ADVERTISEMENT

Announcement Coming Today (Saturday)

How can one read too much into his comments? He fired the reigning Big Ten coach of the year, someone who had won 2 of the previous 4 conference titles, and then laid out what he expects. People are reading exactly what he said, which is the problem I stated the minute after he stated them. He has laid down a gauntlet of expectations that 99.9% of coaches are going to say go take a hike. He boxed himself into a corner pretending it was the 1980's.
They fired a coach who has missed the tourney 5/9 years at IU.

How can one read too much into his comments? He fired the reigning Big Ten coach of the year, someone who had won 2 of the previous 4 conference titles, and then laid out what he expects. People are reading exactly what he said, which is the problem I stated the minute after he stated them. He has laid down a gauntlet of expectations that 99.9% of coaches are going to say go take a hike. He boxed himself into a corner pretending it was the 1980's.

ace-ventura-wlfJOz0gx0OmMj8pEumd4Q.jpg

Crean is gone so you can crawl out of his jock. Bennett would be a huge upgrade to Crean.

Huge upgrade? The bitching on this board over the years has been because we don't go to Final Fours and win titles in the NCAA tournament.

Tony Bennett is the cure for that? Not based on his history. His first four years at UVA, one NCAA tournament appearance and they were blown out. By the way, that wasn't a major rebuild.

The last four years, two second round losses, one Sweet 16 (not good enough for IU fans), and one Elite 8. The Elite 8 was underperforming, as he was a 1 seed, the same gripes you had with another IU coach.

The problem is that you guys continue to hold one standard for the last guy, but when any of the new guys have the same faults and also not the same accomplishments you think you are entitled to, you look the other way.

Totally Underwhelming hire if he is the guy. But, a nice guy, we will be more consistent, definitely more boring, but no NCAA titles or Final Fours coming from him. Glass would have overpromised and under delivered.

I believe you're right, but that's not my focus.

Memphis could be either Alford or Holtzman based on sweet 16 sites. Likely Holtzman in light of Alford's strong denial. I hope to God you're just speculating and don't have any insight.

Huge upgrade? The bitching on this board over the years has been because we don't go to Final Fours and win titles in the NCAA tournament.

Tony Bennett is the cure for that? Not based on his history. His first four years at UVA, one NCAA tournament appearance and they were blown out. By the way, that wasn't a major rebuild.

The last four years, two second round losses, one Sweet 16 (not good enough for IU fans), and one Elite 8. The Elite 8 was underperforming, as he was a 1 seed, the same gripes you had with another IU coach.

The problem is that you guys continue to hold one standard for the last guy, but when any of the new guys have the same faults and also not the same accomplishments you think you are entitled to, you look the other way.

Totally Underwhelming hire if he is the guy. But, a nice guy, we will be more consistent, definitely more boring, but no NCAA titles or Final Fours coming from him. Glass would have overpromised and under delivered.

LOL no surprise that you can't recognize winning basketball...

Should have used an airplane - badda bing badda boom

But, on further reflection on your reply, nice capitalization!
It seems you're the only one that's picked up on that. Perhaps, I should've Chris-crossed the thesaurus for a better innuendo...

However, it's hard to get a true read from charter flights, especially when they're going to and coming from active sites where sporting events are. I noticed that the same flight is scheduled to go back to Memphis. Could just be a Bloomington- or Indiana-based rich guy, who is attending the games this weekend. For what it's worth, I also saw a flight from Dayton to Bloomington earlier this morning. And, it's not going back.

That's because NCAA Tournament advancement standards are for kindergarten level fans. Stop thinking all of the answers are in your old brackets and you'll start focusing on coaching factors.

Reactions: gator mcCluskey
I guess we should of kept clapping by your reasoning. Its indiana its indiana.

you are unreal...how many national titles did urban Meyer have before he went to Florida? How many did Saban have at Michigan St? How many did Bill Self have at Illinois? What you fail to see is coaches like Archie, Bennett, Marshall are all coaching programs that do not have the resources that IU does.

you are unreal...how many national titles did urban Meyer have before he went to Florida? How many did Saban have at Michigan St? How many did Bill Self have at Illinois? What you fail to see is coaches like Archie, Bennett, Marshall are all coaching programs that do not have the resources that IU does.

Urban Meyer took Utah to an undefeated season, big difference. Bill Self was an assistant at KU.

Archie might be a great hire, my point which is proving to be true, this dumb notion that we are elite is once again exposed. Real elite schools don't make this hire, maybe this finally gets it through your head. We aren't elite. Maybe we will be again, but no elite school would make this hire. NOT A SINGLE ONE. You know why? Because we aren't elite, that's why. Elite coaches aren't coming here.

For a program like IU, it needs either to be some guys related to IU like Steve or someone with major conference experience with major conference titles or National titles on their resumes like Donovan. Mid-major guys are bigger gambles. Not even close to homerun if you ask me.

Do you realize that most great coaches started at a mid major level before getting there big jobs. Get over it, Crean is gone as well as he should be.

Yes, I'm totally aware of that. Do you realize that ELITE programs hire established coaches, not coaches from mid majors? You do realize this, right? Elite programs hire coaches that have won significantly at other programs or come from major programs. This is why UNC hired Williams from KU. This is why KU hired from the Big Ten. This is why Kentucky hired a two time Final Four coach.

That's because NCAA Tournament advancement standards are for kindergarten level fans. Stop thinking all of the answers are in your old brackets and you'll start focusing on coaching factors.

23 years of proof is all I need. UCLA fans want him out. Iowa fans wanted him out. He is what he is. Not an elite coach, not close.

Urban Meyer took Utah to an undefeated season, big difference. Bill Self was an assistant at KU.

Archie might be a great hire, my point which is proving to be true, this dumb notion that we are elite is once again exposed. Real elite schools don't make this hire, maybe this finally gets it through your head. We aren't elite. Maybe we will be again, but no elite school would make this hire. NOT A SINGLE ONE. You know why? Because we aren't elite, that's why. Elite coaches aren't coming here.
Is UCLA elite because there first hire after Wooden retired was Gene Bartow.

Absolutely true. If IU hires Archie Miller, it is saying we are no longer an elite program ourselves. Urban was exceptional when he moved from Utah to Florida. Saban was hired at Michigan St first before going to LSU. MSU was no football powerhouse. It was more like Illinois or Wisconsin in basketball in the big ten. What does Archie miller have? If we go that way with a young coach, I'd rather take a chance on Chris Collins.

Yes, I'm totally aware of that. Do you realize that ELITE programs hire established coaches, not coaches from mid majors? You do realize this, right? Elite programs hire coaches that have won significantly at other programs or come from major programs. This is why UNC hired Williams from KU. This is why KU hired from the Big Ten. This is why Kentucky hired a two time Final Four coach.
UNC also hired Matt Dougherty after only one year at ND.

Reactions: Let 'er Fly
Is UCLA elite because there first hire after Wooden retired was Gene Bartow.

UCLA and IU have so much in common. So many bad hires over the years, but at least Bartow went to the Final Four and took a school from scratch to a tournament in its second year of existence and then NCAAs for 7 straight years. An athletic program that didn't even exist.

UCLA has made bad hire after bad hire. Steve Alford being the latest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT