ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Walker

Big man who averaged 2.8 points per game. Odd to say the least given we need guards.

I've typed and retyped a response to this about 5 times.

Basically its just confusing. And I hope it all becomes clear at some point.

We did lose a ton in the front court. So restocking that was a big key.

Maybe this all means Woody is confident the returning guys and the freshman are better than most think? Why guys like Kaleb and CJ didn't play much last year would be a natural question though, if he does currently feel that way. No way they've shown enough in the 1 month since the season, to completely change his view of them.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Big man who averaged 2.8 points per game. Odd to say the least given we need guards.

yeah this one is a head scratcher. Insurance policy on the bench taking Duncomb's seat?

Or is it an effort to fill an available schollie? What, we’ve only got 10? Maybe need a few bodies to practice and the staff doesn’t feel good about getting anyone else at this point? Head scratcher for sure

Reactions: Sophie1970
Maybe this all means Woody is confident the returning guys and the freshman are better than most think? Why guys like Kaleb and CJ didn't play much last year would be a natural question though, if he does currently feel that way.
We got ourselves into a position where almost every game was a "must win" and he had to play the best players as much as he could, there were not a lot of opportunities to give the bench experience.

Or is it an effort to fill an available schollie? What, we’ve only got 10? Maybe need a few bodies to practice and the staff doesn’t feel good about getting anyone else at this point? Head scratcher for sure
Possibly, especially as he has only 1 year left? Better to have someone for one yr then have it open until ‘24?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I dont know but from everyting I read the staff was really confident they were getting Ledlum for sure. They may be in scramble mode now. I am guessing we will probably get this guy given his stats I am sure we are highest major team after him.

We got ourselves into a position where almost every game was a "must win" and he had to play the best players as much as he could, there were not a lot of opportunities to give the bench experience.
Yeah. And adding depth in the post does make what I’ve been arguing is already a solid roster, better. And he’s just a 1 year guy.

Get 1 more main rotation guard/wing, that will move the needle forward more, and mix well with the team, and we’ll be good next year.

Reactions: 76-1
Ware can face up and handle some and has proven a willingness to shoot it. I think looking at adding Walker means the staff views Banks as more of a wing than a post, which is a good thing
Hopefully he is further along off the dribble then what we saw.

I don’t like your thought but it could make sense.
I was worried when, after the ware signing, we didn’t get a couple of more quick signings

I don’t like your thought but it could make sense.
I was worried when, after the ware signing, we didn’t get a couple of more quick signings
I think that's the only scenario that makes sense. open scholly, 1 yr big man insurance policy. He has some starts under his belt, so more interior fouls to spread around every game. But in terms of Ws/Ls next year, I don't think it moves the needle.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I think that's the only scenario that makes sense. open scholly, 1 yr big man insurance policy. He has some starts under his belt, so more interior fouls to spread around every game. But in terms of Ws/Ls next year, I don't think it moves the needle.
I thought Woodson wanted to play 4 out and 1 in? I assume the will have to play Banks at the 3 now as this guys us 4 guys down low now.

I thought Woodson wanted to play 4 out and 1 in? I assume the will have to play Banks at the 3 now as this guys us 4 guys down low now.
The foursome of Walker, Ware, Reneau, and Sparks will never be on the court together and Ware is a pick and pop, roll to the basket type modern big. Ware doesn't plot on the block like your traditional center.

Reactions: Florida4IU
Unless even one big can not play. Depth IS important.
That is fine I guess still concerned we are not being mentioned with any guards. After X and Galloway we have basically zero experience at guard right now. If one of them gets hurt we are in trouble imo..

• Love
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
That is fine I guess still concerned we are not being mentioned with any guards. After X and Galloway we have basically zero experience at guard right now. If one of them gets hurt we are in trouble imo..
X cracks his foot again, and Cupps gets baptism by fire, just like Smith at Purdue. Frosh or no frosh, time to grow up fast, kid.

I think most PGs in the portal want the opportunity to be 'the man' at the point next year, ala Pack at the U..not to ride the bench and get 10 min/game, and everyone knew X had a good chance of returning, so I doubt IU looked like an attractive landing spot for that type of portal PG this year.

Reactions: .Gerdis

6'9" guy who doesn't rebound much, and who likes to take 3s, but has never shot over 23% on them in 4 years.

Wow.

Reactions: Bippy
Scramble mode (also known as "we'll take any warm bodies") for a Blue Blood with deep NIL pockets and expert recruiters? Seems odd.
It does seem odd but with all these deep NIL pockets we have yet to get a guard on campus. And we probably could of had Laroch if we needed another big so this is very odd.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
DeLoach was twice the prospect this guy is. Strange.
DeLoach probably wants to go somewhere and start. I'd say we're pretty locked in with Ware and Reneau as the starting frontcourt. Sparks as our only true big backup leaves us thin. If Walker can come in and provide what he did for Miami, it'll solidify our frontcourt. And he's not tying anything up for future classes.

The top 10 frosh having us in his top 4 is interesting. Get him, and/or get someone like the Vandy or Texas Tech kid, and it all starts to make a ton more sense.

I don't know... Check out his highlight tape... He looks pretty good in spite of his stats...

Seems like a decent fit...
Maybe, but if that's the best IU can do right now, that's worrisome.

Reactions: bailey777
I don't know... Check out his highlight tape... He looks pretty good in spite of his stats...

Seems like a decent fit...
Go to sports reference.com and take a good look at his stats.....4 years worth. That's a pretty big sample size to ignore.

Maybe there looking for 5 fouls against Edey ala Durr? But Durr was 7'.

Reactions: bailey777
DeLoach probably wants to go somewhere and start. I'd say we're pretty locked in with Ware and Reneau as the starting frontcourt. Sparks as our only true big backup leaves us thin. If Walker can come in and provide what he did for Miami, it'll solidify our frontcourt. And he's not tying anything up for future classes.

The top 10 frosh having us in his top 4 is interesting. Get him, and/or get someone like the Vandy or Texas Tech kid, and it all starts to make a ton more sense.
If we bring in the top 10 frosh I highly doubt we would bring in Walker. The frosh is 6'8.

Maybe, but if that's the best IU can do right now, that's worrisome.
They aren't recruiting this guy in to start. Roster construction is a real thing and this team is in trouble if someone like Reneau can't stay out of foul trouble. He's an athletic big who can guard out to the perimeter. There's 3 open scholarships and he's a one year rental.

Go to sports reference.com and take a good look at his stats.....4 years worth. That's a pretty big sample size to ignore.

Maybe there looking for 5 fouls against Edey ala Durr? But Durr was 7'.
He's a one year rental. There's 3 scholarships available. Reneau isn't going to play 40 mpg next year and this guy is a situational defender who can guard out to the perimeter.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Cast a treasure chest to Mgbako, get Lawrence and call it a day. Unless a good wing backup would fill that role to Mgbako.

6'9" guy who doesn't rebound much, and who likes to take 3s, but has never shot over 23% on them in 4 years.

Wow.
?????????

However, he's never been a very good shooter in his career. He's never shot better than 23.5 percent from perimeter and his best free throw percentage came as a sophomore when he made just over 71 percent of his attempts.

Yeah, wow.

Bank the scolly, save the NIL money.

?????????

However, he's never been a very good shooter in his career. He's never shot better than 23.5 percent from perimeter and his best free throw percentage came as a sophomore when he made just over 71 percent of his attempts.

Yeah, wow.

Bank the scolly, save the NIL money.
Bank the scholarship for what? You get it back for the 2024 season, he has one year of eligibility left.

We have three spots to fill - certainly we don’t want three Wings; the order in which the spots fill is irrelevant. Walker may be very valuable in many unforeseen cases - foul trouble; injury. I’ll let the coaches decide - I think they are probably aware we need a Wing, by the way.

Taking a look to kick the tires has never in the history of mankind forced anyone to pay 30% over sticker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT