ADVERTISEMENT

another elementary school shooting

Repeal immunity.

ban semi-auto for most long guns.

Magazine limits for semi-auto hand guns

Expand stop and frisk and expand grounds for confiscating guns.
And, I hope you agree that the police shouldn't profit by re-selling those guns they confiscate (thus putting them back on the street).

Seems to me a lot of problems would be reduced if internet immunity and gun manufacturer immunity were both reduced or eliminated.

Take away guns. That's the only answer you will really accept. What is the point of discussing?
I’ll be honest with you. I obviously know several gun owners (I live in the US) and I don’t really begrudge them for owning them.

That said, I still don’t get the purpose of owning one. The idea of needing one for “protection” just seems off to me. Being constantly afraid that something is going to happen that’s bad enough that you’d want to shoot someone seems stressful, sad and a little deranged.

And, I hope you agree that the police shouldn't profit by re-selling those guns they confiscate (thus putting them back on the street).

Seems to me a lot of problems would be reduced if internet immunity and gun manufacturer immunity were both reduced or eliminated.
Are you trying to see how many stupid posts you can make in a single thread?

CoH and Ranger are the only 2 I’ve seen propose a possible solution. I guess you could count sgl non-starter.

Otherwise it’s just people shouting at clouds about gun lovers and pussies.
That’s not entirely fair. Realistically, there is no solution because nothing will change. And that’s largely due to gun lovers and pussies.

i just wish we weren’t all beholden to a bunch of p*ssies who feel like they need the right to easily create an arsenal to fend off whatever it is they’re afraid of.

Maybe we need to reopen the mental institutions to help all the people dealing with severe paranoia.
Simply put, gun possession doesn't protect anybody except the guy who pulls his gun first.

The second guy can't possibly pull out his gun fast enough to overcome the first guy who already is pointing his gun at him.

CoH and Ranger are the only 2 I’ve seen propose a possible solution. I guess you could count sgl non-starter.

Otherwise it’s just people shouting at clouds about gun lovers and pussies.

Non-starter? It's no different to the tobacco, gas tax or eventually sugar tax. Someone has to pay for the secondary costs.

Its more palatable than god forbid, making guns more difficult to buy. :rolleyes:

But its like the opioid epidemic.

Nothing gets done since it's making big money for certain companies. You fix that structural problem and then miraculously everything else falls in place.

I’ll be honest with you. I obviously know several gun owners (I live in the US) and I don’t really begrudge them for owning them.

That said, I still don’t get the purpose of owning one. The idea of needing one for “protection” just seems off to me. Being constantly afraid that something is going to happen that’s bad enough that you’d want to shoot someone seems stressful, sad and a little deranged.
A gun won't protect you unless it's already in your hand when the trouble starts.

Fumbling to find your gun in a pocket or holster or gun safe takes too long when the other guy is already aiming at you.

The more I think about lifting immunity I don't see it. You want to impose tort liability on a manufacturer of a nondefective product. A manufacturer operating lawfully in a legal business. As it stands they are found liable for defects and under state law for improper marketing - state's couch it differently: merchandising practices, nuisance, whatever. And naturally you sue everyone. The manufacturer, distributor, gun shop, sales guy, anyone in the chain.

So a guy with no priors, not on papers, no history of mental health issues, who passes a background check loses his shit five years down the road when he's passsssed over (al Pacino voice in scent of a woman) for a promotion and shoots up his office we're going to hold the gun industry accountable?

I don't know. Doesn't seem plausible.

I don't know the answer. But we need one

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Simply put, gun possession doesn't protect anybody except the guy who pulls his gun first.

The second guy can't possibly pull out his gun fast enough to overcome the first guy who already is pointing his gun at him.
Wow that sounds like you had a bad experience at the urinal trough at a Cubs game.

Darrell Brooks used a vehicle. Others use knives.

The larger problem is society. We systematically degrade families. Most of these shooters are loners, outcasts, have no adult male influence, are from dysfunctional homes and angry. Youth suicide is at an all time high. Youth mental health issues are brushed aside. Drugs are all over the place. Too many see government as a surrogate loving family. I think it’s reasonable to assume that Remos was so angry and distraught that he decided to end his life while making others feel like him.

There will most certainly be politicized calls for gun control, hard school defenses, armed school staff, and other bandaids. None of that will be very effective. We have a systematic social problem and we can’t hide that fact with the political racial and identity diversionary side shows that dominates education. .

Every kid has a mom and a dad. That’s inarguable. We need to develop, support, and nurture that relationship.

no reason to conflate issues.
i just wish we weren’t all beholden to a bunch of p*ssies who feel like they need the right to easily create an arsenal to fend off whatever it is they’re afraid of.

Maybe we need to reopen the mental institutions to help all the people dealing with severe paranoia.

I’m in favor of reinstitutionalization but you don’t strike me as the guy that would be okay with locking up first and asking questions second. That’s precisely what we need in this deranged society.

Reactions: ulrey
The more I think about lifting immunity I don't see it. You want to impose tort liability on a manufacturer of a nondefective product. A manufacturer operating lawfully in a legal business. As it stands they are found liable for defects and under state law for improper marketing - state's couch it differently: merchandising practices, nuisance, whatever. And naturally you sue everyone. The manufacturer, distributor, gun shop, sales guy, anyone in the chain.

So a guy with no priors, not on papers, no history of mental health issues, who passes a background check loses his shit five years down the road when he's passsssed over (al Pacino voice in scent of a woman) for a promotion and shoots up his office we're going to hold the gun industry accountable?

I don't know. Doesn't seem plausible.

I don't know the answer. But we need one
Why sell civilians high capacity magazines?

The idea that all or even most gun owners live in a constant state of fear is a caricature of your own making. The firearm owners I know are hunters, law enforcement, former military, people who simply just enjoy target shooting and yes some who are using them for home defense. By and large the people who own guns for home defense aren’t the “arsenal” types you’re talking about. They own one, maybe two hand guns.

When you say “new administration” are you talking locally or did the feds do something to limit off duties at schools? Honest question. I assume most budgetary decisions are made at the local level (if that’s even why they don’t have a resource officer or off duty).
Local. I try to stay away from fed talk.

• Love
Reactions: larsIU
The idea that all or even most gun owners live in a constant state of fear is a caricature of your own making. The firearm owners I know are hunters, law enforcement, former military, people who simply just enjoy target shooting and yes some who are using them for home defense. By and large the people who own guns for home defense aren’t the “arsenal” types you’re talking about. They own one, maybe two hand guns.
most I know are zealots and scream like idiots if anyone proposes any type of gun control

I don’t know if I need a gun for protection or not. I do know I’ve worn a seat belt in my car for more than 60 years and I’ve never needed it.

I still don’t get the reasons for owning one. Even in those instances you mentioned.

Of course. But that caricature helps them convince themselves.

Non-starter? It's no different to the tobacco, gas tax or eventually sugar tax. Someone has to pay for the secondary costs.

Its more palatable than god forbid, making guns more difficult to buy. :rolleyes:

But its like the opioid epidemic.

Nothing gets done since it's making big money for certain companies. You fix that structural problem and then miraculously everything else falls in place.
$100 a shell is a non-starter. I’m pretty sure that is what you posted.

A gun won't protect you unless it's already in your hand when the trouble starts.

Fumbling to find your gun in a pocket or holster or gun safe takes too long when the other guy is already aiming at you.
Guys like this pick targets based on the ease of access and the likelihood that they won’t face any resistance. It’s why no one ever shoots up a police station or a gun club.

IE, if a guy like this loser knows or suspects that someone present has a gun, he goes somewhere else.

Deterrence is a real thing.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Blah blah blah. YAWN. This is a boring argument.

Instead of proposing anything to reduce gun violence, the gun lovers typically say stuff like "It's just a society problem" or "Murderers can always use goldfish bowls or ballpoint pens or some other dangerous weapons to kill, so why should we do anything to prevent more inevitable gun violence that we all see coming?"

You have failed to disguise your wholehearted agreement with it by claiming "The larger problem is society." That is so vague that it means nothing more than "COHoosier sees no reason to reduce gun violence and shootings of little kids at school. It's just a society problem,"

Don't you have anything constructive to offer against the gun problem? Dazzle us next time.
It’s pretty ****ing naive to claim his argument is boring when you’re trying to solve a multivariate problem with univariate thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT