ADVERTISEMENT

All-Time Recruits

mk23

Senior
Dec 7, 2005
Check out this list on 247. It's amazing how many of our "top recruits" were average or worse. Ben Allen? Eli Holman? Joey Shaw? Robert Rothbart? Good grief. I don't even remember some of these guys.

All-Time IU Recruits

Google is your friend mate. I'm not sure why IU fans think they have any ground to stand on based on the *** kicking's we have been piling up on you.
Yeah, even with piss poor coaching IU was still getting NBA talent. And if you want to go there, even Crean managed to win two outright B1G titles. One just 5 years ago, so it hasn’t been that long.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
Google is your friend mate. I'm not sure why IU fans think they have any ground to stand on based on the *** kicking's we have been piling up on you.
For starters, little brother ...we’re not over on GBI talking shit and demanding affirmation. I’d be bitter too if my team hadn’t seem even one F4 in the past 40 yrs. So much for blind squirrels occasionally finding nuts.

You guys haven’t been good since long before Bobby Knight left. And last I checked the kids that didn’t get in to Purdue went to IU. Hell I got scholarship offers from IU and nothing from Purdue. IU has better looking women and IU used to have a better basketball program but that’s it. We get a better education, we make more money, and we kick your *** at basketball. Sorry but it’s true.
Make more money….hahaha. PU engineers work for Kelley grads. I’ve got 5 working for me. The liberal arts folks bring the average down, but PU grads go to school to work for the businesses IU grads run & own. PU, just like basketball, = higher floor, lower ceiling….

Make more money….hahaha. PU engineers work for Kelley grads. I’ve got 5 working for me. The liberal arts folks bring the average down, but PU grads go to school to work for the businesses IU grads run & own. PU, just like basketball, = higher floor, lower ceiling….
Why are you trying to participate in a discussion regarding the academic standings of either school?

Vonleh was a monster his only year here. Easily one of the best players in the B1G that year. I’d argue that Bryant was damn good, too.
Yes he was. And the kid was ridiculed by a large portion of our fan base who didn’t want to put any blame on their cult leader Crean.

Reactions: Myhurricane
The fact that we only have 16 top 50 recruits in 20 years is the exact reason we’ve been so terrible. It’s not game coaching or development or anything else…it’s that stat.

Vonleh was by me, was most considered a huge disappointment. Soft and never around when things mattered. Probably the most underachieving player with the hype since I don't know when. Crean is partly to blame, but Vonleh made sure his draft stock didn't diminish when he "sat out games" due to who knows what. In my book, he's the most overrated player ever in our history.

Vonleh was by me, was most considered a huge disappointment. Soft and never around when things mattered. Probably the most underachieving player with the hype since I don't know when. Crean is partly to blame, but Vonleh made sure his draft stock didn't diminish when he "sat out games" due to who knows what. In my book, he's the most overrated player ever in our history.

I respect your opinion and we vastly underachieved that year, so Noah should take some blame. Will should take the lion share on that team, his senior year was putrid.

Noah did I think lead the team in all time rebounds for a freshmen. 9 rebounds a game, 48.5% from three (only 33 attempts). Very solid numbers. Could question his effort I guess, but with sophomore Yogi and senior Will I wouldn't peg much on Noah that year. Creany was up to his normal tricks.

I know I am beating a dead horse, but it just irks me when someone gives a take like this on Noah(the take doesn't bother me) and yet I am seemingly the only one that has these kind of takes on Romeo. Is being from Southern Indiana just a free pass of criticism??

• Wow
Reactions: jimmygoiu
I disagree. I felt he was hugely skilled and talented but very poorly used. Coach Crean did not ensure the ball went thru Vonleh. We were terrible at feeding the post with his teams. If I had a player on a team I coached with the level of ability that Vonleh had I would have fed that man everytime down the floor. We never really did that. I remember screaming at the guards to get the ball to Vonleh as there were few that could stop him and yet we rarely did.

I disagree. I felt he was hugely skilled and talented but very poorly used. Coach Crean did not ensure the ball went thru Vonleh. We were terrible at feeding the post with his teams. If I had a player on a team I coached with the level of ability that Vonleh had I would have fed that man everytime down the floor. We never really did that. I remember screaming at the guards to get the ball to Vonleh as there were few that could stop him and yet we rarely did.
Vonleh was what he was: a 1 year mercenary who wanted to get to the NBA as fast as he could. IU was just a stopover on that path. I think a player like that can help a team (think Carmelo) but that team will still need a leader on the floor and that 1 year guy generally can't be that too. Vonleh was extremely talented and a good player, but the flaw with his team, imo, was lack of a floor leader, as well as the Coach. Same issue with Romeo, again, imo.

Last edited:
Vonleh was what he was: a 1 year mercenary who wanted to get to the NBA as fast as he could. IU was just a stopover on that path. I think a player like that can help a team (think Carmelo) but that team will still need a leader on the floor and that 1 year guy generally can't be that too. Vonleh was extremely talented and a good player, but the flaw with his team, imo, was lack of a floor leader, as well as the Coach. Same issue with Romeo, again, imo.
best assessment I've seen so far. Losing four 1000 pt scorers and 2 lotto picks after 2013 created a huge vacuum the next season, especially in leadership. The season was a grotesque underachievement and Vonleh's 6 month layover in Btown took much of the blame, and some was deserved, but that was far and away CTC's worst year of coaching at IU. No chemistry on that team whatsoever. A roster that includes Volneh, Yogi, Sheehey, Troy Williams, and the rest of the "Movement"...and can't even make it to the NIT. Honestly the only reason that team ended up with a winning record is by loading up on early winter cupcakes like Samford, Stony Brook and Kennesaw State.

best assessment I've seen so far. Losing four 1000 pt scorers and 2 lotto picks after 2013 created a huge vacuum the next season, especially in leadership. The season was a grotesque underachievement and Vonleh's 6 month layover in Btown took much of the blame, and some was deserved, but that was far and away CTC's worst year of coaching at IU. No chemistry on that team whatsoever. A roster that includes Volneh, Yogi, Sheehey, Troy Williams, and the rest of the "Movement"...and can't even make it to the NIT. Honestly the only reason that team ended up with a winning record is by loading up on early winter cupcakes like Samford, Stony Brook and Kennesaw State.
I think that season showed how good Zeller was, as well as how little “touch” Crean had as a coach. The lack of true preparation, the inability to understand the true strengths and weaknesses of your team, not realizing that you need to feather the throttle from time to time to get the best from players . . . None of those things, which Knight was brilliant at, we’re in any way intuitive to Crean, and that year was yet another revelation of that.

That season was the beginning of the end for Crean, IMO. Fischer took one look around and went home. Even another B1G title couldn't get him over the hump as he appeared to lose control of the team off the court and just generally act a fool in alienating fans and key people in Bloomington.

That season was the beginning of the end for Crean, IMO. Fischer took one look around and went home. Even another B1G title couldn't get him over the hump as he appeared to lose control of the team off the court and just generally act a fool in alienating fans and key people in Bloomington.
Fischer took one sniff and went home. Crean had so little control of that situation because the players largely tuned him out.

Fischer took one sniff and went home. Crean had so little control of that situation because the players largely tuned him out.
Yeah I forgot about Luke Fischer. I know we all anguish over the Cuse game, but his quick exit was really the first sign of the inevitable CTC death spiral coming. Hard to buy that the kid left IU due to "homesickness" and then 3 yrs later decides to set up a career playing ball 5000 miles from home.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion and we vastly underachieved that year, so Noah should take some blame. Will should take the lion share on that team, his senior year was putrid.

Noah did I think lead the team in all time rebounds for a freshmen. 9 rebounds a game, 48.5% from three (only 33 attempts). Very solid numbers. Could question his effort I guess, but with sophomore Yogi and senior Will I wouldn't peg much on Noah that year. Creany was up to his normal tricks.

I know I am beating a dead horse, but it just irks me when someone gives a take like this on Noah(the take doesn't bother me) and yet I am seemingly the only one that has these kind of takes on Romeo. Is being from Southern Indiana just a free pass of criticism??
There have been a huge amount of criticism for Langford on these boards

Romeo and Vonleh's IU legacies are very similar. Maybe the reason I don't get exited about one and done's at IU. Not the best track record in terms of their presence equalling team success.
In some ways I place Eric Gordon in this camp. The team was very good until Calvin got fired. Eric got hurt during the year and missed some time. But when he was on he was really on and enjoyable to watch.

In some ways I place Eric Gordon in this camp. The team was very good until Calvin got fired. Eric got hurt during the year and missed some time. But when he was on he was really on and enjoyable to watch.
seems like we can't get a OaD to stay healthy for their one lone season.

Gordon was one tough kid. But once again, we have a OAD playing for a team that, at least internally, was an absolute mess....for a coach whose days were numbered.

Here's some potentially useless-but also quite telling- bit of trivia:

Name the last IU "One and Done" player who has been part of any IU team that won either a B1G tourney game, or NCAA tourney game.

Some sobering results await.....

Reactions: 82hoosier
seems like we can't get a OaD to stay healthy for their one lone season.

Gordon was one tough kid. But once again, we have a OAD playing for a team that, at least internally, was an absolute mess....for a coach whose days were numbered.

Here's some potentially useless-but also quite telling- bit of trivia:

Name the last IU "One and Done" player who has been part of any IU team that won either a B1G tourney game, or NCAA tourney game.

Some sobering results await.....
I would say none especially because we have not had very many one and dones be a part of IU.

Man you’re really clueless here. Kid worked his butt off for IU and himself. Just a total clown comment.

Were we better off with or without them is the question. It’s not whether or not they’d be your top pick of any player in the country.

Yeah I forgot about Luke Fischer. I know we all anguish over the Cuse game, but his quick exit was really the first sign of the inevitable CTC death spiral coming. Hard to buy that the kid left IU due to "homesickness" and then 3 yrs later decides to set up a career playing ball 5000 miles from home.
The non cult members saw it earlier. You and your crew didn’t see it for a couple years after Fischer left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT