. Just because he didn't come to Indiana doesn't mean he wasn't a good dude. Any scenario is on the table. It also sounds like you think three stars recruits are more reliable than four star recruits.

I agree that we don't want guys that aren't going to perform academically. Im not sure why you are assuming RJ Potts falls into this category. Just because he didn't come to Indiana doesn't mean he wasn't a good dude. Any scenario is on the table. It also sounds like you think three stars recruits are more reliable than four star recruits.
Comprehension isn't your strong suit apparently, never said Potts would or wouldn't perform academically, never said he wasn't a "good dude" , there are a lot of reason's why a coaching staff determines that a certain player is or isn't a good fit for their program.
You keep wanting to make generalizations, some three star recruits are more reliable, but that has to be determined on EACH individual case by that players actions, not by the number of stars rivals puts by their name.

Comprehension isn't your strong suit apparently, never said Potts would or wouldn't perform academically, never said he wasn't a "good dude" , there are a lot of reason's why a coaching staff determines that a certain player is or isn't a good fit for their program.
You keep wanting to make generalizations, some three star recruits are more reliable, but that has to be determined on EACH individual case by that players actions, not by the number of stars rivals puts by their name.
Would you please provide the specifics to his recruitment then?

Ok are you still trying to pretend that you aren't the 50th incarnation of ordfan? Because this is something he/she (you) would ALWAYS do. Needless pedantry, mucking up every thread. You post in the exact same style.

And now you're going to tell me that this board isn't for me because I'm not intelligent enough to stick to IU football blah blah blah...

Ok are you still trying to pretend that you aren't the 50th incarnation of ordfan? Because this is something he/she (you) would ALWAYS do. Needless pedantry, mucking up every thread. You post in the exact same style.

And now you're going to tell me that this board isn't for me because I'm not intelligent enough to stick to IU football blah blah blah...
I'm not ordfan or anyone else but thanks for jumping in. Johnny said cart shouldn't generalize which I agree with, so I asked Johnny to be specific. If you know specifics please share them. Some of,us are interested in recruiting. If your not, stay out of the discussion.

Last edited:
Because as I said originally, I will not go further, there is no point , and I don't feel the need . I'm sure you will say if I don't ,then what I'm saying is invalid, and that is your prerogative. As I said originally, I don't care who believes me or not, and if I provide more, why would you believe that either? Just an unnecessary path of back and forth, the proof will be in the pudding, let's see how his career unfolds, like I said, wish him luck at UC.

I'm not ordfan or anyone else but thanks for jumping in. Johnny said cart shouldn't generalize which I agree with, so I asked Johnny to be specific. If you know specifics please share them. Some of,us are interested in recruiting. If your not, stay out of the discussion.
And my comment about generalization was about comparing any random 4 star to any random 3 star, the 4 isn't always better. It had nothing to do with this specific recruitment, but you knew that.

And my comment about generalization was about comparing any random 4 star to any random 3 star, the 4 isn't always better. It had nothing to do with this specific recruitment, but you knew that.
Easier to say you don't have any information to back up your point. Lol

He'd be going to USC if they wanted him.
Yes, his offer list is terrible ! Obviously not a kid we should want, lol.
You have missed my point, not surprising, let me spell it out for you.
We backed off one guy and picked up another, see how that works ?

Yes, his offer list is terrible ! Obviously not a kid we should want, lol.
You have missed my point, not surprising, let me spell it out for you.
We backed off one guy and picked up another, see how that works ?
Lol. USC backed off him no matter how much you want to deny that. It's a nice pick up for IU if he comes but never understood why people try to spin it falsely.

Lol. USC backed off him no matter how much you want to deny that. It's a nice pick up for IU if he comes but never understood why people try to spin it falsely.
So it's ok for you to say USC "backed off" (which btw I don't, and never have, disagreed with you about, you obviously are unable to read and comprehend) , but not ok for me to point out that IU backed off a player, hilarious.

So it's ok for you to say USC "backed off" (which btw I don't, and never have, disagreed with you about, you obviously are unable to read and comprehend) , but not ok for me to point out that IU backed off a player, hilarious.
Never took issue with you claiming IU backed off anyone. Your comprehension is poor.

Never took issue with you claiming IU backed off anyone. Your comprehension is poor.
Really? You wanted "specifics" in the recruitment, even though, I said in my original post I would not do that. You followed that up by saying I didn't have information to back my post followed by an lol, so tell everyone how that should be comprehended. While you're at it, try to tell everyone again that you aren't Ord/Kern /........ LOL

Last edited:
Really? You wanted "specifics" in the recruitment, even though, I said in my original post I would not do that. You followed that up by saying I didn't have information to back my post followed by an lol, so tell everyone how that should be comprehended. While you're at it, try to tell everyone again that you aren't Ord/Kern /........ LOL
You didn't give specifics because you didn't have any even though you were acting like you did.

"Pushed out", gotta link to prove that Helen?
They've had several lower level recruits back out in the last few days as higher rated kids have started leaning toward them. If you were a follower of recruiting, it's all over rivals, 24/7, wearesc.com, etc.

Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT