ADVERTISEMENT

Any Recruiting Goods News Yet?

10yrProject

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2016
Maybe Allen could tweet KA-Boom! (With an exclamation point for each new Commit) just for a slight change up (versus Kevin's boom!).;):D

Any IU fans heard anything...? Anything?

Maybe Allen could tweet KA-Boom! (With an exclamation point for each new Commit) just for a slight change up (versus Kevin's boom!).;):D

RJ Potts, thought to be a heavy IU lean, committed to Cincinnati.

Not really, Cincinnati is going to be really hard to recruit against. That area and Ohio for that matter just became much tougher with Fickell in at UC. He is a great recruiter. I guess weird in the Indy area.

Can't be losing good recruits to the likes of UC. I understand losing them to UM and OSU but we have to keep the in state guys in state and coming to IU.

That's not true at all.

TA was on him way harder than CKW was.
You are right. Last summer TA was all over him. He almost committed. But he waited and when he came back around and finally showed love to IU, we had other needs and said no. So he went to Cincy. It's my understanding that IU wasn't the only one that said no.

So spin it however u want but the bottom line, at the end of his recruitment, he wanted us much more than we did.

You are right. Last summer TA was all over him. He almost committed. But he waited and when he came back around and finally showed love to IU, we had other needs and said no. So he went to Cincy. It's my understanding that IU wasn't the only one that said no.

So spin it however u want but the bottom line, at the end of his recruitment, he wanted us much more than we did.
I don't have any inside information on this, but it's hard for me to believe we don't have a need for a four star recruit. It looks like we swung and missed.

I doubt the swing and a miss theory. That one would mean that IU, Nebraska, Notre Dame and others all swung and missed due to a fast ball thrown by none other than the mighty Cinci.

I don't buy Fickle as a recruiting juggernaut yet either. If Fickle suddenly wins a bunch there maybe but when he had the head job at "the" OSU they rapidly went out and found another HC. You have to recall also that it was Fickles D (full of NFL draftees) that just gave up 31 Pts in O$U's biggest game of the year and managed to embarrass the entire Big Ten in the process.

Unless the kid just hasn't been paying attention he's not headed to Cinci just due to Fickles coaching resume...

I don't know the reason but if he's a better fit at Cinci then he probably really "is" a better fit at Cinci.

Good fortune to him (except when he plays us, if he ever does).

This development just means we have another scholarship available, which is I suppose, actually "good" recruiting news. Guess that's at least one answer to the original postings question).

Last edited:
Reactions: JCHoosier
I don't have any inside information on this, but it's hard for me to believe we don't have a need for a four star recruit. It looks like we swung and missed.
Every coach wants the best talent available, but they don't just fire up rivals.com and go down the 4 star list and offer. It's more complicated than that.

Can't be losing good recruits to the likes of UC. I understand losing them to UM and OSU but we have to keep the in state guys in state and coming to IU.
The likes of UC? We've been to 11 bowls...ever. I love the progress and investment, but we really aren't in any position to rip on them.

Reactions: IUcolorado
I doubt the swing and a miss theory. That one would mean that IU, Nebraska, Notre Dame and others all swung and missed due to a fast ball thrown by none other than the mighty Cinci.

I don't buy Fickle as a recruiting juggernaut yet either. If Fickle suddenly wins a bunch there maybe but when he had the head job at "the" OSU they rapidly went out and found another HC. You have to recall also that it was Fickles D (full of NFL draftees) that just gave up 31 Pts in O$U's biggest game of the year and managed to embarrass the entire Big Ten in the process.

Unless the kid just hasn't been paying attention he's not headed to Cinci just due to Fickles coaching resume...

I don't know the reason but if he's a better fit at Cinci than he probably really "is" a better fit at Cinci.

Good fortune to him (except when he plays us, if he ever does).

This development just means we have another scholarship available, which is I suppose, actually "good" recruiting news. Guess that's at least one answer to the original postings question).

I think it speaks more about him that Urban Meyer kept him on staff when they hired him. We'll see but from every article I've read, many talk about his recruiting ability.

I think this is a lot like Lynn Bowden's recruitment. The kid is a borderline 5 star and ends up at UK? OSU or Michigan didn't even sniff the kid.

I think it speaks more about him that Urban Meyer kept him on staff when they hired him. We'll see but from every article I've read, many talk about his recruiting ability.

I think this is a lot like Lynn Bowden's recruitment. The kid is a borderline 5 star and ends up at UK? OSU or Michigan didn't even sniff the kid.
I think Bowden has always been on the edge academically, and Potts may be in that spot, too. If IU discontinued their pursuit, it must've been very recently, as he indicated IU was his clear leader within the last month or two, which I doubt he would've done if they'd told him they weren't interested in him.

Every coach wants the best talent available, but they don't just fire up rivals.com and go down the 4 star list and offer. It's more complicated than that.
"Since 1996 every team that has won a national title except for Oklahoma in 2000 has had at least two top ten national signing classes in the four years before a title."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.outk...top-ten-classes-020316.amp.html?client=safari

Like I said I don't know about this kid in particular, but the ratings on rivals should generally be taken seriously.

"Since 1996 every team that has won a national title except for Oklahoma in 2000 has had at least two top ten national signing classes in the four years before a title."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.outk...top-ten-classes-020316.amp.html?client=safari

Like I said I don't know about this kid in particular, but the ratings on rivals should generally be taken seriously.
"Generally" being the key term, of course a class full of 4 and 5 star kids is going to be better than a class full of 2 and 3 star kids. You also have to keep in mind that kids often get better ratings based on WHO is recruiting them. The public puts too much stock in star ratings, IMO, look at the schools that are really interested and recruiting a kid, that is more important.
This kid didn't have a lot of great options at the end for a "4 star" that everyone is supposed to be drooling over. Needless to say , we've had some 4 stars that didn't turn out too well, it isn't always just physical ability. I'm not looking for , nor will I get into further debate on this, we backed off this kid (at minimum he was not a priority) No one has to believe me and you are entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. Wish him well at UC.

Well Morgan Ellison has decommited from Ohio U and there are rumors that IU is very interested. Very underrated back with power and speed. UC is also in the mix and OSU has talked to him.

Reactions: 10yrProject

This isn't true either.

It is true...just cuz your boy is a runner at IU doesn't mean that he knows more than the coaches do. I know where you get your info...and it's wrong this time.

Stop.

I don't have a boy who is a runner. I don't even know what that even means. I happen to have a connection to this one situation through a mentoring arrangement. So just stop.

And I'm not the one who has been making s**t up on this site for years. That would be you.

So go hump someone else's leg.

Reactions: RBB89
"Generally" being the key term, of course a class full of 4 and 5 star kids is going to be better than a class full of 2 and 3 star kids.
We have zero four star recruits, which is why I said we need him. Rationalize it however you want.

We have zero four star recruits, which is why I said we need him. Rationalize it however you want.
So you think we need him "just" because he is a four star recruit and we don't have any ? Really bad reason to take a guy, rationalize it however you want, but I'll take high character, qualifying 3 star kids any day. If and when we start to win at a higher level, then you might see higher rated guys show up. If I were you, I would start to look at offers, legit offers, more than stars, but that is just my opinion of course.

I think it's good news that most all of the players that IU recruited before Wilson was fired are staying with IU. I'd like to see Allen start his era at IU with a couple of good recruits on his own. A couple of 4 stars would be a KA-Boom!

Reactions: DANC

On the macro-level, yes more 4 star recruits correlates to more success, but on the micro/individual level, a single 4 star recruit is going to have very little impact on the success of a program.

Outside the recruits to the top dozen or so schools that have a legit shot at competing for a national title (and who essentially have first dibs on high level recruits), probably around half of 4 stars never make it to campus or leave early (Antonio Allen, David Kenney, Taj Williams for IU specific examples but occurs at signficant frequency at places like MSU/Neb/Wisc as well).

This means, that outside a handful of elite programs, success is built around 3 star recruits.

Reactions: JCHoosier
Well Morgan Ellison has decommited from Ohio U and there are rumors that IU is very interested. Very underrated back with power and speed. UC is also in the mix and OSU has talked to him.
Tell us more about Morgan Ellison. Has IU been in pursuit of him earlier, prior to this decommitment? We need a RB, so...

I think it's good news that most all of the players that IU recruited before Wilson was fired are staying with IU. I'd like to see Allen start his era at IU with a couple of good recruits on his own. A couple of 4 stars would be a KA-Boom!
Huge for the Defense that Fant and Scales are coming back. They know Allen well and must have confidence they can continue to grow under him.

If we continue to improve on Defense next year like we did this year, we should have plenty of KA-Booms next year.

On the macro-level, yes more 4 star recruits correlates to more success, but on the micro/individual level, a single 4 star recruit is going to have very little impact on the success of a program.

Outside the recruits to the top dozen or so schools that have a legit shot at competing for a national title (and who essentially have first dibs on high level recruits), probably around half of 4 stars never make it to campus or leave early (Antonio Allen, David Kenney, Taj Williams for IU specific examples but occurs at signficant frequency at places like MSU/Neb/Wisc as well).

This means, that outside a handful of elite programs, success is built around 3 star recruits.
Fant is a 4 star who has panned out for us, but our history with them has not been good. And even he has taken a while to come into his own.

Tell us more about Morgan Ellison. Has IU been in pursuit of him earlier, prior to this decommitment? We need a RB, so...

Many feel he's underrated, he's a Columbus area kid who really wants a OSU offer which more than likely won't come. He's the kind of kid who would come in with a chip on his shoulder from day one. I don't believe a IU offer yet bet both Baylor and IU have shown interest. Right now it looks like UC.

Hendershot still visiting PSU and hoping for an offer, or is that off now?
He is still visiting PSU, but appears to be a back up plan for them, not sure they will have room. He is NOT visiting PU, think there is a very good chance he sticks with IU, but as I said before, until the ink dries .......

Outside the recruits to the top dozen or so schools that have a legit shot at competing for a national title (and who essentially have first dibs on high level recruits), probably around half of 4 stars never make it to campus or leave
Do you have a reference for your statement above?

Last edited:
So you think we need him "just" because he is a four star recruit and we don't have any ? Really bad reason to take a guy, rationalize it however you want, but I'll take high character, qualifying 3 star kids any day. If and when we start to win at a higher level, then you might see higher rated guys show up. If I were you, I would start to look at offers, legit offers, more than stars, but that is just my opinion of course.
I'll take guys with high character and highly rated. I don't think this kid has been found to be otherwise.

Many feel he's underrated, he's a Columbus area kid who really wants a OSU offer which more than likely won't come. He's the kind of kid who would come in with a chip on his shoulder from day one. I don't believe a IU offer yet bet both Baylor and IU have shown interest. Right now it looks like UC.
Thanks for this update on Ellison. Will we offer, is the big question, I guess. If UC has and really wants him, well...not good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT