ADVERTISEMENT

*A Win is a win

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
In most cases when you win ugly you simply shake your head, gesticulate, and recite the old pigskin proverb ‘a win is a win’.

But after the smoke cleared Saturday night at The Rock the Hoosiers didn't walk away feeling fortunate and unscathed.

Indiana struggled all night on both sides of the ball with an opponent that by all measures should have been significantly inferior.

Indiana's respectable B1G Defense had a chance to ‘zero’ the impotent Zips attack, we said. The Hoosier Offense had a chance to rack up big stats and gain confidence heading into a crucial road tilt with Maryland, we said.

But in the final analysis Akron out-played and out-coached Indiana. They had IU dead to rights. Only a missed chip shot field goal as time expired prevented the plug from being pulled on Indiana Life Support.

In the Press Conference after the game Head Coach Tom Allen said he thought Indiana was taking Akron for granted during the week. The coaching staff even re-started practice Thursday in an effort to get the team’s attention, Allen said.

All week none of the pundits (including wannabe bloggers) took Akron seriously or gave them a prayer.

We always harp about approaching everything one game at a time and not chalking up Ws (or Ls) prematurely, but surely lowly Akron was no cause for concern…

Lesson Learned?

No more counting wins before the game is played. It just can't happen. Not that there are any easy wins left on the schedule. The larger point is this: you can't look ahead. You can't take anything for granted.

This football team and coaching staff need to put their best into preparation, to focus on process over outcomes, and to show up focused and ready to go each and every game day. It would be helpful if fans and media types had a similar mentality.

This applies to taking games off the table as well. Oh, we can't beat Michigan. Oh it's Penn State, we’re screwed.

Horse crap.

Prepare. Process. Eight more one week seasons.

Get ready for Maryland. Let's go.

(Originally published here)

Last edited:
In most cases when you win ugly you simply shake your head, gesticulate, and recite the old pigskin proverb ‘a win is a win’.

But after the smoke cleared Saturday night at The Rock the Hoosiers didn't walk away feeling fortunate and unscathed.

Indiana struggled all night on both sides of the ball with an opponent that by all measures should have been significantly inferior.

Indiana's respectable B1G Defense had a chance to ‘zero’ the impotent Zips attack, we said. The Hoosier Offense had a chance to rack up big stats and gain confidence heading into a crucial road tilt with Maryland, we said.

But in the final analysis Akron out-played and out-coached Indiana. They had IU dead to rights. Only a missed chip shot field goal as time expired prevented the plug from being pulled on Indiana Life Support.

In the Press Conference after the game Head Coach Tom Allen said he thought Indiana was taking Akron for granted during the week. The coaching staff even re-started practice on Thursday in an effort to get the team’s attention, Allen said.

All week none of the pundits (including wannabe bloggers) took Akron seriously or gave them a prayer.

We always harp about approaching everything one game at a time and not chalking up Ws (or Ls) prematurely, but surely lowly Akron was no cause for concern…

Lesson Learned?

No more counting wins before the game is played. It just can't happen. Not that there are any easy wins left on the schedule. The larger point is this: you can't look ahead. You can't take anything for granted.

This football team and coaching staff team need to put their best into preparation, to focus on process over outcomes, and to show up focused and ready to go each and every game day. It would be helpful if fans and media types did the same.

This applies to taking games off the table as well. Oh, we can't beat Michigan. Oh it's Penn State, we’re screwed.

Horse crap.

I know you bleed cream and crimson so I'll be kind. This is not one of your better efforts.

You could have left out all the excess verbiage and simply gone with "Akron out-played and out-coached Indiana." That's the unmistakable and irrefutable takeaway from last night. And the fact that a bad MAC team out-played and out-coached us in Tom Allen's seventh season, and coming off of 2-10 and 4-8 seasons, is disgraceful.

And after last night's shitshow, holding out hope for a win in Ann Arbor or State College is delusional. Hell, I don't know how we can win at Maryland.

Joe Moorhead - current head coach of Akron. Former OC at Penn State and HC at Mississippi State is on one sideline.

Tom Allen and a bunch of cast-off coaches are on the other sideline.

That’s all you need to know about who was going to have a better game plan and preparation in this contest.

Moorhead runs circles around Allen.

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 Tom Allen

Last night was UNACCEPTABLE. Coach was correct that this weeks practice was lazy and sloppy at times. He called them out and let them know they were about to get their butts handed to them.

Having said that…there were a few outstanding performances on the defensive side of the ball. I am willing to chalk this one up as a trap game and pray we come out ready to score a lot of points vs Maryland.

Last night was UNACCEPTABLE. Coach was correct that this weeks practice was lazy and sloppy at times. He called them out and let them know they were about to get their butts handed to them.

Having said that…there were a few outstanding performances on the defensive side of the ball. I am willing to chalk this one up as a trap game and pray we come out ready to score a lot of points vs Maryland.
Hate to say it but you and they probably already realize this: If we play the way we did last night we won't win another game...

Not sure who played well but the entire DL, to a man, stunk from opening kick.
And then I need to remind myself:

These guys weren’t good enough at their other schools and is why they came here. It’s just a refuge program for kids who want more playing time.

After last night's shitshow, holding out hope for a win in Ann Arbor or State College is delusional.
I'm not taking about the hope of fans, friend. I'm talking about the mentality a football team needs to have. I'm talking about the mentality Akron had last night. I'm not writing to make fans happy. Someone is always going to snipe at what I say. I'm simply trying to assess where the team is, to speak to that, and to speak to where the team needs to go. I know I'm not always right but I also know having a bad attitude and non-directively bitching isn't going to accomplish anything.

Last edited:
Joe Moorhead - current head coach of Akron. Former OC at Penn State and HC at Mississippi State is on one sideline.

Tom Allen and a bunch of cast-off coaches are on the other sideline.

That’s all you need to know about who was going to have a better game plan and preparation in this contest.

Moorhead runs circles around Allen.

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 Tom Allen
Except in the 3rd & 4th OT!!! Akron play calling was atrocious

I'm not taking about the hope of fans, friend. I'm talking about the mentality a football team needs to have. I'm talking about the mentality Akron had last night. I'm not writing to make fans happy. Someone is always going to snipe at what I say. I'm simply trying to assess where the team is, to speak to that, and to speak to where the team needs to go. I know I'm not always right but I do know having a bad attitude and non-directively bitching isn't going to accomplish anything.
When I coached, I avoided this up and down play by approaching my team with the attitude that we play every team as champions and if they aren't we crush them. Coach has to instill in them this attitude and if he sees it not there, interrupt Tuesday practice not wait until Thursday practice.

I'm not taking about the hope of fans, friend. I'm talking about the mentality a football team needs to have. I'm talking about the mentality Akron had last night. I'm not writing to make fans happy. Someone is always going to snipe at what I say. I'm simply trying to assess where the team is, to speak to that, and to speak to where the team needs to go. I know I'm not always right but I do know having a bad attitude and non-directively bitching isn't going to accomplish anything.
My bitching this morning is hardly non-directional. It's clearly directed at Indiana's coaching staff who should be embarrassed by last night's performance.

For starters, we need someone else devising the offensive game plan and calling offensive plays.

Saw Philip get dinged. How does that look?

Reactions: vesuvius13

If this team, which should never take anything for granted, is lazy Tom Allen, who recruited them and has been in charge of their training has to be faulted. In fact his teams have been unprepared a lot and he keeps getting his ridiculously high salary.

Not sure who played well but the entire DL, to a man, stunk from opening kick.
And then I need to remind myself:

These guys weren’t good enough at their other schools and is why they came here. It’s just a refuge program for kids who want more playing time.
Disagree. They had pressure but had trouble getting home. The LBs lost track of the QB too much.

If this team, which should never take anything for granted, is lazy Tom Allen, who recruited them and has been in charge of their training has to be faulted. In fact his teams have been unprepared a lot and he keeps getting his ridiculously high salary.
That's you just looking for something to blame on him. Do you have your best week every week?

The money has zero to do with anything. You may not like the results, but let's not act like he is one of the highest paid college coaches in the business.

Last edited:
That's you just looking for something to blame on him. Do you have your best week every week?

The money has zero to do with anything. You may not like the results, but let's not act like he is one of the highest paid college coaches in the business.
BTW, Phil had a nice recorded interview with Fisch during the pregame show. It was thoughtful and well-spoken. 6 tackles was a nice showing.

For all of the focus on play calling, the biggest issue continues to be that, in three of our first four games, we’re losing the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. O can help the D and and the D can help the O, but neither side is getting it done up front, and our problems start there.

I‘m not thrilled with every play call, but if you can block the straightforward stuff, there’s not much chance we can execute more sophisticated schemes. And if we can’t get off blocks and disrupt what the opposing O wants to do, we give up 263 yards and on the ground and 9 1/2 minutes of possession to a middling MAC team.

Unless and until we fix those things, play calls aren’t going to matter much.

For all of the focus on play calling, the biggest issue continues to be that, in three of our first four games, we’re losing the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. O can help the D and and the D can help the O, but neither side is getting it done up front, and our problems start there.

I‘m not thrilled with every play call, but if you can block the straightforward stuff, there’s not much chance we can execute more sophisticated schemes. And if we can’t get off blocks and disrupt what the opposing O wants to do, we give up 263 yards and on the ground and 9 1/2 minutes of possession to a middling MAC team.

Unless and until we fix those things, play calls aren’t going to matter much.
That is just not correct. We do lose the edge at times, but as a rule, that DL does not get pushed back.

Now - I can also admit that I have a vested interest...so I could be wearing some rose-colored glasses. Prove me wrong.

That is just not correct. We do lose the edge at times, but as a rule, that DL does not get pushed back.

Now - I can also admit that I have a vested interest...so I could be wearing some rose-colored glasses. Prove me wrong.
I thought we had a hard time getting off blocks, and I thought they controlled us up front for much of the game. Hard to win when you give up that many yards on the ground. It wasn’t the only reason we struggled, but it was a reason, in my opinion.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I thought we had a hard time getting off blocks, and I thought they controlled us up front for much of the game. Hard to win when you give up that many yards on the ground. It wasn’t the only reason we struggled, but it was a reason, in my opinion.
Possibly. What game? Is there a particular quarter or drive that comes to mind?

EDIT: Also - are you noticing personnel changes during those snaps?

Also - I want to be really clear...I am not coming at you as much as the premise. I see this "perception" of the DL emerging recently and it's frustrating. For example...PFF has Philip graded the #3 DL in the B10 right now for pass rush and is graded the #13 DL overall. To me, that's a much bigger storyline (for more reasons than 1 LOL).

Last edited:

Also - I want to be really clear...I am not coming at you as much as the premise. I see this "perception" of the DL emerging recently and it's frustrating. For example...PFF has Philip graded the #3 DL in the B10 right now for pass rush and is graded the #13 DL overall. To me, that's a much bigger storyline (for more reasons than 1 LOL).
I’m definitely not isolating Philip here, but there are some guys who seem to be struggling up front. I can’t tell (but I’m sure you know) whether we’re rotating enough there. We seem to be asking a lot of a few kids and it’s natural that fatigue sets in at some point. I also didn’t think they got great help from the middle and back last night. Lastly, their quarterback was good.

I’m definitely not isolating Philip here, but there are some guys who seem to be struggling up front. I can’t tell (but I’m sure you know) whether we’re rotating enough there. We seem to be asking a lot of a few kids and it’s natural that fatigue sets in at some point. I also didn’t think they got great help from the middle and back last night. Lastly, their quarterback was good.
I think the real issue was not spying their qb, the DL probably was trying to simply collapse the pocket

I don't take it that way...but he is the #1 interior DL. So, a conversation that starts with "losing the line of scrimmage" is not possible without him being included.

Up until last night, our interior DL snap counts remained low. At some point last night, we had to stop rotating and just play. Phil had 61 snaps last night. I do not think he has ever had more than 40 in a game before this. I can promise you this...he wanted every one.

Do you think a lot of what you are referring to as not getting off blocks is just gap control?

It absolutely is and really happy to see it. Fly with eagles and people on your side

I don't take it that way...but he is the #1 interior DL. So, a conversation that starts with "losing the line of scrimmage" is not possible without him being included.

Up until last night, our interior DL snap counts remained low. At some point last night, we had to stop rotating and just play. Phil had 61 snaps last night. I do not think he has ever had more than 40 in a game before this. I can promise you this...he wanted every one.

Do you think a lot of what you are referring to as not getting off blocks is just gap control?
Probably so, and some of our guys seem to struggle with that. Sixty one snaps is a lot. Keep that kid healthy.

In the Press Conference after the game Head Coach Tom Allen said he thought Indiana was taking Akron for granted during the week. The coaching staff even re-started practice Thursday in an effort to get the team’s attention, Allen said.

Lesson Learned?

This football team and coaching staff need to put their best into preparation, to focus on process over outcomes, and to show up focused and ready to go each and every game day. It would be helpful if fans and media types had a similar mentality.

Horse crap.

Seems that’s been the case for two years. A UMD friend / alum invited me to the game this weekend… can’t say I’m terribly excited

I’m not looking super forward to seeing Taulia considering the problems mobile QBs have caused this year.

But I’ll be serving crab and corn chowder at the tailgate!
Nice I’ll be at the game as well with golfing partner umd alum. Think I’ll have to beat him on the course at umd before hand as not optimistic about the game!

The DL wasn't the issue on Saturday IMO. Most of our problems involved not having a LB spying the QB for Akron. The DL would have pretty good pressure and the kid from Alron would take off and we didn't have good contain from the middle of the defense.

I’m not looking super forward to seeing Taulia considering the problems mobile QBs have caused this year.

But I’ll be serving crab and corn chowder at the tailgate!
IDK. Taulia definitely can run, but he’s not exactly keen to do it often, or at all. He’s got just 53 yards through four games.

Last year we were winning late against them and only fell apart defensively when the backup, who was a true run-first QB, came in.

Lesson Learned?

Horse crap.

What don't kill you makes you stronger. Or so I've been told

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT