ADVERTISEMENT

And the hits just keep on coming

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
"The zeal in the Trump administration’s efforts to hunt leakers led to the extraordinary step of subpoenaing communications metadata from members of Congress — a nearly unheard-of move outside of corruption investigations. While Justice Department leak investigations are routine, current and former congressional officials familiar with the inquiry said they could not recall an instance in which the records of lawmakers had been seized as part of one."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/10/us/politics/justice-department-leaks-trump-administration.html

"The zeal in the Trump administration’s efforts to hunt leakers led to the extraordinary step of subpoenaing communications metadata from members of Congress — a nearly unheard-of move outside of corruption investigations. While Justice Department leak investigations are routine, current and former congressional officials familiar with the inquiry said they could not recall an instance in which the records of lawmakers had been seized as part of one."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/10/us/politics/justice-department-leaks-trump-administration.html
No limits to the corruption of this President and the DOJ. The boundaries and norms that Trump crossed should scare all Americans.

Sadly, his base will twist this into a smart power play.

No biggie.
Both sides do it.
AOC.
Stop being so partisan.
You just hate Trump.
Chicago.

found some.

whos-next-album-cover.png

this is a problem way beyond just Trump.

we have made illegal exposing anything power doesn't want exposed, to the point of it being treasonous by those with the power to do so, not by the whistleblowers.

and Obama and Biden are no better than Trump.

Ellsberg, Katherine Graham, Assange, Snowden, and many many others, show we aren't much, if any, better than Russia or anybody else on this.

and while all the media just made a huge deal out of Belarus forcing down a commercial jet to remove a dissident, never did any US media also mention that the US did the same thing to the President of Bolivia's plane over European air space, when they thought Snowden even MIGHT be on the plane.

we can't actually be a free country, when exposing govt secrets and wrongdoing power doesn't want exposed, is made illegal by those with said power, with beyond ridiculous punishment.

Last edited:

More hits from the tiny-handed Dictator. Tucker to excuse in 3...2...1

If you are truly concerned about big government intrusion into your life, this is type of thing should be a red flag. The Trump administration’s use of government to attack enemies is antithetical to conservative principles. Trump was not a small government Republican in the least. Throw in the utter disregard for the rule of law and it’s not hard to see what the conclusion of these actions could have been.

Are you sure about this? Republicans are against intrusive, "deep state" big government, aren't they? 😬

this is a problem way beyond just Trump.

we have made illegal exposing anything power doesn't want exposed, to the point of it being treasonous by those with the power to do so, not by the whistleblowers.

and Obama and Biden are no better than Trump.

Ellsberg, Katherine Graham, Assange, Snowden, and many many others, show we aren't much, if any, better than Russia or anybody else on this.

and while all the media just made a huge deal out of Belarus forcing down a commercial jet to remove a dissident, never did any US media also mention that the US did the same thing to the President of Bolivia's plane over European air space, when they thought Snowden even MIGHT be on the plane.

we can't actually be a free country, when exposing govt secrets and wrongdoing power doesn't want exposed, is made illegal by those with said power, with beyond ridiculous punishment.
Igw not fully responsive to this but congress in general is exceedingly corrupt. I’m for exposing every little thing they do. F em. I’m beginning to appreciate more and more of what you write. Not only is it hypnotic with catchy little phrases there’s nuggets of truth throughout. Just the idea of congressional/committee dues alone breeds corruption. The chief concern for most these people is keeping their job. Thereafter fundraising. Congressional dues. Their own campaigns. Special interest servitude. It’s all bs and it’s all broken. A bunch of self-serving professional fundraisers.

Last edited:
No limits to the corruption of this President and the DOJ. The boundaries and norms that Trump crossed should scare all Americans.

If that’s what scares you and not the system within which congress operates I don’t know what to say. A bunch of look over there bs while special interests shape policy and control Congress like puppets

If you are truly concerned about big government intrusion into your life, this is type of thing should be a red flag. The Trump administration’s use of government to attack enemies is antithetical to conservative principles. Trump was not a small government Republican in the least. Throw in the utter disregard for the rule of law and it’s not hard to see what the conclusion of these actions could have been.
Were you as equally reactive when you learned about what Biden was trying to do to Snowden?

Were you as equally reactive when you learned about what Biden was trying to do to Snowden?
I don’t think of Snowden as a hero. I consider him like I consider those at the IRS who leaked the recent tax information.

I’m on record here saying I was also against the Patriot Act. This stuff hits my libertarian streak. I don’t think government should be spying on its citizens.

Nixon had an Enemies List but, as he bad as he was, he never resorted to this kind of weaponization - - and politicization - - of Justice.

More unprecedented corruption by the "Drain the Swamp" messiah.

Reactions: Bill4411

Been reading more on this.

Justice targeted congressional members of the House Intelligence Committee along with staffers and family members, including a minor. It appears that dozens of individual accounts were targeted/surveilled. The investigation essentially dead-ended when Sessions was at the helm, with no evidence of leaking of confidential information by the targets. However, Sessions' successor, Barr, doubled down (gee, I wonder at whose direction?) and brought in a prosecutor from New Jersey to relaunch the investigation.

This unprecedented abuse of power should be troubling to everyone irrespective of their political stripes. If we turn a blind eye to the abuse of power in the executive branch, it will become the new normal for both Republican and Democrat presidents, with frightening ramifications.

Which brings me to another point. There aren't many controls in place when it comes to the power of the president. Past presidents have largely adhered to custom, they've shown restraint, and they've demonstrated respect for our institutions while in the White House, not because those boundaries are mandated by black letter law but because that's what American presidents have generally and historically done. Even Nixon adhered for the most part to presidential norms and didn't dare leverage the Justice Department in a fishing expedition to bring down his enemies. All of that went out the window with Trump. Justice's Inspector General needs to take a very close look at this.

I don’t think of Snowden as a hero. I consider him like I consider those at the IRS who leaked the recent tax information.

I’m on record here saying I was also against the Patriot Act. This stuff hits my libertarian streak. I don’t think government should be spying on its citizens.
Has it been established that the leaked returns were leaked by personnel of the IRS? Not saying you're wrong, but others besides personnel of the IRS could have leaked those tax returns.

Accountants/tax preparers have copies. Banks, brokers, lenders etc. sometimes receive copies. Other regulatory agencies sometimes have copies. Also, the "Trump Organization" itself consists of about 500 freaking companies, corps, organizations, entities etc., each with its share of employees who may have leaked the material.

Has it been established that the leaked returns were leaked by personnel of the IRS? Not saying you're wrong, but others besides personnel of the IRS could have leaked those tax returns.

Accountants/tax preparers have copies. Banks, brokers, lenders etc. sometimes receive copies. Other regulatory agencies sometimes have copies. Also, the "Trump Organization" itself consists of about 500 freaking companies, corps, organizations, entities etc., each with its share of employees who may have leaked the material.
IIUC, the leak came as one big huge dump. That would indicate it came from a single source. Other than the IRS, the other possible sources you mention would only have bits and pieces from individuals. It would be damn near impossible for a single entity to be able to assemble all those disparate pieces into one dump. Hence, the likely source is an IRS employee with access to individuals' returns.

Justice targeted congressional members of the House Intelligence Committee along with staffers and family members, including a minor. It appears that dozens of individual accounts were targeted/surveilled.

FWIW, according to one talking head the family members'/children's accounts were looked at in case the primary targets had used those devices (rather than their own) in an attempt to avoid detection. Which makes sense in a perverse sort of way.

FWIW, according to one talking head the family members'/children's accounts were looked at in case the primary targets had used those devices (rather than their own) in an attempt to avoid detection. Which makes sense in a perverse sort of way.
Yes, but all of this right now looks overly broad, akin to a fishing expedition, and they came up with nothing. I can't wait to hear what the claimed legal predicate was.

you can't be against both govt spying on it's citizens, and be against blowing the whistle when govt is secretly spying on it's citizens.

you pretty much have to chose one or the other there, do you not.

IIUC, the leak came as one big huge dump. That would indicate it came from a single source. Other than the IRS, the other possible sources you mention would only have bits and pieces from individuals. It would be damn near impossible for a single entity to be able to assemble all those disparate pieces into one dump. Hence, the likely source is an IRS employee with access to individuals' returns.
For what it's worth, the IRS seems to say it did nothing wrong.

Yes, but all of this right now looks overly broad, akin to a fishing expedition, and they came up with nothing. I can't wait to hear what the claimed legal predicate was.
I can't wait to hear from the rogue elements in the DoJ who ran this operation without Barr or Sessions' knowledge.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Been reading more on this.

Justice targeted congressional members of the House Intelligence Committee along with staffers and family members, including a minor. It appears that dozens of individual accounts were targeted/surveilled. The investigation essentially dead-ended when Sessions was at the helm, with no evidence of leaking of confidential information by the targets. However, Sessions' successor, Barr, doubled down (gee, I wonder at whose direction?) and brought in a prosecutor from New Jersey to relaunch the investigation.

This unprecedented abuse of power should be troubling to everyone irrespective of their political stripes. If we turn a blind eye to the abuse of power in the executive branch, it will become the new normal for both Republican and Democrat presidents, with frightening ramifications.

Which brings me to another point. There aren't many controls in place when it comes to the power of the president. Past presidents have largely adhered to custom, they've shown restraint, and they've demonstrated respect for our institutions while in the White House, not because those boundaries are mandated by black letter law but because that's what American presidents have generally and historically done. Even Nixon adhered for the most part to presidential norms and didn't dare leverage the Justice Department in a fishing expedition to bring down his enemies. All of that went out the window with Trump. Justice's Inspector General needs to take a very close look at this.
You never run out of made up bullshit!

To you, Eric Holder doesn't exist.
To you, the politization of the IRS to attack the Tea Party organizations never happened.
To you, Op 'Fast and Furious ' never happened

I truly hope you are fully Vax'd.

You never run out of made up bullshit!

To you, Eric Holder doesn't exist.
To you, the politization of the IRS to attack the Tea Party organizations never happened.
To you, Op 'Fast and Furious ' never happened

I truly hope you are fully Vax'd.
"Made up bullshit?" Do you read anything other than OAN and far-right propaganda?

When was the last time a US president used the Justice Department to subpoena the personal data of members of Congress?

And what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at the My Pillow/Trump rally in Wisconsin this morning? Or getting ready for the Reinstatement?

I can't wait to hear from the rogue elements in the DoJ who ran this operation without Barr or Sessions' knowledge.
Yeah, Sessions and Barr didn't waste any time in issuing statements that they knew nothing about this. Not surprising, given how serious it is. I'm not convinced, though, that this was a subordinate or two that went rogue. And, if that was the case, it's still on one of them (Sessions or Barr) because where was the oversight. Subpoenas are being issued for personal records of members of Congress, and this is not being reviewed and signed off by people at the very highest level of Justice?

Reactions: UncleMark
"Made up bullshit?" Do you read anything other than OAN and far-right propaganda?

When was the last time a US president used the Justice Department to subpoena the personal data of members of Congress?

And what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at the My Pillow/Trump rally in Wisconsin this morning? Or getting ready for the Reinstatement?
Don't watch TV. The dead Border Patrol agent murdered by a weapon provided by Holder is not propaganda.

The IRS attempts to silence Tea Party activists is documented in a 4 year old court decision and the firing of Lois Lerner
who was head of IRS tax-exempt department. Lerner later pleaded the 5th Amendmen many times in Congressional testimony. This is FACT not propagand.

Your gabble on this site is worthless non-factual bullshit .

And, isn't there some Pride party you're missing? I'm sure your 'buddies' are missing you.

Last edited:
Yeah, Sessions and Barr didn't waste any time in issuing statements that they knew nothing about this. Not surprising, given how serious it is. I'm not convinced, though, that this was a subordinate or two that went rogue.
If it was subordinates, you'd think Barr and Sessions would be anxious to get to the bottom of this and clear themselves of responsibility. Any bets on how much they cooperate with the IG to that end?

If it was subordinates, you'd think Barr and Sessions would be anxious to get to the bottom of this and clear themselves of responsibility. Any bets on how much they cooperate with the IG to that end?
They're going to invoke privilege, and it's going to take forever for the IG to issue his report in any event. In the meantime, though, Trump will be indicted for other misconduct.

Hey, remember when the CIA, under Obama, spied on the Senate?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/31/cia-admits-spying-senate-staffers

Yeah, good times. Idiot.

It is edifying to see the unhinged, brainwashed fairy tales 'progressives' spew on this board.
And it's fun watching the meltdown when the facts bitchslap their propaganda.
Thanks for the entertainment .....
Hey, Mas. Tell us again when your miserable excuse for a president - - and miserable excuse for a man - - will return to power. Or, ooh, is he actually still secretly in power, pulling the levers with his tiny little hands from a hidden room at Mar-a-Lago? When will all of this be revealed?

It is edifying to see the unhinged, brainwashed fairy tales 'progressives' spew on this board.
And it's fun watching the meltdown when the facts bitchslap their propaganda.
Thanks for the entertainment .....
Brainwashed? You were the one spouting conspiracy fairytales about how the election would be reversed and Biden would never be the president. I’m sure you still think this is all going down in August.

Trust me, it’s us laughing at your crazy shit. Frankly, I’m happy as a clam (along with most of the free world) that a real leader is now in charge and we’re back in the saddle with our western allies.

Hey, Mas. Tell us again when your miserable excuse for a president - - and miserable excuse for a man - - will return to power. Or, ooh, is he actually still secretly in power, pulling the levers with his tiny little hands from a hidden room at Mar-a-Lago? When will all of this be revealed?

Only the cicadas know for sure.

They're going to invoke privilege, and it's going to take forever for the IG to issue his report in any event. In the meantime, though, Trump will be indicted for other misconduct.

Trump will get his soon enough. I want to get Barr get nailed.

Reactions: Bowlmania
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT